Author Topic: New Rigol 16-bit function generators DG800/900 series  (Read 65683 times)

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
Re: New Rigol 16-bit function generators DG800/900 series
« Reply #625 on: October 11, 2020, 10:50:54 pm »
I have attached my calibration data, I'm working on making some sense of it but I don't read chinese  very well.  I ran a "file" command on it and it tells me that its a dBase III DBT file.  So I downloaded dbview and tried to run it on the file, and it tells me that version 192 is not supported.  So it appears that its some sort of .dbf file, but I dont know how to work with it yet.  Maybe one of you will have better luck than me.

One interesting thing to note: When I entered the SCPI command :CAL:DATE 09/09/2020 as mentioned earlier in this thread, it actually updated the calibration date in the CalibrationInfo.dat file.  So, we know that at least some of those CAL SCPI commands actually do something.

Now if only I could actually decode what exactly was going on in these CalibrationInfo.dat/CalibrationData.dat files...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:12:01 am by SMB784 »

The following users thanked this post: ultranalog

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2020, 07:35:24 pm »
I've tried identifying the contents of these files via few methods, some of which is somewhat illuminating, others contradictory.  I have attached the outputs in this reply.  If this looks familiar, let me know.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:38:37 pm by SMB784 »

Offline TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #627 on: October 17, 2020, 01:34:08 pm »
Anybody succeeded with @rea's approach to get access to the "running" dg800?

I ran the .gel script which apparently worked and then tried to log into the instrument with a USB-network adapter via a putty client. Trying on port 5555 stalls the client, port 22 seems to work half-way, which means I get a login prompt. But the supplied password won't get me in. Could it be possible that I didn't configure the encryption settings properly? If I try to access port 22 with telnet, I only get some unreadable garbage as return which indicates to me that the encryption via putty is probably working. But I'm just not too experienced with this networking stuff. Maybe I should add: Communicating with the DG800 over this connection with SCPI commands (ID, screenshots and the like) works beautifully so the link itself seems to be operational.

It's not that I really need this but peeking around a little in the instument may be fun  ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline rea

• Contributor
« Reply #628 on: October 17, 2020, 04:05:43 pm »
Thomas, good day.

I ran the .gel script which apparently worked and then tried to log into the instrument with a USB-network adapter via a putty client. Trying on port 5555 stalls the client,
... which makes sense: port 5555 isn't running SSH.

port 22 seems to work half-way, which means I get a login prompt. But the supplied password won't get me in. Could it be possible that I didn't configure the encryption settings properly?

In order for SSH access to work, you should get the provided SSH key, http://codelabs.ru/firmware/rigol/dg8xx-9xx/2.05.00-enable-ssh/id_rsa-rigol-dg, and make your SSH client to use it for logging in (as user "root").  For Putty the import of the SSH key can be done like described here: https://devops.ionos.com/tutorials/use-ssh-keys-with-putty-on-windows/#use-existing-public-and-private-keys

If I try to access port 22 with telnet, I only get some unreadable garbage as return which indicates to me that the encryption via putty is probably working.

This "garbage" isn't a complete junk.  The first line should read "SSH-2.0-dropbear_2016.74" and the second (that is much longer) should have something like "curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1,kexguess2@matt.ucc.asn.au#ecdsa-sha2-nistp521,ssh-rsa,ssh-dssgaes128-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc,twofish256-cbc,twofish-cbc,twofish128-cbc,3des-ctr,3des-cbcgaes128-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc,twofish256-cbc,twofish-cbc,twofish128-cbc,3des-ctr,3des-cbc;hmac-sha1-96,hmac-sha1,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-md5;hmac-sha1-96,hmac-sha1,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-md5none" in it.  In fact, that's the beginning of a standard SSH server protocol exchange.

HTH.

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #629 on: October 17, 2020, 05:21:46 pm »
Anybody succeeded with @rea's approach to get access to the "running" dg800?

I ran the .gel script which apparently worked and then tried to log into the instrument with a USB-network adapter via a putty client. Trying on port 5555 stalls the client, port 22 seems to work half-way, which means I get a login prompt. But the supplied password won't get me in. Could it be possible that I didn't configure the encryption settings properly? If I try to access port 22 with telnet, I only get some unreadable garbage as return which indicates to me that the encryption via putty is probably working. But I'm just not too experienced with this networking stuff. Maybe I should add: Communicating with the DG800 over this connection with SCPI commands (ID, screenshots and the like) works beautifully so the link itself seems to be operational.

It's not that I really need this but peeking around a little in the instument may be fun  ;)

I havent tried yet, it's next on my list of things to do.

On a different note, after trying and failing to make heads or tails of the CalibrationData.dat file I decided to hex dump the file and see if that helps anyone get an idea of what is going on with it.  Hex dump is attached.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:39:40 pm by SMB784 »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #630 on: October 17, 2020, 05:51:05 pm »
On a different note, after trying and failing to make heads or tails of the CalibrationData.dat file I decided to hex dump the file and see if that helps anyone get an idea of what is going on with it.  Hex dump is attached.

I think those files are unique to this instrument. They don't seem to follow any format.

The only way, besides reversing the whole thing, is trial and error. Unless someone sees any similarities with other instruments.

I think it would be important to study the impact of SCPI commands on their contents.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #631 on: October 17, 2020, 05:58:49 pm »

I think those files are unique to this instrument. They don't seem to follow any format.

The only way, besides reversing the whole thing, is trial and error. Unless someone sees any similarities with other instruments.

I think it would be important to study the impact of SCPI commands on their contents.

I am beginning to think the same thing.  I was gonna start trying some of the SCPI commands I dug up in my earlier dumps and your script that spits out the cal files to see if I can induce any change.

Just so I feel better about this process, do you think it's possible to put together a script that would allow me to overwrite any changes to the CAL file with the original cal file I posted in this thread?  I would like to be able to restore any changes I might make in case I screw something up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:03:27 pm by SMB784 »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #632 on: October 17, 2020, 06:04:51 pm »
I'll have a look.

The following users thanked this post: SMB784

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:09 pm »
I'll have a look.

If not, I can probably just use the SSH script to telnet into the unit and directly replace the files via ssh.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #634 on: October 17, 2020, 09:48:00 pm »
I've been meaning to purchase a 822 for a while now, and this thread is not helping me abandon the idea.  ;D
I like that they can be hacked to unlock more features, but I guess I wouldn't make it behave as a model that exceeds its calibration point if I don't have how to make it work correctly in the full range (So I guess I'd transform it into a DG952 at most).

Anyway, I'll be following this thread now because I have a problem and can't stop buying devices I don't really need.  :-DD

(Also, thanks to all the amazing people in this threat who has contributed to unearth the secrets of these devices, and unlock their capabilities)

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #635 on: October 17, 2020, 10:22:35 pm »
I've been meaning to purchase a 822 for a while now, and this thread is not helping me abandon the idea.  ;D
I like that they can be hacked to unlock more features, but I guess I wouldn't make it behave as a model that exceeds its calibration point if I don't have how to make it work correctly in the full range (So I guess I'd transform it into a DG952 at most).

Anyway, I'll be following this thread now because I have a problem and can't stop buying devices I don't really need.  :-DD

(Also, thanks to all the amazing people in this threat who has contributed to unearth the secrets of these devices, and unlock their capabilities)

Don't spend the extra on the 822, just get the 811.  The second channel is enabled through software described above.  No reason to pay extra when the 811 does what you need!

The following users thanked this post: battlecoder

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #636 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:43 pm »
Don't spend the extra on the 822, just get the 811.  The second channel is enabled through software described above.  No reason to pay extra when the 811 does what you need!
I would normally agree on that, but if -for whatever reason- I'm unable to perform the "upgrade" I would not like to be stuck with only 1 channel. I will ask the store if they have stock of the 811 if (when) I do the purchase. If the price difference is considerable then I'll definitely go for the 811, but considering how wildly different pricing is here, that may not be the case.

Offline TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #637 on: October 17, 2020, 11:36:43 pm »
@rea:

Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction. The instruction how to convert the supplied private key file to the format PuTTY is expecting, was what I had been missing... Now the login works a treat and I already transfered the complete file system to my PC using "psftp".

I went through most of the files and as it seems, there is no interactive calibration function available in these AWGs (DG800/900/2000). It appears that Rigol only made provisions for calibrating these units via SCPI commands. If we would be able to retrieve a set of cal files from a genuine DG992, we might be able to assemble a hybrid cal file by patching the resident cal files with the additional information (always assuming that the hardware won't differ too much -- tolerance-wise that is). I may be completely in error with this assumption, though. But it may anyway help us to understand how the cal files are structured. For comparison, I attached the cal files of my AWG that started life as a DG811.

@battlecoder: Don't worry and just get the DG811. The hardware of the latter and the DG900 is identical except for the casing colour (...). This can be officially verified since considerable time ago, a chinese language service manual for these instruments surfaced, stating exactly the same P/N for the main PCB for these two instruments. Moreover, AFAIK there even is/was an update option by Rigol to add the second channel to single-channel versions of the AWG.

Edit: both attached cal files had the extension *.dat, had to rename them to meet the forum attachment requirements
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:00:01 pm by TurboTom »

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #638 on: October 18, 2020, 12:57:26 am »
@rea:

Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction. The instruction how to convert the supplied private key file to the format PuTTY is expecting, was what I had been missing... Now the login works a treat and I already transfered the complete file system to my PC using "psftp".

I went through most of the files and as it seems, there is no interactive calibration function available in these AWGs (DG800/900/2000). It appears that Rigol only made provisions for calibrating these units via SCPI commands. If we would be able to retrieve a set of cal files from a genuine DG992, we might be able to assemble a hybrid cal file by patching the resident cal files with the additional information (always assuming that the hardware won't differ too much). I may be completely in error with this assumption, though. But it may anyway help us to understand how the cal files are structured. For comparison, I attached the cal files of my AWG that started life as a DG811.

@battlecoder: Don't worry and just get the DG811. The hardware of the latter and the DG900 is identical except for the casing colour (...). This can be officially verified since considerable time ago, a chinese language service manual for these instruments surfaced, stating exactly the same P/N for the main PCB for these two instruments. Moreover, AFAIK there even is/was an update option by Rigol to add the second channel to single-channel versions of the AWG.

Edit: both attached cal files had the extension *.dat, had to rename them to meet the forum attachment requirements

Apparently the cal directory (under /root/cal) is mounted at some point.  See the bash script file I attached and look for the /root/cal section

Also, can you do a search of the file system for a file called ServCalibration.cpp?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:08:22 am by SMB784 »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #639 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:05 am »
If we would be able to retrieve a set of cal files from a genuine DG992, we might be able to assemble a hybrid cal file

That's an excellent, and probably the best, idea.

Also, can you do a search of the file system for a file called ServCalibration.cpp?

That is the source file in development (C++). You only get its compiled output.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #640 on: October 18, 2020, 10:22:38 am »
Focusing on CalibrationData.dat, and trying to reduce our analysis area:

The file has 2 exact halves (maybe for backup). So we can split it in 2 and disregard the 2nd half (#2).

Just looking at 1st half (#1):

If we take into account that the first 2-bytes are CRC/checksum, we can further split the file in 2, assuming that there are 2 channels calib, at the 0x5824 mark.

If we compare these remaining 2 files (1a and 1b), we see lots of similarities. Maybe we can even swap both blocks and that would swap the calib of both channels...

Attached is a visual mapping (raw) of half #1 and the splittings that I talked about.

If anyone wants to try assembling something I may have a look at the CRC/checksum to see how that's done.

The following users thanked this post: TurboTom

Offline TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #641 on: October 18, 2020, 03:54:09 pm »
The calibration files appear to consist of 32 bit signed integers. I removed a few bytes at the start to align the four-byte boundaries properly and converted them to decimal, keeping 16-byte groups so it's comparable with the typical hex editor arrangement. There are surprisingly many "round" numbers in the list, whatever that may mean. But have a look yourself...

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #642 on: October 18, 2020, 04:22:13 pm »
Focusing on CalibrationData.dat, and trying to reduce our analysis area:

The file has 2 exact halves (maybe for backup). So we can split it in 2 and disregard the 2nd half (#2).

Just looking at 1st half (#1):

If we take into account that the first 2-bytes are CRC/checksum, we can further split the file in 2, assuming that there are 2 channels calib, at the 0x5824 mark.

If we compare these remaining 2 files (1a and 1b), we see lots of similarities. Maybe we can even swap both blocks and that would swap the calib of both channels...

Attached is a visual mapping (raw) of half #1 and the splittings that I talked about.

If anyone wants to try assembling something I may have a look at the CRC/checksum to see how that's done.

If indeed one of the halves is a backup, I wonder if that backup is common to all models of with the same model number.  I have attached my CalibrationData.dat file to compare.  I tried doing a diff between the hexdumps of TurboTom's file and my own, and I saw some significant differences, as well as some areas that were common between both.  Not sure what to make of that just yet.

The calibration files appear to consist of 32 bit signed integers. I removed a few bytes at the start to align the four-byte boundaries properly and converted them to decimal, keeping 16-byte groups so it's comparable with the typical hex editor arrangement. There are surprisingly many "round" numbers in the list, whatever that may mean. But have a look yourself...

Its possible that these 32 bit signed integers actually represent decimal numbers, as it isn't possible to tell where the decimal is intended to go in a binary/hexadecimal number.  I wonder if that is what we are looking at.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:33:41 pm by SMB784 »

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #643 on: October 19, 2020, 09:17:14 pm »
Unfortunately the *ONE* company importing that line of devices here does not have the DG811. The lower they go is the DG822, from what they told me today.

Offline u271D

• Contributor
« Reply #644 on: October 31, 2020, 07:51:07 pm »
bump  Looks like some progress was forthcoming on the calibration issue. Then the thread died.
Great work though!!

\Thanks/   

Offline Coder69

• Contributor
« Reply #645 on: November 01, 2020, 09:13:16 am »
If there is a calibration file for a DG992 available it would be possible to compare ist with files for DG800.
One shot could be to use the DG992 file in a DG800 and check out the impact.
Thanks for your work, it is very interesting to read this thread  ;D

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #646 on: November 01, 2020, 07:05:26 pm »
bump  Looks like some progress was forthcoming on the calibration issue. Then the thread died.
Great work though!!

\Thanks/

It hasn't died, I have just been traveling for the past few days. But I'm back now and will be trying done SCPI commands for calibration purposes soon.

Offline Coder69

• Contributor
« Reply #647 on: November 05, 2020, 06:22:08 pm »
As I have just successfully upgraded my DG812 to DG992 I would like to post yet another summary of the required steps.

0. Note your DG's serial number if you care.

1. If you have software version higher than 00.01.08.xx.xx you need to downgrade to version 1.08 using specially modified GEL file to allow downgrade (as described by evgbog here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/msg3017342/#msg3017342).
My contribution is that I've prepared modified GEL file, available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16nC-uJ12MXilJElv4Eukvt1IW4RzGdb7/view?usp=sharing
Put the file on USB stick, plug it into your DG and accept "update" when popup shows. WARNING! This "upgrade" will reset your SN to DG80000000001 but convert your unit into DG992 immediately. This is the effect of the downgrade itself - the firmware is official Rigol firmware. The modification only changes the boot script to allow downgrade.

As a side note, I don't see a point in using hex editor in evgbog method of preparing the GEL. Those GELs are tar files as mentioned by tv84. I prepared the file by simply untaring it, decrypting fw4uboot.sh, modifying it, encrypting it back (you need to maintain file size) and finally TARing everything back into GEL file using 7zip.

2. Prepare a "magic" USB stick. Format USB stick as FAT32 (stick MUST BE BIGGER than 1GB). Open it in HxD editor as LOGICAL DISK (not physical disk - I did that mistake) Tools->Open Disk (uncheck "open as readonly"). Jump to sector 2000000 (sector field is at the top right corner). Enter value manually or use "Paste write" in edit menu (Ctrl+B). Magic value: 0B0A3B2E5F4CECBE

3. Insert the magic stick into DG (make sure it is recognized and USB icon is shown) and connect the instrument with the computer (using USB A-B cable and downloading Rigol's bloatware UltraSigma is the easiest way). Open SCPI command panel, check communication by issuing *IDN? command (use Send & Read). Send command :PROJ:SN DGxxxxxxxxxx with your correct SN number noted in step 0 (use Send command, DO NOT USE Send & Read). Verify if it worked by sending another *IDN? command - it should report back with correct serial number. Now send command :PROJ:MODE DG992. You can disconnect the instrument from PC and remove USB stick.

4. Edit: This step is only needed if your purchase version was higher than v1.08 and you did step 1 Download tv84's "Finish_Upgrade_2.04.zip" from this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/msg3119264/#msg3119264
Put this GEL file on USB stick, plug into DG and confirm update when popup shows.

5. Download official 2.04 firmware from Rigol: https://int.rigol.com/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/files/ftp/DG/软固件/SardineII(ARM)Update-v00.02.04.00.00.rar
No logging in required :-DD
Put GEL file on USB stick (delete the previous one), upgrade DG and enjoy ;D
Serial number should be kept and model should be DG992.

All credits go to tv84, bulba99, evgbog and others who helped to create this hack!

I have a DG811 with firmware v00.02.02.00.00 on the bench and I am not sure how to proceed. I tried to follow the instruction above, but unfortunately step 1 doesn't work. he USB stick is recogniized and  a message box pops up and I confirm the update procedure. Then I can see a "Wait" message and can hear the clicking if the internal relais. After then the message box pops up and asks again for the update.
I read almost the complete thread and also read that the downgrade is locked in 2.02/2.04. That means that the instruction above only valid for V1.09, doesn't it ?
I have also read that there is a procedere for 2.02. Can anybody help ? Thanks in advance :-)

Offline jscm2000

• Contributor
« Reply #648 on: November 07, 2020, 09:44:48 am »
As I have just successfully upgraded my DG812 to DG992 I would like to post yet another summary of the required steps.

0. Note your DG's serial number if you care.

1. If you have software version higher than 00.01.08.xx.xx you need to downgrade to version 1.08 using specially modified GEL file to allow downgrade (as described by evgbog here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/msg3017342/#msg3017342).
My contribution is that I've prepared modified GEL file, available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16nC-uJ12MXilJElv4Eukvt1IW4RzGdb7/view?usp=sharing
Put the file on USB stick, plug it into your DG and accept "update" when popup shows. WARNING! This "upgrade" will reset your SN to DG80000000001 but convert your unit into DG992 immediately. This is the effect of the downgrade itself - the firmware is official Rigol firmware. The modification only changes the boot script to allow downgrade.

As a side note, I don't see a point in using hex editor in evgbog method of preparing the GEL. Those GELs are tar files as mentioned by tv84. I prepared the file by simply untaring it, decrypting fw4uboot.sh, modifying it, encrypting it back (you need to maintain file size) and finally TARing everything back into GEL file using 7zip.

2. Prepare a "magic" USB stick. Format USB stick as FAT32 (stick MUST BE BIGGER than 1GB). Open it in HxD editor as LOGICAL DISK (not physical disk - I did that mistake) Tools->Open Disk (uncheck "open as readonly"). Jump to sector 2000000 (sector field is at the top right corner). Enter value manually or use "Paste write" in edit menu (Ctrl+B). Magic value: 0B0A3B2E5F4CECBE

3. Insert the magic stick into DG (make sure it is recognized and USB icon is shown) and connect the instrument with the computer (using USB A-B cable and downloading Rigol's bloatware UltraSigma is the easiest way). Open SCPI command panel, check communication by issuing *IDN? command (use Send & Read). Send command :PROJ:SN DGxxxxxxxxxx with your correct SN number noted in step 0 (use Send command, DO NOT USE Send & Read). Verify if it worked by sending another *IDN? command - it should report back with correct serial number. Now send command :PROJ:MODE DG992. You can disconnect the instrument from PC and remove USB stick.

4. Edit: This step is only needed if your purchase version was higher than v1.08 and you did step 1 Download tv84's "Finish_Upgrade_2.04.zip" from this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/msg3119264/#msg3119264
Put this GEL file on USB stick, plug into DG and confirm update when popup shows.

5. Download official 2.04 firmware from Rigol: https://int.rigol.com/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/files/ftp/DG/软固件/SardineII(ARM)Update-v00.02.04.00.00.rar
No logging in required :-DD
Put GEL file on USB stick (delete the previous one), upgrade DG and enjoy ;D
Serial number should be kept and model should be DG992.

All credits go to tv84, bulba99, evgbog and others who helped to create this hack!

I have a DG811 with firmware v00.02.02.00.00 on the bench and I am not sure how to proceed. I tried to follow the instruction above, but unfortunately step 1 doesn't work. he USB stick is recogniized and  a message box pops up and I confirm the update procedure. Then I can see a "Wait" message and can hear the clicking if the internal relais. After then the message box pops up and asks again for the update.
I read almost the complete thread and also read that the downgrade is locked in 2.02/2.04. That means that the instruction above only valid for V1.09, doesn't it ?
I have also read that there is a procedere for 2.02. Can anybody help ? Thanks in advance :-)

After booting up, immediately press the help button to downgrade.

The following users thanked this post: Coder69

Offline Coder69

• Contributor
« Reply #649 on: November 07, 2020, 07:07:31 pm »
Thanks, jscm2000. It was possible to downgrade to firmware version 1.08.01
The device is now a DG992 with serial number 0. I tried out the next step to prepare the magic USB-stick, which didn't work. A new serial number is not accepted by DG. I tried three sticks (2GB, 8GB and 16GB). The 2GB stick wasn't recognised, but after connecting the 8GB and the 16GB a box opened with the message "Wait". I tried out to use HXD (Windows 10) and tried out the command line tv84 posted with the same negative result. At the moment I am done (worked 3h on this  |O)
I read that some guys had similar problems. Maybe one of you can give a broad hint  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf