Author Topic: Confused Noob on Logic Analysis capabilities of Osciliscopes DHO914S  (Read 1143 times)

Offline simonboydfoleyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Guys,
            a muppet here trying to save some time and avoid traps for new players. I'm interested in analyzing SPI and CAN bus signals and I have used cheap signal analyzers from amazon that connect to my PC and work OK. I have a basic Hantek oscilloscope that I hacked and ..... yeh it like the village bicycle ... I want to upgrade, and I was looking at the DHO914S that has an integrated logic analyzer ... but when I search for the cable that connects to the logic analyzer on this scope PLA2216  ....   I get quotes for 400-500 GBP just for the cable that connects to the oscilloscope ..... Am I going nuts ?  My open source sigrok solution setup is a fraction of the cost at 20-50 GBP and yet these guys want 400-500 GBP for a cable that I can probably make myself using my 3d printer ?

Am I being stupid ? 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:48:13 am by simonboydfoley »

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Confused Noob on Logic Analysis capabilities of Osciliscopes DHO914S
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:49:14 am »
Search the forum for PLA2216 and you will find a few DIY options.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 03:06:40 am »
Am I going nuts ? Am I being stupid ?

Nope.

They're not just cables, have high speed comparators in them with programmable threshold voltages, but the price is still a bit of a ripoff.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 04:29:26 am »
Search the forum for PLA2216 and you will find a few DIY options.

There are also clones available on eBay for around $80 USD.  Likely based on the DIY threads here.  I can't vouch for the quality, so do whatever due diligence you need before you decide to take the plunge.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 04:51:54 am »
You can do serial decoding without the PLA2216.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 10:15:00 am »
There are also clones available on eBay for around $80 USD.  Likely based on the DIY threads here.  I can't vouch for the quality, so do whatever due diligence you need before you decide to take the plunge.

The low-cost solution on ebay does not have the proper comparators, but just standard CMOS-to-differential-pair drivers. I.e. it is not possible to set the low/high threshold via the scope software, but it is fixed at 1.5 V or so -- which is OK if you only want to probe 3.3V and 5V logic. It also comes with a more bulky, standard ribbon cable and cheap grabbers, so the ergonomics are worse than with Rigol's solution.

I first thought "ripoff!" as well when I saw Rigol's price. But if you look at the cost of building a DIY solution with the same comparators and quality grabbers, it turns out you can't save that much (if you want the full functionality and quality).

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 11:50:42 am »
I get quotes for 400-500 GBP just for the cable that connects to the oscilloscope ..... Am I going nuts ?
its not just cable, its called logic probe.. as others have mentioned, it got 8pcs LMH7322 in it, costed me $100 of money damage from Mouser just on the chips, 3d printed enclosure is another story, the chip size 4mm x 4mm and try to solder it on pcb is another more story... as others have mentioned too, you dont need it if all you want is to decode serial data... you dont even need the DHO "S" model. the LA probe only for parallel 16 bits, and GUI is pretty basic on the S model. here there thread they talked about... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rpl1116-active-logic-probe-pod-for-1000z-series-teardown/ ymmv.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:52:58 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 12:40:13 pm »
Thanks for the help guys appreciated

I'll do some more digging to see if its worth paying for the logic analyzer capabilities in the scope or sticking with my Sigrok solutions :-)
most of my stuff is Arduino / Pico SoC GPIO SPI & 3D Printing Canbus analysis so we would be looking 3-5v.   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:22:12 am by simonboydfoley »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 03:21:41 am »
After doing some digging and reading the manual I can get away with the onboard 4 channel decoding of SPI (My old Hantek DSO5102P series Scope only had 2 Channels) , as you guys have stated I don't need to use the LA interface for what I am doing. This means I don't need to buy the PLA2216.

I have ordered the DHO914S so I always have the option in the future of using the LA if I need more logic channels and the onboard AFG means I can save some more desk real estate.

I suspect I can hack it to 250MHz like I hacked the Hantek to 200MHz.

This unit is perfect I can connect it to my microscope monitor via HDMI  as well for my failing eyesight  :D

Thanks for all your help .... really appreciated ... its going to be a revelation to have a decent scope ....the Hantek barley got me by :-)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 03:30:27 am »
I suspect I can hack it to 250MHz like I hacked the Hantek to 200MHz.
definitely can! ignore the siglent naysayers spitting bullsheet about aliasing ;D...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho804-bode-plot
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf