Author Topic: New Rigol 16-bit function generators DG800/900 series  (Read 194790 times)

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol 16-bit function generators DG800/900 series
« Reply #800 on: September 08, 2021, 09:52:34 pm »
Try going to 1.8, check that all is good (model and S/N) and then flash 2.04->2.05->2.06.

The following users thanked this post: Swat

Offline Swat

• Contributor
« Reply #801 on: September 08, 2021, 10:12:06 pm »
Thanks  :)  I'll try it tomorrow!

Oh, I bought the generator recently, and when I wanted to download (just in case) the 2.05 firmware, it wasn't even available anymore. So I only have the last 2.06.
Maybe someone can help me, please ?!

Edit: I found version 2.05, thank you Bulba!
Edit: I found version 2.04, thank you vtech!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:07:05 pm by Swat »

Offline Swat

• Contributor
« Reply #802 on: September 09, 2021, 10:01:16 am »
Hi guys,
I'm excited, my generator works as a model 992 with the latest firmware version 02.06. I followed the advice of tv84 and it worked. Thanks to everyone who contributed for an admirable work  :-+
1266265-01266271-11266277-21266283-3

The following users thanked this post: blubillcanada

Offline kikis

« Reply #803 on: September 09, 2021, 10:53:33 am »
Hi Swat
did you apply Finish_Upgrade_2.04.zip?

Offline Swat

• Contributor
« Reply #804 on: September 09, 2021, 11:23:23 am »
Hi Swat
No, just the official 2.04 firmware.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: September 09, 2021, 11:34:11 am »
Hi Swat

I've said it before: Finish_Upgrade should be used only by people that have a DG which came initially with v2.04. It doesn't do harm to others but it also doesn't do any good.

Offline pizzigri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #806 on: September 22, 2021, 03:48:27 pm »
These equipments have 2 Option licenses:

DG800-ARB8M - ARB  - Memory Depth Upgrade Option
DG800-DCH   - DCH  - Single-dual CH Upgrade Option

In the latest FW version (1.09.xx), Rigol implemented a 3rd "license" (called 'TYPE') to validate Model conversion.

Maybe in the future Rigol will start selling this option and officially support upgrading Models via that scheme.

I was wondering whether there is a possibility to activate the ARB8M as well... since the DCH option is automatically activated with the hack.
Asking this because I'm preparing to purchase a DG811 to play with soon.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #807 on: September 22, 2021, 04:35:29 pm »
I was wondering whether there is a possibility to activate the ARB8M as well... since the DCH option is automatically activated with the hack.
Asking this because I'm preparing to purchase a DG811 to play with soon.

Both options are activated in DG900 series by default.

The following users thanked this post: pizzigri

Offline pizzigri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #808 on: September 22, 2021, 04:51:19 pm »
Great! It wasn't clear, but now I got it.
Thank you!

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2021, 06:09:40 pm »
I hope no one minds me summing up the steps one more time for clarity. It's other peoples hard work we have this, not mine.
I finally got DG811 and read through this thread again.
Just so people don't have to read through all the posts and worry if they missed something.
My DG811 came with version 02.05.

Make a note of your serial number.
(On my device it can be still found on the back on a sticker)

Using:
- Windows 10 laptop, latest version
- 4GB USB drive formatted FAT32 with 4096 sector size with windows formatting tool. No magic on the USB drive at all.

All rar, zip archives files contain SardineUpdate.GEL file and that needs to be extracted from the archive and placed into root of formatted USB drive.
You don't need anything else.

-----------------------------
OPTIONAL STEP - Backup calibration and internal memory

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/i91yEJRa#rRocE7s31SXCFvfQgmwkFF45v3vF9R8A0yb8PmfM4Hc on the root of USB drive.
Turn on Rigol device.
Plug in USB drive into rigol device.
Rigol detects update file and prompts for update.
Click yes.
Rigol displays Waiting and spinning wheel.
Rigol detects update file and prompts for update a second time.
Click cancel.
Unplug USB drive from rigol.
Plug USB Drive into computer to save dumped files.
adds two folders to USB drive:
- cal
- Internal Memory

OPTIONAL STEP - Backup NAND

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/P0lSVTJI#lccrNrvA2JOcZUqgvpV5dOT0-CweNUH5GWuzty4WkFw on the root of USB drive.
Turn on Rigol device.
Plug in USB drive into rigol device.
Rigol detects update file and prompts for update.
Click yes.
Rigol displays Waiting and spinning wheel.
Rigol detects update file and prompts for update a second time.
Click cancel.
Unplug USB drive from rigol.
Plug USB Drive into computer to save dumped files.

NAND Backup script adds 14 files mtd#_NANDxxxxxxx about 500MB in size
takes a short while longer than backup calibration

STEP - Downgrade to 01.08.01

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/bxtkUJyA#hg0H1bxcOMeBNW6zbOwJvxEYqWtyL_UXmftwTMTBuWg on the root of USB drive.
Turn off Rigol device
Plug in USB drive
Turn on Rigol device and repeatedly press help button until you notice it detected firmware
Rigol displays: Upgrade from usb disk, reading...
Rigol displays: Upgrading (x/x) flash images...
Rigol resets into DG992 model 1.08 firmware.
(don't worry about unplugging usb drive)

STEP - Upgrade to latest firmware version 02.06.01

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/L51wBJrA#ZTDJ6_mi-U4N03YW7YrRVj-pgHYRTdB4z1yaSQmmD3I on the root of USB drive.
Turn on Rigol device
Plug in USB drive
Rigol prompts to upgrade
Click yes
Rigol displays Waiting and spinning wheel
Rigol restarts
Rigol resets into DG811 model 2.06 firmware.

STEP - Reconfuse Rigol into thinking DG992 way

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/f01EkZRK#HCifK9T-fDxB5RNpAtYNkKdPE7Rrh_6XZcvMV_quLng on the root of USB drive.
Turn on Rigol device
Plug in USB drive
Rigol prompts to upgrade
Click yes
Rigol displays Waiting and spinning wheel
Rigol restarts
Rigol resets into DG992 model 2.06 firmware.

OPTIONAL STEP - WRITE SERIAL NUMBER TO DEVICE

Download "Ultra Sigma (PC)Installer" 00.01.06.01 Rigol software from https://www.rigol.eu/En/Index/listView/catid/28/tp/5/wd/ultra%20sigma and install it.
(The software asks to disable fast boot in windows. I chose not to disable fast boot)
If the link does not work try https://www.rigol.eu/products/waveform-generators/dg900.html -> Download -> software-firmware download -> software download -> search for "ultra sigma"
Software is about 500MB download and takes relatively long time to install and requires a computer restart.
I backed up the software here: https://mega.nz/file/HpU1hQKB#BMuIwve2RK0FiX3OOBGYyb4VcWkl4HSxBDJP0kXaHBw

Power on RIGOL device.
Open Ultra Sigma software
Connect Rigol device to PC via USB-A to USB-B (printer) cable.
Rigol is recognized by Ultra Sigma as DG992
Right-click "DG992 (USB0: :0x1ABa: :0x0643: :DG80000000001: :INSTR)"  or something similar and select "SCPI panel control" (new window opens)
Write commands without quotes!
Check communication by issuing "*IDN?" command: Write "*IDN?" into the textbox, press "Send Command" than press "Read Command".
Rigol returns something like:
<- (Return Count:55)
Rigol Technologies,DG992,DG80000000001,00.02.06.00.01
Issue command with Send Command button ":PROJ:SN DG80000000001" with your correct serial number instead of DG80000000001, Click Send
Verify if it worked by sending another "*IDN?" command - it should report back with correct serial number
Disconnect the instrument from PC.

All files are just reuploaded files found on this thread, archives untouched.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:01:15 pm by mandor »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2021, 08:20:36 pm »
I hope no one minds me summing up the steps one more time for clarity. It's other peoples hard work we have this, not mine.

It's misleading such a detailed procedure to end up without a valid S/N. You missed the steps to keep the S/N!

The following users thanked this post: mandor, LuisBe, tuxfanx

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #811 on: September 30, 2021, 11:24:36 am »
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't think that is an issue as I have a label with the serial number on the back of the machine anyway so it won't get lost.

The problem is I don't know how to do it. I wanted to add it now but I'm not sure what the "Ultra sigma bloatware" is. If I look at https://www.rigolna.com/download/ I see "Ultra Sigma Instrument Connectivity Driver" listed as software among other files. I can't download it, it just fails. And not sure if that is the only file I need or do I need any other drivers from there.

And I am confused about do we need the magic USB drive, which specific GEL file should be on it, does it need to be hex edited, encrypted, does it need to be specific version of firmware... I just don't get it.
That is why I posted my summary, i thought it is simpler. Adding a disclaimer to the post for now.

Offline marcus h

• Contributor
« Reply #812 on: October 02, 2021, 11:28:47 pm »
The problem is I don't know how to do it. I wanted to add it now but I'm not sure what the "Ultra sigma bloatware" is. If I look at https://www.rigolna.com/download/ I see "Ultra Sigma Instrument Connectivity Driver" listed as software among other files. I can't download it, it just fails. And not sure if that is the only file I need or do I need any other drivers from there.

And I am confused about do we need the magic USB drive, which specific GEL file should be on it, does it need to be hex edited, encrypted, does it need to be specific version of firmware... I just don't get it.
That is why I posted my summary, i thought it is simpler. Adding a disclaimer to the post for now.

Hi! Thank you for you summary. It helped me to make a backup of the settings of my DG811 before I liberated it yesterday.
To return the favor I try to answer your questions in a detailed way:

I can assure you that it isn't so difficult to reinstate the serial number to your device. It only takes a bit of time.
I simply followed the steps in this brilliant posting to the letter(*):
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-16-bit-function-generators-dg800900-series/msg3157600/#msg3157600

(*) With one exception: To do a firmware upgrade I used the "press the Help key as often as possible during while the device is booting"-method.
Then it recognized the firmware on the stick and immediately installed it. No problems whatsoever.

After this procedure I had the DS811 identifying itself as a DS992 with firmware 2.04.
I the simply upgraded the device to firmware 2.06.

About the Ultra Sigma "bloatware":
The Ultra Sigma software clocks in at a massive 500+ megs (and is basically a specialized terminal emulation software) but it did work for me.
I downloaded the software, installed it, started it and got immediately access to the device after I connected it to my PC via USB.
I didn't need to install additional drivers and I wouldn't install any other software for this task.
Then I issued the commands described in the above post. As I wrote: take your time and follow the instructions to the *letter*!

You can get the software from various Rigol sites, for example the International site for the device:
https://www.rigol.eu/products/waveform-generators/dg900.html

"SOFTWARE & FIRMWARE" tab:
Scroll down and download the "Ultra Sigma (PC)Installer 00.01.06.01" - and nothing else (except the 2.04 firmware if you haven't already, or the manuals under MANUAL).

About the "magic" USB stick:
The "magic" USB stick is basically a "key" that allows more access to the device (to allow for certain commands).
If you plug it into the device it recognizes the "magic" USB stick by simply looking at this sector and checks the contents.
So you have to put the "magic" number at a specific place (Sector 2.000.000 decimal as in "2 million"). The post above describes it in detail.
In other words: For the stick to perform as a "key" you DON'T put a GEL file on it. You just edit the sector with the hex editor.

My procedure was:
- I used a 8GB stick to downgrade the firmware to 1.08 -- and to convert it into a DG992.
- Then put it back in my PC and deleted the GEL on the stick to have it "clean".
- Then I used the hex editor software ("HxD") on it as is describes in the link above.
   Download HxD here: https://mh-nexus.de/de/hxd/ -> use version "2.5.0.0 (11. Februar 2021)".
   It is easy to use but if you have never used a hex editor it can be a bit daunting. Just ask if you have a problem.
- Then I put it into the freshly booted DG and after it recognized it I performed the serial number command with Ultra Sigma.
- After that I disconnected the DG, removed the USB stick and rebooted it to see if the serial number is still present (it was).
- I put the USB stick in my PC and formatted it to make sure there are no problems (it is probably not necessary but I didn't want to experiment).
- Then I put the GEL from "Finish_Upgrade_2.04.zip" on it and used it on the DG.
- Then I put the GEL of the firmware update to 2.04 on it and installed it as described above.
- And finally I put the GEL of the firmware update to 2.06 on it to get the most recent firmware on the device.
No firmware update to 2.05 necessary with my DG811.

I think you have your DG already at 2.06.
I don't know if the serial number method described in the posting linked above works with that version but I would try anyway.
The worst that could happen is that you have to downgrade to 1.08 again and repeat the whole procedure but obviously this is your choice only.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:26:34 pm by marcus h »

The following users thanked this post: mandor, nikitasius

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #813 on: October 03, 2021, 03:45:00 pm »
I added another step. I managed to write my serial number to the device.
I found the software only 500 something MB, NOT GB in size.

I DID make the magic empty USB drive and have plugged it into Rigol and then connected the other USB to my laptop.
Then I thought let me try it without the drive.
I removed the cable and USB drive and restarted Rigol.
I then connected USB cable to computer and issued the SCPI command and Rigol updated.
Restarted Rigol several times and updated serial number several times without USB drive plugged in.
I think USB is not necessary but I did plug it in once so I'm not sure it didn't update something.

Thank you for helping and thanks to everyone else. You guys got me a 100MHz waveform generator.

Offline marcus h

• Contributor
« Reply #814 on: October 03, 2021, 11:28:56 pm »
I added another step. I managed to write my serial number to the device.
I found the software only 500 something MB, NOT GB in size.

I mistyped it, sorry. Of course its MB, not GB...  |O  ;D
I corrected my post above, thanks.

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #815 on: October 13, 2021, 12:53:18 pm »
Was already on an DG821->DG922 1.08 mod.

Simply applied the latest FW from Rigol by copying it to a USB drive, and I'm at 2.06 DG922, still have my serial intact.

Too bad the frequency display is hot garbage still :) Takes a bit of getting used to.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #816 on: October 20, 2021, 04:28:07 am »
About the Rigol DG992 - Two Channel, 100 MHz Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator

There is an interesting 1-star review at Amazon:

NOT AS ADVERTISED!

The actual sampling rate for arbitrary waveforms is 60 MHz. If you create a file of signed 16 bit integers and load it into the machine, the fastest that it will clock it out is at 60 Mhz. The picture is a fragment of a 16 MHz wave amplitude modulated at 270 kHz. Looks great sampled at 250 MHz but at 60 MHz there are not quite 4 samples per carrier cycle. I hoped that they would at least do some interpolation at the 250 MHz rate but nope...

Offline marcus h

• Contributor
« Reply #817 on: October 20, 2021, 04:33:24 pm »
About the Rigol DG992 - Two Channel, 100 MHz Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator

NOT AS ADVERTISED!

The actual sampling rate for arbitrary waveforms is 60 MHz. If you create a file of signed 16 bit integers and load it into the machine, the fastest that it will clock it out is at 60 Mhz. The picture is a fragment of a 16 MHz wave amplitude modulated at 270 kHz. Looks great sampled at 250 MHz but at 60 MHz there are not quite 4 samples per carrier cycle. I hoped that they would at least do some interpolation at the 250 MHz rate but nope... (Attachment Link)

Do you have a link?

When I visit amazon.com from here (Germany) I can't even see the DG992 (only the DG822 and 832 from that series).

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #818 on: October 20, 2021, 05:25:53 pm »

NOT AS ADVERTISED!

The actual sampling rate for arbitrary waveforms is 60 MHz. If you create a file of signed 16 bit integers and load it into the machine, the fastest that it will clock it out is at 60 Mhz. The picture is a fragment of a 16 MHz wave amplitude modulated at 270 kHz. Looks great sampled at 250 MHz but at 60 MHz there are not quite 4 samples per carrier cycle. I hoped that they would at least do some interpolation at the 250 MHz rate but nope... (Attachment Link)

Do you have a link?

When I visit amazon.com from here (Germany) I can't even see the DG992 (only the DG822 and 832 from that series).

https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DG992-Function-Arbitrary-Generator/dp/B07HYF5Q86

Yesterday was $999, today is $1,075.85 !!!

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #819 on: October 20, 2021, 05:31:58 pm »
Do you have a link?

But, as you know, you can buy the DG 811 for $279 and "upgrade" it to the DG 992

https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DG811-10-Function-Arbitrary-Generator/dp/B07H3Y132G/

The following users thanked this post: marcus h

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #820 on: October 20, 2021, 08:50:06 pm »
Seems the Rigol DG2102 has the same specs from Rigol DG992, but it's cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DG2102-Function-Arbitrary-Generator/dp/B082287SZ8

I wonder why, is there some tech difference?

Offline marcus h

• Contributor
« Reply #821 on: October 20, 2021, 10:24:52 pm »

But, as you know, you can buy the DG 811 for $279 and "upgrade" it to the DG 992

https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DG811-10-Function-Arbitrary-Generator/dp/B07H3Y132G/

I know and I did.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline blubillcanada

• Contributor
« Reply #822 on: November 01, 2021, 02:08:00 pm »

Extract SardineUpdate.GEL from https://mega.nz/file/bxtkUJyA#hg0H1bxcOMeBNW6zbOwJvxEYqWtyL_UXmftwTMTBuWg on the root of USB drive.
Turn off Rigol device
Plug in USB drive
Turn on Rigol device and repeatedly press help button until you notice it detected firmware

I've tried this step several times on a DG812 running 2.06.00.01 and although it appears to be updating (the spinny asterisk) but it never downgrades to 1.08
Do I have to modify this file as it's not a DG811?

Offline Swat

• Contributor
« Reply #823 on: November 01, 2021, 04:00:12 pm »

Turn off Rigol device
Plug in USB drive

I've tried this step several times on a DG812 running 2.06.00.01 and although it appears to be updating (the spinny asterisk) but it never downgrades to 1.08
Do I have to modify this file as it's not a DG811?

Hi, to downgrade to 01.08 I used the following modified file from "tv84": https://drive.google.com/file/d/16nC-uJ12MXilJElv4Eukvt1IW4RzGdb7/view?usp=sharing
and everything worked out :)

Offline blubillcanada

• Contributor
« Reply #824 on: November 01, 2021, 05:17:49 pm »
Hmm, I can't download from that Google drive. It's saying too many redirects.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf