Author Topic: New Rigol DC Load DL3000 Series  (Read 77666 times)

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC Load DL3000 Series
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »
Apparently, they have an I/O port on the back which is used for enabling/disabling the input... But the manual don't mention any synchronization feature....

Offline SimonDTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
Yeah ... i have seen that ... but i was hoping to be a hidden function    :P

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
load can only be connected together in parallel and in constant current mode. Not in the other modes (CV, CR, CP) and not in serial.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:59:26 pm by simone.pignatti »
Technical Support

The following users thanked this post: SimonD, gnavigator1007

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2017, 06:22:36 am »
Thanks to Simone(?) for answering my question on Youtube about the watt-hour display (which I totally think they should include in the battery test display). I also edited my second question and wasn't sure if you noticed that. I went through the manual, but can't confirm whether it's possible to log csv data on a USB flash drive.
Hello Maukka, is the Watt/Hours a requirement for Battery Test Mode only or also when using Constant Power Mode?
Thanks
Technical Support

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:07 pm »
Hello Maukka, is the Watt/Hours a requirement for Battery Test Mode only or also when using Constant Power Mode?
Thanks

I would have hoped I'm not restricted to only a constant current mode on the battery test, but that seems to be the case after checking the manual. The constant power mode should be extended to the battery test mode too. In that case I only need the Wh meter on the battery test, but why not make it available on the normal tests too?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2017, 06:04:01 am »
load can only be connected together in parallel and in constant current mode. Not in the other modes (CV, CR, CP) and not in serial.

Better than nothing!
Have you test this possibility? How can be done this ? Is there any synchronizing topology between the devices?
From this depends if we can have a hope for the rest of functions in a future firmware update.  Can you give us an example or more information's about it?
Thank you.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:04 am »
Better than nothing!
Have you test this possibility? How can be done this ? Is there any synchronizing topology between the devices?
From this depends if we can have a hope for the rest of functions in a future firmware update.  Can you give us an example or more information's about it?
Thank you.

Friendly advice: never buy anything on the premise of a feature (either promised let alone just hoped-for) being possibly added in some future firmware update sometime. Make your buying decisions based on what the thing already is and treat the possibility of something being added with some future firmware release merely as a bonus.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:26 am »
Better than nothing!
Thank you.

Friendly advice: never buy anything on the premise of a feature (either promised let alone just hoped-for) being possibly added in some future firmware update sometime. Make your buying decisions based on what the thing already is and treat the possibility of something being added with some future firmware release merely as a bonus.

You have right, most times firmware updates just fix some malfunctions. But they are some cases that add's  new futures where this is possible.
This future is not so critical for my applications. I can live without it! But it could be nice (if that works for CC until now) for someone to know if this function can work better with a simple  firmware update.
This movement adds value in the device. Buing another same type gear in the future you can almost double your investement for this instruments field.

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2017, 04:48:43 pm »
Earlier this week I got myself the small model (DL3021), and had a quick play with it today. Just to get a feel for the instrument.
First impression was: Damn... That thing is big and heavy. At work we have some of the Maynuo 300W loads, and they are small and light as a feather in comparison.
After playing with the various modes, I got the impression it does pretty much what it says it does. There are some weird quirks here and there though:

First the graphical view of current, voltage or power. It draws the newest value to the left, and then scroll the graph to the right. Like a scope running in reverse. :wtf: That one is going to drive me bonkers.

I had a couple of weird incidents where the load did not do what I asked it to do. One time in constant power, where I had it happily pulling 100W from a power supply, and while adjusting the voltage and current limits of the PSU (not touching the load), it suddenly went to 1W power draw. I could change the power setting on the screen, it still drew only 1W. I turned the input off (it did so), and back on... Still 1W. Only when going to another mode like CC, and then bak to CP, it came back to life and pulled the power I set it to.
Another similar bug was in battery test mode, where the current was 0.1A no matter what I set it to. Go to CC mode and back and the problem was solved.

And lastly: Why the heck is there a short circuit button near the input on/off button? It may be a convenient function when testing power supplies, but one accidental push of that button while I have a Lithium polymer battery pack connected?!?  :scared:
At the very least it should be possible to disable that button in the settings. Hopefully they will add that in a firmware update.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2017, 10:33:52 pm »
Hello

Thank you for sharing your experience.  We are also distributors for Maynuo so do know what you mean about the units being light.  Have you been happy with the Maynou Electronic loads you've bought?
  Have you fed your comments about the Electronic Load back to Rigol yet? If not would you mind if I do?  If you have any other suggestions please let me know.  They like to hear from customers and typically will act on suggestions especially when it's a new product that's just been released.

Have a great day everyone!

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers
info@instruments4engineers.com

www.instruments4engineers.com

Authorized Distributors for Rigol, Maynuo and more
Currently in talks with Siglent about being distributors

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2017, 06:58:20 am »
I don't have a Maynuo myself, but the power supply designers at my workplace have several. They are quite pleased with them.

I have not contacted Rigol yet. I wanted to do some controlled tests to see if I could recreate the errors in a consistent way. It is always better if you can demonstrate the error, instead of just saying that I saw it do something weird but not knowing what triggered it. Yes, I am a software developer myself, and I know how frustrating it is to get a bug report without solid evidence to go by.

If you want to, you shall be very welcome to contact them.
I would really like a way to disable the short circuit button. I feel it is an accident waiting to happen.
It would be nice to get the graph view to go the normal way.
And as someone else mentioned earlier, it would be very useful to have the choice between constant current and constant power in the battery test.

I will try to recreate the non-responsive power and/or current draws.

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »
Thank you .. I've sent your comments to Rigol.  If you find anything else while you do more testing please let me know.   I appreciate your feedback.

Hope you have a lovely day!

Sincerely

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:56 pm »
I will try to recreate the non-responsive power and/or current draws.
I have tried all sorts of things, but now the load just works every time. Which is a good thing I guess  ;D

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:01 am »
 :D    I spoke to Rigol and they were really grateful for your feedback.

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers
info@instruments4engineers.com

Authorized Distributors for Rigol and more
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:06:43 pm by I4E »

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
Our custom cables have arrived! we are ready to test DL3000 against DP800
Post here your testing requirements!
Technical Support

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2017, 11:39:51 pm »
My gosh, that faceplate is a graphic design crimescene.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »
My gosh, that faceplate is a graphic design crimescene.
+1
I agree. Sometimes Rigols design is OK (e.g. DS2000 series), sometimes it is just awful (like the power supply or this new load). Design consistency seems to be an alien concept for them. I wonder if these left skewed buttons on the top are on purpose or just a mistake happened during converting graphics files  :-DD

Edit: I just checked out the buttons: the buttons come in 9 different shapes .... OMG.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:33:58 pm by Pinkus »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2017, 06:33:51 pm »
How loud is it under load ? Say, I want to know ho much charge in a lead acid battery is left and I'm discharging it with 10A or similar.
I'm planning to buy the DL3021 for my home lab.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
I am happy that my non-A version is more discrete with its white/grey front.
About the fan noise, it is not bad. My Agilent U8002A power supply is louder. I haven't tried running the load at max power for extended periods of time, so it may be able to get louder.

Offline giovannirat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
RIGOL loads now available at Batronix....
http://www.batronix.com/shop/load/loads.html

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2017, 01:21:24 pm »
I'm going to get mine from them, after I got my money from work this summer
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2017, 04:00:11 pm »
Can any owner make a simple test and post a photo?
Preferred model 3021.
Input : 24V-25A Load (or more Amps) in C.C. mode.
What is the result of voltage returned ? (Drop voltage).
What is the result in about 1KHz ... 3KHz, 50% PWM Source? Noise, spikes etc ? (If this test is possible!)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 04:49:03 pm »
Meh, Batronix has now a 19-40 day waiting time for the base model to arrive, because it's sold out atm

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2017, 03:09:47 pm »
Meh, Batronix has now a 19-40 day waiting time for the base model to arrive, because it's sold out atm

The Rigol DL3031A is in stock  ;D
atm...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:11:48 pm by hwj-d »

Offline lukaq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »
Dave,
is there any plan of getting one?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf