Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042382 times)

Offline kenw232

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1450 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:41 pm »
I just got one of these.  I did the auto-calibrate.  When my probe is not hooked up to anything it still reads 160mV.  Should I do a manual calibration or is this normal for all scopes?? 

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: June 05, 2015, 10:07:32 pm »
I just got one of these.  I did the auto-calibrate.  When my probe is not hooked up to anything it still reads 160mV.  Should I do a manual calibration or is this normal for all scopes??

That's pretty normal for this scope, and users have found that the slight residual offset can vary, depending on how many channels you have turned on. Did you let the scope warm up for at least half an hour before running the calibration? Also, you may need to recalibrate if the ambient temperature changes much (according to the user's manual.)  You might try clipping the probe's ground lead to the probe tip and re-doing the measurement, you might be picking up noise that is causing the measurement reading.

How would you do a "manual calibration?"

Also, what's your firmware version number? Have you checked to see if you have the "freeze" or lockup bug yet?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:09:06 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline kenw232

• Contributor
« Reply #1452 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:01 am »
Thanks.  I thing I have the freeze bug.  I was using it and it become unresponsive.  I dismissed it but I guess its an issue.  I'm running the latest 4.03 firmware.

Offline kenw232

• Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: June 06, 2015, 03:42:13 am »
I'm new.  What does anti-aliasing do under the Acquire menu?    Why can't I turn off SIN(x)x, it's ON and greyed out.  My coupling is set to DC if it matters.

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1454 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:55 am »
I have just RMA'ed my DS1054Z at Batronix  :(
I have had it just a week.

It locks up after a few hours turn on time , and all buttons are dead.
Sometimes it locks up showing the captured waveform , and sometimes it crashes and shows garbage on the screen, like the attached picture.

Will let you know how it goes   :'( :'( :'(

/Bingo

Followup here  :-\
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/batronix-a-mixed-ds1054z-rma-experience/

/Bingo

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1455 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:56 am »
I'm new.  What does anti-aliasing do under the Acquire menu?
There is a separate thread concerning anti-aliasing filters in oscilloscopes here.

There is also some discussion of anti-aliasing on the DS1054Z in this thread starting here.

Why can't I turn off SIN(x)x, it's ON and greyed out.  My coupling is set to DC if it matters.
This is also discussed in this thread, beginning around here.

Offline ekeppel

• Contributor
« Reply #1456 on: June 09, 2015, 12:51:19 am »
Looks like I posted in the wrong thread...Just found the discount code thread and will post there.  Thanks :-)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:46:14 am by ekeppel »

Offline mjlinden

« Reply #1457 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:04 am »
  Just placed my order for one of these today. However, I was wondering about the affects of the 100 MHz upgrade on the warranty when I ran across this bit of information:

http://ds1054z.com/

All of the above modules and more can be activated for "free". If you search for "Riglol" on the internet, you will find a method to enable the modules for free. Besides the modules, you can also increase the bandwidth of the Rigol DS1054Z to 100Mhz. And you can increase the vertical sensitivity to 500 µV/div!

However, using this method will void your warranty. Also, the method is irreversible, so if your scope breaks down, you can not revert to its original state to claim warranty. Therfore the "Riglol" method should not be used!

While this Web page looked like a "genuine" Rigol Web page, its domain is actually registered to ELESHOP.NL, so not much use, I guess...   ;^)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: June 09, 2015, 02:41:35 am »
All of the above modules and more can be activated for "free". If you search for "Riglol" on the internet, you will find a method to enable the modules for free. Besides the modules, you can also increase the bandwidth of the Rigol DS1054Z to 100Mhz. And you can increase the vertical sensitivity to 500 µV/div!

The hardware does NOT support the 500 uV/div upgrade.  DO NOT INSTALL 500 uV/div.
Use code DSER for all upgrades except 500 uV/div

Offline TomThomas

• Contributor
« Reply #1459 on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:03 am »
  Just placed my order for one of these today. However, I was wondering about the affects of the 100 MHz upgrade on the warranty when I ran across this bit of information:

However, using this method will void your warranty. Also, the method is irreversible, so if your scope breaks down, you can not revert to its original state to claim warranty. Therfore the "Riglol" method should not be used!

While this Web page looked like a "genuine" Rigol Web page, its domain is actually registered to ELESHOP.NL, so not much use, I guess...   ;^)

Be careful... as far as I know Eleshop is no official Rigol Reseller. At least I could not find him on the Distributor List on Rigol.eu.
Better choose an official one who offers the same Price and can guarantee first Level Support.

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1460 on: June 09, 2015, 09:13:24 am »
Be careful... as far as I know Eleshop is no official Rigol Reseller. At least I could not find him on the Distributor List on Rigol.eu.
Better choose an official one who offers the same Price and can guarantee first Level Support.
Yes, and although I do not know of any negative experiences with eleshop.nl, I would strongly advise to buy your Rigol stuff at arbenelux.nl (If you live in the Netherlands). They are an official Rigol reseller and their service is absolutely excellent.
And I know from experience with a partially broken DS2072 two months after purchase. Replaced within one day with a brand new one, and a ‘restarted’ 3 year warranty!!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1461 on: June 09, 2015, 11:27:38 am »
  ... I ran across this bit of information:

Two statements, two pieces of mis-information on that web page. The 500µV/div option is not compatible with the DS1000Z scopes, as already mentioned by others. And the activated options are reversible, via an SCPI command, as discussed multiple times in this thread.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1462 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:10 pm »
  ... I ran across this bit of information:

Two statements, two pieces of mis-information on that web page. The 500µV/div option is not compatible with the DS1000Z scopes, as already mentioned by others. And the activated options are reversible, via an SCPI command, as discussed multiple times in this thread.

Three pieces of mis-information  :)   In most places, hacking options will not void your warranty.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1463 on: June 09, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »
I don't see any mention of the 500 µV/div nor of hacking the scope on that link, did they changed it since this was posted?

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1464 on: June 09, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »
Yep, they 'corrected' it  ;)
You can still find original page in google cache:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fds1054z.com%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Attached is a screenshoot of the changed section for posterity :-)

Offline mjlinden

« Reply #1465 on: June 09, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »
  One could interpret this change in the Web page as concern that fewer people will buy the scope if they think that "upgrading" it to 100 MHz will void the warranty...   :P

Offline MAS3

• Contributor
« Reply #1466 on: June 09, 2015, 10:47:46 pm »
That shop is where i got mine.
The price was better than that of the before mentioned official distributor, and they do sell a lot of these.
The shipping and tracking of it is a bit of a mess (you can start tracking long after delivery).
But that's caused because they ship using their neighbour, a large ("worldwide") shipping company that only has 3 small distribution centres in the Netherlands so they have to use another much larger and therefore better organised shipping company to handle the package.
That's the worst i can say about the experience of ordering and receiving the 'scope.

However, a site that is owned by such shops do cause my rise eyebrows to rise and would be an extra threshold before ordering, if i would see that site before ordering that is.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #1467 on: June 10, 2015, 05:35:56 am »
Since the scope has ethernet, they can with a newer firmware upgrade get a phone-home system installed to void your illegally installed modules.
And since there are plenty bugs, there will be plenty new firmware versions.

Offline LogAmp90

New 04.03 firmware - actually any faster?
« Reply #1468 on: June 10, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
I just got my DS1054Z so I'm running through all my initial shake-down tests.  Works great so far.  I use a MUCH more expensive Agilent MSX-X-3014A at work.  It's amusing just how close the Rigol is in operation.  It's obvious that the firmware is rather "related" even in this higher-end Agilent.   :)  I actually like the Rigol interface better because of the plethora of soft keys where the Agilent has only 6.  Yeah, the Agilent operates a bit faster/smoother but for the price difference I'll take the Rigol.

It is running 04.02.SP4 which I believe still has the jitter/PLL issue.  I will be upgrading to 04.03 tonight.

I was looking at the Rigol firmware release notes and noticed that it says "and optimized processing speed".  Of course, as with the rest of the document, the English is rough.  Maybe this doesn't mean what I think it should.

Has anybody noticed their 1054Z being more responsive in any way after this update?

Thanks,

Scott

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1469 on: June 10, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »
I may be wrong, but I don't think that 04.02 SP4 still has the jitter issue.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: June 10, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »
Since the scope has ethernet, they can with a newer firmware upgrade get a phone-home system installed to void your illegally installed modules.

That is if you assume that Rigol has kept a central registry of all upgrade keys they have officially generated and sold since the release of the DS1000Z series. The scope or the keys themselves look the same, whether keys were generated by Rigol (or a distributor) or "Riglol".

Offline LogAmp90

« Reply #1471 on: June 10, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »
I may be wrong, but I don't think that 04.02 SP4 still has the jitter issue.

McBryce.

Well in the firmware doc, the 00.04.02.04.07, which I believe shows as 04.02.SP4 on the scope,
is dated December 31, 2014.  I don't think the jitter fix was available then was it?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1472 on: June 10, 2015, 03:00:43 pm »
Well in the firmware doc, the 00.04.02.04.07, which I believe shows as 04.02.SP4 on the scope,
is dated December 31, 2014.  I don't think the jitter fix was available then was it?

That is the release with the jitter fix.  No one knows what they changed in 04.03 (apparently nothing big).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:51:15 pm by edavid »

Offline LogAmp90

« Reply #1473 on: June 10, 2015, 03:21:36 pm »

That is the release with the jitter fix.  No one knows what they changed in 04.03 (apparently nothing big).

Actually there is quite a list of bug fixes for 04.03.  Do you have the firmware history doc from Rigol?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1474 on: June 10, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »

Actually there is quite a list of bug fixes for 04.03.  Do you have the firmware history doc from Rigol?

Oops, obviously not.  Where is it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf