Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2043094 times)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1725 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:42 am »
I don't remember seeing such a screenshot, but if you ask the scope to save "Param" to a .txt file on the USB stick, then look at the text file

Thanks, I found out about the param method last week.  It has been awhile since the screenshot was posted here, but it _is_ possible if only someone can figure out the key sequence...

Offline delmadord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1726 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:16 pm »
Hello, I just got one today and I am confused about the voiding the warranty with DSER unlock option. Let's say, this link say's it does not even void the warranty. I could think it has already been discussed before., but please sorry for not reading the 116 pages worth of discussion. Please, does SW unlocking (but not touching the warranty seal) voids the warranty or not? Thank you.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1727 on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:38 pm »
I don't think uyou lost your warranty, because you don't change anything at the scope himself or in the software. All you do is activate a few options, thats forbidden of course, but why you should lost your warranty than? You everytime can change it back to the original setup without any options.
But, u have 30 Days all options for free, so why u want hack them now,directly after you got your scope? Wait this 30 days...   Its a long time running the scope 30 Days...  And if its running 30 Days u can be shure the scope is working for the next 3 years. THAN you always can "hack" it, if u need it.
Think about, what happens if u hack them now and u maybe have an issue with your power supply and u have to send it back. Your scope is ded then and u can't remove the hacked options !
They open the scope and see u have hack all the options without pay for it. Whats then ??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:02:32 pm by Fennec »

Offline delmadord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1728 on: October 15, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »
I don't think uyou lost your warranty, because you don't change anything at the scope himself or in the software. All you do is activate a few options, thats forbidden of course, but why you should lost your warranty than? You everytime can change it back to the original setup without any options.
But, u have 30 Days all options for free, so why u want hack them now,directly after you got your scope? Wait this 30 days...   Its a long time running the scope 30 Days...  THAN you always can "hack" it.

I probably made a mistake, I did not activate them yet. Also, my scope came with 36 hours not 30 days with full trial. Still about 28 hours left. But this is strange. 36 hours (half a day) seemed nice round number. Do you think someone had turned the scope on before?

Also I have read some more, to find out what you said: 1) in most cases it does not void warranty - it may depend on the country 2) it can be reversed by by SCPI command (whatever it is). Is there any confirmed case where the user unlocked the settings, reversed it back and it voided the warranty? I could not find it (mainly because the relevance of the 'warranty void if not removed' T-shirt is higher :) )

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1729 on: October 15, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »
There is usually around 36 hours or so of use with the options enabled as trials. This is 36 hours of scope on time, not elapsed calendar time.

Yes, you can uninstall the options, using the LAN or USB connection and the Rigol software that allows,you to send SCPI commands. That same software also allows you to install the keys, rather than trying to do it from the front panel with the fiddly multifunction knob. The commands are through a command line interface within the Rigol software's GUI.

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1730 on: October 15, 2015, 09:10:46 pm »
Maybe my fault. may I have mixed up 30 days with 30hours. I broke my warranty singn because I want take a look inside. So MY warrynty is void anyway.
I think it is better u play arround with your 30h and than u "hack" it if u need it.
T-shirt "don't turn it on, take it appart" hehe
I am not sure, but I think if you downgrade your firmware after remove the hack, Rigol is not interested in this hack. I think this hack is a marketing option from Rigol himself. Or do you think they send it back to China and repair this $US350 "thing"? I don't think so..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:15:53 pm by Fennec »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1731 on: October 16, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »
Is there a link anywhere to the preferred method of upgrading the firmware on a DS1000Z ?  Is there a bootup and press the help button repeatedly type way to do this like on the DS2000 series?

Offline Fohdeesha

• Contributor
« Reply #1732 on: October 16, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »
Is there a link anywhere to the preferred method of upgrading the firmware on a DS1000Z ?  Is there a bootup and press the help button repeatedly type way to do this like on the DS2000 series?

put the firmware .gel file on a thumb drive, plug it into the scope whenever. without needing to do anything it'll detect the file and ask you if you want to update

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1733 on: October 16, 2015, 02:17:35 pm »
That is the discouraged method on the DS2K/DS4K because the bootloader method is better.  Do you know if the DS1KZ have a bootloader method (maybe it doesn't)?  Thanks

Offline Fohdeesha

• Contributor
« Reply #1734 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »
Not that I've ever seen, everyone I've seen (dave included) just loads it up during operation. Haven't heard of anyone having an issue with doing so

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1735 on: October 16, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »
I've done it as described above. Just copy the file onto a USB stick and plug it in (no need to switch scope off, just plug it in).

A popup window will appear saying 'firmware update detected, install Y/N'.

Select 'yes', wait. Switch 'scope off+on, done.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1736 on: October 17, 2015, 12:30:34 am »

Attached are the official instructions provide me from Rigol.

Offline Shamron

« Reply #1737 on: October 17, 2015, 06:05:11 am »
Hi there guys. Sorry for asking a question in my first post instead of introducing myself. I will do that in my post #2.

I live in Norway and I really want this scope. First of all, the scope is not available here, and on eBay it costs like 530$ plus an additional 170$ import tax, and finally around 50$ in shipping. Does anyone of you know of a Scandinavian distributor or reseller? Or where I can get this scope at anywhere near the bargain price which makes it so attractive?

Paying 750$ for it kinda makes it not so attractive and feels like a rip-off.

As an alternative, what do you think about the UTD 2052 CEX? I know from watching eevblog on YouTube that UNI-T multimeters aren't all that, so I'm kinda scared to even consider it...

PS: I'm turning 40 and elfa.se have a package deal on Fluke 87 + Fluke 62 I thermometer for 310$ which is a bargain and the price just yesterday was 620$. My total budget (or my gf's budget for gift to me) for multimeter and scope is 833$.

Anyone?

(ok, will post a "hi, this is me" introduction-post now. 😊).

Ben.-

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1738 on: October 17, 2015, 07:09:12 am »
I live in Norway and I really want this scope. First of all, the scope is not available here, and on eBay it costs like 530$ plus an additional 170$ import tax, and finally around 50$ in shipping. Does anyone of you know of a Scandinavian distributor or reseller? Or where I can get this scope at anywhere near the bargain price which makes it so attractive?

RIGOL DS1054Z Promo Sale, Free shipment to Europe and discount:

http://www.batterfly.com/shop/rigol-ds1054z

Offline ankerwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1739 on: October 17, 2015, 07:41:15 am »
Hello,
... Does anyone of you know of a Scandinavian distributor or reseller? Or where I can get this scope at anywhere near the bargain price which makes it so attractive?

http://www.batronix.com/versand/rigol/DS1000Z.html

LG Wolfgang

Offline Shamron

« Reply #1740 on: October 17, 2015, 07:45:00 am »

RIGOL DS1054Z Promo Sale, Free shipment to Europe and discount:

http://www.batterfly.com/shop/rigol-ds1054z

This looks nice, however it looks like it's from Italy, which means a 100% guarantee I'll have to pay import tax on it, netting it at least another 166$. Also, US normally charges extra for what they call simplified tax-treatment, which adds to the total. Any way to get them to write a lower value/price or mark it as a gift? Sorry if this is rude/not exactly the most correct way to do it, but our economy demands it. 😊

Offline Shamron

« Reply #1741 on: October 17, 2015, 07:59:37 am »
Hello,
... Does anyone of you know of a Scandinavian distributor or reseller? Or where I can get this scope at anywhere near the bargain price which makes it so attractive?

http://www.batronix.com/versand/rigol/DS1000Z.html

LG Wolfgang

Thank you very much. I BET there will be added VAT on this, but let's postpone that pain until after my birthday. 😊

Ordered. 😊

Offline Fennec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1742 on: October 17, 2015, 08:25:31 pm »
Nope, VAT is included, so u got this scope for the 403 Euro n free shipping. Because it's inside EU or did u live in Norway ?.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:28:01 pm by Fennec »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1743 on: October 18, 2015, 11:03:52 pm »
…and elfa.se have a package deal on Fluke 87 + Fluke 62 I thermometer for 310$ which is a bargain
:o omg that's an amazing price, anyone in Sweden willing to forward it to me in Switzerland? (Of course the Swiss office of elfa/Distrelec has that bundle for $600+…) Needless to say the elfa.se website will not send to any other country….

Offline vk2amv

• Supporter
« Reply #1744 on: October 19, 2015, 03:04:54 am »
Dammit, after reading this thread and watching Dave's videos on the DS1054Z my finger slipped and I "accidently" ordered one. (That's my excuse to my wife and I am sticking with it  :-DD)

I ordered mine from eyou.com.au in Australia (Not Austria) so it should reach me overnight pretty much.

Came to $625 for the scope, plus also ordered a couple of the Rigol RT50J 50 Ohm pass through terminators while I was at it.

Will be interesting to see in person side by side the 5 or so years difference between this one and my old Rigol DS1052E.

I bought that one back when the EEVblog was in the single digits and Dave did the original review on it.

So this is now the second oscilloscope that I have purchased simply because I saw it on the EEVblog..... Oh well there are worse things I suppose  :-DD
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1745 on: October 19, 2015, 03:14:47 am »
Dammit, after reading this thread and watching Dave's videos on the DS1054Z my finger slipped and I "accidently" ordered one. (That's my excuse to my wife and I am sticking with it  :-DD)
So this is now the second oscilloscope that I have purchased simply because I saw it on the EEVblog..... Oh well there are worse things I suppose  :-DD

Yeah, seems like you're not too "accident" prone, yet. Carry on. And enjoy the scope!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #1746 on: October 19, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »
Just took delivery of mine. Fresh FW upgrade and ready to rock. This thing is packed with features.. what a difference with my old analog beast  :o
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1747 on: October 20, 2015, 03:09:10 am »
It would be interesting (at least to me) to know if these newly-received DS1054Z scopes can reproduce some of the various bugs that we've noticed.

The Freeze Bug:

and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1054z-freeze-up-bug/  (please "vote" in the poll as to whether or not you can reproduce this one)

The Math horizontal error bug (see first screenshot below)

The Trigger horizontal error bug (see the second and third screenshots below)

The zoom Trigger bug (see the fourth screenshot below)

Note that the timebase settings need to be set as in the scopeshots for these Trigger and Math bugs to occur.
The "freeze bug" settings are shown in the video and talked about in the thread; in particular they need Mem Depth "Auto" and Persistence set to 100 ms or higher.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:11:51 am by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ankerwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1748 on: October 20, 2015, 06:03:13 am »
It would be interesting (at least to me) to know if these newly-received DS1054Z scopes can reproduce some of the various bugs that we've noticed.
This is not the newest FW !
Please update to SP1 and repeat the check.
LG Wolfgang

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #1749 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:54 am »

The Freeze Bug:(please "vote" in the poll as to whether or not you can reproduce this one)

The Math horizontal error bug (see first screenshot below)

The Trigger horizontal error bug (see the second and third screenshots below)

The zoom Trigger bug (see the fourth screenshot below)

Note that the timebase settings need to be set as in the scopeshots for these Trigger and Math bugs to occur.
The "freeze bug" settings are shown in the video and talked about in the thread; in particular they need Mem Depth "Auto" and Persistence set to 100 ms or higher.

-I don't have the freeze bug - tested this multiple times and voted.
-I dont't have the horizontal math error - nothing is shifted
-No jitterbug (pun intended  :-DD)
-No triggerbug; zoom is just fine.

Running the latest firmware (00.04.03.SP1) with HW revision 0.1.1
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf