Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2058104 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2800 on: August 13, 2016, 11:35:46 am »
That's true. But you also must know that a ground plane on a PCB isn't the same as an earth connection.
That occours on a ground plane due to copper resistence and due to high frequencies (you don't give time to the copper potential balances).

The analogy is still valid; the speed of light and distance are the relevant parameters. As I explicitly stated, with electrical distribution networks the relevant frequencies are lower. Obviously you realise that lower frequencies imply longer time periods.

In a thunderstorm you don't have that high currents for too long, I think...

True, but that doesn't affect the point under discussion.

But I think that a lightning strike only affects a small portion of the earth, and not the entire earth potential...

And how, exactly, are you going to measure "the entire earth potential"? Your answer should take account of the speed of light.

You really, really should have a look at the precautions taken in industrial systems to take account of differing "earth" potentials.

You don't need to measure the entire earth potential. You just need to try to "send" the lightning strike to another earth connection than the one used by you, no?

I don't know almost anything of the industrial protection systems and how they deppend on earth connections, what I know is that the earth plane created in each build (house, factory, High voltage line supports, whatever) has a lot of testing in order to reach a regulated resistance value (in the order of mOhm). With this I just want to make clear that an earth point is virtually isolated from another point few meter away. If you just put a wire on the ground you won't have (it just won't work, believe me) an earth point.

And there we have the source of your statements, and your ignoring several examples (e.g. monopole antennas).

You partially understand how domestic 50Hz electrical systems work in a house.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to non-domestic systems.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to >>50Hz systems.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to physically large systems.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2801 on: August 13, 2016, 11:49:06 am »
That's true. But you also must know that a ground plane on a PCB isn't the same as an earth connection.
That occours on a ground plane due to copper resistence and due to high frequencies (you don't give time to the copper potential balances).

The analogy is still valid; the speed of light and distance are the relevant parameters. As I explicitly stated, with electrical distribution networks the relevant frequencies are lower. Obviously you realise that lower frequencies imply longer time periods.

In a thunderstorm you don't have that high currents for too long, I think...

True, but that doesn't affect the point under discussion.

But I think that a lightning strike only affects a small portion of the earth, and not the entire earth potential...

And how, exactly, are you going to measure "the entire earth potential"? Your answer should take account of the speed of light.

You really, really should have a look at the precautions taken in industrial systems to take account of differing "earth" potentials.

You don't need to measure the entire earth potential. You just need to try to "send" the lightning strike to another earth connection than the one used by you, no?

I don't know almost anything of the industrial protection systems and how they deppend on earth connections, what I know is that the earth plane created in each build (house, factory, High voltage line supports, whatever) has a lot of testing in order to reach a regulated resistance value (in the order of mOhm). With this I just want to make clear that an earth point is virtually isolated from another point few meter away. If you just put a wire on the ground you won't have (it just won't work, believe me) an earth point.

And there we have the source of your statements, and your ignoring several examples (e.g. monopole antennas).

You partially understand how domestic 50Hz electrical systems work in a house.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to non-domestic systems.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to >>50Hz systems.
You are (incorrectly) generalising that to physically large systems.

I'm talking about electrical power lines. They don't serve only houses, their earth plane is independent of the use that power will have.
I didn't spoke about >>50Hz systems. I did generalize my statements but I know that specific niches have their specific regulations.

But what does that have to do with 'scopes ground? Why this discussion started? Also, I don't understand why you're so agressive and why are you just "spiting" statements and don't be more specific...

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2802 on: August 13, 2016, 02:36:55 pm »
Hello. Is it possible to connect ds1054z with lan cable to pc and see fft from matlab?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2803 on: August 13, 2016, 03:07:24 pm »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:10:18 pm by Fungus »

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2804 on: August 13, 2016, 03:14:22 pm »
Hello. Is it possible to connect ds1054z with lan cable to pc and see fft from matlab?

https://www.mathworks.com/products/instrument/supported/rigol-technologies.html

Thanks for the reply but I saw this before. There is no driver for ds1054z in any of two categories.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2805 on: August 13, 2016, 03:52:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply but I saw this before. There is no driver for ds1054z in any of two categories.

I think that page is just old. The command interface on the DS1054Z is the same as all the other Rigol models in the list.

FWIW: The official DS1054Z programming manual has a whole chapter on how to use a one with MATLAB. Section 3-7 even gives example code to grab some data from a DS1054Z and generate an FFT.

http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/ProgrammingGuide/MSO1000Z_DS1000Z_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

(Disclaimer: I haven't personally done it...)

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2806 on: August 13, 2016, 03:55:24 pm »
I think that page is just old. The command interface on the DS1054Z is the same as all the other Rigol models in the list.

FWIW: The official DS1054Z programming manual has a whole chapter on how to use a one with MATLAB. Section 3-7 even gives example code to grab some data from a DS1054Z and generate an FFT.

http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/ProgrammingGuide/MSO1000Z_DS1000Z_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

(Disclaimer: I haven't personally done it...)

Wow! Thank you. This is exactly what I search!

Offline Hagrid

• Contributor
« Reply #2807 on: August 18, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
Hello, i have now upgradet to the latest firmware too (i know i am late, i was quite busy). I think i found a minor bug. When i am in fft mode and have the cursors active in the fft window, the cursor jump to the timebase window as soon as i press "measure" -> "clear" -> delete or recover any item. The curser source still says "Math", which is incorrect. You have to rechoose "Math" to get it back in the right window.
Another thing which is not really a bug but funny somehow: You can shift the cursor to negative frequencies. It made me giggle a bit, is this typical on oscilloscope with fft/spectrum analyzers?

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2808 on: August 20, 2016, 10:37:04 am »
Hello. The normal is 1 or 2 boxes for a brand new ds1054z?

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2809 on: August 20, 2016, 10:44:41 am »

I think that Rigol initially sent it in 2 boxes to help you sending it back if something occours, but now I don't know if they still send it that way.
I got mine about 6 months ago from Telonic and it came in just one box.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2810 on: August 20, 2016, 10:46:22 am »

I bought my DS1054Z on taobao one month ago, the normal packing is 2 boxes.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2811 on: August 20, 2016, 11:25:13 am »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2812 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
Normal delivery from the factory is double boxed in either 1, 2 or 4 units/box.
Receive a 2 or 4 scope order in a large box, then break it down then each unit will be in single boxes.

Either is acceptable packaging.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ebastler

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2813 on: August 21, 2016, 02:00:50 am »
I ordered mine a few weeks ago from Amazon and it arrived in an Amazon outer box followed by two more Rigol boxes inside that -- so three altogether...

Brian

Offline NexusKoolaid

• Contributor
« Reply #2814 on: August 21, 2016, 06:34:50 am »
I ordered mine from TEquipment on Amazon (not Prime or FBA), and it came in one box.   ???

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2815 on: August 21, 2016, 06:46:46 am »
Mine arrived also double boxed.
At work, almost every instrument we bought arrived double boxed as well.

Offline thomastheo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2816 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:47 am »
I bought mine from Batronix in Germany. It was shipped in a single box.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2817 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:32 am »
One thing I don't think I saw mentioned: how is the UI responsiveness with 04.04.00.07 compared with 04.03.01.05 (04.03.SP1)?  I've intentionally kept my scope on 04.03.01.05 in order to avoid the issues with SP2 (especially the UI issues), but if the UI responsiveness is the same for both 04.04 and 04.03.SP1 then it sounds like there's little reason to remain on 04.03.SP1.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2818 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:20 am »
FWIW, mine came in a double box directly from TEquipment.

Offline gardner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2819 on: August 22, 2016, 03:20:47 pm »
Electro-Meters (Rigol Canada)
http://www.rigolcanada.com/

One box.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:00:44 pm by gardner »
--- Gardner

Offline szpila

« Reply #2820 on: August 22, 2016, 03:36:33 pm »
One thing I don't think I saw mentioned: how is the UI responsiveness with 04.04.00.07 compared with 04.03.01.05 (04.03.SP1)?  I've intentionally kept my scope on 04.03.01.05 in order to avoid the issues with SP2 (especially the UI issues), but if the UI responsiveness is the same for both 04.04 and 04.03.SP1 then it sounds like there's little reason to remain on 04.03.SP1.
Be carefull. My ds1054z fw is 04.03.SP1 and i don't have rms bug, like people with last two versions of firmware. So, for full screen X-Y mode, for me is not worthy to update to latest firmware.

Klepni?te z Redmi2 2GB

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2821 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »
Hello everyone.
Anyone noticed Math->Filter bug? With the recent version of FW (probably with former version too) signal at the output of Math/Filter is shifted (delayed), and starts with "delay" - left side of the filtered signal's plot is "deleted", and the "deleted" interval is about equal to the time of the "delay".
BTW, RIGOL used non-casual filtering algorithm, and its response may look little strange in some situations.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2822 on: August 23, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »
Well, I've certainly noticed it. I can't remember if it did this on the previous firmware or not, but I'm sure we will hear from people who haven't "upgraded" yet who can test it for us.

The Filter trace always starts 1.5 divisions to the right of the left edge of the graticule area, no matter what timebase setting. The trace itself seems to lag about 1/2 division or so, more or less, depending on timebase setting.

Oh... and boxes:
First one, from TEquipment, two boxes
Second one, from TEquipment, one box
Third one, from Rigol USA, one box, that had been sent to some other state, was returned to Rigol, then sent to me. (Old shipping labels still on it.)

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2823 on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:39 am »
I have no Math Filter in my ooooold version (if it's there I missed it), but the lag and missing part lead me to think they are doing some convolution mumbo jumbo and need a number of points before producing a result and they did not care to shift the result back (probably because, since all computations appears to be done on visualized data, they would miss the same part at the end).

Just guessing.
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2824 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:23 am »
I get the same filter delay on 04.03.01.05. Unfortunately, I can't save a screenshot right now because the scope doesn't like my made-in-China thumb drive. Irony? :-DD

All the buttons stop functioning after inserting the drive. It's a 2GB formatted using FAT32 and I tried 1K, 2K and 4K cluster sizes. Oh, well. I'll have to find the one I used for firmware updates before. That one worked.

Anyway, the delay looks the same as what IAmBack posted.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf