Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2056910 times)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2950 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:13 pm »
We've just bought ourselves a new DS1074Z-S Plus for our hackspace.

We've been trying to unlock it using Riglol but having no luck, we always get "Invalid licence". This is with both manually entering in the licence key and using Telnet.

Are the current scopes hackable? We are using the latest firmware, just updated it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2951 on: September 25, 2016, 05:50:58 pm »
We've just bought ourselves a new DS1074Z-S Plus for our hackspace.

We've been trying to unlock it using Riglol but having no luck, we always get "Invalid licence". This is with both manually entering in the licence key and using Telnet.

Are the current scopes hackable? We are using the latest firmware, just updated it.

The "S Plus" models aren't hackable with Riglol.

Hacking work is still in progress, go over to this thread and watch for developments:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:52:58 pm by Fungus »

Offline Wall-E

• Contributor
  • Stijn
« Reply #2952 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »
Hello:

I have a DS1074Z with Software 00.04.04.01.01, Board 0.1.1, Boot 0.0.0.11, Firmware 0.2.3.11, CPLD 1.1.  The issue I have is that repeatably pressing the 5th key down (or any other) on the left side of the LCD will NOT provide a Factory Reset for me (Rest FRAM / Factor Default in Chinese).  Of course I'm assuming that this is due to my having Boot version 0.0.0.11.

Does anyone know how I could possibly reset the FRAM (for the Factory default settings)?  This is not a new issue for me, as I have never been able to accomplish a Rest with this or any previous FW/Software versions on this unit.

Thank you very much for any suggestions, Wally

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2953 on: September 26, 2016, 07:19:08 am »
Does anyone know how I could possibly reset the FRAM (for the Factory default settings)?  This is not a new issue for me, as I have never been able to accomplish a Rest with this or any previous FW/Software versions on this unit.

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-02f4/1/-/-/-/-/file.pdf

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2954 on: September 26, 2016, 09:19:42 am »
Hello:

I have a DS1074Z with Software 00.04.04.01.01, Board 0.1.1, Boot 0.0.0.11, Firmware 0.2.3.11, CPLD 1.1.  The issue I have is that repeatably pressing the 5th key down (or any other) on the left side of the LCD will NOT provide a Factory Reset for me (Rest FRAM / Factor Default in Chinese).  Of course I'm assuming that this is due to my having Boot version 0.0.0.11.

Thank you very much for any suggestions, Wally

Are you quite sure you are pressing the correct button, and pressing it over and over during the boot sequence? The correct button is shown in the attached image below.

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2955 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:16 am »

http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-02f4/1/-/-/-/-/file.pdf

Too many buttons!

Offline Wall-E

• Contributor
  • Stijn
« Reply #2956 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:18 am »

Too many buttons!

Yes I'm sure that I used the correct button, and I used several others also, and none of them did anything.  The procedure for the DS2000, 4000, 6000 doesn't work either for this unit.  By the way I purchased my DS1074Z before the DS1054Z was even available from Rigol.  And I should note that I haven't had many of the issues that I have read about here with the DS1054Z.  And I have never run into an issue where I had to do a Factory Reset on my unit to clear it up. :-+   And I don't recall seeing lock-ups on my unit.  Are there any Lock-Ups people are experiencing now with the latest firmware that I could try (I don't know of any)?  Anyway as you can see this hasn't been a problem for me, but even so, I would like to be able to do a Factory Reset. :-//

I'm very sure that the Factory Rest function is built in the Boot Loader, or I should say NOT in my unit's Boot Loader version 0.0.0.11

Edit:
Yes I continuously pressed the button in/out for the complete duration of the boot process.  From when I initially turned ON the unit to when it was completely done booting.

There must be several other early users of the DS1074Z with the same Boot version and issue.  Is it that they never had a need to Reset their units that no one else has mentioned this before?  Please - what say those of you?  Hey, I guess that I could have a hardware problem that is unique to this Reset thing(???).  Although otherwise I'm very happy with the o'scope.  Just wondering why my unit has always been different than others in this regard.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:58:06 pm by Wall-E »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2957 on: September 26, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »
I'm very sure that the Factory Rest function is built in the Boot Loader

Yep, that's the place it would be. If you have a very pre-production bootloader then it might not have that.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:43:42 pm by Fungus »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2958 on: September 26, 2016, 06:38:25 pm »

Too many buttons!

Because the manual was originally written for the DS2000, DS4000 and DS6000 series.
Just use the fifth button instead of the sixth and it will reset itself just fine.
At least it works on my DS1054Z.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2959 on: September 27, 2016, 01:05:17 am »
Is this the reset that even resets the language back to Chinese? Or, does this reset do anything more than using the menu Default button? Thanks.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2960 on: September 27, 2016, 06:38:15 am »
Is this the reset that even resets the language back to Chinese?

Yes.

Or, does this reset do anything more than using the menu Default button?

I haven't checked that.

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2961 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »
I'm sure I've seen someone else with this issue before, but I can't remember if there is a solution other than a new main board:

Applying the probe compensation square wave to channel 1 and a mask test reveals occasional glitches. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:50:46 pm by Mark »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2962 on: September 27, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »
If I remember correctly it was forum user alsetalokin4017.
Maybe you can mail him a PM, and ask him to write more details here under this thread.

Offline bulba99

• Contributor
« Reply #2963 on: September 27, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »
@Mark,

please read this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg655144/#msg655144
and below posts.

In firmware Release Notes I find this information about Pass/Fail test:
v00.04.03.00.01   2015/05/05
     - Added DS1104Z Plus and DS1074Z Plus

- Fixed pass/fail test
     - Fixed FFT operation
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:40:49 pm by bulba99 »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2964 on: September 27, 2016, 05:58:27 pm »
Yep. In my case, I discovered a glitchy CH4 within a couple weeks after receiving the scope from TEquipment. I got an RMA from them, sent the defective scope back, and a fairly no-hassle return replacement unit arrived fairly quickly.

My glitch was on CH4 only and did not require any signal. It would just strike intermittently. I documented it with several screenshots using the Mask feature.

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2965 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:11 pm »
In firmware Release Notes I find this information about Pass/Fail test:
v00.04.03.00.01   2015/05/05
     - Added DS1104Z Plus and DS1074Z Plus

- Fixed pass/fail test
     - Fixed FFT operation

LOL, let's hope this is not the same solution Volkswagen adopted for their cars' emissions...
:-)

Edit: Fixed lousy grammar.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:45:11 am by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2966 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:03 am »
LOL, let's hope this is not the same solution Volkswagen adopted for their car's emissions...

Another good reason for using/demanding opensource software.

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2967 on: September 29, 2016, 06:26:31 am »
I'm sure I've seen someone else with this issue before, but I can't remember if there is a solution other than a new main board:

Applying the probe compensation square wave to channel 1 and a mask test reveals occasional glitches.
I think I've seen this kind of waveform in my scope. There was solution - to switch on/off the x10/x1 slider on the probe for a few times. But possibly in my case there were no random "pluses :)" when signal was in the "low" state. Anyway, it is worth to check the probe.

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2968 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:32 am »
I've noticed that my scope in FFT mode can reach resolution 5GHz/Div. Well, at least I can set such value. Wow, this means something like 80GHz bandwidth (I can't remember how many divs are on the screen). Best SA on the market :) or another VW-like software :)?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2969 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:45 am »
LOL, let's hope this is not the same solution Volkswagen adopted for their car's emissions...

Have you seen the analysis of how the VW cheat works? It's really really well hidden.

It's not:

Code: [Select]
if (detect_EU_test()) {
  apply_cheat();
}

It's obviously designed to get past code reviews, etc.

I don't know how many 'eyes' you'd need on the code to see it if you didn't know it was there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:59:25 am by Fungus »

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2970 on: September 29, 2016, 08:35:26 am »
In VW case, it was deliberate fraud to offset carbon emissions and pass emission testing and yet have a fun car that is easier to sell.

In the case of the Rigol, if anything at all it is a bug. It is the opposite of VW - even the software locks (a route to revenue) are not updated albeit they must be aware by now that their hardware is being upgraded for free. Do higher HW sales compensate for lower unlock sales? Perhaps. But even if it was a marketing decision to give out free features - it a far cry from fraud... Competitive yes - fraud no.

Open sourced software would be nice, but I find it hard to envision that anyone would build software that supports all the types of devices (e.g. the FPGAs and processors) and architectures needed for a real hardware scope. We all want the source code to fix the little bugs that irritate us. But the majority of the software is okay and proprietary to the manufacturers choice of hardware and software infrastructure (FPGA, Processor(s), Display, Analog Interfaces, etc.).

It is hard to do an open source embedded (Squeezebox is one exception that I can recall that worked - but started as a cooperation between the developers and the community - and also severely limited their ability to expand the system)...  But open source without the manufacturer's help always ends belly up like the Open Sourced SamyGO (open sourced Samsung TV Firmware), like the Playstation hacks etc. 

There are myriads of open sourced scopes for Android, PC, even Apple devices (at base audio frequencies). As for hardware open sourced scopes, Red Pitaya and Labnation both tried and ended up being half open sourced, half walled garden, with inadequate software, limited bandwidth and prices which at 2 channel 30MHz get them to within $150-200 of a base Rigol DS1Z. And using software buttons (ugh) so not a real hardware scope...

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2971 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:43 am »

Have you seen the analysis of how the VW cheat works? It's really really well hidden.

It's not:

Code: [Select]
if (detect_EU_test()) {
  apply_cheat();
}

It's obviously designed to get past code reviews, etc.

I don't know how many 'eyes' you'd need on the code to see it if you didn't know it was there.

It doesn't look like it was hidden at all. ODBC II interface even reported on it.... As per the presentations - sure seems everyone from the OEM Robert Bosch to all the engine design and emissions management engineers at VW knew about it. They had to program different parameters for the different emission tests employed around the world, the different ECU models, etc.

They could have easily claimed it was a bug (the negative engine temp was the one constant that was "wrong") - but I think that in their opinion they were doing what everyone else was doing and possibly even the regulators were in the "know", and therefore instead of acknowledging it was a crisis they dragged it along assuming it would ebb and die - and made it worse. Only when it exploded in the US did they start taking it seriously.

But I don't think they hid it. It is a function of the Bosch ECU embedded software core (not sure what the original purpose was) - and reported by advanced ODBC modes.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2972 on: September 29, 2016, 09:02:25 am »
they must be aware by now that their hardware is being upgraded for free.
Well:
a) It's not exactly a secret on the Internet.
b) Strangely enough it's only the low-end models that can be unlocked. As soon as you go to the MSOs (really the same hardware/firmware) or the ones with unlockable signal generators then suddenly the codes stop working.

Do higher HW sales compensate for lower unlock sales? Perhaps. But even if it was a marketing decision to give out free features - it a far cry from fraud... Competitive yes - fraud no.
Rigol would sell almost zero DS1054Zs if they weren't unlockable.

eg. Companies like GW-Instek make a far nicer oscilloscope for slightly less money. Rigol only wins because you can get double the bandwidth of the GW-Instek plus a whole load of extra features for free.

Offline Quiggers

• Contributor
« Reply #2973 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:25 am »
DS1054z upgraded to latest firmware, the unlock codes for memory, recorder, decoder and triggering all worked, I havent bothered with bandwidth as I heard there's an option that the hardware doesn't support.

Thanks to the people who maintain this thread

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2974 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:27 am »
I heard there's an option that the hardware doesn't support.

That's the 500uV option. Bandwidth works just fine.

PS: How on earth can somebody go around saying "there's an option that the hardware doesn't support" but not tell you what the option is? Who would do that?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf