Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042631 times)

Offline MatthewTx

Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #4500 on: February 19, 2020, 09:03:54 pm »
Are there any sub-$500 oscilloscopes that you know of which DO have hard, plastic, tactile, satisfying-to-press buttons?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4501 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:30 pm »
Are there any sub-$500 oscilloscopes that you know of which DO have hard, plastic, tactile, satisfying-to-press buttons?
Doubtful, since tactile buttons (in particular, the button caps themselves and the additional assembly cost) cost a lot more than rubber membrane buttons, so they’re kinda the first thing to go when cost-cutting...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4502 on: February 19, 2020, 09:19:34 pm »
Not all buttons need to be plastic nor do they want to be as it restricts the designers to not being able to use LED backlight to show certain modes are selected.
The flexible membrane buttons have proven to be very reliable in scopes.

I think you need get to a shop that has a few brands of scopes and have a play with a few in order to find one that gives you the physical feedback you seek.
Unusual request but ymmv.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4503 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:54 pm »

You can have a look at scope which costs 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and beyond, you won´t find a scope without rubber keys and carbon contacts.
Last scopes I known were analog ones from the early 1990s, which used mechanical switches.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4504 on: February 19, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »
18000 USD Keysight MSOX3104T has rubber keypad...

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4505 on: February 19, 2020, 10:00:17 pm »
18000 USD Keysight MSOX3104T has rubber keypad...
$100k comms test sets have rubber keypads. There no longer seem to be any other types used in new equipment.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4506 on: February 20, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »
Not all buttons need to be plastic nor do they want to be as it restricts the designers to not being able to use LED backlight to show certain modes are selected.
Of course you can make plastic buttons that illuminate. It just pushes the cost even higher! :P

It is funny how different industries do or don't adopt different cost saving measures. You never see, for example, home cinema receivers with rubber membrane buttons, they use tact switches, often with elaborate lighting on higher end gear.* Similarly, that industry still uses a lot of VFDs, even as most other areas of electronics has abandoned them in favor of LCD or OLED.

*They also often use the quality of buttons on remote controls as a product differentiator: cheap devices have remotes with rubber buttons, high end models have remotes with tactile switches. My Panasonic plasma TV, the top of the line of its model year, has a magnificently well made remote, with tact domes on a real PCB, then a rubber membrane, designed to gasket against liquid intrusion, and then plastic keycaps, each individually keyed to ensure each key fits only in the correct position. A friend of mine bought the entry level model of the same year, and it came with a simple rubber button remote with identical functionality.

Offline stuartmp

• Contributor
« Reply #4507 on: March 25, 2020, 09:41:49 am »
Hi All,

Not sure is this is the best place to post this but, here goes.
I wanted let you guys know that I have made a Bode Plotter for the DS-1000Z scopes.
I knew that the DS1054Z could not create Bode plots, but that did not stop me wanting to create one.
So I started searching for viable solutions.

I first found Dave's YouTube clip showing a way you can sort of do it, but not quite.
See here
So I continued to search for more inspiration.

I then came across this python script https://github.com/jbtronics/DS1054_BodePlotter
Which shows a DS1054z Scope connected to a JDS6600 AWG.

So I thought maybe I can make my own. So I got to work writing my own Python script and a week or two later I finished it.
I works with a DS1000Z Series Scope connected to a DG4000 Series AWG.
I think the code could be easily modified to work with pretty much any AWG that has a LAN connection and supports scripting commands.

Here are some screen shots of a basic low pass filter.
I was blown away by the accuracy.

Hope you guy's like it.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Shock, xrunner, edavid, bitseeker, Mortymore, I wanted a rude username, duckduck, Amgard

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4508 on: March 25, 2020, 09:51:15 am »
Nice work. I've got a similar thing I was using with my DG1022Z and DS1054Z. I've not got an SDS1202X-E and a DG822 and haven't updated them yet  :(

The ability to "compose" instruments is a killer feature these days.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #4509 on: March 28, 2020, 02:25:01 am »
Hi All,

Not sure is this is the best place to post this but, here goes.
I wanted let you guys know that I have made a Bode Plotter for the DS-1000Z scopes.
I knew that the DS1054Z could not create Bode plots, but that did not stop me wanting to create one.
So I started searching for viable solutions.

I first found Dave's YouTube clip showing a way you can sort of do it, but not quite.
See here
So I continued to search for more inspiration.

I then came across this python script https://github.com/jbtronics/DS1054_BodePlotter
Which shows a DS1054z Scope connected to a JDS6600 AWG.

So I thought maybe I can make my own. So I got to work writing my own Python script and a week or two later I finished it.
I works with a DS1000Z Series Scope connected to a DG4000 Series AWG.
I think the code could be easily modified to work with pretty much any AWG that has a LAN connection and supports scripting commands.

Here are some screen shots of a basic low pass filter.
I was blown away by the accuracy.

Hope you guy's like it.

Looks intersting. Did you put your code on Github for the DG4000 series? If it is easy to modify, I might have a go at getting it going on the HP 33210A. My python is limited...

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4510 on: June 16, 2020, 09:17:33 am »
Navigational Warning

Don't flash the Z-E firmware in the old DS1000Z scope!

Because it seems Rigol made an error and it's possible to flash the 1st released version in the older machine, limiting it to 2 channels.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, bitseeker, Sredni, Jacon, alexalr

Offline SERJSOCHI

• Contributor
« Reply #4511 on: August 22, 2020, 11:38:06 pm »
Warning! Only perfectionists will be able to understand the small minor interface changes I have made.

I got tired of seeing the "STOP/WAIT/AUTO" indicator shifted up, so I edited it.
I was also annoyed by letters in "WA IT" word, I made it readable "W A I T".

I also got the idea to display an "empty loading interface" during startup, this allowed me to create the feeling of a smooth transition from loading to work. I made it too.

EDIT: Added button fix. ALL right panel buttons now have same height and position.
EDIT2: Right panel border color now same as left panel border.
EDIT3: Changed progress bar.
EDIT4: Changed channel blur labels and button highliting, changed exit menu button.

(Tested on ds1054z, based on FW 00.04.04.04.03, project folder https://yadi.sk/d/-GBWnMQ16S703g)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:05:25 pm by SERJSOCHI »

The following users thanked this post: Shock, edavid, bitseeker, rob040, bd139

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4512 on: August 23, 2020, 03:19:23 am »
Nicely done, SERJSOCHI. I especially like the kerning fix in the "WAIT" label. Now, if the values could be aligned with the rest of the text, it'd be perfect.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: SERJSOCHI

Offline SERJSOCHI

• Contributor
« Reply #4513 on: August 23, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »
Thank you.

the values
I don't know how to move values yet. I tried to move the panel down, but then the trigger value is at the wrong level in relation to other values.

I added some changes and edited previous post. Now I love my ds1054z.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4514 on: August 23, 2020, 07:32:37 pm »
Moving the values will probably require hacking the position data for the field output. I'm not sure that has been done before. Maybe someday.

Your fixes look great. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: SERJSOCHI

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4515 on: August 23, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
Can you correct the abhorrent, stark and surprising use of serif fonts everywhere as well please (like when you save a screen cap) :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki, bitseeker

Online Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4516 on: August 26, 2020, 09:15:53 pm »
Seems right to add this information to this thread as well, in order to alert all 10x4z users of this bug.

Acquisition at 500ms and 5s with 24M memory depth is affected by a timing bug that will cause timing errors of 4% and 20%, respectively. The thread for this bug is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-1054z-and-1074z-timing-problems-at-500ms-timescale-and-24m-memory-depth/

As of now it affects the latest version of firmware and Rigol has replied to a bug report with "install the current firmware". The one affected by the bug.

EDIT:  corrected the timebases, it's ms and s, not ns!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:19:23 pm by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4517 on: August 27, 2020, 02:18:34 am »
but they say that with the latest version of the firmware, that error also appears. What is the last one really? v00.04.04.04.03 30/05/2019  this does not correct the error
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:21:14 am by Adrian_Arg. »

Online Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4518 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:03 pm »
but they say that with the latest version of the firmware, that error also appears. What is the last one really? v00.04.04.04.03 30/05/2019  this does not correct the error

Exactly. So far Rigol's response has been "try to flash the latest firmware", ignoring that the bug appears on the latest firmware.
This bug affects all the DS/MSO 1000Z family: DS1054z, DS1074z, DS1104z and the mixed signal oscilloscope of the same type.

I wonder if Rigol will actually care to fix the bug.
I would be extremely pissed off if they didn't.
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline SERJSOCHI

• Contributor
« Reply #4519 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:53 pm »
serif fonts
I inspected all 6 fonts in guiResData.hex, they are non-serif, so to change serif fonts we need find it in SparrowAPP.out. No idea how to do that.

I made Simple UI for ds1054z:
- changed tray icons.
- changed buttons.
- trigger marker now fully visible at vertical axis.
- new integrating boot logo.
- another small changes, include post #4514.

(Tested on ds1054z, based on FW 00.04.04.04.03, project folder https://yadi.sk/d/-GBWnMQ16S703g )

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, rob040

Offline pitfermi

• Contributor
« Reply #4520 on: September 05, 2020, 09:53:54 pm »
i have a device which has an uart interface. I am capturing the boot log using a ds1054z, i see the signal on the scope and want to decode it.
i am using roll mode, because i want to check a particular sequence of bits when reading the TX pin of the device. as soon as the bit sequence is inside the screen I press STOP button on the top. since the scope is still in roll mode, i cant enable decoding on the fly. is there a way to save the captured signal exactly as it was read and decode it later? if no, how can i decode on the fly only a particular time interval of the uart output? thanks in advance

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4521 on: September 05, 2020, 10:02:01 pm »
You need to learn to use triggering.
You can trigger on specific UART characters in boot sequence..

Offline pitfermi

• Contributor
« Reply #4522 on: September 05, 2020, 10:52:06 pm »
You need to learn to use triggering.
You can trigger on specific UART characters in boot sequence..

i dont even know what the uart outputs, thats the problem. can you be more specific for this scope? or maybe a short demonstration video? sorry, i'm new to using scopes

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4523 on: September 05, 2020, 11:05:00 pm »
Sorry but I haven't a clue what you are looking for.
All I know that you can trigger on many trigger types and you should study triggering in user manual, and then figure out which one to use for this..

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4524 on: September 06, 2020, 06:11:24 am »
i have a device which has an uart interface. I am capturing the boot log using a ds1054z, i see the signal on the scope and want to decode it.
[...] is there a way to save the captured signal exactly as it was read and decode it later?

Are you sure you want to do this via the Rigol at all? If you need to analyze a larger chunk of serial data, and its timing relative to other output signals is not relevant, I would strongly recommend that you read it into a PC directly (via a serial-to-USB interface and a terminal program). Much easier to search or filter the data on the PC screen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf