Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2052511 times)

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #4550 on: March 30, 2021, 07:10:26 am »
Does anyone know of a screen replacement that works with this oscilloscope? (more exactly, the 1104z, but that one doesn't seem to have a thread) i'm asking since mine is currently being shipped, not in the original packaging, and post office people here are awful at handling things, so it may arrive broken and i'd like to be prepared if that happens.

Thank you!
Any update? Did it arrive OK?

IIRC from when I took mine apart to put in a quieter fan and replace the rotary encoder with one with detents, the LCD actually has a fairly thick plastic panel over it. I suspect they can take a bit of abuse, compared to a “naked” TFT like in non-touchscreen laptops, etc.

Oh, sorry, i missed this reply. It arrived Ok-ish, DHL seems to have played piñata with it and the back casing arrived broken, but at least it is still functional

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4551 on: March 30, 2021, 09:46:46 am »
Is possible to restore the original firmware for DS1054Z?

I think this solves the problem.

Edit: File removed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:34:13 pm by tv84 »

Offline bastech

« Reply #4552 on: March 30, 2021, 10:56:03 am »
Thank you, I will try tonight and let me know about the results.

Offline bastech

« Reply #4553 on: March 30, 2021, 03:24:04 pm »

I think this solves the problem.

Unfortunately, unchanged. The update attempt ends with a mistake: "Update was failured"
There is a firmware version on the next photo.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4554 on: March 30, 2021, 03:30:55 pm »
Unfortunately, unchanged. The update attempt ends with a mistake: "Update was failured"
There is a firmware version on the next photo.

:( Love that msg. Let me have another look.

Try this one.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:39:18 pm by tv84 »

Offline bastech

« Reply #4555 on: March 30, 2021, 04:26:19 pm »
:( Love that msg. Let me have another look.

Try this one.

Same. "Update was failured" I used two 8GB pendrives and nothing.
I also sent an e-mail to Rigol Support but have not been responsible for several days.
Echh it's through my hurry, better slower but more precisely ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:35:29 pm by bastech »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4556 on: March 30, 2021, 05:21:09 pm »
Is this the same problem as discussed here?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/error-updating-rigol-ds1054z/

Reply #7 in that thread describes a solution which worked back then. But that may be what tv84 has prepared aready?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4557 on: March 30, 2021, 05:41:50 pm »
Is this the same problem as discussed here?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/error-updating-rigol-ds1054z/

:-+ I knew this was already discussed but I didn't find it.

I think the solution then was something like this file attached. Flash it over a DS1kZ with wrong DS1kZ-E FW.

Offline bastech

« Reply #4558 on: March 30, 2021, 07:18:17 pm »
I think the solution then was something like this file attached. Flash it over a DS1kZ with wrong DS1kZ-E FW.

Again the same error.
I think it's a waste of time for that.
Thank you tv84 for your help. Maybe in the future someone will find a solution. And now ... the two channels are worse than four but better than nothing ;-)

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4559 on: March 30, 2021, 07:30:47 pm »
Again the same error.
I think it's a waste of time for that.
Thank you tv84 for your help. Maybe in the future someone will find a solution. And now ... the two channels are worse than four but better than nothing ;-)

We are missing a step. According to sebastos08's msg in that thread, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, you have to flash the 00.06.02.00.01 (here).

I think only after that you can flash my previous file.

Try and report.

Offline bastech

« Reply #4560 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:52 pm »
We are missing a step. According to sebastos08's msg in that thread, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, you have to flash the 00.06.02.00.01 (here).

I think only after that you can flash my previous file.

Try and report.

Yes, successful !!!
I uploaded version 00.06.02.00.01 but I had to change the file name to DS1000ZUpdate.GEL
After this operation, in the System -> Model was already as DS1104Z but only two channels were active

Then I uploaded Your last file by changing its name to DS1000Z-EUpdate.GEL
After restarting everything works as it should with four channels.
I had to change file names because without this updates were invisible to the oscilloscope.

Thank you very much for Your help, without You, I would not do this repair.

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4561 on: March 31, 2021, 10:34:13 am »
Hi! since i've had this oscilloscope, it ocasionally reboots itself seemingly at random. At first i didn't pay attention to it since i've left it on and it rebooted itself after at least 20 or 30 minutes since i last touched it, so i thought it must have been some time out thing, but today, that i've been using it pretty much the entire day it's rebooted on its own a couple of times while i changed a setting, or at most a couple of minutes since i last interacted with it in any way, and just now, that i turned it on again after about an hour that i turned it off, it rebooted itself not two minutes later!
Every time it has rebooted itself, the display turns off first, then the buttons turn off, then the relays click and then it turns on on its own in the same way it would as when you press the power button. Any idea of what could be causing this? Thank you!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4562 on: March 31, 2021, 11:25:52 am »
Sounds like a crash and watchdog reboot. Possibly RAM/CPU issue.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4563 on: March 31, 2021, 11:34:46 am »
Also could be a brownout detection and reset by power monitor because of some of the power buses having sags or increased ripple, or some other combination of problems on power buses. What sucks is that you need a scope to troubleshoot that ....

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Anthocyanina

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4564 on: March 31, 2021, 12:21:08 pm »
Also could be a brownout detection and reset by power monitor because of some of the power buses having sags or increased ripple, or some other combination of problems on power buses. What sucks is that you need a scope to troubleshoot that ....

You could use a multimeter to check the power supply voltages inside the 'scope to make sure they're OK.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4565 on: March 31, 2021, 12:27:19 pm »
This sort of stuff is why I’d rather pay 2x as much for a similar spec Keysight.

Issue is a similar spec Keysight is 4x as much  >:(

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4566 on: March 31, 2021, 12:45:17 pm »
Hi! since i've had this oscilloscope, it ocasionally reboots itself seemingly at random.

That's a defect, never seen a reset with mine since it was bought many years ago.  I managed in the past to make it freeze by sending wrong SCPI commands, but long ago, not with the latest few firmwares.

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4567 on: March 31, 2021, 01:01:09 pm »
You could use a multimeter to check the power supply voltages inside the 'scope to make sure they're OK.

Thank you all! i guess i'll have to try fungus' suggestion first, wonder if it's actually a power supply thing and i'll catch it with the multimeter, that would be great, i mean, it would be better if it stopped rebooting itself, but figuring out why it does sounds like the next best thing!

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4568 on: March 31, 2021, 01:04:01 pm »
This sort of stuff is why I’d rather pay 2x as much for a similar spec Keysight.

i just had to pay shipping for this one, so i'm still quite happy with it for the price, even after having dhl break the case. i wonder if this problem may have also be caused by them throwing it around during shipping :palm:

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4569 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:18 pm »

What are you on about? This is obviously a 'scope with a problem.

Nobody else's 'scope is resetting like this, hence the suggestion to check the power supply.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4570 on: March 31, 2021, 01:46:41 pm »

This scope was physically damaged (it was received with back cover broken. And that plastic is quite good quality and sturdy..).
It has nothing to do with quality and reliability of little Z machine which is very good.
DS1000Z has it's limitations, that are by design and driven with price. But quality is actually formidable.

OTOH, you did mention something I wholeheartedly agree with:  If Keysight was 20-30% more expensive than Rigols of this world with the same specs, most would simply buy big brand.
But they think brand is worth 4x the price. It isn't. It is worth some percentage, but not 4 times more...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4571 on: March 31, 2021, 02:26:02 pm »
Ok if it's been bashed around then yeah that's fair enough. I retract my comment :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki, 2N3055

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4572 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:41 pm »

This is the sort of stuff you read here for the first time after the scope has been in the market for at least 7 years, and has probably sold more units than Keysight ever will of any model in their lineup.

While I appreciate that it's bad luck for the owner of that particular scope, it is not going to influence my buying decision when it comes to the next piece of test equipment I might need.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4573 on: March 31, 2021, 04:02:29 pm »
Of course. My comment was a slight stab at Keysight’s pricing more than anything.

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4574 on: April 03, 2021, 02:11:00 am »
well, i've had it on for many hours, i was thinking if i had the multimeter connected to on of the power supply outputs while it rebooted itself and it showed no change, then i would just connect it to another output and repeat, but it just won't reboot itself now for more than 8 hours! i wonder if this error would be the kind that gets worse over time or if i shold just not worry about it and deal with the ocasional reboot?  :-// :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf