Author Topic: Read this before buying from Welectron  (Read 2682 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Read this before buying from Welectron
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:45:56 am »
To be perfectly honest, you should undo the edit. You have 0 reason not to disclose who you talked with. The fact that the only thing they have said so far is to PM you to remove the names doesn't look great for them. Hell, edit your OP to state you were PMed to remove stuff

Mails between them are private conversation and one side cannot publicly divulge any information in those without consent of other party. If you do, at request you need to take it down.

Company info is public data, correspondence is not..

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it is...

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Welectron

• Supporter
    • Welectron Online Shop
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 12:41:20 pm »
Hi Folks, hi @btspace,
We want to clarify this issue here.

We have been informed by the manufacturer of the 121GW a while ago that a certain batch shipped to us has been affected of a bug. This bug could lead to bricking the meter during a firmware update. We immediately removed affected stock from the website, but unfortunately, some meters of that batch have already been sold internationally. We sent an e-mail to affected customers not to update their affected meter and to await further instructions for replacing the device.

The affected 121GW are safe and fully functional, with the only exception that a firmware update should not be performed. Yes, we planned to replace the affected meters way earlier. However, this replacement programme is not a straight-forward process, as we not only have to replace meters within Germany, but also of customers outside of the EU that need special attention (including Norway and Switzerland). In cooperation with the manufacturer, we will cover all shipping expenses.

We had an important product launch that keeps us busy since beginning of June with a soaring increase of shipping and support volume. We hired new staff, but still had to shift priorities to keep (almost) everybody happy. We have many thousand customers worldwide, and thousands of new ones within the last few weeks, with the vast majority of them being really happy with us as we can see from the feedback we are getting.

This should not be an excuse, and I sincerely apologize for the experienced delays in this matter. We are not an evil company, but a team of engineers and tech enthusiasts, giving our best every day to keep you guys happy. We hope for your understanding.

We will send out the replacement meter to @btspace today in advance. The replacement programme for other affected units is almost ready. If anyone needs an urgent replacement upfront, please PM me with your order number and I will take care of it personally.

Best regards,
Marco
www.welectron.com - Test Equipment, Lab Supply and Embedded Systems
  • EEVBlog Distributor for Europe
  • Official Distributor for Brymen, Siglent and Maynuo: Free shipping within the EU and 5% discount for EEVBlog members with code eevblog2017

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Fungus, 2N3055, maub

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 01:49:55 pm »
Squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

The following users thanked this post: rodpp, genghisnico13

Offline Potato

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 06:32:36 pm »
I got a pm from Welectron to remove names in our email correspondence so that has now been edited out above. Sadly still no explanation.

Seems that noone has gotten their replacement yet. Atleast customers of Welectron.
Since starting this thread I got pm's from other owners that are still waiting for their replacement aswell.

Oh this is awful. So they were quick to (try and) protect themselves, but did not bother to attempt to make good your issue. Utterly awful.

Oh, and for those questioning why it is the seller who is responsible - it is because the only person the consumer has any form of contract with is the seller. I give the seller some money in exchange for an item that is fit for purpose, creating a contract between me and the seller. I have no agreement with manufacturer.

Personally I think selling warranties that cover the first 2 to 3 years of a product should be made illegal, since it should (in theory) add nothing to your rights in EU, and so is a form of misselling.

Anyway, back on topic: Welectron, shame on you

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »
The seller is responsible I am afraid. You can't just go to the manufacturer. I had this with ebuyer in the UK, they are hopeless. they sent me to Asus who sent me back to them. You have to go back to the person you have the contract with. This is why i use DPD to ship to Germany. Because if I use Royal mail, they give it to Parcel force, they give it to GLS who own them to deliver it in Germa'ny. GLS are awful and stuff goes missing. GLS won't talk to me and Royal mail will say they did their bit and passed it on. I am stcu in the middle. So I use DPD because i give it to them and they deliver it, either way they answer to me because my contract is with them.

Being a resseller I guess is not just about passing stuff on.
https://www.simonselectronics.co.uk/shop
Varied stock of test instruments and components including EEVblog gear and Wurth Elektronik Books.
Also, if you want to get ripped off: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/simons_electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Online SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 08:07:42 pm »
Personally I think selling warranties that cover the first 2 to 3 years of a product should be made illegal, since it should (in theory) add nothing to your rights in EU, and so is a form of misselling.
Technically it is fraudulent (usury) to charge money for no counterperformance. I guess most of these warranties cover something otherwise not covered, but the wording is important and needs to be distinguished from an insurance, as a warranty is just a term to describe who needs to prove a good was not fit at which point in time.
Support your local planet.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:02 pm »
This, too.

In Europe the manufacturer is responsible for repair/exchange, not the seller. If I buy something from a shop and it's defective I'm always told to contact the official service center. Anything else costs the seller money and that's not right, they're innocent.

In this case there's no official service center so it's a tough one.

Sorry Fungus but this is completely wrong. At least if you are buying the item in question as an individual. (With companies things may get hairy because regular consumer protection laws may not apply).

If you are buying things as an individual, then it is the seller who is your point of contact in case of any problem covered by a warranty. They can't bounce you off to some sort of repair center or to the manufacturer - you have concluded the sale with them, not the manufacturer, so the warranty is their problem, even if they just ship it to the manufacturer for repair anyway.

Of course some shops will try to brush you off and contact a service center but that's not kosher and you shouldn't accept that. Even if there is no official service center it is always the seller's responsibility to honor the warranty.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:19:33 pm by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Kilrah, newbrain, Jacon

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 11:45:38 pm »
If you are buying things as an individual, then it is the seller who is your point of contact in case of any problem covered by a warranty. They can't bounce you off to some sort of repair center or to the manufacturer - you have concluded the sale with them, not the manufacturer, so the warranty is their problem, even if they just ship it to the manufacturer for repair anyway.

Of course some shops will try to brush you off and contact a service center but that's not kosher and you shouldn't accept that. Even if there is no official service center it is always the seller's responsibility to honor the warranty.

The last thing that failed on me here in Spain was a Benq monitor, it died after about a year. I called Benq, they brought a new monitor to my house the next day and swapped it.

It sure seems better than going back to the store that sold it to me.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 07:50:20 am »
That is their choice and good that they do that. bBut the law does not make them do it.
Varied stock of test instruments and components including EEVblog gear and Wurth Elektronik Books.
Also, if you want to get ripped off: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/simons_electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 10:57:14 am »
Although i have also been struggling very hard to get hold of welectron to buy stock for my shop. And for those who think welectron is "the" Eu distributor for EEVBlog, i have been doing this for many years before welectron but as there is a lot of custom in Germany i guess it made sense to have a German distributor too.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »
Hi Folks, Best regards,
Marco

Marco!
What about stocking the DR Dee 5000 LCR meters?
https://www.deree.com.tw/de-5000-lcr-meter.html

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »
Hi Folks, Best regards,
Marco

Marco!
What about stocking the DR Dee 5000 LCR meters?
https://www.deree.com.tw/de-5000-lcr-meter.html

How much do they sell for? maybe I should stock them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 03:09:10 am »
@Dave, are you involved in this? Any update or background?

No I am not involved in this in any way. Welectron order direct from Kane/UEi, and Welectron are the one's who requested some change which was made for some units sent to them until it was discovered there was an issue.
I never got nor tested these units.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 03:21:40 am »
I never got the point why the seller has to repair or replace the sold out stuff under warranty.

For me the seller didn't build that tool or whatever other sold out stuff.

So, how can the seller repair anything? They are even not qualified or not registered for such of repairing.

For me the seller should only give a contact to an official service center and the service center should take care about the custommer.

This, too.

In Europe the manufacturer is responsible for repair/exchange, not the seller. If I buy something from a shop and it's defective I'm always told to contact the official service center. Anything else costs the seller money and that's not right, they're innocent.

In this case there's no official service center so it's a tough one.
Cannot be further from the truth. In EU seller is responsible for warranty. If manufacturer offers warranty repair/replacement directly, it's just a good will. If seller sends you to manufacturer service, you have right to insist they do it themselves and seller has no legal right to refuse.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:29 am »

Cannot be further from the truth. In EU seller is responsible for warranty. If manufacturer offers warranty repair/replacement directly, it's just a good will. If seller sends you to manufacturer service, you have right to insist they do it themselves and seller has no legal right to refuse.

Correct, this is exactly what I had with ebuyer. they sent me to the manufacturer and i said no and they had to oblige and sort it themselves.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2019, 08:06:47 am »
A common middle ground that avoids unnecessary shipping costs is the seller giving you the address of the service center for you to ship to, but they still handle the whole paperwork/ticket with the service center themselves so you never have any contact with them.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 08:11:51 am »

No I am not involved in this in any way. Welectron order direct from Kane/UEi, and Welectron are the one's who requested some change which was made for some units sent to them until it was discovered there was an issue.

I didn't know they did a different version to yours/mine. How does that work? isn't this the EEVBlog meter?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 09:19:32 am »
I didn't know they did a different version to yours/mine. How does that work? isn't this the EEVBlog meter?

I don't recall the exact details, but IIRC Welectron put in a routine firmware bug report about some issue a customer encountered, and in fixing that Kane released a version and units that would have unintentionally meant forking the firmware for that batch of units. I realised this and put a stop to it, and it was limited to 24 shipped units or something, the rest of Welectrons stock was sent back for re-calibration and it wasn't an issue.
It could have been me who received those units, it was just that Welectron was in the order pipeline instead of me, so nothing really to do with Welectron in this instance, it's not Welectrons fault at all.
The exact circumstances behind it all are more complicated than it sounds. It's like a plane crash, several otherwise unrelated things had to go wrong at the same time to produce such an event.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:57:44 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2019, 09:28:59 am »
Ah right. I thought for a momont that welectron were having their own firmware developed.

Offline btspce

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 09:21:54 am »
Just received the replacement 121GW from Welectron. Unfortunately no returnlabel so I have to pay for return shipping myself but I guess thats ok.

The new 121GW is running firmware 2.01 so there is atleast one newer firmware than the published 2.00.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf