Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2057234 times)

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2850 on: September 04, 2016, 08:11:36 am »
I am looking for the LabView software released by Alessandro for this scope but can't seem to find it on the NI website. Does anyone have a link to this software?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2851 on: September 04, 2016, 10:36:51 am »
I did the upgrade, I hacked all option except the 500uV (DSER) and finally an autocal. Everything works perfectly and I haven't had any problems during the procedure.
As you said (I've haven't seen the post since I was doing the work in that precise moment) I should have waited to do the unlocking, but I couldn't resist.. during my inital check everything worked and now there is no apparent change.
BTW In the unfortunate event of something wrong I can revert the hack with the SCPI console of Ultrasigma, can't I?
I also quickly "checked" the bandwidth with a fast risetime generator (based on a 74AC14) and the rise time changed from approx 3.2ns to 2.4ns.
Overall I'm super happy with my new purchase,this product feels very good, it's not even comparable with my old scope (beaten up 20MHz analog).
Thank you all!

Edit: forgot the ic code
Being calculated from on-screen data the rise time measurement will vary with the timebase (of course) but also with the amplitude, number of active channels and memory depth (at that speed, high wfm/s, the scope jitter...)
abd of course the actual shape. Just for fun i measured the trigger output because it was the fastest thing i got at hand. Piece of coax, Terminated input, line trigger... i got 2 ns. I don't think the scope will be faster than that :)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2852 on: September 04, 2016, 11:08:15 am »
The official DS1054Z spec claims a rise time of 7ns for a 50MHz scope and 3.5ns for a 100Mhz scope.

The real bandwidths have been measured here and found to exceed the spec by 30% or more (which explains your 2.4ns measured rise time for the unlocked 'scope...)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2853 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:34 am »
Rigol can't ever stop these codes from working because they sell them as upgrades. They can't put out a firmware update that stops legitimate keys from working.

Well, in principle they could introduce a new, stronger coding scheme for the unlock codes, hoping that no one breaks that too soon, and offer a "trade-in" program for legitimate buyers of old unlock codes/options. But I agree that this is very unlikely to happen, given the hassle it would mean for Rigol (verifying proof of purchase for legitimate options) and for users (having to obtain new codes after a firmware update to get options back).

Offline Siegurd

« Reply #2854 on: September 05, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »
Hello, please help how to run a continuous signal recording on a flash drive? I want to use this oscilloscope as recorder to monitor one signal source (record time in about several days). Maybe there is a normal software for PC to carry this record? I've tried the native software (Ultra Sigma + UltraScope) but it seemed to me UltraScope can not record the long time dependence of signal amplitude to a file (it can save individual screen 1 time per second).

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2855 on: September 05, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »
Hello, please help how to run a continuous signal recording on a flash drive? I want to use this oscilloscope as recorder to monitor one signal source (record time in about several days). Maybe there is a normal software for PC to carry this record?

You can connect a USB cable and use (eg.) a Python script to grab data. There's lots of examples on the web.

Offline Siegurd

« Reply #2856 on: September 05, 2016, 02:05:29 pm »
Hello, please help how to run a continuous signal recording on a flash drive? I want to use this oscilloscope as recorder to monitor one signal source (record time in about several days). Maybe there is a normal software for PC to carry this record?
You can connect a USB cable and use (eg.) a Python script to grab data. There's lots of examples on the web.

I use Matlab I and tried to get out of the oscilloscope data, but it turns out only 1212 points as in USB and in Lan connection. (Screen data - fprintf(MSO1000Z, ':wav:data?' )).
How do I get the data from the memory (RAW-data)?
I tried to get the RAW data from the memory with the command:
fprintf (MSO1000Z, ': wav: mode raw');
but unsuccessfully:
Warning: Unsuccessful read: The EOI line was asserted before SIZE values were available.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:09:25 pm by Siegurd »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #2857 on: September 05, 2016, 08:11:03 pm »
Rigol can't ever stop these codes from working because they sell them as upgrades. They can't put out a firmware update that stops legitimate keys from working.

Well, in principle they could introduce a new, stronger coding scheme for the unlock codes, hoping that no one breaks that too soon, and offer a "trade-in" program for legitimate buyers of old unlock codes/options. But I agree that this is very unlikely to happen, given the hassle it would mean for Rigol (verifying proof of purchase for legitimate options) and for users (having to obtain new codes after a firmware update to get options back).

It could be done in an easier way, especially for new customers,  however if they would do so,  I guess people would stop buying this model and opt for a slightly better though a bit more expensive model.

The hack made Rigol famous and the current number one hobby scope. I don't know if it was on purpose or not,  but that doesn't matter now. It was a good thing to happen to Rigol.

Also,  for hobby use,  it makes no difference if you hack your device or not,  as most people weren't in the market for the expensive options anyway.  They might however want to have those options at work and here most companies would not dare to hack their devices.

Regards

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2858 on: September 06, 2016, 09:16:18 am »
The hack made Rigol famous and the current number one hobby scope. I don't know if it was on purpose or not,  but that doesn't matter now. It was a good thing to happen to Rigol.

Rigol has been "allowing" it for quite a long time now. The previous generation DS1052E was also unlockable to a DS1102E.

It's safe to say they know all about Riglol and they know that people are unlocking them.

Offline smithnerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2859 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:04 pm »
I just noticed a new part number for the latest bundled probes - PVP2150.

http://int.rigol.com/File/TechDoc/20160905/PVP2150_UserGuide_CN&EN.pdf

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2860 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:48 am »
Our Hero got new fw. update.

http://int.rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/3

DS1000Z Firmware_00.04.04.01.01 2MB 2016-09-14

"
[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.04.04.01.01  2016/09/14
     - Supported the multi-inteface of LXI
     - Fixed bugs about Measure
"

Who first :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:35:12 am by IAmBack »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2861 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:27 am »
Just to complete:

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.04.04.01.01  2016/09/14
     - Supported the multi-inteface of LXI
     - Fixed bugs about Measure

Is the "Pluses" typo already fixed?  :D

And how about the RMS problems? Have they already fixed it? If yes, it was fast!!!

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2863 on: September 14, 2016, 11:14:12 am »
Another one? genuinelly impressed
will try tonight

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2864 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:12 pm »
Bi-Monthly updates? Cool!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:42:35 pm by Fungus »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2865 on: September 14, 2016, 01:03:55 pm »
Rigol has been "allowing" it for quite a long time now. The previous generation DS1052E was also unlockable to a DS1102E.

It's safe to say they know all about Riglol and they know that people are unlocking them.
For Rigol it's a good trick to get rid of all potential warranty claims.
For the customer too: he can choose between warranty and extra functions.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2866 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:31 pm »
For Rigol it's a good trick to get rid of all potential warranty claims.

Well,
a) The features can easily be locked again, leaving no trace (as far as anybody here knows).
and
b) I don't recall a single person posting here posting about warranty problems because of unlocking.

I don't know if (b) is because they're built so well that there's not many failures yet* or if it's because Rigol doesn't ask many questions. I don't really care either way.

(*) Yes, there have been a few cases of people posting about scopes that were DOA but I don't recall anybody posting about long-term failure yet. It's coming up to two years since it was released, so....  :-//

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2867 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:13 pm »
I can confirm that v00.04.04.01.01  2016/09/14 fixes RMS bug!

Good job on this one Rigol...

I will check more but this was only serious gripe for me at the time..

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2868 on: September 14, 2016, 02:21:25 pm »

And the UI isn't slow anymore?

And, btw, how about the "Pluses"?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2869 on: September 14, 2016, 02:27:23 pm »

I don't find UI to be bothersome... I will check it more later..

And it does say +Pulses and -Pulses, so I guess that is fixed, not that I care... I understood what it meant anyways..  Funny, but not important... But RMS measurement was serious thing and I'm very glad it works now..

And now of to work ...

Cheers!

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2870 on: September 14, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »

So that's basically everything fixed then.

I'm sure people will still keep on saying "Yaigol" to newbies but there's not much to be done about that.

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2871 on: September 14, 2016, 02:45:41 pm »

And it does say +Pulses and -Pulses, so I guess that is fixed, not that I care... I understood what it meant anyways..  Funny, but not important... But RMS measurement was serious thing and I'm very glad it works now..

And now of to work ...

Cheers!

Well thank you about that! Now this is a update that I'm going to make this weekend.

Nice to know that they finally have heard the costumers and fixed the issues (some of them a bit late, but it's solved anyway).

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2872 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »
Well thank you about that! Now this is a update that I'm going to make this weekend.

Nice to know that they finally have heard the costumers and fixed the issues (some of them a bit late, but it's solved anyway).

I wonder if they've started reading this...  :popcorn:

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2873 on: September 14, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »

I wonder if they've started reading this...  :popcorn:

That... Well, that will be very clever from them. I guess that they won't find another place with this bug compilation.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2874 on: September 14, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »

And it does say +Pulses and -Pulses [snippety snip]
On the menu, yes...on the on-screen measurement it's still Pluses. :-DD
Ah well, I will not complain for my scope having so many pluses over the competition...

Is the UI a tad more responsive? Or just placebo effect?
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf