Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042356 times)

Offline ruggb

Re: Vertical position
« Reply #4425 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:07 pm »
new (last month) 1054Z with all upgrades and SP4 firmware.
When viewing a PWM square wave -
single channel, AC coupled, triggered @ ~ 50%, Vert = 100mv/, waveform centered.
As the pulse width of the signal is changed, the position of the waveform on the screen changes.
50% - waveform is centered
60% - waveform moved down 50mv
70% - waveform moves down another 50mv
40% - waveform moves up 50mv
30% waveform moves up another 50mv

no settings changes on the scope, it is AC coupled, so why does it move?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4426 on: April 20, 2019, 10:10:14 pm »

It moves exactly because it is AC coupled. The average voltage of your signal changes as you vary the PWM duty cycle. And AC coupling puts this average voltage at the center of the scale.

Offline ruggb

« Reply #4427 on: April 20, 2019, 10:57:48 pm »

It moves exactly because it is AC coupled. The average voltage of your signal changes as you vary the PWM duty cycle. And AC coupling puts this average voltage at the center of the scale.

I am trying to teach this old dog new tricks. thank you for your enlightnement

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #4428 on: April 20, 2019, 11:38:49 pm »
That is one of the reasons I like the peak-to-peak automatic triggering modes in old Tektronix oscilloscopes; the trigger point does not change as the duty cycle changes but it still tracks level changes.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: rise time
« Reply #4429 on: April 21, 2019, 05:38:59 pm »
When viewing the cal signal - as I change the time base, the displayed rise time changes.
The signal does not change so why does the displayed rise time change?

Because all calculations on a DS1054Z are done using the "on screen" data. You get most accurate numbers when you zoom in.

Offline ruggb

« Reply #4430 on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »
When viewing the cal signal - as I change the time base, the displayed rise time changes.
The signal does not change so why does the displayed rise time change?

Because all calculations on a DS1054Z are done using the "on screen" data. You get most accurate numbers when you zoom in.
Thanks, so for sample shown the 3.00µs is the closest, except that is most affected by the sample rate so it varies a lot
If the sample rate is 1Gs/S, what variation should I expect? It seems like it varies more that the sample rate would indicate. What else affects it?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:10:23 pm by ruggb »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4431 on: April 22, 2019, 02:34:08 pm »
...all calculations on a DS1054Z are done using the "on screen" data. You get most accurate numbers when you zoom in.
It seems like it varies more that the sample rate would indicate.

It's nothing to do with the sample rate.

What else affects it?

It's the pixels on screen, nothing else.

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4432 on: May 09, 2019, 06:46:37 pm »
Hello i have few questions about rigol ds1054z

1. My rigol has 04.04.03 firmware i patched it in past to enable all features including 100mhz bandwitch , now i wants to update firmware to latest available and i dont know how? , should i delete feature hack after update it to latest firmware and patch again to enable all features ?

2. There are few pc-apps to communicate with rigol by using pc and store captured data but this isnt enough for my projects , lets say i need to store 50 - 100 captured traces of similiar signal each trace individually triggered
This feature is working by using function called waveform record , it can store many traces by recording and later is possibly to playing trace by trace/next trace etc. but these waveforms are recorded and stored inside rigol memory
So my question is about is possibly to download somehow from rigol all this recorded waveforms to PC after ? not live but after all recordings done
Thanks

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4433 on: May 09, 2019, 10:13:48 pm »
1. My rigol has 04.04.03 firmware i patched it in past to enable all features including 100mhz bandwitch , now i wants to update firmware to latest available and i dont know how? , should i delete feature hack after update it to latest firmware and patch again to enable all features ?

No need to remove keys. Just roll the update - licenses will be carried over. The "hacked" keys are official keys due to bad implementation of key encryption. :)

2. There are few pc-apps to communicate with rigol by using pc and store captured data but this isnt enough for my projects , lets say i need to store 50 - 100 captured traces of similiar signal each trace individually triggered
This feature is working by using function called waveform record , it can store many traces by recording and later is possibly to playing trace by trace/next trace etc. but these waveforms are recorded and stored inside rigol memory
So my question is about is possibly to download somehow from rigol all this recorded waveforms to PC after ? not live but after all recordings done

You can simply write the recorded waveforms to a USB memory stick via the front USB port.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: lfldp

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4434 on: May 10, 2019, 07:14:11 am »

No need to remove keys. Just roll the update - licenses will be carried over. The "hacked" keys are official keys due to bad implementation of key encryption. :)

You can simply write the recorded waveforms to a USB memory stick via the front USB port.
1. thanks
2. I dont see that option in RIGOL DS1054Z i can save only one currently displayed  waveform to usb pendrive , but in waveform record menu is possibly only to record/play+repeat steps etc.. but option to copy all recorded waveforms to pc or usb is not available or did i miss something ?
Ive checked also rigol scpi commands and i dont see any commands related to dump waveform storage buffer to pc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:07:57 am by lfldp »

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4436 on: May 11, 2019, 12:27:11 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-and-mso1000z-exporting-waveform-to-computer/
it seems nobody is still understanding me :)
but ok ill try to explain again deeply

all this apps available for connect to rigol are able to download printscreen from rigol or saved waveform whatever which is available to load via rigol menu for display too

whats i wanna achieve there is to download all recorded traces which arent available for download to usb pendrive
there is one function in rigol called waveform recording option you can do long recordings trace next trace next trace etc.. later you can display/load them to rigol screen or delete after but there is no way to download them from rigol
the problem is i need record many traces as fast as possibly and download them
offcourse i can do one trace download it via pc app and do second trace and repeat download but this would be nightmare if so many traces like 50 - 100 will needed to download

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4437 on: May 11, 2019, 12:36:08 pm »
I understand that DSRemote can download full waveform data, but have not used it myself:
https://www.teuniz.net/DSRemote/

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4438 on: May 11, 2019, 12:41:28 pm »
I can't recall such a feature in various 1054z related software.
Check the programming guide, it may be possble to do by scpi command.
Short pieces, high value, small period, huge amount, long delay.

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4439 on: May 11, 2019, 01:34:04 pm »
I can't recall such a feature in various 1054z related software.
Check the programming guide, it may be possble to do by scpi command.
@ebastler thanks i will check dsremote soon when i have access to linux system

well... looked into scpi commands in short but i dont see any commands related to my case

btw. have another question i think there is just one rigol osciloscope model who has external reference clock input (this function and port doesnt exist in DS1000 series)
with this function is possibly to synchronise oscilloscope with device clock to measure only on clock edges do anybody know is possibly somehow to mod DS1000 oscilloscopes to add this functionality ?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4440 on: May 11, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »
btw. have another question i think there is just one rigol osciloscope model who has external reference clock input (this function and port doesnt exist in DS1000 series)

It's missing from many (most?) 4-channel 'scopes. The trick is to use one of the 4 channels instead.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4441 on: May 11, 2019, 03:17:02 pm »

It's missing from many (most?) 4-channel 'scopes. The trick is to use one of the 4 channels instead.
Using one of the channels (no need to display it) would do as a replacement for an external trigger, but I think lfldp was asking for an external reference clock, to be used in place of the internal oscillator e.g. to synchronize several instruments or for better time precision.
That kind of input is generally not available on cheap scopes.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: lfldp

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4442 on: May 11, 2019, 06:21:33 pm »
i reply to few posts
thanks for help there
 @PeDre i understand about you wants to release something which i missed but only for currently used instruments by you (but i can do it myself too by adapting SCPI commands right?)

@Fungus offcourse you can do it like that but you get jitter you dont get clean trace 
@newbrain thats right this is exactly about whats i mentioned there whether the ext reference input clock is available in oscilloscope you can reduce needed sampling rate alot and perhaps thats why oscilloscope manufacturers dont installing that kind of options in low budget devices
anyways few months ago i read in google somwhere about there exist some kind of modiffications for certain oscilloscope manufactures to handle ext ref
well maybe after few years somebody would intend to reverse rigol firmware and to add some functions :) or maybe i do it myself it need access to fpga bitstream and could be big problem to add this feature do i have right ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:25:07 pm by lfldp »

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4443 on: May 11, 2019, 06:34:24 pm »
@PeDre i understand about you wants to release something which i missed but only for currently used instruments by you (but i can do it myself too by adapting SCPI commands right?)

I have a DS1000Z and a self-programmed program. I can extend the program so that you can save the records from memory. You only have to specify the required data format. The program does not store any data at the moment.

Peter
ok
but the required data format by me or data format stored by rigol after recording done ?
if required data format by me i think is standard .wfm waveform , i think recording options store traces in same format
email sended
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:38:04 pm by lfldp »

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4444 on: May 13, 2019, 05:15:58 pm »
I did not double check if Rigol is keeping true to the initial specs, but AFAIK the .wfm waveform file type has been developed by Tektronix and all the specifications are to be found here: https://download.tek.com/manual/Waveform-File-Format-Manual-077022011.pdf
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: PeDre, RoGeorge

Offline WhichEnt2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4445 on: May 14, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
There is a data-from-wfm wfm to csv converter (and C library) by Rigol https://rigol.com/Support/SoftDownload/5 as well as some "waveform read" C# and matlab examples that can maybe shed some light on Rigol's wfm file structure.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:26:21 pm by WhichEnt2 »
Short pieces, high value, small period, huge amount, long delay.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4446 on: May 16, 2019, 08:23:48 pm »
you should do mac & linux builds or share the source.
purebasic is pretty universal.  :-+

Offline bulba99

• Contributor
« Reply #4447 on: May 17, 2019, 05:22:22 pm »
A new firmware is available.

https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-0576/1/-/-/-/-/DS1000Zver_04.04.04.02.zip

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.04.04.04.02  2019/02/26
     - Add new encoder drivers

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4448 on: May 17, 2019, 05:54:31 pm »
A new firmware is available.

https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/attachment/1579/f-0576/1/-/-/-/-/DS1000Zver_04.04.04.02.zip

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.04.04.04.02  2019/02/26
     - Add new encoder drivers

Old news.

Offline burkm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4449 on: June 25, 2019, 01:54:39 pm »
There is already a firmware version "DS1000Zver_04.04.04.03.zip" available from Rigol.
Downloaded it yesterday and upgraded my instrument already without a problem. Unfortunately I forgot, where I got that update from, but I think it had that infamous entry form in front: I entered some pretty name(s), "any" serial no  :) and the instrument model and => voila... got the latest update immediately in return: Link https://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/form/1579/0025:d-0005/0/-/-/-/-/index.htm

By the way, all new DS1000Z oscilloscopes come with all options enabled now for "free". No more "illegal" hacking then...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf