Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042464 times)

Offline LogAmp90

Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1475 on: June 10, 2015, 04:05:40 pm »
Oops, obviously not.  Where is it?

I PM'd you the link.  Don't know if Rigol would get cranky about posting it on the forum.

Note, there are two changes and 10 additional bug fixes in 04.03.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1476 on: June 10, 2015, 05:32:33 pm »
I'd like to see that official list of changes myself.

I have identified two: in the 04.02 firmware, when your Trial Options have expired, there was a typo on the Options Installed screen, where "trial" was misspelled "trail"... this has been fixed in 04.03. Also, the Hardware Frequency Counter in 04.02 would revert to "<15Hz" when the scope was Stopped --- stopping the scope makes screensaves to USB much faster--- and now in 04.03 the HFC keeps the last value displayed when the scope is Stopped.

These are the only two changes I have noticed in my own usage of the scope.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline LogAmp90

« Reply #1477 on: June 11, 2015, 12:42:15 am »
Well I upgraded to 04.03.  No performance difference that I can see.  Then again I only had a few hours into 04.02.SP4.

At least I didn't brick it.  :)

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #1478 on: June 11, 2015, 01:18:54 am »

I PM'd you the link.  Don't know if Rigol would get cranky about posting it on the forum.

Can you send that to me too? Many thanks.

Also, the 500uV/div option, does it hurt the scope if installed? Does it hurt the scope if used? Or just not useful due to the hardware limits/offset?

Josh

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:02 am »

Can you send that to me too? Many thanks.

Also, the 500uV/div option, does it hurt the scope if installed? Does it hurt the scope if used? Or just not useful due to the hardware limits/offset?

Josh

I think that we'd all like to know the bug fixes in 4.03.  Can you PM them to me too?
-katie

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1480 on: June 11, 2015, 05:06:30 am »
I think that we'd all like to know the bug fixes in 4.03.  Can you PM them to me too?

If you already requested the firmware update, the same link that they mailed you for the release notes works for the updated release notes. It did for me, at least.

But here's a copy/paste of the list of changes:

• Modified the method of key board test and screen test and optimized processing speed.
  • The display of keyboard lights and the show of menu was wrong while switch the timebase mode between YT and ROLL in the Normal trigger mode.
  • The saved data of REF waveform was wrong while STOP the system then open the channel.
  • The output of AUX was wrong while the function of Pass/Fail was closed.
  • The display of LA signal was wrong while adjust the delay calibration of LA signal.
  • The position of LA wave and label of LA channel was wrong while load the file of LA waveform then RUN the system.
  • The wave of channel1 can not be displayed while open the scan mode then switch the channel2 over and over again.
  • The position of LA wave was wrong while load the file of LA waveform before change the position of the LA channel.
  • The memory data of LA channel was wrong when use the remote command to read.
  • Save the CSV file failed while the system stopped.
  • Fixed the bug of unlocked the key board failure when save the file.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1481 on: June 11, 2015, 08:10:19 am »
Is 04.03 also available for the MSO1104 too? And does 04.03 have any effect on "liberated options" ?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1482 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:35 pm »

If you already requested the firmware update, the same link that they mailed you for the release notes works for the updated release notes. It did for me, at least.

But here's a copy/paste of the list of changes:

Thank you for that!  It looks like they fixed mostly things not on the list I've been maintaining here:    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-%28ds1054z-ds1074z-ds1104z-and-s-models%29-bugswish-list/

-katie

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1483 on: June 11, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »
Does Rigol still require the contact method to download firmware or do they have a direct link?

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1484 on: June 11, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »
Does Rigol still require the contact method to download firmware or do they have a direct link?

This page currently provides a link to the 4.03 update (even though it says 4.02): http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

Thanks

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: June 11, 2015, 06:30:35 pm »

This page currently provides a link to the 4.03 update (even though it says 4.02): http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

Thanks

For future reference: the summary at the start of this thread does provide this information.

Offline dylbob42

« Reply #1486 on: June 17, 2015, 07:48:37 am »
Hi all

I've been tinkering with retro consoles for just under a year and its got to the point where im in need of a scope plus i just want to understand better what im doing rather than just follow instructions.

i was about to buy a DS1052E until i came across the DS1054Z. It looked like a lot better choice for a little more money but it seems to have its issues and being my first scope i wouldn't have the experience to troubleshoot issues . My rational was that i would future proof myself a bit with the DS1054Z as i got more experienced.

I got a reply email from a Rigol tech saying that the 00.04.03 firmware resolved the issues, but he would wouldn't he..

so what should i do? should i just stay away from the DS1054Z get a old faithful DS1052E?  They are cheapish and i am just getting into this side of things.   

cheers
im just this guy ,ya know?

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1487 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:58 am »
It's got some quirks and bugs, but I would buy it again and recommend it.  Like I've said in the delayed sweep lockup thread, I've seen far worse bugs in far more expensive equipment.  You'll have a much harder time of things without the intensity graded display, especially as a beginner.  Sticking that in a tiny, sub $400 scope was the last nail in the coffin for my old analog scope...and good riddance.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:35 am »
Hi all

I've been tinkering with retro consoles for just under a year and its got to the point where im in need of a scope plus i just want to understand better what im doing rather than just follow instructions.

i was about to buy a DS1052E until i came across the DS1054Z. It looked like a lot better choice for a little more money but it seems to have its issues and being my first scope i wouldn't have the experience to troubleshoot issues . My rational was that i would future proof myself a bit with the DS1054Z as i got more experienced.

I got a reply email from a Rigol tech saying that the 00.04.03 firmware resolved the issues, but he would wouldn't he..

so what should i do? should i just stay away from the DS1054Z get a old faithful DS1052E?  They are cheapish and i am just getting into this side of things.   

cheers

What type of Retro consoles are you tinkering with? Depending on what they are, you might be better off going one higher and getting one with a Logic Analyser? I repair 8-Bit computers (Late 70's to early 90's) and an LA is well worth having.

McBryce.

Offline dylbob42

« Reply #1489 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:23 am »
Hi all

cheers

What type of Retro consoles are you tinkering with? Depending on what they are, you might be better off going one higher and getting one with a Logic Analyser? I repair 8-Bit computers (Late 70's to early 90's) and an LA is well worth having.

McBryce.

game consoles,NES, SNES, still got to crack open that N64 and work out how to get RGB out of a turbo express. you know, the usual RGB mods. Got a C64 waiting in the wings but its the sega CDX that has got me stumped. i have replace the laser on a few but i came across one that needs calibration. i looked for the service manual and it turns out i will need a scope for the job, also its a excuse to get a scope and acquire some more skills down the electronics path.

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #1490 on: June 17, 2015, 10:21:19 am »
I repair 8-Bit computers (Late 70's to early 90's) and an LA is well worth having.
McBryce.

I spent the last weekend fighting with an Olivetti M10 (Tandy TRS-80 Model 100 clone) with my DS1104z and a Saleae 8...
I'm quite happy with the instrument setup but totally lost on how to debug my old friend.
May I contact you in private for a quick chat?

Going back on topic, i think there is no comparison between the DS1000z and the DS1052E.
With the DS1000z you get so many features, software options (for free), memory, channels (double :)), bandwidth (double for free) ....
You can have a really specific need for the old DS1052E but generally speaking i can't see it.
All the rumors with some bugs are just because there is a lot o interest in this scope, so many people bought it and all possible small bug have a huge visibility even though most of this bugs are really nuances and Rigol is constantly releasing improvements.

Mauro

Offline dylbob42

« Reply #1491 on: June 17, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
So the bugs everyone is talking about aren't major or crippling?

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1492 on: June 17, 2015, 11:34:31 am »
So the bugs everyone is talking about aren't major or crippling?
Correct.

Nein, Zaphod's just zis guy, you know?

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1493 on: June 17, 2015, 11:43:47 am »
game consoles,NES, SNES, still got to crack open that N64 and work out how to get RGB out of a turbo express. you know, the usual RGB mods. Got a C64 waiting in the wings but its the sega CDX that has got me stumped. i have replace the laser on a few but i came across one that needs calibration. i looked for the service manual and it turns out i will need a scope for the job, also its a excuse to get a scope and acquire some more skills down the electronics path.

Then you should definitely consider looking at either a scope with LA or a seperate LA for debugging.

Bryce.

@Marouh: Go for it.

Offline dylbob42

« Reply #1494 on: June 17, 2015, 12:56:18 pm »
thanks for the reply's
 i was a bit on the fence about the bugs. wasn't sure if it was the glitchy brick people were making it out to be.  ill have to start hunting down a supplier. Ive seen it mentioned that there is some sort of discount for EEVblog members, is that true? could i get some details if anyone knows.

ill look into getting a LA too

cheers all  :-+

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1495 on: June 17, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »
thanks for the reply's
 i was a bit on the fence about the bugs. wasn't sure if it was the glitchy brick people were making it out to be.  ill have to start hunting down a supplier. Ive seen it mentioned that there is some sort of discount for EEVblog members, is that true? could i get some details if anyone knows.

There's a discount from TEquipment.net, which is located in the US. They do ship internationally however, so PM sent.   :-+

For an alternate source, Emona would be worth a look given your location.

Offline dylbob42

« Reply #1496 on: June 17, 2015, 02:06:56 pm »
thanks for the reply's

There's a discount from TEquipment.net, which is located in the US. They do ship internationally however, so PM sent.   :-+

awesome! thanks for that, think ill get it from TEquipment, i can wait for free post. AUSTPost is quite costly, are there any accessorys i should pick up from them while im at it?

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #1497 on: June 17, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »
Since you need the LA have you considered the MS1074z?
I chose the DS1074z and a Saleae 8 clone (8$, sorry Saleae guys I will consider the genuine one when I will sell thousand of my electronic gadgets... :))
If you will like the tool and you will need more, you can upgrade lately to something more powerful (also the new Saleae are nice).

Mauro

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:47 pm »
thanks for the reply's

Do note that the free shipping is only for the continental US, so there will be a shipping fee to OZ.

awesome! thanks for that, think ill get it from TEquipment, i can wait for free post. AUSTPost is quite costly, are there any accessorys i should pick up from them while im at it?
Do note that the free shipping offer is only for the continental US, not international delivery.

As per the rate, that will be set based on the carrier you chose on TEquipment's site when you place the order. As per postal systems, the rate is set by the first postal service to handle the package. So if say the US Postal Service starts your package delivery, they set the rate, even though AUSTPost will finish the delivery to your door (international postal agreements).

As per extra goodies to add to the order, that's up to you. Examine your need, and go from there. For example, if you need an active probe and their prices are better than you can find at home, go for it. Just keep the total value within 1000AUD to avoid GST.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:44:18 pm by nanofrog »

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1499 on: June 17, 2015, 03:14:06 pm »
thanks for the reply's

The major bug at the moment is that with a specific time base setting, AND a longer than minimum persistence setting, AND the memory depth set to auto, SOME scopes lock up. It is a major bug because the scope should NEVER lock-up, but it's so easy to avoid that it's completely a non-issue.  Believe me, with all the hair pulling, cursing and face palming I've had to do over the years to track down and make workarounds for bugs in various pieces of equipment, I'd kill to have this be the worst I'd ever have to run into!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf