Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042504 times)

Offline Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2125 on: April 27, 2016, 08:00:52 am »
Thanks.  I thought it would be obvious...   |O

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2126 on: April 27, 2016, 11:19:45 am »
I haven't been able to successfully trigger a spi bus with trigger in spi-mode. if you can't too, use trigger holdoff or trigger every nth pulse, so that every new window is a number of readings instead of triggering at each packet. zooming out i was able to successfully decode series of about sixteen 16bit messages at the same time (thank you, gigantic amount of memory)
which was a better result than with a picoscope 2202a

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2127 on: April 27, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
I haven't been able to successfully trigger a spi bus with trigger in spi-mode. if you can't too, use trigger holdoff or trigger every nth pulse, so that every new window is a number of readings instead of triggering at each packet. zooming out i was able to successfully decode series of about sixteen 16bit messages at the same time (thank you, gigantic amount of memory)
which was a better result than with a picoscope 2202a

If data comes in bursts then the "timeout trigger" works well for always triggering at the start of a packet.

Read the manual, learn the features.  :popcorn:

Offline Hinziman

« Reply #2128 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:10 pm »
and what about a link that unlock all teh features?
Hint: go to your favorite search engine, and type in "Riglol 1.03d".

Once you get to the page, type in your unit's S/N in the first field, type in DSER in the Options field, and leave Privatekey blank. Then click Generate. Enter the generated key into the scope, and that's it (how-to is in the .pdf manual).

Doesn't get any easier than that.  ;D
Will this work with any firmware? I'm thinking of picking a brand new one up sometime this week. Please advise. Thanks

It did worked for me! I bought a brand new one from tequipament, one month ago. Used the DSER with no problems.

It did not work for me...I have the latest firmware version, and it does not accept the code with DSER. Somehow it autofills the "privatekey" field. Can this be the problem?

This is quite a downer to be honest, need the SPI decoding NOW, and might need to cough up the doh for an official key....which was actually not part of the business case.

Thanks for an awesome thread btw :)

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2129 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »
and what about a link that unlock all teh features?
Hint: go to your favorite search engine, and type in "Riglol 1.03d".

Once you get to the page, type in your unit's S/N in the first field, type in DSER in the Options field, and leave Privatekey blank. Then click Generate. Enter the generated key into the scope, and that's it (how-to is in the .pdf manual).

Doesn't get any easier than that.  ;D
Will this work with any firmware? I'm thinking of picking a brand new one up sometime this week. Please advise. Thanks

It did worked for me! I bought a brand new one from tequipament, one month ago. Used the DSER with no problems.

It did not work for me...I have the latest firmware version, and it does not accept the code with DSER. Somehow it autofills the "privatekey" field. Can this be the problem?

This is quite a downer to be honest, need the SPI decoding NOW, and might need to cough up the doh for an official key....which was actually not part of the business case.

Thanks for an awesome thread btw :)

---- Er..... Check your PMs.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ArisTos

« Reply #2130 on: May 07, 2016, 07:26:59 am »
I am still considering getting this scope. Is is still "upgrade-able"?  It is really tempting for €400.

Cheers.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2131 on: May 07, 2016, 07:33:07 am »
I am still considering getting this scope. Is is still "upgrade-able"?  It is really tempting for €400.

Cheers.

Yes, it is still upgradeable.

Offline kelroy

« Reply #2132 on: May 07, 2016, 09:55:56 am »
Guys any new fw for the osciloscope?.

Actually i am on the 04.03.sp2

Regards, kelroy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:02:15 am by kelroy »

Offline nrxnrx

• Supporter
« Reply #2133 on: May 07, 2016, 12:27:03 pm »
Guys any new fw for the osciloscope?.

I check http://int.rigol.com/Product/Index/4 every few days.
There's a download link for (what I assume is the latest) firmware on the right sidebar and it still points to 00.04.03.02.03 (4.03SP2).

No idea if they actually update it in a timely manner. The site seems to run on a Z80 and some pigeons.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2134 on: May 08, 2016, 02:14:53 am »
Depends what you mean by timely. They don't often fix things, so it's not something that you need to check on a regular basis. The most recent firmware added some bugs.

I believe the firmware I'm running is about two versions behind the latest and seems to be one of the most responsive. Unless you're impacted by a specific problem that is fixed by a newer firmware, there's no need to update.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2135 on: May 08, 2016, 06:44:09 am »
Anyone knows when they had changed the Boot Version to "0.0.1.4"?
And why the change was necessary?
(Is the new Boot Version included in the software update?)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:45:55 am by ProBang2 »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2136 on: May 08, 2016, 07:06:16 am »
1. No, I don't. Maybe someone else does. When did you buy your scope?
2. I don't know. Does your scope still have all the bugs we have been discussing?
3. No, I don't think so. I don't think it's possible to upgrade the Boot Version with the "firmware update".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 07:08:23 am by alsetalokin4017 »

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2137 on: May 08, 2016, 07:46:00 am »
The build date is on the screenshot. 9/11 2015. Bought on 4/29 2016, delivered one day later.
2. I don't know. Does your scope still have all the bugs we have been discussing?
Not sure which bugs are included in the last software version. Even not sure if my equipment is sufficient to detect them. At least I can confirm the "Pluses" and their counting error.
3. No, I don't think so. I don't think it's possible to upgrade the Boot Version with the "firmware update".
Disappointing.  So you still have version 1.2 or 1.3 on your scope?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2138 on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:30 am »
The build date is on the screenshot. 9/11 2015. Bought on 4/29 2016, delivered one day later.
Yes, the "build date" is the date of the firmware update you have. You bought your scope quite recently so the scope itself was probably built much more recently than September of 2015, hence it has the 0.0.1.4 Boot Version.
Not sure which bugs are included in the last software version. Even not sure if my equipment is sufficient to detect them. At least I can confirm the "Pluses" and their counting error.
Well, there are several that you could check for, that have been discussed in various places. You could check for slow response to controls like the Vertical positioning control. You could see if you get RMS voltage reading measurements on channels with no actual inputs and even ground-coupled. You could check for the Measurements Freeze bug that causes all measurements to stop updating after some random time when Math is in use (using the Statistic "on" and Stat.Sel. "difference" settings to keep track of the number of updates before they stop). You could check for the Math horizontal offset/scaling error at 500 ns/div when in Average acquire mode and some two-channel Math function is being used. These are probably the most easily checked bugs that plague us.
Disappointing.  So you still have version 1.2 or 1.3 on your scope?
Yes, the unit I have now is the one Rigol sent me after the Freeze Bug issue that affects scopes with Boot Version 0.0.1.2. It came to me with Boot Version 0.0.1.3 installed but the previous "software" version. I installed the 00.04.03.02.03 version myself, which did not update any Boot Version. I think if Rigol could have simply updated my old scope's Boot Version, they would have done it rather than sending me a whole new scope. I asked them several times about updating the Boot Version in the old scope with 0.0.1.2 and never got a real answer, so I think it can't be done. Some people with really early software versions reported that a "firmware" update did update their Boot Version, but that a long time ago and I don't think it is possible any more, for some reason only Rigol knows.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2139 on: May 08, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »

Perhaps the best hint for the real build date is the date of calibration: 03/08 2016.

Not updating all parts of the software (incl. Boot Loader) to the current version looks somehow simply strange.   :o
(Every silly PC is able to perform a BIOS-Update...)

Regarding the bugs:
I have transformed your text into the following checklist (hoping I got it right):

1. Slow response to controls like the Vertical positioning control.
2. Occuring RMS voltage reading measurements on channels with no actual inputs and even ground-coupled.
3. Measurements Freeze bug that causes all measurements to stop updating after some random time when Math is in use.
(Using the Statistic "on" and Stat.Sel. "difference" settings to keep track of the number of updates before they stop).
4. Math horizontal offset/scaling error at 500 ns/div when in Average acquire mode and some two-channel Math function is being used.

It is difficult for me to answer the first point. I don´t know, how the scope has responsed with former software versions.  :-//
The other bugs will be checked. After this "I´ll be back" and report.

(To be honest: I doubt that the Boot Version 0.0.1.4 had solved a single one of the known bugs.)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #2140 on: May 08, 2016, 02:19:31 pm »
I agree with no. 1: the responsiveness of the vertical offset is horrendously bad...

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2141 on: May 08, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »
I agree with no. 1: the responsiveness of the vertical offset is horrendously bad...

So... what Boot Version do you have?

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2142 on: May 08, 2016, 03:34:28 pm »
I will check when I get home.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2143 on: May 08, 2016, 03:40:54 pm »
Just fyi:

Illustration of the Measurements Fail bug:

Yes, Rigol has been notified and they (Rigol USA) were able to reproduce this on their test scopes right away.

Screenshot below shows 5 bugs at once:
-"Pluses" spelling error
-Pulses miscounted
-RMS measurement on a grounded channel with no input at all
-Horizontal Math error at 500 ns/div
-All Measurements frozen, requires power-cycling reboot to get them started responding again

Don't get me wrong, it's a great scope, easy to use and value-packed. But it is important for users to be aware of the bugs, and I think that talking about them is one way to get Rigol to pay attention and get working on fixing them.

The following users thanked this post: Marcos

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2144 on: May 08, 2016, 05:06:36 pm »
First things first: I can´t duplicate every bug. Perhaps wrong settings?

I can confirm bug #2 (wrong RMS value and ghost readings on other channels).
Settings: Channel 1 with probe test signal (1kHz squarewave, 3V, 50% duty-cycle), all other channels disconnected and coupled to ground.

I can´t confirm bug#3 (freezing measurements).
Settings: Same as before, additional math function "FFT", Statistic "On" and Stat.Sel. "difference".
After more then 3 hours it was still updating...

I can´t confirm bug#4 (horizontal offset/scaling error).
Settings: Channels 1 and 2 are connected with probe test signal. Channels 3 and 4 not active.
Horizontal: 500ns/div. Acquiring mode: Average. Math function "A+B".
Screen seems reasonable...

Should I test with other settings? Or with longer duration?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:09:25 pm by ProBang2 »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2145 on: May 08, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
Perhaps the later Boot Version has fixed the Measurements Fail bug. If so, that's great!  But please try again with some other Math function, like a 2-channel addition or multiplication. If you have the bug the failure time seems completely random, sometimes it will fail in just a few iterations, sometimes much longer. But three hours is pretty long, maybe it's fixed, or maybe it doesn't fail with FFT selected in Math. Anyhow, please try again if you have time.

The Math 500 ns/div horizontal offset/scale bug will show up better, if you have it, if you use signals that have several full cycles displayed on the screen. Also your math is adding Ch1 to itself, not to Ch2. I don't know if that makes any difference, but please try an actual 2-channel Math function anyhow. (You have to select the Source channels for A and B in the Math menu.)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2146 on: May 08, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »

So... what Boot Version do you have?

OK,  I've checked and I don't have boot version displayed. Only software version (04.03.SP2)  and board version (0.1.1).

Any way to show toe rest of the data?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2147 on: May 08, 2016, 10:50:48 pm »
In the Trigger section of the scope, press the following buttons in quick succession: Menu, Menu, Force, Menu

Then, go back to the System Info screen by pressing Utility, System, System Info.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2148 on: May 09, 2016, 03:52:45 am »
Perhaps the later Boot Version has fixed the Measurements Fail bug. If so, that's great!  But please try again with some other Math function, like a 2-channel addition or multiplication. If you have the bug the failure time seems completely random, sometimes it will fail in just a few iterations, sometimes much longer. But three hours is pretty long, maybe it's fixed, or maybe it doesn't fail with FFT selected in Math. Anyhow, please try again if you have time.
You can bet on it: I will do this.

The Math 500 ns/div horizontal offset/scale bug will show up better, if you have it, if you use signals that have several full cycles displayed on the screen.

I get a signal generator in a few days. A much better requirement for testing.

Also your math is adding Ch1 to itself, not to Ch2.
:wtf:  :palm:  |O I thought, I had done the right settings? Yeah! Murphy gets me. Everytime...

I don't know if that makes any difference,

In the previous case (Math A+B, SourceB coupled to channel2): It makes not.

but please try an actual 2-channel Math function anyhow.

For sure. But I am waiting until the FG arrives, to do more sophisticated tests. I will report then.

(You have to select the Source channels for A and B in the Math menu.)
:palm:  |O  |O  |O

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2149 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:47 am »
Boot version 0.0.1.2
Build date Sep-11-2015 (lol @ that date)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf