Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2051762 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2200 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »
Some of what I've read seem to be related to obscure settings.

Yes. Some of them seem to be obscure batches of hardware that most people will never own.

Other's I'm not sure about, mostly because I do not have the scope or anything similar that I can experiment with.

The DS1054Z is a very useful device at an unbelievable price. You're not doing yourself any favors by reading these "bug" threads. You have to work hard to get most of the bugs to appear. Some people take several attempts to get the settings just right (see previous page). In normal use you'll never see them (insert somebody saying "those settings are normal for me")

If a function is really, really important to you then make sure it's not on the list.

Otherwise ... just get one. You certainly won't regret it.

(and the next firmware update might even fix the few remaining bugs being debated here)

I read this entire thread about a month ago and decided to just ignore the entire sequence.  I bought the scope and it works for me.

It reminds me of the old joke:  Put 2 Marines in a room with two ball bearings.  Come back in ten minutes and one will be lost and other broken.

Just ignore this thread and buy the scope.  It'll work fine!

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: May 13, 2016, 03:18:37 pm »
I have ultrascope for the ds1000e series.

But now I am trying to get ultrascope for the ds1000z series working and it says its installed and I can't find it on my computer....

I have ultrasigma do I open that to find the ultrascope?

I tried removing the old ultrascope to see if that would help with no luck.

It does not tell me where the file folder is for the installed untrascope and my computer search feature can not find it.

Using windows 7   anyone else have this problem?   I just use it for looking at data (waveforms) later on a flash drive.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2202 on: May 13, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »
Hello.

Start the DS1054Z.
Start Ultra Sigma.

In the Ultra Sigma window appears the scope.
Now klick with the right mousebutton on this entry.

Should show the following:

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: May 13, 2016, 07:54:24 pm »
Ok thanks but I want to be able to look at saved files from my flash drive without hooking my scope up to my computer  will this allow that?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: May 14, 2016, 06:40:08 am »
Ok thanks but I want to be able to look at saved files from my flash drive without hooking my scope up to my computer  will this allow that?

You don't need ultrascope for that. Just plug the flash drive into your computer, there's the files.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2205 on: May 14, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »
Some of what I've read seem to be related to obscure settings.

Yes. Some of them seem to be obscure batches of hardware that most people will never own.

Other's I'm not sure about, mostly because I do not have the scope or anything similar that I can experiment with.

The DS1054Z is a very useful device at an unbelievable price. You're not doing yourself any favors by reading these "bug" threads. You have to work hard to get most of the bugs to appear. Some people take several attempts to get the settings just right (see previous page). In normal use you'll never see them (insert somebody saying "those settings are normal for me")

Not true. Every bug I've reported has occurred in my normal use of the scope's ordinary functions.  I've even presented an ordinary setup where 5 bugs are present simultaneously.

Do you consider it using "obscure settings"  or difficult to achieve settings, to have _all_ Measurements stop working when a Math function is in use? I sure don't.

If a function is really, really important to you then make sure it's not on the list.

How is a person supposed to do that, if "you're not doing yourself any favors by reading thes "bug" threads"? Really, make up your mind. Either the bug threads are useful, or they aren't (then why are you reading them?)

Otherwise ... just get one. You certainly won't regret it.

(and the next firmware update might even fix the few remaining bugs being debated here)

Let's hope so, and that it does it without introducing several _new_ bugs like the last firmware update did.

I'll ask you again, Fungus: Do you actually own a Rigol DS1054z scope? What do you use it for? Can you post some representative screenshots from your own routine use of the scope.... if you have one?

And no... I certainly don't regret my choice of the DS1054z... after all, I'm looking at the _third_ physical unit sitting on my workbench now.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:36:46 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: Marcos

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: May 14, 2016, 02:35:16 pm »

You don't need ultrascope for that. Just plug the flash drive into your computer, there's the files.

Lol ok...  But my computer does not know how to open them......

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2207 on: May 14, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »
Just plug the flash drive into your computer, there's the files.

OK, so you know what to do next. Find out!

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: May 15, 2016, 06:08:50 am »
Is this a bug?
i plug in an usb stick, press print. file saved (quick_screenshot_X. i plug out and no it was not saved.
i plug it in again, press print (a file with the same number as before: quick_screenshot_x). press print again, file saved (quick_screenshot_X+1) but when i plug the memory in and look at the files i only see quick_screenshot_x, the last file is never saved.

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #2209 on: May 15, 2016, 06:42:43 am »

That's why I posted here.....   I let my computer search with no luck.  I downloaded ultrascope for 1104Z and no luck and I have searched online with no luck.....

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2210 on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:20 am »
Arlo,

The scope can save several different kinds of files. Which kind are you saving and trying to view on the computer?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2211 on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:57 am »
That's why I posted here.....   I let my computer search with no luck.  I downloaded ultrascope for 1104Z and no luck and I have searched online with no luck.....

It's not completely clear to me what you want to achive. Do you want to visualize saved waveforms on your pc?
In that case use Scilab, Octave or EDFbrowser. They are all free.

http://www.scilab.org/

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

http://www.teuniz.net/edfbrowser/

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2212 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:57 am »
That's why I posted here..... 

But... you didn't tell us what sort of file you're looking at and trying to open.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2213 on: May 15, 2016, 11:14:18 am »
But... you didn't tell us what sort of file you're looking at and trying to open.
And didn't tell either what type of computer is being used that operation.

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #2214 on: May 15, 2016, 03:55:42 pm »
That's why I posted here..... 

.wfm  files.   I was using ultra scope to look at them with my ds2052e but now I can't do that.    I save them on my flash drive at my shop then bring them home and if I have any questions about the data I can open it on my laptop or desktop at home which are both running windows 7.   Sorry I thought I posted all of this the first time I asked about it.   

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2215 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies and video links (which I will watch presently).

I have a question again about decoding and recording a signal. There is 12M memory. About how long in seconds of a typical 115kbps serial comm could it record, and then would it be able to decode any segment later, once positioned in the display? Could this saved signal be transferred in some way to a computer, perhaps as CSV or other data format, and then analyzed on a PC with other software (such as Rigol's or other)?

I think I am weakening and desire just to have will overcome.  :-DD

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2216 on: May 17, 2016, 06:33:42 am »
There is 12M memory.

Nope, there's 24Mpts. You just need to "activate" it.

About how long in seconds of a typical 115kbps serial comm could it record, and then would it be able to decode any segment later, once positioned in the display?

Depends on the selected timebase & samplerate. With only one channel switched on, you can set the timebase to 1 sec/div.
Samplerate will be 2MSa/s which is acceptable for 115K2bps and you can "record" 12 seconds.

There's a caveat. When you zoom into the signal for decoding, the bit stream must be positioned horizontally in such a way
that the first visible bit on the screen is a startbit. If not, decoding will be incorrect.

Could this saved signal be transferred in some way to a computer, perhaps as CSV or other data format, and then analyzed on a PC with other software (such as Rigol's or other)?

Yes.

Offline metzjtm

• Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: May 30, 2016, 05:16:09 am »
Anyone knows when they had changed the Boot Version to "0.0.1.4"?
And why the change was necessary?
(Is the new Boot Version included in the software update?)

I got mine on 4/22/2016 it is 0.0.1.4 boot  and Firmware 0.2.3.11 also CPLD Ver. 1.1 and board 0.1.1. I have not been able to do the upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:10:28 pm by metzjtm »

Offline metzjtm

• Contributor
« Reply #2218 on: May 30, 2016, 05:28:56 am »
I have not been successful with the 1054Z speed upgrade. Invalid key err. I hope I am missing something. It's just so straight forward.   

edit: I think I'll try telnet from a fedora 23 box. Just have to find the process in the manual. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:32:12 am by metzjtm »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2219 on: May 30, 2016, 05:41:19 am »
I have not been successful with the 1054Z speed upgrade. Invalid key err. I hope I am missing something. It's just so straight forward.   

edit: I think I'll try telnet from a fedora 23 box. Just have to find the process in the manual. Wish me luck.

Check your PMs. And don't keep trying an invalid key, you'll get locked out for 12 hours of runtime if you fail three times.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:19 am »

@ metzjtm

Please modify your post to do the quote correct.

Indeed I had no problem to hack the scope (Trigger, Memory, Bandwidth) with the generated key from the known website.

The following users thanked this post: metzjtm

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2221 on: May 30, 2016, 06:31:56 am »
If you have correctly set up your IP connection to your LAN using DHCP you should see a screen something like this, in Utility>IO Setting>LAN Conf.

Then you can use your telnet application to talk to the scope on port 5555:

telnet [IP Address] 5555

and telnet should tell you it's connected. Check by asking for the device ID:

*IDN?

The scope should reply with its model, SN and software version.

Then you can send SCPI commands to install/remove Options, control the scope remotely, etc. The SCPI commands are found in the Programming Guide:
http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/ProgrammingGuide/MSO1000Z_DS1000Z_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

The following users thanked this post: ebclr, metzjtm

Offline metzjtm

• Contributor
« Reply #2222 on: May 30, 2016, 07:35:45 am »

@ metzjtm

Please modify your post to do the quote correct.

Indeed I had no problem to hack the scope (Trigger, Memory, Bandwidth) with the generated key from the known website.

ProBang2 I only have 3 post. I can not find the one with the offending problem. I am happy to correct the problem if I can find it. The Jim Bean may have gotten in my eye. Sorry

Thank You alsetalokin4017 for you help with the Rigol DS1054. Looks like we now know the upgrade will work with the 1.4 boot and 4.3.2.3 software via telnet.

OK ProBang2 I think I found what you mean. fixed. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:20:41 pm by metzjtm »

Offline freebil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2223 on: June 02, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »
Hello. I am interested in buying an oscilloscope and I would like to know some things.

1) For ds1054z, what it shows if I put a sine wave 70Mhz? Is it showing something different than if the ds1054z is hacked to 100Mhz?
2) For hacked ds1054z, is 100Mhz the absolute limit? What it shows for 110Mhz signals?

Thanks.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2224 on: June 02, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »
Hello. I am interested in buying an oscilloscope and I would like to know some things.

1) For ds1054z, what it shows if I put a sine wave 70Mhz? Is it showing something different than if the ds1054z is hacked to 100Mhz?

It still shows a sine wave, it's just lower in amplitude.

2) For hacked ds1054z, is 100Mhz the absolute limit? What it shows for 110Mhz signals?

Still shows signals way above 110 MHz, they are simply attenuated. 100 MHz is just the -3 dB point.

Edit: I'll post a screen shot to this effect later ...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:10:05 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf