Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2042434 times)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2275 on: June 12, 2016, 06:51:53 am »
However, I cannot get/find that zip or GEL file from the Rigol site… they only offer the ‘most recent’ firmware.  Does anyone know where I can d/l the “00.04.03.SP1” update file?

Here it is:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

No, I believe that's not what FlyIt was looking for. He wanted the 4.3.SP1 firmware, i.e. the one that came out before the most recent (and somewhat sluggish) SP2. What you linked to is the current SP2 firmware, isn't it?

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2276 on: June 12, 2016, 07:24:13 am »
However, I cannot get/find that zip or GEL file from the Rigol site… they only offer the ‘most recent’ firmware.  Does anyone know where I can d/l the “00.04.03.SP1” update file?

Here it is:
http://beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/1579/p/p-0019/t/page/fm/0

No, I believe that's not what FlyIt was looking for. He wanted the 4.3.SP1 firmware, i.e. the one that came out before the most recent (and somewhat sluggish) SP2. What you linked to is the current SP2 firmware, isn't it?

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, after an update they replace the firmware but not the url.
So, the url's are the same for the old and the new firmware which means you can't download the old firmware anymore.
At least not from Rigol.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2277 on: June 12, 2016, 08:12:36 am »
He wanted the 4.3.SP1 firmware, i.e. the one that came out before the most recent
Check:
http://gotroot.ca/rigol/
For old Firmware
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline smithnerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2278 on: June 12, 2016, 05:38:50 pm »
Checksums from an archive of firmware updates might be useful to somebody:

As delivered/unpacked from the ZIP files provided by beyondmeasure.rigoltech.com, and cross-checked against the RAR file versions from int.rigol.com:

Code: [Select]
~/Downloads/rigol$ find . -name "*.GEL" | xargs md5sum

45520cfa7a38c37b6a2399877fee88d1  ./DS1000Z(ARM)Update_00.04.02.04.07/DS1000ZUpdate.GEL
141b0f9588f58da44409e3ad07d29d73  ./DS1000ZUpdate_00.04.03.00.01/DS1000ZUpdate.GEL
37de059757e7b54b1091cb1765dd33ed  ./DS1000Z(ARM)Update_00.04.03.01.05/DS1000ZUpdate.GEL
7b6d1316f6e84622ce4520be8796a3f2  ./DS1000Z(ARM)Update_00.04.03.02.03/DS1000ZUpdate.GEL

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2279 on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:44 pm »
FlyIt received SP1 from several members here. Thanks to all who helped out.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline FlyIt!

• Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: June 13, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »
Several people sent me the SP1 update, which I was then able to compare against one another (and subsequently the checksums were posted).

Thanks everyone!

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2281 on: June 13, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »
Several people sent me the SP1 update, which I was then able to compare against one another (and subsequently the checksums were posted).

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

Can you upload SP1 fw somewhere for me too?
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline FlyIt!

• Contributor
« Reply #2282 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:03 pm »
Quote from: Iwanushka

Per Teneyes:
Quote from: Teneyes
Check:
For old Firmware.

The file you want is "DS1000Z-04_03_01_05.7z"
... and the MD5 checksum (should you want to check it) is "37de059757e7b54b1091cb1765dd33ed"

Cheers!

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2283 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:51 pm »
Quote from: Iwanushka

Per Teneyes:
Quote from: Teneyes
Check:
For old Firmware.

The file you want is "DS1000Z-04_03_01_05.7z"
... and the MD5 checksum (should you want to check it) is "37de059757e7b54b1091cb1765dd33ed"

Cheers!

Thank You!
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline Hagrid

• Contributor
« Reply #2284 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »
Hello, this thread might be a bit old, but I am considering to buy a ds1054z and guess this is the right place to ask a question.
There has been a lot of posts about bugs and updates and different firmwares and boot verions.
I am quite lost now because I don't know if I associate the right bugs with the right firmwares and boot versions.

First of all I'd like to ask if Rigol ships the ds1054z with the latest firmware and boot version to their distributors.
I guess this would make sense in some way. So I guess the scopes now bought have the boot version 0.1.3 and
the firmware 00.04.03.02.03 (04.03.SP2 shown on the scope). Those are the latest right?
What bugs are to be expected in this case?

I know about the math bug (horizontal offset) which will only occur in the 500ns/div setting right?
Does the scope freezes when operated? I have read about different types of freezing. There are some bugs where
the whole scope freezes or just measurements. What kinds of bugs are here to expect?

Is there a summary of those bugs relatet to the firmware and boot version?
This would help me out so much.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2285 on: June 18, 2016, 01:13:53 pm »
First of all I'd like to ask if Rigol ships the ds1054z with the latest firmware and boot version to their distributors.
I guess this would make sense in some way. So I guess the scopes now bought have the boot version 0.1.3 and
the firmware 00.04.03.02.03 (04.03.SP2 shown on the scope). Those are the latest right?
Broken Vrms measurement. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds1054z-issue/

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2286 on: June 18, 2016, 02:20:51 pm »
So I guess the scopes now bought have the boot version 0.1.3 and
I think there is a boot version 0.1.4, but the latest firmware is indeed 00.04.03.02.03 as far as I know.
Slow response to controls, especially vertical position, along with some others. But to be fair the SP2 firmware does fix some previously annoying bugs. It's too bad that it doesn't fix all the old bugs, and it introduces several new ones. The failure of all measurements after a random time when Math is in use is particularly annoying to me.

5 bugs at once:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline ivanjh

• Supporter
« Reply #2287 on: June 20, 2016, 04:05:46 am »
I guess this would make sense in some way. So I guess the scopes now bought have the boot version 0.1.3 an
I just saw a DS1054Z from an Australian distributor (today), and it's:
Software: 00.04.03.02.03
Board: 0.1.4
Boot: 0.0.1.4
Firmware: 0.2.3.11
CPLD: 1.1
Build Date: Sep 11 2015
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:08:14 am by ivanjh »

Offline Hagrid

• Contributor
« Reply #2288 on: June 20, 2016, 04:23:16 pm »
I asked a distributor in Germany who said that the scope comes with
boot version: 0.0.1.4
firmware: 00.04.03

So is the Firmware the SP1 version? Does anybody know the bugy which still occur on 0.0.1.4 AND (00.04.03 OR 00.04.03.02.03)?
They send me a link to get the latest firmware, but I have read that the old was actually a better trade off. Is tis true?

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:22 pm »
Software: 00.04.03.02.03
Board: 0.1.4
Boot: 0.0.1.4
Firmware: 0.2.3.11
CPLD: 1.1
Build Date: Sep 11 2015
How do you show all the data on the system info menu? i can't find how

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2290 on: June 20, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »
I asked a distributor in Germany who said that the scope comes with
boot version: 0.0.1.4
firmware: 00.04.03

So is the Firmware the SP1 version?

That firmware version number is inconclusive. The distributor needs to give you the full version number.

00.04.03.01.05 = SP1
00.04.03.02.03 = SP2

The part that was left out differentiates between SP1 and SP2.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2291 on: June 20, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »
How do you show all the data on the system info menu? i can't find how

It's a secret. ;D Reveal secret info

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2292 on: June 20, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
5 bugs at once:

These are the only known bugs left in the current FW?

1. Measurement freeze - I have not seen this. Is there a robust way to facilitate the issue or some precondition?
2. Math offset - check, with 500 ns period and trace averaging enabled; otherwise, OK.
3. RMS measurement incorrect - check, with multiple channels on. I think Ch1 is always correct, and all other channels are correct individually. Someone mentioned something like SW cross-talk as possible cause?
4. Pluses spelling - is this feature entirely new in the latest FW version? That's the way it seems from the release notes.
5. Pulses miscounted - check, I forget if this is related to 500 ns rate or if there are any preconditions. Again, a new feature?

Thanks!

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2293 on: June 21, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
5 bugs at once:

1. Measurement freeze - I have not seen this. Is there a robust way to facilitate the issue or some precondition?
2. Math offset - check, with 500 ns period and trace averaging enabled; otherwise, OK.
3. RMS measurement incorrect - check, with multiple channels on. I think Ch1 is always correct, and all other channels are correct individually. Someone mentioned something like SW cross-talk as possible cause?
4. Pluses spelling - is this feature entirely new in the latest FW version? That's the way it seems from the release notes.
5. Pulses miscounted - check, I forget if this is related to 500 ns rate or if there are any preconditions. Again, a new feature?

Thanks!
No, these aren't the only bugs left.

It's not easy to display the slow control response in a still image, but many people who have loaded the SP2 firmware have noticed this.

It also can take a _long_ time to save a screen image to a USB stick, especially if the scope is not Stopped before saving. The more channels and functions in use, the longer it can take to save the image (but this does not seem to be the case when using DSRemote over a LAN connection to save a screenshot.)

Something that really is annoying to me is that the FFT function display resets the Center Frequency, Hz/Div,  etc. when switching Mode from Memory to Trace (or the other way around.) The new firmware added the Memory option to the FFT which is nice, but they forgot to have it keep its display settings when switching back and forth between Memory and Trace.

Sometimes the Hardware Frequency Counter delivers strange results like double or half actual frequency, depending on Trigger Level setting, for certain waveforms where it really shouldn't have any trouble.

I don't know if CH1 RMS is "always correct" when other channels without inputs are showing large RMS values.  I need to research this bug further.

To reproduce the Measurements failing, use two channels and activate a Math trace, like A+B etc. Then turn on some measurements. To keep track of how many updates happen before they stop working, select the Statistics ON and in Stat. Sel. choose "Difference" which will show the update count. I have seen the measurements stop in just a few updates, or sometimes it takes thousands of updates; as far as I can tell the time is completely random.  Yes, I reported this bug to Rigol USA back when I first encountered it and they were immediately able to reproduce it on their test scopes, so they know it's really a bug, not just in my unit. Once the displayed Measurements stop updating, then _all_ H or V measurements no longer work and the only way to get them working again is to power-cycle the instrument.  The "workaround" which is hardly satisfactory is to keep the Math trace set up but turned OFF except for brief periods when you want to look at it. Still, this doesn't always work and if you're unlucky the Measurements will freeze during the time you have the Math trace turned On.

Yes, the "Pluses" spelling error and indeed the Pulse and Edge counters came along with the latest firmware. No, the miscounting doesn't seem to be related to the 500 ns horizontal rate and doesn't always happen. 

There may be more bugs, or "features", that I've not listed or encountered yet.

My scope has Boot Version 0.0.1.3 and I see that current scopes are being shipped with a Boot Version 0.0.1.4. I don't know whether this change in Boot Version affects any of these bugs, or if the Boot Version actually does anything besides starting up the instrument. Somehow I think that it does have some additional effects but I can't prove it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:49:44 pm by alsetalokin4017 »

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: June 21, 2016, 02:55:22 pm »
i'll add one to the mix: internal memory or any external usb drive, the last screenshot is not saved.
I press print once: it stops and save the screenshot, when i check there is no screenshot.
I try to save two screenshots in a row: only the first is saved
and so on.
Though it might only be me because i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else

(i don't know which version of the board/boot etc i've got, hence why i've asked but i suppose it's the latest since i ordered mine in march and the supplier just went out of stock and i had to wait a couple of weeks. i'll check in the weekend when i get back home )
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:58:17 pm by JPortici »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2295 on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:07 pm »
5 bugs at once:

Thanks!
No, these aren't the only bugs left.

It's not easy to display the slow control response in a still image, but many people who have loaded the SP2 firmware have noticed this.

It also can take a _long_ time to save a screen image to a USB stick, especially if the scope is not Stopped before saving. The more channels and functions in use, the longer it can take to save the image (but this does not seem to be the case when using DSRemote over a LAN connection to save a screenshot.)

Something that really is annoying to me is that the FFT function display resets the Center Frequency, Hz/Div,  etc. when switching Mode from Memory to Trace (or the other way around.) The new firmware added the Memory option to the FFT which is nice, but they forgot to have it keep its display settings when switching back and forth between Memory and Trace.

Sometimes the Hardware Frequency Counter delivers strange results like double or half actual frequency, depending on Trigger Level setting, for certain waveforms where it really shouldn't have any trouble.

I don't know if CH1 RMS is "always correct" when other channels without inputs are showing large RMS values.  I need to research this bug further.

To reproduce the Measurements failing, use two channels and activate a Math trace, like A+B etc. Then turn on some measurements. To keep track of how many updates happen before they stop working, select the Statistics ON and in Stat. Sel. choose "Difference" which will show the update count. I have seen the measurements stop in just a few updates, or sometimes it takes thousands of updates; as far as I can tell the time is completely random.  Yes, I reported this bug to Rigol USA back when I first encountered it and they were immediately able to reproduce it on their test scopes, so they know it's really a bug, not just in my unit. Once the displayed Measurements stop updating, then _all_ H or V measurements no longer work and the only way to get them working again is to power-cycle the instrument.  The "workaround" which is hardly satisfactory is to keep the Math trace set up but turned OFF except for brief periods when you want to look at it. Still, this doesn't always work and if you're unlucky the Measurements will freeze during the time you have the Math trace turned On.

Yes, the "Pluses" spelling error and indeed the Pulse and Edge counters came along with the latest firmware. No, the miscounting doesn't seem to be related to the 500 ns horizontal rate and doesn't always happen. 

There may be more bugs, or "features", that I've not listed or encountered yet.

My scope has Boot Version 0.0.1.3 and I see that current scopes are being shipped with a Boot Version 0.0.1.4. I don't know whether this change in Boot Version affects any of these bugs, or if the Boot Version actually does anything besides starting up the instrument. Somehow I think that it does have some additional effects but I can't prove it.

What I don't understand is why you still have the scope.  It's only $400, you could offload it for $300 and move on to something much better.  Why keep fighting the same Math problems?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2296 on: June 21, 2016, 03:20:33 pm »
What I don't understand is why you still have the scope.  It's only $400, you could offload it for $300 and move on to something much better.  Why keep fighting the same Math problems?

Exaggerating the DS1054Z problems in EEVBLOG forums is his hobby.

Selling the scope would leave him with nothing to do, where's the fun in that?

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2297 on: June 21, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Isn't Rigol America following the Rigol threads on this forum?

Why don't they step in and get their act together?

It should be very straightforward to fix the remaining bugs with the help of Rigol America.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: June 21, 2016, 03:23:22 pm »
i'll add one to the mix: internal memory or any external usb drive, the last screenshot is not saved.
I press print once: it stops and save the screenshot, when i check there is no screenshot.

Never seen that (and it's something I'd notice).

Though it might only be me

That would make no sense either. What sort of 'external USB drive' are you using?

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2299 on: June 21, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »
There are no exaggerations in my bug reports. And you really should complain to whomever it is who is making you read them, instead of trolling me with your _inaccurate statements_ about the scope itself and your outright misrepresentations of what I do.

Re the Measurements Failures: Perhaps you need to have three channels turned on, in addition to a Math trace. Here's an example: Measurements frozen after 2,629 updates, then the input signal's frequency is changed, to show that the Measurements are indeed frozen. Note that the Hardware Frequency Counter is correct but the Measurements displayed have failed to update to the new input frequency. You can confirm this yourself, Fungus ... that is... if you are indeed able to read a trace using just the graticule markings and timebase settings.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf