Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2051595 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2375 on: June 29, 2016, 04:19:03 am »
There has been third-party information that a firmware update is coming in a month or so.

Oh, dear. That's bad news for certain forum members...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2376 on: June 29, 2016, 04:34:30 am »
Maybe, but I'm not saying anything until it arrives. Might be better, could be worse. :o ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2377 on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »
Let's hope they at least give the new firmware an honest try (and have the spellings reviewed by native speakers of each available language) before they release it into the wild.

(I suppose the ability to roll back to earlier versions is too much to ask for.)    |O
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2378 on: June 29, 2016, 05:11:11 pm »
Yeah, being able to roll back would remove much of the trepidation about installing new firmware. Without being able to roll back and given Rigol's track record on QA thus far, I will not install new firmware until it's been in the wild for a while. It's not like I have a bunch of these lying around where I can sacrifice one "for science".

This may be an oscilloscope in function, but it's fundamentally a computer running software. Rigol would do well to take a page from the IT industry's playbook about how to produce, document, and deploy updates. At least they have release notes nowadays, though those could still be improved.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: June 29, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »
Let's hope they at least give the new firmware an honest try (and have the spellings reviewed by native speakers of each available language) before they release it into the wild.

Ill second that, you've really got you finger on the plus.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2380 on: June 29, 2016, 05:39:48 pm »
Rigol would do well to take a page from the IT industry's playbook about how to produce, document, and deploy updates.

Endless nag screens telling you to update to Rigol 10?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: June 29, 2016, 06:31:41 pm »
LOL! Microsoft is not a good example.

Side note: I've used Linux, OS X, and Windows for a long time. Of the three, Windows has been and continues to be the most irritating, infuriating, and productivity sapping platform.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2382 on: June 29, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »
LOL! Microsoft is not a good example.

Side note: I've used Linux, OS X, and Windows for a long time. Of the three, Windows has been and continues to be the most irritating, infuriating, and productivity sapping platform.
I "believe" you  :palm: typical enthusiast without any experience in professional sector.

The following users thanked this post: Wall-E

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: June 29, 2016, 08:50:16 pm »
That's OK, you don't have to believe me. My statement is about my own experiences, which were similar in professional and personal environments over the years. Your mileage may vary.

Offline thomastheo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2384 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »
There has been third-party information that a firmware update is coming in a month or so.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a bad thing? I just got mine today, and wondering to apply the 'upgrade' now or wait until new firmware comes out.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2385 on: June 29, 2016, 09:39:46 pm »
If you already have SP2 firmware on yours, you need do nothing. If you have an earlier firmware and don't require the fixes or features in newer versions of firmware, then you can continue using what you have. SP2 introduced some new bugs.

We do not have official information about all the changes in the upcoming firmware.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2386 on: June 29, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a bad thing? I just got mine today, and wondering to apply the 'upgrade' now or wait until new firmware comes out.

I think the tongue-in-cheek icon was missing in Fungus' post. Some forum members have been dwelling at length on the existence of certain software flaws in the DS1000Z scopes, the perceived lack of timely bugfix releases etc.. So these members might now need to look for something else to complain about.

Or maybe Rigol will provide them with that something, by introducing new flaws in the new release...  :P

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2387 on: June 29, 2016, 10:23:27 pm »
No one would be happier than I, to see all the previous flaws fixed, without the introduction of new ones, in some new firmware release.

Although I do find it amusing sometimes to see people saying stuff like "I never use that setting, so stop complaining that it doesn't work properly for you. After all, it's only 400 dollars."

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2388 on: June 29, 2016, 10:45:38 pm »
Although I do find it amusing sometimes to see people saying stuff like "I never use that setting, so stop complaining that it doesn't work properly for you. After all, it's only 400 dollars."

LOL - I'd like to ask people - at what price, exactly, is everything on an oscilloscope supposed to work properly, if not at $400? 

$425 ...
$495
$517 ...

:popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:33 am »

LOL - I'd like to ask people - at what price, exactly, is everything on an oscilloscope supposed to work properly, if not at $400? 

$425 ...
$495
$517 ...

:popcorn:

$689.23, and not a cent less.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2390 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:06 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a bad thing?

Only for a handful of forum members. For everybody else it's good.

I just got mine today, and wondering to apply the 'upgrade' now or wait until new firmware comes out.

a) You might already have the latest version.

b) Firmware updates don't magically transform your oscilloscope and make everything better. If you're not blocked by a very specific problem that you know is fixed by updating the firmware then I say leave it alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Plus: There's always a very tiny (but non-zero) chance that an update will go horribly wrong and brick your scope.

Me? I haven't applied last November's update yet. I'd probably do it it I needed a better FFT, but I don't, so...  :-//

PS: It's really up to you. I'm old and wise but you just got a new 'scope and want it to be the best 'scope it can be(!)  I'd understand. :popcorn:

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #2391 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:15 am »
b) Firmware updates don't magically transform your oscilloscope and make everything better.
Yes they do:

:)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: June 30, 2016, 11:11:48 am »
Can you post a link to that firmware file? :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:11 am »
b) Firmware updates don't magically transform your oscilloscope and make everything better.
Yes they do:

I knew I was going to regret posting that.

I own a DSO quad (open source pocket oscilloscope). A different firmware can totally transform that, I think there's even a firmware to play Tetris on it.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2394 on: June 30, 2016, 01:05:09 pm »
(snip)

Me? I haven't applied last November's update yet. I'd probably do it it I needed a better FFT, but I don't, so...  :-//

(snip)

And yet, you seem to be critical of those of us who have applied that update and are not happy with the problems it introduces.

:palm:

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »

I wonder if the forum software has an option to ignore posts from user A, but only if they include a quote from user B (or vice versa).  ::) 
Following these constant quarrels is not fun anymore...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: June 30, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
And yet, you seem to be critical of those of us who have applied that update and are not happy with the problems it introduces.

I'm only critical of people of the people who invade every single thread that mentions the DS1054Z and try to turn it into their own personal Rigol-bashing thread.

eg. The "DS1054Z noise" thread that you recently invaded.

Offline oxigencult

« Reply #2397 on: July 05, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »
Hi to all.

I recently bought this model. it comes with  00.04.03.sp2 and board 0.1.1

my questions is if I should I apply the "patch" on the current firmware? and if I upgrade will I lose it? or upgrade firmware first if there is any new better firmware?

Thanks,

João

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:53 pm »
If by "patch" you mean the hacks for BW, Trigger, Decoders and Memory, it doesn't matter when you apply them.  Updating the firmware doesn't change the what has been applied.  If you do, be sure to use DSER for everything except the 500uV/Div which doesn't work.

Offline oxigencult

« Reply #2399 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:28 pm »
If by "patch" you mean the hacks for BW, Trigger, Decoders and Memory, it doesn't matter when you apply them.  Updating the firmware doesn't change the what has been applied.  If you do, be sure to use DSER for everything except the 500uV/Div which doesn't work.

Yes, I mean the hacks. I'm, aware of the DSER option.

Thanks for your reply,

João

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf