Author Topic: New Rigol DS7000  (Read 104025 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS7000
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2020, 11:05:44 pm »
You have to realise that everything is in constant motion. Including Rigol and thus my opinion. I'm always interested to learn about the use cases from someone who is doing serious work with an oscilloscope and what lead to buying a particular model. Those use cases may not match mine but they could match one of my customer's so if that comes up I have some good suggestions for them to consider.
You are very right about this.

Offline jealcuna

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2020, 01:37:41 am »
Hi, I am following the guide https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2682411/#msg2682411 to hack my MSO7014 oscilloscope, however I can not find the Bpatch file for my version 00.01.02.00.05 and model. Does anybody has the file or guide trough another solution?

Thank you very much for the effort in the forum. c:

Offline jealcuna

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2020, 01:45:17 am »
Thanks to tv84, here is an happy owner of an "upgraded" MSO7014!!!
500MHz and all the options enabled!

I have the latest FW downloaded from the Rigol main website:
https://rigol.com/supports/software-firmware-download_3.html  (Google Chrome is great to translate pages in Chinese!)

Can you guide me with the part of Bpatch file? Do you create this file? Have you update fw to 00.01.02.00.05 and hacked again?

Offline jealcuna

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2020, 03:53:30 am »
For those guys that want do play with their MSO/DS7000 here is a .GEL to temporarily open the SSH port.

I can add, that the updating message does not disappear, however, the ssh access is allowed. By restarting the oscilloscope ssh access is lost.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2020, 07:28:43 am »
I was just kidding again  ;)
I was a little surprised because If you search on the forum all the evil that Nico thinks about Rigol, there will be so much info that you are going to put down the eevblog forum, maybe the whole Internet and burn Australia once again.
You have to realise that everything is in constant motion. Including Rigol and thus my opinion. I'm always interested to learn about the use cases from someone who is doing serious work with an oscilloscope and what lead to buying a particular model. Those use cases may not match mine but they could match one of my customer's so if that comes up I have some good suggestions for them to consider.

It was exactly the meaning of the question I asked you by mp. I wanted the advice of someone more experienced than me, who has advanced uses and who could have had a favorite in this price range for every day use as I also need a scope at home in case of sick child.
I am fully aware that things are moving. The surprise comes from the fact that YOU may have just realized it.
I think I don't need to remind anyone that you spit tirelessly on Rigol, at every possible opportunity so Im not the one that have to "realize" something.

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:32 am »
Morning chaps

Yes indeed jemangedeslolos did suggest that having another 7000 in place of the LeCroy would be beneficial for me and providing an exchange service would be advantageous for both of us  :-DD

Tv84 the 'we' relates to myself, my son and good tech that is on the staff, we all use Rigol's kit every day, personally I use the 8000 which is a very good scope with features that would cost at least 14k alone on the Tek/Keysight/Lecroy and it does it very well, plus it sports a seriously deep memory.

We specialize in ultra quiet linear and switch mode power supplies, audio master clocks, RF harvesting and green energy projects. We also have the Lecroy for pure R&D it's more accurate and has serial data tools that are superb, however the 8000 is the workhorse and its decent for the outlay

We use a great many manufacturers equipment from Tek/R&S/Keysight/Keithley/Rigol/Kikusiu/Agilent/Tekbox/TTI/Picoscope/Flir/Fluke.

We have no association with any of the vendors other than we use all of the big four (and others) they all gave professional quality service and advice. I purchase what I feel is the right piece for the job in hand, the badge is not important, the product performance is.

Totally understand that other purchasers will have other individual requirements and their findings will be different from ours.

Hope that helps

Sighound36
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:31:15 am by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, jemangedeslolos, luma, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2020, 09:00:10 am »
jemangedeslolos,

I usually get when you are joking and I appreciate it, it gives me a much needed laugh.  I too joke around sometimes with obscure references to Monty Python (not a programming language) sketches (sorry not an Arduino project) that many won't understand.

Some people do seem afflicted by an inability to be teased or laugh at themselves.

nctnico, I fart in your general direction. (this is a joke, it is a reference to the Monty Python Holy Grail movie where King Arthur and his men, on the quest to find the Holy Grail, meet the French soldiers at a castle).
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: jemangedeslolos, 2N3055

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:21 am »
Hi, I am following the guide https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2682411/#msg2682411 to hack my MSO7014 oscilloscope, however I can not find the Bpatch file for my version 00.01.02.00.05 and model. Does anybody has the file or guide trough another solution?

jealcuna,

My telnet script is supposed to get hang and be temporary. Those are features, not bugs.

I could, but I won't, share a patch solution. I do that only when nobody else has been able to.

But there is enough information in the forum for anyone who has a real interest/need to easily make his own DS7000 patch, since the MSO5000 patching is almost the same but with different offsets.

These .GEL files are .tar files so any packer, like 7zip, can unpack/pack these .GEL files.

The following users thanked this post: BarsMonster

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2020, 10:19:12 am »
jemangedeslolos,

I usually get when you are joking and I appreciate it, it gives me a much needed laugh.  I too joke around sometimes with obscure references to Monty Python (not a programming language) sketches (sorry not an Arduino project) that many won't understand.

Some people do seem afflicted by an inability to be teased or laugh at themselves.

nctnico, I fart in your general direction. (this is a joke, it is a reference to the Monty Python Holy Grail movie where King Arthur and his men, on the quest to find the Holy Grail, meet the French soldiers at a castle).
I proclaim Rigol 7000 is not good enough. It doesn't have a shrubbery! Nii!! ^-^

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, Sighound36

Offline jealcuna

• Contributor
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2020, 09:27:42 pm »

jealcuna,

My telnet script is supposed to get hang and be temporary. Those are features, not bugs.

I could, but I won't, share a patch solution. I do that only when nobody else has been able to.

But there is enough information in the forum for anyone who has a real interest/need to easily make his own DS7000 patch, since the MSO5000 patching is almost the same but with different offsets.

These .GEL files are .tar files so any packer, like 7zip, can unpack/pack these .GEL files.

You totally misunderstand me, I am not saying that the behavior of telnet script is a bug. I am just clarifying the expected behavior if any other user want to check the script.

Anyway, I was requesting help, because yes, I am lost, and does not mean that I am not interested in make my patch. If you do not want to help, it is ok, but not put words in my mouth and make a judgement without put in the place of others.

Thank you very much.

Offline Leon23

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2020, 07:59:02 pm »
Did you manage to unlock your 7014?  :o

Offline jealcuna

• Contributor
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2020, 08:40:16 pm »
Did you manage to unlock your 7014?  :o

Almost, hahaha. Well I could disassemble appentry file and I check the offset suggested by mabl in mso5k thread, and it has the same instruction. However I am not sure if the complete behavior is the same. I can not assume that mso5k and mso7k with different fw versions has the same behavior. It could be a coincidence or not, anyway, I will not take risks so I have not performed any modification.

I decided to use the promotion license of rigol, and I am happy with all functionalities. It does not enable more memory and bw, but for my immediate work, it's enough.

I was playing with waveform generator in arbitrary mode and I save some .arb files to usb. I create a python script in order to create custom signals and save it in the same format as oscilloscope. The only thing that I have not figured out is the interpolation mode.

This is my first oscilloscope so I am really exiting for all the features. So any advice, or hint, that you can share, I will be deeply thankful.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2020, 08:52:45 pm »
Well I could disassemble appentry file and I check the offset suggested by mabl in mso5k thread, and it has the same instruction. However I am not sure if the complete behavior is the same. I can not assume that mso5k and mso7k with different fw versions has the same behavior. It could be a coincidence or not, anyway, I will not take risks so I have not performed any modification.

I say it again: "the MSO5000 patching is almost the same but with different offsets."

Anyone who is able to see what is patched in the MSO5000 can easily find the same disassembly in the 7000.

BTW, the risk of bricking the scope is negligible because there is always the bootloader update method.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Leon23

Offline fact

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2020, 02:58:41 pm »
I just installed fresh firmware in my MSO7000.
This text is from the release notes:

----------------------------------
[Supported Model]    All the MSO/DS7000 Series Digital Oscilloscopes
[Latest Revision Date] 2020/06/18

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.01.02.00.06  2020/06/18

- In the calibration part, fine delay calibration between channels is added

----------------------------------

No major changes, XY-operation still a blob moving over the screen, no Bode plot, .....

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2021, 04:20:16 am »
I tried "upgrading" the MSO7014 to all upgrade options using the MSO5000 guides and recommendations from here. It didn't work. Although I know I still have to try something else (more work). I just want to let everybody know about this experience.

1) Use the gel file from https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds7000/msg2930476/#msg2930476 to get ssh running.

This worked fine. One thing that I wanted to do was to get ssh _always_ running without needing to use the USB key just in case something went south with the appEntry executable and then I couldn't get to the device again (because I didn't even get appEntry program running at all!!!). I mean, the plan is to tweak a binary directly. This is kind of insane (easy to screw things up).

1.1) EXTRA STEP: Get ssh always running!!!

In the MSO5000 thread I read somewhere that at /etc/init.d/rcS ssh was previously started, but rigol removed this in newer firmware versions. I looked at the file and I saw "#/usr/sbin/sshd" commented out. Tried removing the comment, reboot: did't work. I think the reason is because the "/" rootfs of the device is some sort of union filesystem that stores changes in RAM only. Only things changed in /rigol are permanent.

Reading more, I found that after /etc/init.d/rcS /rigol/shell/start.sh is executed. In this file I added /usr/sbin/sshd at the beginning of the file. This worked perfectly. The nice thing about this is that sshd is loaded before appEntry is executed, if appEntry fails, sshd will still be running and I could restore from an old appEntry file easily and then try fast with many appEntry versions as possible.

Everybody should do this! It is nice to have ssh always running!!!

2) backup

I just used this.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds7000/msg2757408/#msg2757408

Both the normal backup and the nand backup

I also did a scp of /rigol directory

3) Get appEntry modified correctly. I couldn't find an already modified version of an appEntry for a MSO7000.

Suggestions from @tv84 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds7000/msg3070602/#msg3070602 are that one must "find" the "offsets". Well. Reading more I guessed they were referring to the bytes changed on the appEntry binary file. The suggestion appears to go in this direction:

a) go find a MSO5000 patch file
b) get the corresponding original appEntry file
c) patch
d) compare original appEntry vs patched version and find out the patched data.
e) search for that same binary data on my MSO7000 appEntry file
f) modify data on MSO7000 appEntry file to be the same as the patched MSO5000 content on those "offsets"
g) copy new patched file to the MSO7000 instead of the original file  (optionally: generate a patch file and put it in the forum)

I did all this and it didn't work. Actually my oscilloscope came with several packages already activated and they got deactivated. I put the original appEntry file back again, and the licenses are still deactivated.

Result: total failure!!!!

My firmware version: 01.01.02.00.06 (which is a weird version by the way, I can only find 00.01.02.00.06 on rigol webpage, I'm guessing it is the same, for some reason it is showing 01 at the beginning).

The offsets I found are the following:

0x0017E4C8 : 4 bytes modified
0x0017E4E4 : 4 bytes modified
0x0036DDE0 : 4 bytes modified
0x0036DDFC : 4 bytes modified
0x001cc0e4 : 8 bytes modified

In the last offset the data was already "patched". My guess is that because of the already activated licenses maybe something was already activated there. But not sure. Binary file shouldn't be different in my opinion.

Next steps: disassembly/decompile. This takes a lot of analysis time. Not my idea when I decided to buy the oscilloscope.

So, for normal people, or people without time: Don't buy this oscilloscope thinking it is easily upgradable for free: it is not: unless someone does this work and puts the patch here. Get the MSO5000 instead.

Also, another word of advise, a next firmware version they may change the appEntry file so much that previous patches may not be "adjustable with finding out offsets" like pointed out before. This should apply to both generation of oscilloscopes (less of a problem with the more popular MSO5000 that people are more willing to put the patches freely online).

I'll get back if I'm getting any results with disassembly. I will be looking for a mentioned famous license checking function in it. Don't hold your breath, it could be that it changes to another function number totally different on the MSO7000. I have played a bit with ghidra before. I couldn't do much. The task then was very complicated. I hope this one is easier.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:46:00 am by memeruiz »

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:21 pm »
Looks like they are changing the license portion of the appEntry, I have seen a similar thing on a later version of the 5000 firmware.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2021, 05:58:00 pm »
Not likely.

@memeruiz,

My guess is that the patches were wrong.

Are you sure you reflashed the stock FW?

Have you re-inserted the licenses via the usual method?

If that doesn't work, it means you somehow corrupted your FRAM's pubkey.

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:01 pm »
Looks like they are changing the license portion of the appEntry, I have seen a similar thing on a later version of the 5000 firmware.

The mentioned function from here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2233152/#msg2233152 I guess is just an address really. Checked on my MSO7000 appEntry file and there is no function there. (As expected, quite unlikely that these two software compilations (one for 5000 and one for 7000) will have the same memory position for all functions). That commentary is not really giving any useful information to find it in the rest of the code. So just do from scratch rev. eng. ...

I have to look more into all the comments of that thread to see if I find someone giving more details.

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2021, 09:50:26 pm »
Not likely.

@memeruiz,

My guess is that the patches were wrong.

Are you sure you reflashed the stock FW?

Have you re-inserted the licenses via the usual method?

If that doesn't work, it means you somehow corrupted your FRAM's pubkey.

Not likely what part?

The patches are sure wrong (but it was not a patch really, just a manually modified appEntry version)! It would be working otherwise!

Why do I have to reflash the FW? I changed the appEntry file temporarily and then just recover with the original one. No changes anywhere else (except start.sh for sshd).

I tried copying the .lic files back again to data dir. but didn't work. I'm not sure if that is the "usual method" .... I will have to look for the "usual method" on the MSO5000 thread probably then.

Well, if I changed a bin executable file by hand incorrectly, anything can happen, even corrupting something I guess. But I find that highly unlikely. My guess is that maybe the software detects that something changed in the binary itself and then invalidates all licenses. (like a protection). Not really sure.

I didn't play with FRAM. Except maybe your backup script did something bad there, if it somehow touches that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:53:38 pm by memeruiz »

The following users thanked this post: natman69

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:45 am »
Not likely what part?

The patches are sure wrong (but it was not a patch really, just a manually modified appEntry version)! It would be working otherwise!

Why do I have to reflash the FW? I changed the appEntry file temporarily and then just recover with the original one. No changes anywhere else (except start.sh for sshd).

I tried copying the .lic files back again to data dir. but didn't work. I'm not sure if that is the "usual method" .... I will have to look for the "usual method" on the MSO5000 thread probably then.

Well, if I changed a bin executable file by hand incorrectly, anything can happen, even corrupting something I guess. But I find that highly unlikely. My guess is that maybe the software detects that something changed in the binary itself and then invalidates all licenses. (like a protection). Not really sure.

I didn't play with FRAM. Except maybe your backup script did something bad there, if it somehow touches that.

The "not likely" was an answer to @normi's post.

:wtf: is a "manually modified appEntry version" if not a patch?

The "usual method" is the way Rigol tells us how licenses must be inserted. Have you seen any official method of inserting licenses through copying files in a telnet session?

"Well, if I changed a bin executable file by hand incorrectly, anything can happen, even corrupting something I guess. But I find that highly unlikely... Except maybe your backup script did something bad there, if it somehow touches that."

With these comments, I'm out.

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:26 am »

The "usual method" is the way Rigol tells us how licenses must be inserted. Have you seen any official method of inserting licenses through copying files in a telnet session?

I agree you should use the method Rigol recommends to add the license, it is likely that after the license is copied to the scope it then gets processed and a changes made elsewhere. The license file is probably not used after, so you will have to do over the adding by inserting the USB stick with the keys and then do a option install.
@memeruiz
What was the build date on that firmware?

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2021, 04:26:51 am »

The "not likely" was an answer to @normi's post.

:wtf: is a "manually modified appEntry version" if not a patch?

"Well, if I changed a bin executable file by hand incorrectly, anything can happen, even corrupting something I guess. But I find that highly unlikely... Except maybe your backup script did something bad there, if it somehow touches that."

With these comments, I'm out.

I used vbindiff between an original appEntry and a patched appEntry for the MSO5000. That way I found the data changed by the patch. Not only the offsets but also the particular changed data and also its context (data before and after).

Then, I used a binary editor ghex. This tool has a binary search function. I looked for similar data before and after the patched data in my appEntry MSO7000 file. Then I applied the same changes to the data between. I did a manual patching basically. I have done this before, when files haven't changed much this works fine. In this case the data on the last offset was not that similar on the MSO7000 to the MSO5000.

With respect to the licenses thing. I have never inserted any Rigol licenses yet. This Oscilloscope is very new to me.  I will be asking for the license updates they are giving now for free, then I will discover this license activation method. I don't know how to do it. I did try to scp the .lic files back to the /rigol/data dir. from my backup. That didn't work. I guess it is not the right method. Didn't know this oscilloscope has a telnet port open (it seems very obsolete to be using telnet for anything now a days).

If you are sure your backup script works fine then ignore the message. I was pointing out, it is the only other way I could see any corruption there. I never imagined people could get offended (apparently) by pointing out all possibilities, in technical conversations. I will be more careful from now on ... avoiding getting people unintentionally offended.

The following users thanked this post: natman69

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #297 on: April 21, 2021, 04:31:54 am »

I agree you should use the method Rigol recommends to add the license, it is likely that after the license is copied to the scope it then gets processed and a changes made elsewhere. The license file is probably not used after, so you will have to do over the adding by inserting the USB stick with the keys and then do a option install.
@memeruiz
What was the build date on that firmware?

The licenses came with the Oscilloscope already. So I don't have any license files, nor instructions to do this license activation. I will be asking Rigol for the free licenses they are currently offering. I will then discover how to do this and I will have the necessary files. I don't know if the .lic files are the same as the "keys" you are mentioning.

The build date on the firmware I will send it to you privately, I'm afraid there are eyes around here that could use that for blacklisting me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:35:45 am by memeruiz »

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #298 on: April 21, 2021, 10:37:14 am »
A bit of more updates:

I modified the patchfinder.sh for working in Linux.

I ran this script using appEntry_01_01_04_08.bpatch using appEntry.ori.01.01.04.08 against the following appEntries:

appEntry.ori.5k.01.02.00.02   Finds proper offsets
appEntry.ori.5k.01.02.00.03  Finds proper offsets
appEntry.ori.5k.01.03.00.01   Finds proper offsets
appEntry.ori.7k.00.01.01.09.02   No results
appEntry.ori.7k.00.01.02.00.05   No results

Maybe some things must be tweaked in patchfinder.sh to "search better or more" ....

Manually I was able to find most changes against my firmware version (01.01.02.00.06). Except the last binary change. But it didn't work.

Is there a newer patch file than this one:  appEntry_01_01_04_08.bpatch ?
Is there a patch file specifically made for the 7k?

I haven't found any on the forums.

Offline memeruiz

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: April 21, 2021, 12:13:07 pm »
Good news :)

Got my MSO7014 totally upgraded. Thanks to everybody that contributed so many details of the Osc.

I had to objdump three files:

appEntry.5k.01.01.04.08
appEntry.5k.01.01.04.08_patched  (with appEntry_01_01_04_08.bpatch)
appEntry.ori.7k.01.01.02.00.06

With the object dumps I was able to get a better context on the things I was changing by hand. I think the problem from my first attempt was the last 8byte change. It was a bit more different on the 7k than the other changes.

patchfinder.sh was not able to find these changes between 5k and 7k. Maybe it has to be tweaked to force a stronger lookup for more far away address. I'm not sure how exactly patchfinder looks for the changes. Find attached patchfinder.sh modifed for linux. You still have to install zsh in linux to run it! You also need binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi

Code: [Select]
zsh patchfinder.sh appEntry.ori bsdiff patch.txt appEntry.new
Also find attached the bspatch for MSO7000 firmware version 01.01.02.00.06 (which is not on the Rigol webpage yet for some reason). It could be that this patch also works for older firmware versions. Please check!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:21:37 pm by memeruiz »

The following users thanked this post: BarsMonster, mindcrime, djidji

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf