Author Topic: Nano VNA H4 v Tiny PFA from Mirfield Electronics  (Read 399 times)

Offline 807Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Nano VNA H4 v Tiny PFA from Mirfield Electronics
« on: February 17, 2024, 09:58:35 pm »
There's a site in UK called Mirfield Electronics selling the Nano VNA H4 and the Tiny PFA. My understanding is that the PFA is just a reprogrammed VNA H4. However, the PFA sells for £64.95, while the VNA sells for £79.95. This doesn't make sense to me, as it's the same hardware. I contacted the seller with this question:-

"Hi. I've been reading about converting a Nano VNA H4 to a PFA. I notice that you sell a ready configured PFA for £64.95, but an H4 for £79.95. I was wondering why the PFA is cheaper when the same hardware is used?"

This was the reply:-

"The PFA isn’t a VNA that’s probably why but Erik Kashoek is the man see the web site on tinysa.org"

I was very disappointed with the reply, as it didn't answer the question at all. It's as if the guy didn't really understand what he was selling. I know a PFA isn't a VNA. And what has Erik's tinySA wiki got to do with it? I was assuming that this company bought in the VNA's & flashed the firmware themselves, so was expecting the PFA to cost a bit more because of the extra work involved, but they are £15 cheaper than the VNA.

I was wondering if the case & calibration parts weren't included with the PFA, but there's no photo & no description of what's included, & I thought that would have been mentioned in the reply.  :-//

Has anyone else ordered a PFA from this place?

PFA https://www.mirfield-electronics.co.uk/tiny-pfa-freq-phase-analyser/

VNA https://www.mirfield-electronics.co.uk/nanovna-network-analysers/

Offline erikka

• Regular Contributor
Re: Nano VNA H4 v Tiny PFA from Mirfield Electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 06:20:25 am »
The tinyPFA does not come with the SMA male calibration kit which explains the cost difference

The following users thanked this post: 807

Offline 807Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Nano VNA H4 v Tiny PFA from Mirfield Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 12:12:55 pm »
The tinyPFA does not come with the SMA male calibration kit which explains the cost difference

Thanks for clearing that up. I suspected that might be the case. I was surprised that Mirfield don't tell you what's included on their website, or that they didn't tell me when I asked.

Thanks also for creating the firmware.  :-+ Look forward to playing with the PFA when it arrives.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf