Author Topic: Ipm6300 Power Quality Analyzer - does anyone have one?  (Read 125 times)

Offline BakamanTopic starter

• Contributor
Ipm6300 Power Quality Analyzer - does anyone have one?
« on: May 04, 2024, 07:27:07 am »
Hi Chaps, being a bit of a nerd, I'm interested in measuring all sorts of stuff and have a collection of gear. A while back whilst I bought this handy power analyser which is sold in the UK by RS PRO, which tends to mean low-end. Anyway, I want to measure dips and/or spikes on a 230V supply on a project that has been blowing input surge protector-related fuses on some battery charger rectifiers. The 15A fuses link with an MOV that starts to clamp at 800v pk, so I'm thinking that this is a relatively high energy surge,  but only seems to happen infrequently - 7 different sites blew a module in 5 months across 100± railway sites, never twice in the same location.
But this is not a question about the surge, but about the ipm6300.  There isn't much information about it.  It logs current, voltage power etc. But it also has a fast transient logging mode - that records dips and swells and outages, which might be what I'd like to leave on site for a few days for collecting generally noisy supplies.
I've got the software but I'm not sure if it is running OK. I can download the transient file list into the Windows programme, but there doesn't seem to be anything happening when it is there, and there is no option to save or see an image or data points re surge magnitude or shape etc.
So does anyone have one of these beasts?

Offline BakamanTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Ipm6300 Power Quality Analyzer - does anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 07:49:45 am »
The device itself apparently detects transients as fast as 40us, which would seem to indicate that it is detecting fast peak transients like my Fluke 289.
I can set a threshold (5-99%) which vary by that amount from a particular rms voltage, and displays a time stamp and an H, L, or 0 for each event, and its duration in terms of supply frequency cycle counts.  Not much use in itself other than indicating that there was a swell, dip, or outage at that time - how big wast it? was it a peak voltage of 375v, or 575v?  Anyway, hopefully the device has also recorded more info with a number of samples for each event that I can save and view or analyse on a pc.
I know that I'm expecting a lot from a small cheap device, it might not do what I want which is OK.  There is no info in any help files, nor explanations in any manuals.
I just want to know if anyone has had better success in obtaining transient info out of this than I have.
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf