Author Topic: New Rigol DS7000  (Read 103908 times)

Offline wat

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS7000
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2018, 05:43:35 pm »
wat - To help keep the hounds off Dave, if you have any general feedback on the scope please feel free to share.   :)
May relax a few who's pockets have money trying to burn themselves out of.  Not me of course...no, no definitely not me....really  ;)
I don't have anything cool to measure yet, that will come soon...

Some marginal comments: it's cool that you can have 4 analogue channels plus the digital on at the same time
Small downside: it takes about 40 seconds to boot

I have one little concern: I don't see how to enter an expansion license, that menu is disabled. (Possibly this will change with the next FW release??)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:46:25 pm by wat »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:53 pm »
I have one little concern: I don't see how to enter an expansion license, that menu is disabled. (Possibly this will change with the next FW release??)

Possibly only a USB pendisk (with the specific license) will enable the local upgrade??

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »

Possibly only a USB pendisk (with the specific license) will enable the local upgrade??

Rigol-supplied keyfile?

Has anybody ordered their DS7000 with upgrades? How do they work?

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:14 am »
Has anyone done any comparisons with Keysight 3000 scopes ? I only see comparisons done with Teks 3000 scopes and we know how hamstrung they can be when there is too much going on at once.

Offline jamodio

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2018, 03:24:41 am »

Same as other options, they send a pdf Software License Certificate with the key.

You go to their site, enter the key and serial number and it generates the license file that gets installed via USB.

Offline wat

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2018, 09:29:04 pm »
I've used it a bit, generating some waveforms with a microcontroller (dacs and PWM output, ignore the not-perfect saw-tooth, it's normal like this).

The response is good, just one critic: it should save the settings when powering off: after boot it always starts up with the default settings: all 4 channels active, 1V/div and 1us/div. Digital inputs off.

Probably every other DSO at power up has the settings that were left last time it was used :(

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:44 pm »
Probably every other DSO at power up has the settings that were left last time it was used :(

Have a look at the manual, page 19-6, "Power On". Configure this setting to "last" it should work as you are used to.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:03:21 am by TurboTom »

The following users thanked this post: wat

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:12 pm »

Even the humble DS1054Z has a menu item to select that... :popcorn:

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2018, 10:24:32 pm »
Press Utility  System, and then press Power On continuously to select "Last" or
"Default". By default, it is "Last".
 Last: returns to the setting of the system at last power-off.
 Default: returns to the factory setting of the system.

manual is your friend.....

The following users thanked this post: wat

Offline wat

• Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2018, 07:17:24 am »
Thank you guys ( :palm:

Honestly I wasn't expecting it could exist an option different from "Last", I've never seen it before on any scope (or maybe I forgot about it...)
I'll read the manual, promise!

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline zeratul42

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2018, 12:27:01 pm »
Any idea to find magic private key  ?

Offline seppeltronics

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2018, 07:31:05 pm »
Hello

I'm buying an Oscilloscope next week and think I get a Rigol MSO7014. What do you think about the unit? The discussion was that my colleague prefers scopes that have a dedicated knob-set for each channel, so I came up with the MSO7014. The other option would be the R&S RTB2K-104M.

Any comments/recommendations?

Thank you very much,

Best Regards, Seppel

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
Make a test plan to see if the oscilloscope does what you need it to do. If you need to do that on your boss' dime then you better get the R&S RTB2000 or R&S RTM3000 because there will be no money savings. Bosses like to pay for tools which work out of the box and don't need a whole lot of tinkering.

The R&S scopes are also a much safer bet when it comes to firmware updates and support. Rigol doesn't have a good track record getting the firmware on their higher end scopes fixed quickly. Look at the DS2000 and DS4000 threads on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:42:00 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline seppeltronics

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »
Hello,

well, the “scope thing” has a longer story. In general we order the scope for one of my colleagues, he'd like to heave TDS2014C (we all know it's a vintage scope), he will use it a lot and he requested to have 4 separate controls. Because the TDS2014C is so hopelessly outdated I stepped in and with the argument that the DS7014 also got 4 knobs we may order the Rigol. Finally I was able to get a better discount on the MSO than the DS, that way I was able to get an MSO. It's a compromise, but considering the TDS2014C starting-point I pulled it very far. The HDMI Output is also something that may be useful on workshops, tech-days,... so I can show off the things we do. The Rigol has an Integral math function, we use the Integral math function a lot on our other measurement systems.

The R&S RTB2k104M with the RTB-PK1 option-bundle was my first choice, but I could not “sell” the “one knob” control to the department actually buying the scope. What also concerns me, the R&S is the piezoelectric effect of the Input, the environment we work in is related to vibration. The R&S is a good scope, that is very likely the next one I will push to buy.

Best Regards, Seppel

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2018, 04:21:37 pm »
The microphonic sensitivity on the R&S RTB2000 is mainly due to the BNCs not being fixed to the case. The RTM3000 has the BNCs bolted to the chassis and this should take care of most of the microphonic sensitivity. Then again I don't think it is much of a problem in real world scenarios. It doesn't look like much but Dave is sending very large impacts directly into the oscilloscopes. It is unlikely a vibrating table causes a similar effect. Also consider that modern scopes have near real-time web interfaces so having a big screen connected to an oscilloscope directly is not that big of an advantage. It is a pity the department buying the scope is so hung up on the 'one knob' because with a good touch screen interface you can do without the knobs AND work faster.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2018, 05:58:13 pm »
The "piezo effect" is a hard sell if you have to specify the oscilloscope where someone else has to use as well and may have his mind set on a specific model that does not have this effect (I am assuming this does not happen).

I would contact the three manufacturers and get demo units to get the "approval" of everyone involved. That would be a much safer approach, although you may not have the luxury of time.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:13 pm »
Dunno when it started, but there seems to be a sale where you get all the protocol decoders, the power quality measurement and the AWG (on MSO models) options for free until end of this year:
https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/7000/
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline seppeltronics

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2018, 01:21:49 pm »
Hello,

we just bought a Rigol MSO7k with Trigger-options, my first impressions:

• You can increase the brightness of the MSO7k, per default it's dim, after setting it to 80-90% it is ok.
  • Having HDMI is awesome  8) , I tried it with a big screen in a meeting-room, cool feature. I'll propose we will use it on one of the next Tech-Days where we show products to customers. Why they just got 1280*720, instead of the 1920*1080 I have no idea, hopefully they offer it in one of the next updates.
  • Boot-time is ok  :) , I used Tek's, LeCroy,... that were far worse, I think Dave overreacts  :-/O.
  • The protective front cover is included  :-+ , I think every scope(or other equipment) should have it included as standard. It makes storage very convenient, very nice.

It'll take a while until I can come up with some more details, currently I'm very busy with project management,... In January I'll have more time.

Best Regards, Seppel

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2018, 08:43:29 am »
flamingo_console is the main app. Inside are the interesting validations.

Rigol DS7000 - License Upgrade Options (as seen on the app code):
Code: [Select]
BW1T2  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (100MHZ TO 200MHZ)
BW1T3  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (100MHZ TO 350MHZ)
BW1T5  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (100MHZ TO 500MHZ)
BW2T3  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (200MHZ TO 350MHZ)
BW2T5  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (200MHZ TO 500MHZ)
BW3T5  - BANDWIDTH UPGRADE (350MHZ TO 500MHZ)
MSO    - ENABLE 16 DIGITAL CHANNELS
2RL    - MEMORY DEPTH UPGRADE (250MPTS MAX.)
5RL    - MEMORY DEPTH UPGRADE (500MPTS MAX.)
BND    - FUNCTION & APPLICATION BUNDLE
COMP   - RS232/UART BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
EMBD   - I2C/SPI BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
AUTO   - CAN/LIN BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
FLEX   - FLEXRAY BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
AUDIO  - I2S BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
SENSOR  - SENT SENSOR TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
AERO   - MIL-STD-1553 BUS TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
ARINC  - ARINC-429 SERIAL TRIGGER & ANALYSIS
DG     - DUAL CHANNEL WAVEGEN 25 MHZ AWG
JITTER - JITTER & REALTIME EYE DIAGRAM ANALYSIS
MASK   - MASK TEST
PWR    - INTEGRATED POWER ANALYSIS
DVM    - INTEGRATED DIGITAL VOLTMETER
CTR   - INTEGRATED 10 DIGIT COUNTER
EDK    - EDUCATION AND TRAINING OPTION

500MHz and 500M memory are not options that Rigol have disclosed. Interesting.
Just think, they are selling, at a profit, a 4CH 500MHz mixed signal scope with 500M of memory and dual ARB's for as little as US$900 retail.

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:25 am »
What also concerns me, the R&S is the piezoelectric effect of the Input, the environment we work in is related to vibration.

Highly unlikely to be a problem in practice, the feet and case decoupling would almost certainly attenuate anything to down in to the existing noise floor.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:17 am »
I'm buying an Oscilloscope next week and think I get a Rigol MSO7014. What do you think about the unit? The discussion was that my colleague prefers scopes that have a dedicated knob-set for each channel, so I came up with the MSO7014. The other option would be the R&S RTB2K-104M.
Any comments/recommendations?

If the company is paying, and money isn't really an issue, get the R&S, it's a much nicer and more capable scope with the 10bit ADC. Little contest there really.

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2018, 07:29:16 pm »
The v00.01.01.07.01 .GEL file is a .TAR archive and can be opened with the 7-zip decompressor.

Inside there are the following files:
<snip>
fw4linux.sh and fw4uboot.sh are 2 AES-CBC encrypted shell scripts
<snip>

I'm curious, I'm looking at both shell scripts, but the first character seems to be off in both. In fw4linux.sh the first character seems to be an '=' but I'm quite guessing it should be a '#' to make the first line a comment. I can't seem to spot what caused the error, it's not a simple bit-flip ..
as for fw4uboot.sh, it seems to be missing the entire first character ...

Can you double check if this is indeed what went wrong?

Finally, I think the shebang went missing on purpose; they probably are calling the script as `sh fw4linux.sh` somewhere so the executability likely won't matter ...

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
The v00.01.01.07.01 .GEL file is a .TAR archive and can be opened with the 7-zip decompressor.

<snip>
<snip>

I'm curious, I'm looking at both shell scripts, but the first character seems to be off in both. In fw4linux.sh the first character seems to be an '=' but I'm quite guessing it should be a '#' to make the first line a comment. I can't seem to spot what caused the error, it's not a simple bit-flip ..

Finally, I think the shebang went missing on purpose; they probably are calling the script as `sh fw4linux.sh` somewhere so the executability likely won't matter ...

The first 4 bytes are (what I think is) a CRC32, after decryption! I didn't bother to verify but I can if needed.

So, I cutted those 4 bytes. (i think all of them)

I assume that if that is important maybe they, when removing the CRC, replace it with the proper #.

I have the AES key in the 5000 thread, so you can do the decryption yourself to validate.

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:56 am »

<snip>
<snip>

The first 4 bytes are (what I think is) a CRC32, after decryption! I didn't bother to verify but I can if needed.

So, I cutted those 4 bytes. (i think all of them)

I assume that if that is important maybe they, when removing the CRC, replace it with the proper #.

I have the AES key in the 5000 thread, so you can do the decryption yourself to validate.

I don't have a scope yet, so I'll see if I can run the binary in qemu (I have it from the fw update). But if you manually did some cutting, then that can explain things, or rather, maybe they muked up the en/decryption of the file and it's not exactly 32 bits (I would not be suprised there).

But thanks, that explains it!

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:43 am »
I've recently tried this scope.
It's full of bugs, regularly locks up and hardly worthy as a serious instrument at this time.
1. Using the search button regularly causes a lock up
2. Memory waveform recall.. lucky if it does.. partial recall, sometimes none, sometimes a bit, occasionally most.
3. Cursors that have been moved offscreen loose their position when the other cursor is moved.
4. Cursors don't track the math trace properly
5. Trigger rearm time seemed to be 60ms,  no hope of storing fast segments into memory
6. Plugging in a probe generated a whole load of screen data/noise killing the current view.
7.. There were others.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:49:03 pm by rowifi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf