Author Topic: New easywaveX for Siglent function/arbitrary waveform generators  (Read 8121 times)

Offline oeweanTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
New easywaveX for Siglent function/arbitrary waveform generators
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:10 am »
Hi,
Siglent has released an new version of the wave editing software, EasyWaveX.
Redesigned with a modern look and feel, better usability and more functions.

Easywave - 1.1.0.13
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/waveform-generators/

Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

The following users thanked this post: ahope, klausES

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New easywaveX for Siglent function/arbitrary waveform generators
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:30:28 pm »
Yike, once I unzipped and tried to run the setup, first Windows OS tried to block the install program from being run.  After I bypassed it, Norton AntiVirus flagged "We recommend not using this file unless you know it's safe".  Publisher is "Unknown" on the file.

There has been a lot of discussion lately with regard to the maturity of software and firmware development between the A Brand and the B Brand, this is an example of one, and one that can be easily fixed if Siglent paid more attention to the install routine. 

Minor inconvenience aside, I applaud Siglent's effort in proactive software and firmware update, they are definitely better than Rigol in this regard.  Perhaps tautech and relay this finding to Siglent to get it fixed.

I look forward to do some playing around with the new software.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
Yike, once I unzipped and tried to run the setup, first Windows OS tried to block the install program from being run.  After I bypassed it, Norton AntiVirus flagged "We recommend not using this file unless you know it's safe".  Publisher is "Unknown" on the file.

There has been a lot of discussion lately with regard to the maturity of software and firmware development between the A Brand and the B Brand, this is an example of one, and one that can be easily fixed if Siglent paid more attention to the install routine.

While I agree that having the installer signed properly would be useful, I wouldn't really put too much value into what Norton AntiVirus, a program which over the last 2 decades has shown a remarkable track record slowing down PCs while being as useful as a bag of horse manure to improve security. Seriously, a bowl of Holy Water, placed on top of your PC, would do more to keep it safe from malware than Norton AV  ;)

Tip: if you run Windows stay with the included Windows Defender. It's around as helpless against modern malware as any antivirus solution but at least it doesn't cause additional security vulnerabilities which 3rd party tools like Norton AV often do, and it doesn't get in the way of getting stuff done.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:06:24 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:10:43 pm »
I agree with you on many of the antivirus packages out there.  I like the idea of the holy water, just as long as I have a way to keep it from spilling  ;D 

But from Siglent's perspective, this is something that is easily fixable in the install routine, and making its software more comparable to the A-Brand. 

Offline JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 09:12:26 pm »
The trigonometric functions in the Equation Editor don't work for me. 
For example, sin(2*pi*x) just produces a ramp.  Am I missing something?

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 09:13:02 pm »
Ah, it's now called EasyWave"X".

Nothing had to be avoided, no any error message.
No problems during installation (Win 8.1 64 and Defender).

It makes a much better impression than the old EasyWave versions.  :-+
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:33:56 pm »
Loaded and installed to a Win7 box with no issues.  Seems to work fine (with SDG2122X) but have not tried everything.

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 06:48:11 am »
Here is a side-by-side screenshot of new (left) vs. old (right).

This is actually the ECG wave generated by the on-board AWG on the Rigol MSO5000, captured by the scope and converted into CSV, then brought into EasyWave.  It was later downloaded to the Siglent AWG to recreate the signal.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:58:45 am by NoisyBoy »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 08:58:47 am »
The trigonometric functions in the Equation Editor don't work for me. 
For example, sin(2*pi*x) just produces a ramp.  Am I missing something?

Same here.
Looked into it further. You need to enter: sin(2*pi*x*[freqency])
So if you are creating 1000 Hz wave you enter sin(2*pi*x*1000)  and get full period.
Also, range command doesn't work right. If you enter example from help doesn't work . "range (0,16384)" throws an error you need to enter "range (1,16384)".
Not right or even documented right.

Looks good, I like the new concept. Needs more testing and a thorough debug, and a bit more comprehensive help system. For instance,  in Equation editor window there is no help button or any help at all. You need to exit the form (abandoning any changes you made so far) and then call up application help from menu, where you have one page that explains it.

The following users thanked this post: JDubU

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 09:55:43 am »
EasywaveX is nice and compact at only 18MB installer.
VISA is a lardy PITA though.

An alternative for waveform creation is to make CSV files in GNU Octave / MATLAB using a simple script I wrote as a starting point.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000-arbitrary-csv-file-format/msg1973726/#msg1973726

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:42:51 pm »

While I agree that having the installer signed properly would be useful, I wouldn't really put too much value into what Norton AntiVirus, a program which over the last 2 decades has shown a remarkable track record slowing down PCs while being as useful as a bag of horse manure to improve security. Seriously, a bowl of Holy Water, placed on top of your PC, would do more to keep it safe from malware than Norton AV  ;)

Tip: if you run Windows stay with the included Windows Defender. It's around as helpless against modern malware as any antivirus solution but at least it doesn't cause additional security vulnerabilities which 3rd party tools like Norton AV often do, and it doesn't get in the way of getting stuff done.

I am using Avast Anti-virus and it does not slow down the computer that much! At least not as much as Norton Antivirus.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 03:05:16 pm »
I am using Avast Anti-virus and it does not slow down the computer that much! At least not as much as Norton Antivirus.

Norton is particularly bad, however I'm not sure I would trust Avast either:

https://www.cnet.com/news/antivirus-firm-avast-is-reportedly-selling-users-web-browsing-data/

The question really is: what for? Pretty much all of the 3rd party tools have shown to be utterly incompetent in protecting a PC, in fact it has been becoming worse (viruses aren't really a big thing today, malware uses exploits, social engineering and other techniques which these tools are oblivious to), and all while causing additional harm through missteps like random deletion of critical operating system files and on occasions even offering malware an easier way in.

The best you can do is use Windows Defender which comes with Windows 8/8.1/10, keep all your software updated, and apply some common-sense rules like using admin privileges only when necessary, using MFA and not using the same password for all accounts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:24:06 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »
I have been using EasyWaveX and find it better than most 'free' software.  Better here means easy to get running, easy to use and capable.
It would be nice if more instrument manufacturers offered software like this.  My latest need was for pulsating DC waveforms.  Turned out to
be very straightforward.  Screen shot and waveforms are posted.  131072 samples @ 120 Hz yields halfwave pulsating dc.  My ARB is a SDG2122X

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 11:12:08 pm »
Nice, pleasing to see your pic shows the code for others to see although:
My ARB is a SDG2122X
That's not what you have selected for the ARB.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 11:09:59 am »
Here ya go!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf