Author Topic: New R&S 2-Quadrant Power Supply NGM200 - 20Aug2019  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSATopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New R&S 2-Quadrant Power Supply NGM200 - 20Aug2019
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:55:14 pm »
Hi Everyone,

We introduced a new 2-quadrant power supply today, the NGM200:

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/product/ngm200-productstartpage_63493-652229.html

You can think of the NGM200 as a big brother to the NGL200 family, but with faster data logging (up to 500ks/s), built-in battery simulation and even better accuracy thanks to measurement range switching.

We have a few videos on it out already:

Key Features Overview (1m35s):

Battery Simulation (2m49s):

DVM Overview (1m49s):

In addition, there is a very thorough review and teardown of a pre-production unit by Dr. Gough Lui:
https://goughlui.com/2019/08/20/launch-day-review-rohde-schwarz-ngm202-power-supply-overview/

Pricing starts at US$4,130.  Clearly this isn't something you might buy for your home lab, but for those of you working with products that use batteries, need data logging, require very accurate/sensitive voltage/current supply and/or need fast load recovery, this might be worth a look.

-Rich
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:57:57 pm by Rich@RohdeScopesUSA »

Offline marber

• Regular Contributor
New R&S 2-Quadrant Power Supply NGM200 - 20Aug2019
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:14:28 pm »
Nice. This seems to be the successor to the NGMO? Fairly similar featureset.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New R&S 2-Quadrant Power Supply NGM200 - 20Aug2019
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
Nice. This seems to be the successor to the NGMO? Fairly similar featureset.
Yes - I'd agree with that.

-Rich

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:43:34 pm »
Wow look at that price tag. My Agilent 6632B & 6612C can also sink and source current, you can pick them both up for cheap on eBay. They aren’t as accurate as this thing, but they will do the job.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:13:00 pm »
Those are just general purpose power supplies. This is a bit more than that.

Offline marber

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:16:20 pm »
Wow look at that price tag. My Agilent 6632B & 6612C can also sink and source current, you can pick them both up for cheap on eBay. They aren’t as accurate as this thing, but they will do the job.

That part of the job, yes. These units do several jobs more. ;)

I bought an NGMO2 for $200, basically as a versatile, fast and accurate PSU and load. (I think they used to go for similar sums until these replacement models until recently.) But I’m also quite enjoying it now I’m working with battery powered devices and sleep modes, which it can trigger, sample and store at 100kSps. The NGM200 looks like a nice upgrade. But indeed not feasible for my home lab, though.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:24:26 pm »
Like Keithley's battery simulators, I do think you still need another separate device that can actually characterize the battery and make a profile for the NGM to use.

I do wish my NGL had the same current range switching capabilities.  I miss having my NGL around since it died after only a month of use.  R&S have had it for about 1.5 months now for warranty service and still have not returned it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:54:11 pm by JxR »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:25:39 pm »
Like Keithley's battery simulators, I do think you still need another separate device that can actually characterize the battery and make a profile for the NGM to use.

I do wish my NGL had the same range switching.  I miss having my NGL around since it died after only a month of use.  R&S has had it for about 1.5 months now for warranty service and still have not returned it.

From the data sheet they have some common batteries set up already, but you can add more profiles if you need.

Maybe they can upgrade you as a sign of goodwill, hahaha.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:28:07 pm by maginnovision »

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 09:28:19 pm »

Not going to hold my breath on that one...but that would certainly be nice.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
Pricing starts at US$4,130.  Clearly this isn't something you might buy for your home lab, but for those of you working with products that use batteries, need data logging, require very accurate/sensitive voltage/current supply and/or need fast load recovery, this might be worth a look.

-Rich
You clearly underestimate people's home labs  8)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »
R&S have had it for about 1.5 months now for warranty service and still have not returned it.
|O

Just messaged you. 

-Rich

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:04 pm »
R&S have had it for about 1.5 months now for warranty service and still have not returned it.
|O

Just messaged you. 

-Rich

Thanks, and I replied.  Rich is pretty bad ass if you haven't figured it out.  I dropped his name once on a ticket I had with R&S (after he agreed to look into something for me).  The R&S rep gave the impression that Rich had enormous pull inside the company, so we are lucky to have him around.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:50 pm »
Thanks, and I replied.  Rich is pretty bad ass if you haven't figured it out.  I dropped his name once on a ticket I had with R&S (after he agreed to look into something for me).  The R&S rep gave the impression that Rich had enormous pull inside the company, so we are lucky to have him around.
Thanks :) It's an awesome team - I'm fortunate to get to work with them.   :-+

-Rich

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »
Good to see many features that were previously exclusive to 4 quadrant supplies appearing in this format. The current compliance issue noted by the reviewer will limit its appeal for some tasks.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 10:41:48 pm »
Why buy a new phone when you can buy something years old and second hand for a fraction of the price? Different people have different priorities but trying to compare pricing of a brand new and warranted device is not really useful. On the flip side...

Have fun with your GPIB interfaces, automating workflows with faster interfaces can get the job done quicker/more accurately.

Offline pansku

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 04:34:59 am »
So when is The Signal Path review coming  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: genghisnico13

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 11:01:49 am »
So when is The Signal Path review coming  :popcorn:
I've come to realize how much I depend on both the EEVblog and The Signal Path for product information other than just the marketing and dealer material. For most devices it's rather hard to find any decent information.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
How does this compare to a Keithley SMU?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »
Keithley SMUs are 4 quadrant.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 01:44:40 pm »

It is a 2-quadrant power supply vs a 4-quadrant device.  The NGM can be programmed in 1mV or 0.1mA steps.  A typical modern Keithley SMU in contrast can be programmed in 500nV or 500fA steps (although this varies on the model).

They honestly are vastly different tools, and an NGM would be not be a suitable replacement for a SMU imho.  Although if you have something more specific in you are interested in how they compare, I might be able to shed more light on it having worked with related tools.

SMUs can also be fill the following roles within their V/I specs:
Power Supply (so can NGM)
Load (both can sink I, SMU can also sink V)
Voltmeter
Ammeter (less than 100uV burden voltage, so much better than most DMMs)
Ohmeter (this is just a calculation done on sourcing/measuring V/I or I/V)

If you are really interested in a device to do battery simulation, then you need to consider getting both the NGM and a SMU.  You would need a device like an SMU (or something else) to characterize batteries to provide profiles for the NGM to use (if a profile is not already provided).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:07:05 pm by JxR »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 02:11:50 pm »
It is a 2-quadrant power supply vs a 4-quadrant device.  The NGM can be programmed in 1mV or 0.1mA steps.  A typical modern Keithley SMU in contrast can be programmed in 500nV or 500fA steps (although this varies on the model).

They honestly are vastly different tools, and an NGM would be not be a suitable replacement for a SMU imho.  Although if you have something more specific in you are interested in how they compare, I might be able to shed more light on it having worked with related tools.

SMUs can also be fill the following roles within their V/I specs:
Power Supply (so can NGM)
Load (both can sink I, SMU can also sink V)
Voltmeter
Ammeter (less than 100uV burden voltage, so much better than most DMMs)
Ohmeter (this is just a calculation done on sourcing/measuring V/I or I/V)

If you are really interested in a device to do battery simulation, then you need to consider getting both the NGM and a SMU.  You would need a device like an SMU (or something else) to characterize batteries to provide profiles for the NGM to use (if a profile is not already provided).
I'm definitely interested but my wallet disagrees.  :palm:

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:11 pm »
I'm definitely interested but my wallet disagrees.  :palm:

I'm actually very happy with my old Keithley 238 SMU, and you can get the old brown monsters for fairly cheap if your patient.  Not as fancy as the modern ones, but it is actually much more accurate at sourcing current than my 2450 (on the low ranges).

Back on topic, I would love to get an NGM as well and had the opportunity to send my NGL back and wait for the NGM to be released.  But, in the end I couldn't really afford one.  I do have a feeling I might be able to do battery simulation with the NGL and scripting though, although I didn't get a chance to try yet (but will once I get the NGL back from R&S).

Of course if R&S wants to upgrade me while they have my NGL, I would be happy to accept!  ;)

Offline marber

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:55 pm »

What would you need (from a SMU) to characterize batteries that an NGM can't do on its own?

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »
What would you need (from a SMU) to characterize batteries that an NGM can't do on its own?

You need to be able to calculate the battery's total capacity, then the open circuit voltage, and ESR for each percentage level of batteries capacity.  With its separate voltmeter capability I expect the NGM could technically measure the open circuit voltage by pulsing its output on and off since it has relays on the output, but it would probably cause excessive wear on the relays.  That is maybe why they didn't include the capability. You would just use the load voltage, load current, and the open circuit voltage to get the ESR.

There is nothing in the datasheet that suggest it can characterize batteries itself though.

Edit: I believe there are better devices to characterize batteries than SMUs, although I'm not an expert on that.  I mention SMUs because Keithley provides a nice script specifically for doing this characterizations with their modern SMUs (To support their own equipment that does battery simulation).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:49:41 pm by JxR »

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:21 pm »

Well we joked a bit about it, but that is exactly what is happening  ;D:

Quote from: R&S (edited)
Good morning JxR,
I hope this finds you well. A return RMA XXXXXXXXX has been created for you. I have placed an order for a new NGM202 (free of charge) which will ship to you soon. Please return NGL202 SN: XXXXX in your possession once you receive the new unit. Here is the address to ship to....

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf