Author Topic: New Rigol DP900 Series Power Supplies!  (Read 3520 times)

Offline radensbTopic starter

• Contributor
New Rigol DP900 Series Power Supplies!
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:23:55 pm »
I have been looking at programmable PSU's for a long time now and finally settled (or so I thought) on getting a DP832 unit (currently $399 on Amazon) and performing the DP832A upgrade on it. My main gripe with the thing was the common return for CH2 and CH3, but figured keypad (even though circular) was worth the compromise from the Siglent model I was considering (which does have independent channels but can only be set with rotary encoder).

Anyway, I just noticed the Rigol DP932A/U/E units and the updated capabilities, however, third party information is very scares to non-existent even thought these units came out months ago. Of course, my initial thoughts were how exactly the new A/U/E units differ (aside from the marketing specs) and what "upgrade" options could be made available with this new series of products! U models can be upgraded to an A model, but what about E models to A models (minus the digital IO which I assume is physically missing)? DP932E is only $50 more than the DP832, which I think is worth the independent third channel feature by itself. Since Rigol has stated that the U model can be upgraded to the A model, its clear they share identical HW, although I am not a fan of the safety banana jacks on the U...

Anyone purchased and used any DP900 series units yet?? Id love develop this thread with more information on this new series of product, real world comparisons to the DP800 series, and what the "upgrade" possibilities are/could be!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 12:01:04 am by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: tcottle, radensb

Offline radensbTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DP900 Series Power Supplies!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 01:43:28 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dp932u-unlocking/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/integrated-ucurrent-in-new-rigol-dp2031-lab-power-supply!/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-dp2000-and-dp900-series/

Thanks for providing the videos and links. I have seen these before and there doesnt seem to be any conclusive information. In fact, no one ever responded to the last link... :( Sounds like some have ordered these new units and should be able to provide more detailed information soon. As others have commented, It would be great to get images of the front and backs of all three models. The advertisements I have seen so far seem to mix the model images for a single listing, so its difficult to see the exact differences. The first link was the most promising as it addresses one of my main question of upgradability. Hopefully someone can try it soon!

I dont think we will know about the HW differences until someone does a teardown on each unit? All three models are currently available on Amazon. It would be ideal if the A and E models were just SW differences.

Offline Userli

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 05:14:15 pm »
Does somebody know the model of the digital IO connector on the back?

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 08:03:55 pm »
Does somebody know the model of the digital IO connector on the back?

Digital I/O port used in DP900/DP2000 Series Rigol Power Supplies:

WÜRTH ELEKTRONIK SERIE 3253 - 3.81MM HORIZONTAL PCB HEADER WITH FLANGES WR-TBL (5-pin)
WERI PART NO: 691 325 310 005

As a cable connector plug you can use:

SERIE 3633 - 3.81MM HORIZONTAL CABLE ENTRY PLUG SIZE WITH HOOK ON WIRE SIDE - WR-TBL (5-pin)
WERI PART NO: 691 363 310 005
or
SERIE 3653 - 3.81MM HORIZONTAL CABLE ENTRY PLUG WITH FLANGES SCREW & HOOK ON WIRE SIDE - WR-TBL (5-pin)
WERI PART NO: 691 365 310 005

You can try to find them at Mouser Electronics:
https://eu.mouser.com/c/connectors/terminal-blocks/?color=Green&connection%20method=Screw&pitch=3.81%20mm

PS: In my previous post, by mistake, I pointed to the 3,5mm raster instead of 3,81mm.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 09:58:38 am by Xoff »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Userli

Offline Userli

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 02:09:06 pm »
I just received the plug but unfortunately the socket on the PS is the 3.81mm pitch version:

connector würth 691364300005 (WR-TBL Serie 3643 - 3.81 mm Vertical with flanges screw)

Offline wookiee

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 08:34:24 am »
For those who asked to see the front and back of the actual unit. Enjoy!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 08:37:29 pm »
Thank you!  When the supply is lightly loaded, does the fan come on?  If so, how loud is it?  I'm looking for a supply that is, ideally, silent under very light loads.

Offline roy_eedreku

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 12:12:40 pm »
I got this a while ago and the fan is always on. Even on startup. It's not very loud but it is noticeable. Not silent at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf