Author Topic: New Siglent 2104X Plus -A Mistake?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Ray CITopic starter

• Contributor
Re: New Siglent 2104X Plus -A Mistake?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 09:25:38 pm »
If the issue isn't what Rob (Tautech) suggested above about pressing the power button too long at shut off, I would return it and get a new one. The SDS2000XP series is a great scope, but if you've got a bad unit, don't waste more return window time on it.

Yes, thank you...  It's going back.  The vendor (Saelig, https://www.saelig.com/ -Not affiliated with them) has been great.  I sent follow-up email to Siglent North America early this morning and cc'd the vendor.   Siglent NA has gone silent but, the vendor sent an email with an RMA and is also covering return shipping.   They are making the best of an unfortunate situation.  Last week, they mentioned I'm not the first person to have problems like this.   It will go back via UPS in the next 24 hours.

BTW: I have only tried shutting it down via menu and momentary press of the power switch until it says "shutting down" (or words to that effect).  -Was not aware a long press did a hard reset.

Thanks folks...

Ray

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2023, 01:07:21 am »
Yes, thank you...  It's going back.

Bummer--it sounds like you didn't even get to do many scope-y things with it!  I'm just curious, what made you go for the LAN/communications issues first?  I've had mine for awhile and as far as I can remember, this is the first time I've connected it--and I'm relieved to see mine works.  If you got a dud, that happens.  If these problems are widespread or model-wide with the last revision, then Siglent has screwed up a perfectly good scope model and woe unto them. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Ray CI

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2023, 12:07:21 pm »
Yes, thank you...  It's going back.

Bummer--it sounds like you didn't even get to do many scope-y things with it!  I'm just curious, what made you go for the LAN/communications issues first?  I've had mine for awhile and as far as I can remember, this is the first time I've connected it--and I'm relieved to see mine works.  If you got a dud, that happens.  If these problems are widespread or model-wide with the last revision, then Siglent has screwed up a perfectly good scope model and woe unto them.

No, I haven't done any "scope-y" things with the exception of checking probe calibration on C1 and C2 and, verifying the AWG has output.  Well, I did one thing just to make sure the scope was really working...  I have about 150' remaining from a 1000' spool of CAT 6A cable and did a reflection test to measure the length.   Indeed, the reflection time was about 480nS. 

I setup the LAN first because A) I reviewed the quick start guide and user manual before powering on.  B) The LAN indicator displayed a big red X and the Date/Time was not set properly.  It's been a long journey ever since.

Questions for you or anybody else: 

1) Do you have the same model of scope (2104x plus)?
2) What version of software is it running (mine is 1.5.2R3)?
3) What is the hardware version (mine is 05-05)?
4) What is the CPLD version (mine is 05)?
5) Does your Date/Time maintain the Timezone setting properly?

Thanks
Ray
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 01:09:36 pm by Ray CI »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2023, 01:41:11 pm »

I have the 2104X Plus, "improved" to the 2504X Plus.
Software is 1.5.2R3
Hardware version 02-04
CPLD version 03
Date/Time work fine, no issues, but I can't set the timezone though. No idea why, never tried before today. I don't know if that's a bug, or if a different setting is disabling that. I'll just assume it's a bug. 😉

In general, it's a great scope. The only bug that actually bugs me (and they're fixing it, hopefully next version) is the screen capture file name stays on until you close the info box. The next version is supposed to have options to change how that behaves. They're generally good about fixing bugs.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2023, 03:03:55 pm »

I have the 2104X Plus, "improved" to the 2504X Plus.
Software is 1.5.2R3
Hardware version 02-04
CPLD version 03
Date/Time work fine, no issues, but I can't set the timezone though. No idea why, never tried before today. I don't know if that's a bug, or if a different setting is disabling that. I'll just assume it's a bug. 😉

In general, it's a great scope. The only bug that actually bugs me (and they're fixing it, hopefully next version) is the screen capture file name stays on until you close the info box. The next version is supposed to have options to change how that behaves. They're generally good about fixing bugs.

Thank you so much KungFuJosh!

Some more questions (sorry for not asking in the original post)...

Do you use DHCP or statically configured LAN settings?
Is the IP address high-up or low in the subnet range?  (high example w/Class C  x.y.z.200, low example x.y.z.75).

Based on the latest analysis and reading comments in other websites, it's possible:  A) The IP address problems are also happening to other people and B) The configuration recovery glitches are attributed by turning off the device using either long-press or short-press on the power button and C) The Timezone issue is a common problem.

FWIW:  I'm looking at the DHCP exchange on the wire.  Both DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER look proper; however, DHCPREQUEST looks sketchy and I'm not seeing a DHCPACK in some cases.  Also, the Siglent is not passing the hostname in the request sequence.  After clearing the router's tables, I can freely get other IP devices in the house to use the same IP address that the Siglent is choking on.  I can replicate the Siglent issue with two different brands of router.  If I set a pre-configured DHCP object in the router mated to the Siglent MAC addr AND if the pre-configured IP address is in the x.x.x.200 range, the Siglent will work. 

I have not had to resolve a bug in DHCP since 1999 or 2000...  That said, there's little doubt in my mind, this is a Siglent bug.  Since I don't know the Siglent's HW/SW partitioning and overall software/firmware architecture, I have no idea if these bugs are fixable or not.   If they want to send me the code and architecture diagrams, I'll fix it for them -for a small fee.

Ray

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2023, 08:18:52 pm »
FWIW I've had IP conflict issues and setting it higher fixes that.
I use DHCP to initially get everything set then advance higher to a .150+ range.
Timezone has been an ongoing issue although I believe that depends on what is set. In an earlier FW it was a problem and for a while we installed a FW beta before it was publicly released....other models with the same UI are no problem.
Power button behaviour is identical on all models.....remember these are a small PC which of any type need be shut down correctly.

Siglent is always grateful for quality feedback and suggested improvements on any issue.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2023, 08:32:52 pm »
.other models with the same UI are no problem.

HD got the same problem but I´m looking forward it will be gone with the next update.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2023, 08:52:52 pm »
Do you use DHCP or statically configured LAN settings?
Is the IP address high-up or low in the subnet range?  (high example w/Class C  x.y.z.200, low example x.y.z.75).

I use static IPs for stuff like this. For one thing, I control it from my web browser frequently. I have the IP address bookmarked. I don't want DHCP to change it on me and then I have to go look for it. Or why bother setting the IP permanently from the router, if I can just static route it in the first place? My DHCP has a set range, and my static devices are outside of it. It's in the 250 range for the IP.

For example, today I was trying to track down a firmware bug in a test device, and the device is controlled from an app on my computer. Rather than going back and forth from desk to bench, I can sit on my ass and do it all on my split screens. I can even run the scope full screen if I want (27" oscilloscope screen?? yeah, why not).

I understand the desire for all things to function properly, but the DHCP thing is a bug that will eventually be fixed. Same with the timezone thing; it's a known bug, and they'll get to it. On the off chance that the DHCP settings are a hardware bug, that's what the warranty is for. That's less likely though.

Even $20,000 test gear has bugs. It's life. Like I said before, the only bug that bothers me right now is that stupid save file info box. It will certainly be fixed, and until then I can ignore it. Or capture from my web browser which doesn't bring up that info box.

"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2023, 10:33:32 pm »

Thanks for the dialogue folks...  Here are a few comments/replies:

@KungFuJosh

The concept of DHCP and DNS is so you don't have to remember IP addresses and you don't have to worry about duplicating an IP address on more than one device.
Goes like this:
1) Assign a user friendly name at the device's console and enable DHCP.
2) Device boots, discovers DHCP server/router, gets an IP address from the DHCP server/router and also tells the DHCP server/router the assigned name of the device.
3) DHCP on the server/router tells DNS (Domain Name Server) to remember a mapping between the host's name and the currently assigned IP address. The DNS function is done by your local router.  Anytime someone uses that name, DNS will automatically convert the name to an IP address. 
4) From this point on, you can reference the device by name instead of remembering it's static IP address.

e.g.  At the scope's console, I named my scope "SigScope".  If DHCP was working properly, I could reference my scope by name such as:
> ping SigScope
or
https://SigScope/

So, at the current time, I do have this working by creating a statically assigned DHCP mapping in my router and also manually creating a name mapping in the DNS config.   If Siglent fixes their DHCP bug, I'll remove those manual mappings and it will work properly.

Also, well aware that most software has bugs.  I wrote firmware for medical devices and have a very high expectation of quality.   Also wrote firmware for routers whose interface cards cost about $125,000 each.  -Again, known bug count was very, very low.   I'm coming from a Tek2245 and a brief stint with a Hantek 2ch 150Mhz scope.   When the Siglent showed signs of software failure with 35 year old IP protocols, my heart sank.

@Martin72

Thanks for passing that info along.  Good to know I'm not suffering alone.

@tautech:

Again, good to know these problems are not specific to my unit.  I was thinking I had some bad flash memory etc.

Neither the user manual or quick start guide mention any specific behaviors about long/short press with the power switch.  Had I known that, my diagnostic efforts would have been minimized.

I'll send the info I gleaned to the Distributor and he can forward it to Siglent NA.  I'm a little miffed with Siglent NA because they dropped me like a hot potato.  All my emails were cordial and all I asked was if these were known problems.  I was about to return the scope because they did not reply and I didn't want to get stuck with a $2000 lemon (I paid for the power analysis software and AWG license too).   I'll buy the DSO option now that I know what's going on here.

Ray

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2023, 11:47:56 pm »
Remember the IP address? Nah, that's what bookmarks and browser syncing is for. There's more than one way to skin an IP. 😉

Either way should work (in theory), but static is more reliable IME.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf