Author Topic: New Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC architecture  (Read 137521 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
A new and very welcome feature that I've not seen before in Siglent scopes.
User definable Default setup.

How many times have you turned on your DSO to do something quite different from the last time you used it ?
Often I bet.
How long does it take to return channels, trigger settings, delay, input attenuation etc. to some setting you know is an approximate good starting point or do you just punch the Default setup button ?

Oh wait, now the timebase has been set to some setting way off from where you need it and the channel attenuation has be set to the default 1x.  ::)
We all use our probes on 10:1, right ?

Well the X-E has come to our rescue with a simple interface to save ALL OUR favourite Default settings, yep, whatever you like.  :)
Tune your X-E to your favourite settings and follow the syntax below.

Save/Recall button, select Save Type: To Default Key and then toggle the next key to Current Setup and then press Save.

Don't like it, toggle from Current Setup back to Factory Default.
Easy.

Edit.
Just to say this feature does not change any settings at power on boot, it is only to customise Default setup if the user requires their own custom Default settings.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:20:15 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Well lots of scopes have the ability to restore presets so it is not an unprecedented feature. Actually being able to screw up the default settings isn't a very good idea because it usually is the resque button if a scope is doing something completely unexpected.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Default key should be used to set the scope to a well known "default" state.  At boot time, scope should keep the settings it had before shutdown, like Keysight scopes.  If you want to save specific settings, you should be able to store/retrieve settings.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
FYI: In many automated test setups the default command is send first and then the necessary settings are made.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ELKING

I got pre ordered SDS1202X-E today in Slovenia  :-+

Offline ELKING

Can anyone verify if it has the same bright right edge of the LCD screen?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
In terms of UI responsiveness, is the SDS1000X-E better than the Rigol DS1054Z?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Default key should be used to set the scope to a well known "default" state.  At boot time, scope should keep the settings it had before shutdown, like Keysight scopes.  If you want to save specific settings, you should be able to store/retrieve settings.
Agreed.
In the screenshot above I had changed the timebase, vertical positioning and the input attenuation to 10:1 from factory defaults, that's all.

It would be wise to set to Factory defaults first then tweak the scope to your own favourite settings which is the road I took.

There is the full list of Default settings in the manual to refer to should a user stuff something up but with little trouble you can reset to Factory to recover a mistake.
Sure it's not a killer feature but handy as hell for a scope that I'd own. Others might not be bothered with it.

I've not seen any command latency, overall slowness or freezes.
Want it to do something, it doesn't have to think about it,it just does it, no fuss or bother.

:o
Model ?
Not in 2 X-E units I've just checked.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: TK

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Having another look at your pic I can see a reflection from part of the display onto the LCD frame.
When I checked 2 units just now with a magnifying headset at some angles I saw a reflection.
At first I thought it looked the same as yours but less but in close and magnified it is only reflection from the glossy frame around the LCD and not seen at normal viewing angles.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !

Yes, like day and night.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, tek2232, TK

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !

I didn't notice that in the 1102x I had.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline ELKING

This light side edge on right is visible under normal angle and it is disturbing if you have good eyesight ;)
I have other oscilloscopes for example. Rigol and LCD backlight is ok.

When the boot is also visible to the left but later is not as distracting as on the right side of course, if you run a test pattern for testing LCD (blue, red an green color is not visible)

so that the LCD matrix is ok  problem is the backlight in my case :(

I have no luck with Siglent devices in every new device I have some kind of problem  :/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

This light side edge on right is visible under normal angle and it is disturbing if you have good eyesight ;)
I have other oscilloscopes for example. Rigol and LCD backlight is ok.

When the boot is also visible to the left but later is not as distracting as on the right side of course, if you run a test pattern for testing LCD (blue, red an green color is not visible)

so that the LCD matrix is ok  problem is the backlight in my case :(

I have no luck with Siglent devices in every new device I have some kind of problem  :/
I've been handling Siglent's for a few years now and been here for nearly as long and yours is the FIRST mention of this type of problem that I remember.
I have a # of units of several models on hand and I WILL take some time to look into this.
The X-E units I looked at had reflections only from the LCD frame but that is not to say your unit might have some problem. I do not know.
Did you buy it from a local agent ? Can you ask them to check it and report to Siglent ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ELKING

This scope I buy in siglent.eu  from Netherlands not from the local retailer.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
This scope I buy in siglent.eu  from Netherlands not from the local retailer.
You can see Siglent America is watching this too so we together will look deeper into this for you.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KingDD83

I just pulled mine out of the box and made special note to look for the bright edge.

I could kinda see it.  I don't think it was quite as bad as elking's. 
I doubt I would've gave it a second thought if elking wouldn't have posted about it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
I just pulled mine out of the box and made special note to look for the bright edge.

I could kinda see it.  I don't think it was quite as bad as elking's. 
I doubt I would've gave it a second thought if elking wouldn't have posted about it.
That was pretty quick service from Saelig.  :)

Wonder if this bright edge is visible on the unit Dave has ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Here

This is The Oscilloscope, not tool or display for image editing.
I have used it some amount now two days and looked Signal. After I read this comment here about display it was first time when I note this "feature". If no one have noted this perhaps I have never find it or think it. Just totally negligible. Perhaps signal is more important than some minimal cosmetics. Also when I go to look my faces with mirror, more I look more I find that cosmetics have many "errors".

(Image quality is really bad due to room light and long exposure time, but left and right side have this nonsense feature.)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline ELKING

Rf-loop

your picture clearly shows the bright right edge on LCD maybe a little less but see it  ;)

I agree with you that it is important to observe the signal on the screen   8)  cosmetic things are not important
but every time I look at the screen I see that bright edge

:phew: Yeah, maybe I'm really the only one who has noticed this

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
Is it a reflection from the bezel surrounding the display, or internal reflection within the plastic (presumably, but they could use glass) covering the display?

If it is due to a reflective bezel then an easy fix would be to cover the edges with mat tape.  Or if you're keen, disassemble the unit and paint the surfaces.

Offline KingDD83

To me, it definitely looks like backlight bleeding, not a reflection.  But it's a non-issue for me.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
Is it a reflection from the bezel surrounding the display, or internal reflection within the plastic (presumably, but they could use glass) covering the display?

If it is due to a reflective bezel then an easy fix would be to cover the edges with mat tape.  Or if you're keen, disassemble the unit and paint the surfaces.
It is clearly a defect and not a feature.  Why not better ask siglent to recall and fix the scopes?

Offline ELKING

I check again Dave video  SDS1kX-E and others video of SDS1kX  on youtube which has different 8" LCD  and does not light the edges.
Yeah, this is definitely a problem with the backlight with reflections in the edges in this 7" LCD.

I got packed  oscilloscope without protective film on lcd and you guys with a protective film or without?

I sent the email to Siglent.eu and I will see what will be the answer.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:21:00 pm by ELKING »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
I check again Dave video  SDS1kX-E and others video of SDS1kX  on youtube which has different 8" LCD  and does not light the edges.
Yeah, this is definitely a problem with the backlight with reflections in the edges in this 7" LCD.

I got packed  oscilloscope without protective film on lcd and you guys with a protective film or without?

I sent the email to Siglent.eu and I will see what will be the answer.  ;)

No protective film here. Btw, what it can protect... finger print on the glass? Glass surface do not need protective film in such a context.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline KingDD83

There was no protective shipping film on mine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf