Author Topic: Siglent new X model Handheld Scopemeters  (Read 16157 times)

Offline slugrustle

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent new X model Handheld Scopemeters
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2022, 09:36:07 pm »
Has anyone else given an SHS800X or SHS1000X a try?

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2022, 02:50:52 pm »
I would also be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with the SHS X series.

Online symphonystars

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 09:53:37 pm »
Got last month the SHS1202X(was aiming to the 1102X but was out of stock and no eta for restock) to replace my old fluke 105B and so far seems to work quite well.However things i dont really like:

-doesn't save your settings(channels scale,timebase,etc) when you turn it off  but always loads a default config(can be modified) when powered on

-tried to save a csv log into the internal memory but didn't go past "saving 0%" and made the scope completely unresponsive (the clock on the UI didn't freeze tho).I think it tries to warn you about something when you press "save" the first time but only displays an empty dialogue box and if you press "save" again it completely locks up requiring a forced shutdown.

-the continuity function in meter mode is very slow and require about half a second to start beeping after you short the probes

-when you move the trace with the position buttons it goes from small steps to big steps almost instantaneously

The following users thanked this post: tautech, j_omega

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 10:03:09 pm »
Got last month the SHS1202X(was aiming to the 1102X but was out of stock and no eta for restock) to replace my old fluke 105B and so far seems to work quite well.However things i dont really like:

-doesn't save your settings(channels scale,timebase,etc) when you turn it off  but always loads a default config(can be modified) when powered on

-tried to save a csv log into the internal memory but didn't go past "saving 0%" and made the scope completely unresponsive (the clock on the UI didn't freeze tho).I think it tries to warn you about something when you press "save" the first time but only displays an empty dialogue box and if you press "save" again it completely locks up requiring a forced shutdown.

-the continuity function in meter mode is very slow and require about half a second to start beeping after you short the probes

-when you move the trace with the position buttons it goes from small steps to big steps almost instantaneously
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your feedback.

We'll have a SHS820X in a few weeks to check these things out also however this is a brand new product and as yet zero firmware updates are available for it.
Many Siglent products have a Power ON = Last setting....is this not working as expected ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online symphonystars

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2022, 10:50:51 pm »
Hi tautech,

Many Siglent products have a Power ON = Last setting....is this not working as expected ?

i was expecting a behavior like the 2104x-plus but in this case is always Power ON = Default setting  :-//

For explample right now my default settings for channel 1 are 10V/div-DC coupling-BW limit on-Probe x10. If i change them to let's say 500mV/div-AC coupling-BW limit off -Probe x1 and power it off then on the next power on they will go back to 10V/div-DC coupling-BW limit on-Probe x10.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:54:00 pm by symphonystars »

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2022, 11:02:10 pm »

This may be a deal breaker for me. I specifically need that functionality

I believe the older models had this same problem.

One of the previous posts had mentioned problems with the buttons requiring a lot of force. Any thoughts on that matter?

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2022, 11:07:50 pm »

The user manual mentions that saving a CSV file can take a long time. I wonder if the apparent lockup is just the UI freezing while the file is being written. See the attached image. I know that my Rigol scope can take several minutes to save a CSV file.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 11:17:51 pm »
Hi tautech,

i was expecting a behavior like the 2104x-plus but in this case is always Power ON = Default setting  :-//

For explample right now my default settings for channel 1 are 10V/div-DC coupling-BW limit on-Probe x10. If i change them to let's say 500mV/div-AC coupling-BW limit off -Probe x1 and power it off then on the next power on they will go back to 10V/div-DC coupling-BW limit on-Probe x10.
That is certainly a bug !

I'll talk to some ppl.  ;)

For now you should be able to work around it by using a User Default setting however it won't return last used settings but it should at very least return some settings that are close to how you would normally use the thing.

All recent Siglent scopes have a User Default which you can find in the Save/Recall menu.
I'd advise to use Factory Default first then make the settings you wish after boot and then save as a User default.
Then, after boot hit Default and those settings should be returned.

Report how that works for you.   :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:19:25 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online symphonystars

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 11:38:35 pm »
The user manual mentions that saving a CSV file can take a long time. I wonder if the apparent lockup is just the UI freezing while the file is being written. See the attached image. I know that my Rigol scope can take several minutes to save a CSV file.

No i'm quite sure the lockup was not apparent since nothing changed even after 20-30 min.Also i didn't have any problem saving a 1.2Mpts CSV when a usb pendrive was plugged.

One of the previous posts had mentioned problems with the buttons requiring a lot of force. Any thoughts on that matter?

At least on mine they require a normal amount of force(maybe just a bit more on the double buttons) 

For now you should be able to work around it by using a User Default setting however it won't return last used settings but it should at very least return some settings that are close to how you would normally use the thing.

All recent Siglent scopes have a User Default which you can find in the Save/Recall menu.
I'd advise to use Factory Default first then make the settings you wish after boot and then save as a User default.

thanks,

i can confirm with that now it boots with the settings i saved as default  :-+

for now i can live with this bug but i'll be happy if a future firmware will fix it among other fixes/improvements  :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2022, 08:49:51 am »
From tautech

thanks,

i can confirm with that now it boots with the settings i saved as default  :-+

for now i can live with this bug but i'll be happy if a future firmware will fix it among other fixes/improvements  :)
Further, you can save a Setup to be recalled at anytime.
See P160
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/download/22_05_17/SHS800X&SHS1000X_UserManual_EN01B.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2022, 08:00:16 am »
SHS820X arrived today and just in time to be demo'ed to a customer that has need for a portable device.  :phew:

Only had a few minutes to play with it thus far and already see some issues that need taking up with the SHS product manager that we're very lucky to be given direct access to.
Those issues....nothing that some FW crafting can't solve and also have a small list of feature requests.

The list so far from previous posts: (thanks folks, keep them coming)
Last settings not returned at boot < this is a serious bug IMO.
Better/faster continuity tester
CSV save problems/bug
Encoder algorithm improvements needed < saw this first hand today also.

A new FW version is apparently in the build and we've asked for a beta to check advances and maybe offer feature requests.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: j_omega, symphonystars

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2022, 11:33:29 am »
Mine should be here at the end of August. I already have a bunch of field work queued up for when it arrives.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »
Playing with some as yet undocumented stuff......ie, not in the manuals yet !

These handhelds have 2 USB connections under a side cover, one USB-A for memory sticks for screenshots and logging and the other a Micro USB I think for connection to a PC and the unit is supplied with this ~1m long cable.

New SHS X models connect just fine with EasyScopeX for the various features it offers however some functionality used with the EasyScopeX Virtual panel is not yet working as it should and some of the programming is badly busted !  :o
I do like how the virtual encoders can be adjusted with a mouse scroll wheel however I didn't say they worked correctly.  |O
Anyways, a snap of the Virtual panel overlaid on the EasyScopeX window from where you launch it....but now very different after the new EasyScopeX version with full SHS X model support. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:31:02 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2022, 11:20:01 am »
Beta FW and a new version of EasyScopeX has arrived to assess.
FW installed and reboot status checked.....last used settings are now returned at boot !  :clap:

Several checks to do and a report to file of findings and possible feature requests.
Too late to do more today but it already looks promising.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: j_omega, symphonystars

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2022, 11:29:04 pm »
My SHS1000X arrived today. Its going to see some immediate use in the lab and field. I will report back soon.

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2022, 08:06:12 am »
Noticed the first strange behavior tonight while doing some signal integrity analysis. When looking at an underdamped logic edge, I noticed erroneous negative spikes at certain vertical offset levels.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:07:49 am by j_omega »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 08:14:21 am »
Noticed the first strange behavior tonight while doing some signal integrity analysis. When looking at an underdamped logic edge, I noticed erroneous negative spikes at certain vertical offset levels.
You may be overdriving the ADC by exceeding the offset limits, check the datasheet.
To avoid being trapped by this again keep the waveform amplitude on the display confines OR use the Vertical Reference setting in the Utility menu.

Found a bug in mine today, now reported to the PM.
User error.  :palm:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:47:36 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 01:39:33 pm »
You may be overdriving the ADC by exceeding the offset limits, check the datasheet.
To avoid being trapped by this again keep the waveform amplitude on the display confines OR use the Vertical Reference setting in the Utility menu.

Found a bug in mine today, now reported to the PM.
User error.  :palm:

I would not consider this normal behavior by any means. I have used a wide variety of Agilent and Tektronix scopes at work. A input larger than the window range should never result in an erroneous value, even if it is outside of the ADC range.

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2022, 02:05:00 pm »
I should clarify, the erroneous value is this large negative spike

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2022, 02:47:17 pm »
Looks like an integer overflow...

Offline j_omega

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2022, 03:26:33 pm »

I was thinking the same...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2022, 10:38:58 pm »
Some simple Decode tests with the beta firmware and STB-3.
Trigger settings only using a timeout to prevent retriggering within a packet.
UART and LIN as attached.

More later.

I was thinking the same...
I'll try to replicate your findings with the beta FW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2022, 07:49:35 am »
Further investigation/learning of the SHS X
FFT Max Hold
10 KHz 200mV sinewave ex SDG6202X.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 08:17:14 am »
More SHS X series investigations.
Simple I2C decode.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline oewean

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2022, 11:52:24 am »
New firmware for SHS800X and SHS1000X series released today: 1.1.20
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/handheld-oscilloscopes/

Release notes:
1. Optimize power consummation while enable the DMM
2. Optimize save/recall user’s interface’
3. Optimize ADC interleave noise on SHS1000X models
4. Optimize response of the horizontal and vertical position button
5. Support remote control by using EasyscopeX version P22
6. Fixed several bugs
a) User’s configuration not saved after power cycle’
b) Some display and control bugs under DMM
c) Device frozen while saving large CSV files to local memory
d) Some bugs in roll mode

Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

The following users thanked this post: symphonystars

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf