Author Topic: NI GPIB-USB-HS - Issues  (Read 1984 times)

Offline ordnitTopic starter

NI GPIB-USB-HS - Issues
« on: August 05, 2021, 06:10:05 am »
Hi there,
as you can see from the subject, I'm struggling with this interface. On May 2020, as I was studying Labview, I managed to use the interface with an Agilent multimeter to perform some easy monitoring tasks. After one year, I connected the interface to the instrument but was unable to access it.
NI MAX shows the interface correctly and self test is performed without any issue. As I "scan for instruments" I get a "No instruments were found during the instrument scan". Same problems I have if I connect the interface to an Agilent counter.
May be the interface that "has died" on the GPIB side?

NI I/O trace screenshot is attached.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards.1242287-0

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NI GPIB-USB-HS - Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:03:13 am »
Yes, you may have some gpib side problems.
Has the NI interface always worked well before?
Have you tried to change the gpib cable?
Do you have another Instrument to try?

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 08:53:04 pm »
I second the suggestions of trying a different cable and instrument. I have used GPIB-USB-HS for many years (I have a few) with no issues. I've used them with LabVIEW and other software. I find that they "just work". I've given up on using HP and other brands of USB-GPIB devices. Way too many problems getting them working.  I have often found that the scan doesn't find everything. But if things are connected properly and the unit is working it will respond. Most new instruments respond to *IDN?. If things aren't working at all I usually try a different cable or instrument to perform a sanity check. If you don't have another cable or instrument, that suggestion doesn't help much. With LabVIEW, I have had cases where things stopped working and I had to quit LabVIEW and restart it to make it work again (more often with Ethernet connections than GPIB).

If LabVIEW isn't working right, I'll try it with a C program which uses NI VISA (the same thing LabVIEW uses). I've attached the c program I use. I compile with gcc. To compile in a command window (PC) I type:

gcc visa.c -l:"C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\lib\msc\visa32.lib" -o visa

this assumes the default directory for the 32 bit VISA install on a Windows machine. I've also attached a visa_find program. The exe.zip contains compiled versions from my 64 bit Win10 machine. You'll have to recompile to run on Win32bit. I use the CodeBlocks install to get gcc, but don't use the Codeblocks IDE; I just compile from the command line.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 10:50:11 am »
Thank you all for support and help.

This morning I made a test with another instrument: I have two 34401A "the twins". The first one was not working and not recognized by NI MAX. The one I tested
this morning worked like a charm. It was detected by the software. I could not test it in deep as I had to face a black-out at workplace but this means that the
interface is working. As soon as I come back from holidays, I'll try to resolve the issue I have with the other twin and with the counter 53131A which is the device I need to control.

Thank you for software, I'll give it a try.

Best regards.

Re: NI GPIB-USB-HS - Issues - SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:58 pm »
Hi there,
long story short: it was my mistake.

When I attached the NI adapter to the counter, I notice it was somewhat "loose". So I tighten the screws and made my software tests. No good. Being quite out of ideas, I took an old and dusty GPIB cable and connected the adapter to the female cable connector. Automagically, the counter was clearly visible on labview and I was able to get data from it. So it was a mechanical problem: the GPIB interface is too thick to mate with the counter. A lot of time lost, a new lesson learned: problems are not only in software, debug them starting from physical layer! :D

Thank you for your help.
Best regards!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf