Author Topic: OEM for this Lucas YWB208 automotive DMM please?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline shakalnokturnTopic starter

• Super Contributor
OEM for this Lucas YWB208 automotive DMM please?
« on: October 01, 2019, 06:59:10 pm »
Smells ISO-Tech like to me, anyone know better?
How much would you pay for one in good condition?
Thanks

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
Re: OEM for this Lucas YWB208 automotive DMM please?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 12:00:35 am »
No help on OEM, but how many cylinders can it handle?  I mean, most are 4 through 8 cyl.  Been looking for a decent one that can handle checking the rpm on a small 1 or 2 cyl engine.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 12:17:05 am »
No help on OEM, but how many cylinders can it handle?  I mean, most are 4 through 8 cyl.  Been looking for a decent one that can handle checking the rpm on a small 1 or 2 cyl engine.
See this thread for some ideas:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/read-rpms-directly-from-dso-math-functions/

Typically all single cylinder spark each revolution so we’d just halve the reading for a twin.
If you can afford it go for a quality wireless tacho.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline shakalnokturnTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 02:18:40 am »

Going O.T. to mechanics, correct me if I'm wrong I've done less mechanics than electronics: 4 stroke engine no matter number of cylinders, looking at a single cylinder 0.5 ignitions/revolution. 2 stroke engine no matter number of cylinders, looking at a single cylinder 1 ignition/revolution.
The quick way is to monitor the TDC sensor where you usually have 1 pulse/revolution.

Why would you want a multimeter to handle 2,3,4,5,6,8,12 cylinders? If you're into solving timing problems the minimum you want is an oscilloscope.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:22:09 am by shakalnokturn »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 02:33:06 am »

Going O.T. to mechanics, correct me if I'm wrong I've done less mechanics than electronics: 4 stroke engine no matter number of cylinders, looking at a single cylinder 0.5 ignitions/revolution.
So you might think but no, they spark each revolution as the flywheel magnets pass the ignition coils.
Even single cylinder with a typical 12V ignition coil the points open each revolution.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:13:10 am »
Lucas - "The inventor of darkness" ;D

Why would you see rpm on the meter? Not a very useful measurement.

Cars have been using the wasted spark for ages. How ever, many seems to switch to coil on plug, which only fires when necessary.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 05:41:57 am »

Tuning idle speed on carby.

The following users thanked this post: totalnoob

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 11:54:53 am »

Tuning idle speed on carby.

This.  And the point about a wasted spark is true, which is why a multimeter that takes that into account is a better option when all you need is the rpm, vs calculating it from the frequency.  I have a contact tachometer that I can easily use on a "lawnmower" engine on the bench, but if I'm working on a motorcycle, scooter, moped or any engine on a "vehicle" I may not have easy access to the crankshaft even for a non-contact tachometer.  Ironically, I have no use for an automotive multimeter for working on cars, mainly off-road equipment (hence why I put quotes on "vehicle"), so the higher cyl. ranges are not needed.  I don't want to have to disassemble my'81 Honda Passport scooter engine, for example, just to measure what the rpm is, and no it does not already have a built-in tach, all it has is a speedo. 

Edit to add:  All due apologies to the OP, I did not mean for this to take your thread on a tangent.  I was hoping you had the specs and if you knew what the minimum # of cylinders is for this meter.  BTW, I cannot find this meter anywhere, even a website that purports to be Lucas's. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:57:08 am by totalnoob »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf