Author Topic: Oh NO! I'm never buying any Agilent Keysight equipment ever again!  (Read 72931 times)

Offline bsgdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi guys!

I must confess that right now Im really pissed at Keysight. I mean really pissed. Please take a moment to read what happened, I'll try to sum it up so you dont get bored.

Last year my DSO2024A refused to turn on. I bought this brand new at Farnell and it was still within warranty. I sent it in to Keysight for repair, they told me it was impossible to repair the scope and sent me a replacement one. Great!

Then I was out of the country and the replacement scope sat unused for 5 months (I just turned it on once to make sure it was fine), and during hat period the warranty expired. When I finally got back and decided to use the equipment, it turned on fine, but after around 40 minutes of operation, all channels become noisy and a message pops up on the screen saying the scope encountered a PLL error and should be serviced. WTF?

I called Keysight and sent it in for repair. Now I just got a bill of $1.980,00 FOR REPAIR. Yes, thats almost 2 thousand dollars to get it repaired.

I have tried to talk to everyone I could at Keysight but they insist I must pay this and theres no other way around it. I'm still shocked and have absolutely no idea on what to do.

I havent been lucky with Agilent/Keysight at all. In the last 3 years, this is the thrid time a brand new equipment fails on me, while my Tektronix and Fluke stuff just lasts forever.

:--

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, pxl

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: Oh NO! I'm never buying any Agilent Keysight equipment ever again!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 09:07:10 pm »
Well, some Keysight instruments can fail in five years or so.  :(
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »
Shit that sounds like a raw deal.  :o

We see your post has been thanked...wonder if they have some similar experiences to share.  :scared:

Somebody had better warn Carlos.  ;)

We have Daniel from Keysight on the forum, maybe this thread can be bought to his attention for his input.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 01:02:09 am »
You can always buy a rigol scope and save on nasty PLL error message. Rigol PLL not working right from the factory, the difference is  they do not tell you that. So yeah, that is the reason so many happy rigol owners on the forum.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 01:14:04 am »
Standard 5 year warranty? Or is this limited to certain countries?

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:30:08 am »
That is really frustrating.

One of the things I asked Rigol was how much it would cost to repair the DS4014 I was thinking about buying when it was out of warranty one day.

They told me back in 2014 that out of warranty service was:

It is $250 or 10% of the purchase price, whichever is greater.. plus shipping to/from our repair office in Cleveland, OH.

I've never tested it, and I don't know if it has changed since then, but it sounded reasonable.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:35:03 am »
Are DSO2024A a Rigoletto OEM?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:40:41 am »
I called Keysight and sent it in for repair. Now I just got a bill of $1.980,00 FOR REPAIR. Yes, thats almost 2 thousand dollars to get it repaired.

:wtf:
An MSO2024 from Keysight is only $2150!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Premium-Used-MSOX2024A-Oscilloscope-200MHz-4-8-Ch-Agilent-MSOX2024A-/182061917028?hash=item2a63bc6364:g:2lcAAOSwzgRW1hK5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 03:36:54 am »
Well, some Keysight instruments can fail in five years or so.  :(

The problem is that my U3606 failed within 6 months and then again after 2 years. This DSO2024A failed twice also (I believe warranty here is 3 years but Im not 100% sure, have to check - bad memory). I checked and warranty is ONLY 3 YEARS here.

Shit that sounds like a raw deal.  :o

We see your post has been thanked...wonder if they have some similar experiences to share.  :scared:

Somebody had better warn Carlos.  ;)

We have Daniel from Keysight on the forum, maybe this thread can be bought to his attention for his input.  :-\

I do hope Daniel chimes in. I currently run a company and have more than 30 scopes right now. None of my Tektronix ever failed, and I do have some REALLY old models! I'm really not buying any stuff from Keysight as I dont wanna loose that much money in such a short time, with such a bad customer support.

Standard 5 year warranty? Or is this limited to certain countries?

Not 5 years, I believe its 2 or 3 years. Wair a second let me check... YES, 3 YEARS ONLY HERE. >:(

:wtf:
An MSO2024 from Keysight is only $2150!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Premium-Used-MSOX2024A-Oscilloscope-200MHz-4-8-Ch-Agilent-MSOX2024A-/182061917028?hash=item2a63bc6364:g:2lcAAOSwzgRW1hK5

YES Dave! Thats why I'm so pissed. Such a high repair price is just RIDICULOUS, especially if you consider that this is a (defective) replacement unit!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 03:46:45 am »
I would also like to explain a little more about myself so you guys know why I'm so pissed.

I run a company down here and I have around 40 Fluke meters (mostly 87Vs), 30 scopes (mostly Tektronix), and a huge number of other testing equipment - RF generators, Spectrum Analyzers, many arbitrary waveform generators etc. I have thousands and thousands invested in test equipment, ALL from reputable brands like Fluke, Keysight, Tektronix, LeCroy, etc. No cheap chinese stuff.

None of my equipment ever failed on me, except for the ones from Keysight. I recently started replacing my Tektronix scopes for Keysight models, but I terribly regret it. I even got a quote for 4 brand new scopes from Keysight which I was about to get next week, but luckly I didnt pay for them yet and will not do so. I will not go on with Keysight, considering all that just happened. I really believe I should stick with Teltronix. Maybe they dont have all the fancy stuff Keysight has but I know that they are VERY, VERY RELIABLE over the years and customer support is much, much better from my experience.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 06:01:44 am »
I run a company down here
Just to complete the story, that is Brazil? And also the Keysight office/rep you dealt with was in Brazil?

So no call from Keysight when they diagnosed the issue and forecasted an expensive repair. to ask whether you wanted to proceed with it?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 10:14:11 am »
You can always buy a rigol scope and save on nasty PLL error message.

Sheesh... sure, right... because this thread is all about you and your unhappiness with a particular brand.

Rigol PLL not working right from the factory, the difference is  they do not tell you that.

Perhaps on your DSO. On my Rigol, the PLL works perfectly well enough to provide me with accurate, repeatable measurements that generate income for me. It's a pity your's does not.

So yeah, that is the reason so many happy rigol owners on the forum.

The overwhelming majority of Rigol owners knew what they were spending money on and are clearly fine with their purchase. If they wanted to spend hundreds / thousands more on better designed, more tightly quality-controlled and assembled, better supported DSOs, they would do so.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:16:02 am by marmad »

The following users thanked this post: Teneyes, BillyD, BlueBill, nomadd

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 10:42:12 am »
If the local support sucks then it is better to go for another brand.
@bsgd: I'd try to find out whether Lecroy support is better.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: nomadd

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 11:04:12 am »
Why are you talking to keysight ?

Your contract is with Farnell, not Keysight.

I suggest you talk to Farnell.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 11:48:39 am »
maybe you are getting from source that collects rejects and pass it back to you, maybe you are the minority that are unfortunate, istr Rigol seemed to have this sort of issue, but majority of people have no issue... although what is certain, $2K repair bill is a rip off (same price as buying new unit). my usual respond will be, i'll keep the $2K bill for buying new other brand... let them keep the broken unit, and never ever going back to the brand... and warn people out lout like in this thread..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 12:54:12 pm »

Unfortunately, that's not how it works in the America's it seems (not much in the way of consumer protections v. the UK).

Most often, a buyer only has a short window of time to deal with the reseller (whatever their return period is per reseller's policy rather than law). After that, you have to deal with the manufacturer directly for warranty support.

And since he lives in Brazil, I'd be surprised if Farnell would honor any warranty exchange in this case (i.e. no legal obligation to do so).  :--

At this point, his best bet is likely to contact Keysight's US Headquarters and see if he gets the right individual he can make a case to on the phone (i.e. CS agent overrides the expired warranty or at least offers a much lower repair cost).

Personally, I'd also recommend checking into LeCroy's products and CS record in Brazil given the multiple poor experiences.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 01:10:19 pm »
I run a company down here
Just to complete the story, that is Brazil? And also the Keysight office/rep you dealt with was in Brazil?

Yes, Brazil, and I sent the scope to Keysight Brazil located in São Paulo.

So no call from Keysight when they diagnosed the issue and forecasted an expensive repair. to ask whether you wanted to proceed with it?

No call. They just sent me an e-mail asking for $2K to get it repaired.

If the local support sucks then it is better to go for another brand.
@bsgd: I'd try to find out whether Lecroy support is better.

I never had to deal with LeCroy support (which is a great thing!) but will certainly look that up! Now I'll have to choose a new scope brand for my next purchases.

As someone else mentioned, that's not how things work down here. Farnell would never help at all and to make things worse, Farnell Brazil closed down a year ago.

maybe you are getting from source that collects rejects and pass it back to you, maybe you are the minority that are unfortunate, istr Rigol seemed to have this sort of issue, but majority of people have no issue... although what is certain, $2K repair bill is a rip off (same price as buying new unit). my usual respond will be, i'll keep the $2K bill for buying new other brand... let them keep the broken unit, and never ever going back to the brand... and warn people out lout like in this thread..

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing. I would love to get some help from Keysight, or at least some understanding that what they are doing makes absolutely no sense. But since they dont seem to understand that, I'd like to get everyone to know about the situation, so they know what might happen to them if they ever buy Keysight stuff.

I'm terribly surprised at how Keysight does not care at all about his customers, ate least down here. Really, I've never had such a bad customer support experience in my whole life!! :-- :-- :-- :--

Unfortunately, that's not how it works in the America's it seems (not much in the way of consumer protections v. the UK).

Most often, a buyer only has a short window of time to deal with the reseller (whatever their return period is per reseller's policy rather than law). After that, you have to deal with the manufacturer directly for warranty support.

And since he lives in Brazil, I'd be surprised if Farnell would honor any warranty exchange in this case (i.e. no legal obligation to do so).  :--

At this point, his best bet is likely to contact Keysight's US Headquarters and see if he gets the right individual he can make a case to on the phone (i.e. CS agent overrides the expired warranty or at least offers a much lower repair cost).

Personally, I'd also recommend checking into LeCroy's products and CS record in Brazil given the multiple poor experiences.

You are completely right! Maybe I should contact someone over in US? I do know my scope's warranty is expired, but I certainly expect Keysight to replace the defective unit they sent me while the warranty was about to expire. It even makes me wonder if they just sent me a bad unit since they knew my warranty was about to expire in a few days!!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:13:59 pm by bsgd »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
You are completely right! Maybe I should contact someone over in US? I do know my scope's warranty is expired, but I certainly expect Keysight to replace the defective unit they sent me while the warranty was about to expire. It even makes me wonder if they just sent me a bad unit since they knew my warranty was about to expire in a few days!!
Who did you actually send the scope to/got the replacements from?
Was it actually a Keysight facility or a 3rd party?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »
Hi guys!

I must confess that right now Im really pissed at Keysight. I mean really pissed. Please take a moment to read what happened, I'll try to sum it up so you dont get bored.

Last year my DSO2024A refused to turn on. I bought this brand new at Farnell and it was still within warranty. I sent it in to Keysight for repair, they told me it was impossible to repair the scope and sent me a replacement one. Great!

Then I was out of the country and the replacement scope sat unused for 5 months (I just turned it on once to make sure it was fine), and during hat period the warranty expired. When I finally got back and decided to use the equipment, it turned on fine, but after around 40 minutes of operation, all channels become noisy and a message pops up on the screen saying the scope encountered a PLL error and should be serviced. WTF?

I have tried to talk to everyone I could at Keysight but they insist I must pay this and theres no other way around it. I'm still shocked and have absolutely no idea on what to do.

I havent been lucky with Agilent/Keysight at all. In the last 3 years, this is the thrid time a brand new equipment fails on me, while my Tektronix and Fluke stuff just lasts forever.

Check out the consumer laws in your country. Here in the UK that sort of shit would be illegal. Irrespective of the warranty period, a piece of equipment should last for a reasonable length of time, given the price paid for it. It isn't acceptable to have a sort warranty period and not do anything if it fails, past the warranty.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 01:33:21 pm »
I think you need to checks terms of warranty and your local regulations. For example in Poland in case a product is replaced with a new unit, the warranty starts from zero and lasts for 2 years. Check this in your local regulations, because not restarting the warranty when u in fact got a brand new equipment doesn't make sense.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 01:35:42 pm »
Hi guys!

Check out the consumer laws in your country. Here in the UK that sort of shit would be illegal. Irrespective of the warranty period, a piece of equipment should last for a reasonable length of time, given the price paid for it. It isn't acceptable to have a sort warranty period and not do anything if it fails, past the warranty.

Hero999, good idea, I will take to my lawyer about this and if possible, I may even take this to court, just because I dont want Keysight to keep doing this to other people. This is not a good company practice.

Our consumer laws down here are pretty lame and I believe the warranty only extends 30 days in cases like mine, and I do think Keysight here is taking advantage of this to try to get money from its customers (and also make them terribly unhappy!!!!)

I think you need to checks terms of warranty and your local regulations. For example in Poland in case a product is replaced with a new unit, the warranty starts from zero and lasts for 2 years. Check this in your local regulations, because not restarting the warranty when u in fact got a brand new equipment doesn't make sense.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

Yes, I know its 2 years for Europe, but I suppose only 30 days down here! Anyway, I will talk to my laywer later today as I'll  meet him anyway.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »

I have just sent an e-mail to Keysight US about my problem, using their general support page. If anyone has any contacts there or an e-mail address which might help me, please let me know!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »

I have just sent an e-mail to Keysight US about my problem, using their general support page. If anyone has any contacts there or an e-mail address which might help me, please let me know!
That might work, but you'd be far better off to pick up the phone on Monday during their business hours and call them IMHO.

It's just too easy to say NO in an email rather than speaking with an actual human (or better yet, in person when possible). You may not even get an answer via email (that's been my experience with
Agilent/Keysight), but always got positive results via a phone call.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »

Here's the Daniel from Keysight that I mentioned earlier:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=114509
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bsgd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

That might work, but you'd be far better off to pick up the phone on Monday during their business hours and call them IMHO.

It's just too easy to say NO in an email rather than speaking with an actual human (or better yet, in person when possible). You may not even get an answer via email (that's been my experience with
Agilent/Keysight), but always got positive results via a phone call.

Problem is that I'm in Brazil and international calls down here are VERY pricey, even using Skype. But I may call them anyway because yes, talking to a real person does make a difference.

When you say that somentimes Keysight doesnt even care to reply to a customer's e-mail makes me even more worried about this company and my situation!!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf