Author Topic: Oh NO! I'm never buying any Agilent Keysight equipment ever again!  (Read 73308 times)

Offline bsgdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Oh NO! I'm never buying any Agilent Keysight equipment ever again!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »

I have just sent an e-mail to Keysight US about my problem, using their general support page. If anyone has any contacts there or an e-mail address which might help me, please let me know!
Here's the Daniel from Keysight that I mentioned earlier:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=114509

Thank you, I will try to contact him!!

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 02:33:20 pm »
Yes, I know its 2 years for Europe, but I suppose only 30 days down here!
Keysight warranty is 5 years in US, 2 years in Europe, 30 days in Brazil. Very strange.
Similar thing; Rigol support in US is good, but in other countries is crap. hmmm
I wonder if the reason is the company or the country?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 03:11:23 pm »
Keysight warranty is 5 years in US, 2 years in Europe, 30 days in Brazil. Very strange.
Similar thing; Rigol support in US is good, but in other countries is crap. hmmm
It definitely could be the country. It helps to do some research into a dealer before buying from them. Recently I bought an RC controlled car for one of my kids. I ended up buying the car from Italy through Ebay because the local NL dealer for those particular cars had a long list of customer complaints on various fora.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 03:19:38 pm »
Problem is that I'm in Brazil and international calls down here are VERY pricey, even using Skype. But I may call them anyway because yes, talking to a real person does make a difference.

When you say that somentimes Keysight doesnt even care to reply to a customer's e-mail makes me even more worried about this company and my situation!!!!!
What about using a calling card?

Regarding the email, I suspect some get lost due to the shear volume that comes in, and mine was one that fell through the cracks (sent to a general address, not an individual). Made initial contact by phone since. Stuff sent to specific individuals' company account is a different matter however IME. Obviously YMMY, with your geographical location playing a considerable role in one's experience.  :(

And as a previous poster linked Daniel from Agilent's profile, you might try sending him a PM first to save on a phone call. Worth a shot at any rate.  ;)

For the record, I'm not angry with them regarding my CS experiences or the equipment, as each case resulted in a positive outcome when it was concluded (what I did have to pay for was reasonably priced; totally my fault & knew it  :-[  |O). But I've only dealt with the US office, and not since they split from Agilent. Which I suspect was the biggest factor in my experiences. 

Good luck, and I hope you get a satisfactory conclusion.  :popcorn:

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 04:02:55 pm »
Hi folks,

This just sounds wrong, let me dig into it on Monday when I'm back in the office and get things straightened out. A repair just shouldn't cost that much for a scope like this. In this case, I'll try to get the warranty extended.

P.S. Warranty is 5yrs on 2k scopes worldwide, 3 yrs on other models.

The following users thanked this post: bsgd, thm_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »

I would say both. Brazil does have bad consumer protection laws and companies take advantage of that. What they dont realize is that by making customers unhappy they end up loosing market share and allowing space for other companies to grow and take their share. Thats whats happening here! Companies with great customer care here ALWAYS suceed while the others fail miserably.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 04:08:47 pm »
Hi folks,

This just sounds wrong, let me dig into it on Monday when I'm back in the office and get things straightened out. A repair just shouldn't cost that much for a scope like this. In this case, I'll try to get the warranty extended.

Daniel, thank you very much! I have just checked the Warranty Check Status page from Keysight and it clearly stated that mu warranty was only 3 years. Im replying from my iphone, but will post a picture of the page as soon as I get home.

Anyway, thank you very much for looking into this!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 04:44:32 pm »
Hi folks,

Daniel,

Here it goes. I have attached both the quotation from Keysight and the Warranty Status for my DSOX2024A. If worldwide warranty is really 5 years, there is something wrong here, as the page clearly states warranty period was only 3 years.

The repair quotation is in BRL - Brazilian Reais - and the conversion rate is around 3.50. Total was $7.031,54 BRL which corresponds to $2.009,01 USD.

This is just a print screen of the final repair price as the document contains a lot of personal information. If you want, I can send the PDF to you.

Thanks again!

Offline botcrusher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 05:05:04 pm »
Welp, somone is going to be in trouble now... Go get em daniel!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 05:15:44 pm »
Welp, somone is going to be in trouble now...

I wonder how it would have turned out without this forum...  :popcorn:

Offline 1xrtt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
bgsd,
I don't think Brazilian consumer laws are that bad...

Please look at this link: http://www.idec.org.br/consultas/codigo-de-defesa-do-consumidor/capitulo-iv, "SEÇÃO IV Da Decadência e da Prescrição", article 26. The law grants you a 90 day warranty, independent of the contractual warranty from the vendor. That means it sits on top of Keysight warranty.
Although Daniel still needs to clear why you only have 3 years of contractual warranty, if worlwide it is 5 years, you can check and see if you still have this 90 day valid. The catch may be in this paragraph:

"     § 3° Tratando-se de vício oculto, o prazo decadencial inicia-se no momento em que ficar evidenciado o defeito."

A free translation: If this is a hidden defect, the 90 day legal warranty starts to count at the moment the defect was perceived.
I am not a lawyer, so I suggest you talk to one, and with the local Procon on your city.

If all warranty options are now void, Keysight can only charge you if you agreed with the repair terms. If not, they must return you the device in the same condition.
Also, note that the law specifies a maximum 30 day time to effectively repair the device.  This is where a lawyer can help you. An interpretation may be that the original repair is not completed yet, as you received a replacement, and this replacement also failed. But again, don't take my word here, seek legal advice.

The following users thanked this post: bsgd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 08:27:02 pm »
Welp, somone is going to be in trouble now... Go get em daniel!

I dont wanna get anyone in trouble, but I DO WANT KEYSIGHT to learn how to corectly treat their customers.

Welp, somone is going to be in trouble now...

I wonder how it would have turned out without this forum...  :popcorn:

Well, this is what I know: if this is the kind of support Im getting from Keysight, I will certainly tell all my engineer friends to stay away from this brand on their next purchases!
I have worked for Fiat Chrysler for 5 years at the test equiment area and they will certainly hear about my case. One of my ex colleagues already know about it cause we met yesterday and I told him about the situation.

Folks, I would like to add that Daniel was VERY KIND and sent me a PM asking for all the documents and e-mails exchanged with Keysight. He has all the information and now I will wait to see what happens. He seems really interested in helping me, and I really appreciate that.

bgsd,

Please look at this link: http://www.idec.org.br/consultas/codigo-de-defesa-do-consumidor/capitulo-iv, "SEÇÃO IV Da Decadência e da Prescrição", article 26. The law grants you a 90 day warranty, independent of the contractual warranty from the vendor. That means it sits on top of Keysight warranty.
Although Daniel still needs to clear why you only have 3 years of contractual warranty, if worlwide it is 5 years, you can check and see if you still have this 90 day valid. The catch may be in this paragraph:

"     § 3° Tratando-se de vício oculto, o prazo decadencial inicia-se no momento em que ficar evidenciado o defeito."

A free translation: If this is a hidden defect, the 90 day legal warranty starts to count at the moment the defect was perceived.
I am not a lawyer, so I suggest you talk to one, and with the local Procon on your city.

If all warranty options are now void, Keysight can only charge you if you agreed with the repair terms. If not, they must return you the device in the same condition.
Also, note that the law specifies a maximum 30 day time to effectively repair the device.  This is where a lawyer can help you. An interpretation may be that the original repair is not completed yet, as you received a replacement, and this replacement also failed. But again, don't take my word here, seek legal advice.

I will talk to my lawyer today as coincidently its his birthday and there will be a party at his house. Anyway, I WAS NOT AWARE of that and I really appreciate pointing that out to me. From what I read, Keysight is refusing to repair the equipment but I guess the law is by my side and they may have to do it if I go to court, and I will certainly do so! This is great news, cause I believe I can take this further if needed be. Thanks 1xrtt!

On monday I will go to Procon (our consumer regulation institution in Brazil) and talk to someone there as they may also give me some good advice on how to proceed with this.

Offline botcrusher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 08:31:13 pm »
Personally, I'd wait until Daniel gets back to you before you get too gung ho on legal action....

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »
Personally, I'd wait until Daniel gets back to you before you get too gung ho on legal action....
I agree. Give Keysight one more chance to make it right!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:20 pm »
I agree. Give Keysight one more chance to make it right!

Hey sure! Sorry, maybe I wasnt clear. I plan on going to Procon on monday just to have some legal advice on what to do in case I need to, but I WILL NOT file any complaints before Keysight gives its final word. Daniel has been very kind and I do think everyone deserves a second chance.

The kind of suppor I got from Keysight Brazil was pretty bad, but Daniel sounds very helpful.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:52 am »
My DSOX2024 just had the same problem.  I'm anxiously watching this thread to see what the outcome is.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 04:29:11 am »
$1900 sounds like the flat-rate replace-instead-of-repair option. Anyway, I'm sure Daniel will get to the bottom of it. He's proven quite adept at juggling tricky situations.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49:35 am »
My DSOX2024 just had the same problem.

For all the Rigol nay sayers there are very few reports of actual faulty units, especially given the numbers of units sold to forum members.

Again, it will be interesting to see how Keysight handle repairs, especially if the this PLL fault turns out to be a common age related problem.

Will the days when manufacturers release full schematics and repair details of common faults return?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:52:09 am by Towger »

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 05:05:40 am »
I thought that the cost for Skype calls was based on the destination country/network, not the originating country?

At least my costs are always the same regardless if I'm in Thailand, Malaysia, UAE or Sweden when making an outbound call.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 06:37:25 am »
Isnt equipment failure covered by your insurance?

steverino

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:08 am »

I will talk to my lawyer today as coincidently its his birthday and there will be a party at his house. Anyway, I WAS NOT AWARE of that and I really appreciate pointing that out to me. From what I read, Keysight is refusing to repair the equipment but I guess the law is by my side and they may have to do it if I go to court, and I will certainly do so! This is great news, cause I believe I can take this further if needed be. Thanks 1xrtt!

On monday I will go to Procon (our consumer regulation institution in Brazil) and talk to someone there as they may also give me some good advice on how to proceed with this.
[/quote]

Lawyers must be cheap in Brazil.  $450/hr in California and I'm already in the hole for $10k and counting for a lawsuit I initiated (non consumer related).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 07:13:54 am »
$1900 sounds like the flat-rate replace-instead-of-repair option. Anyway, I'm sure Daniel will get to the bottom of it. He's proven quite adept at juggling tricky situations.
Apparently not.  :-\

My DSOX2024 just had the same problem.  I'm anxiously watching this thread to see what the outcome is.
Your thread need be linked in this one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-dsox2024-won't-boot/

In that thread member georgd wisely suggests the community goes about getting some ROM dumps in case there's some systemic failure of these models.  :-\

New thread?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:48 am »
Keysight Technologies
InfiniiVision 2000 X-Series Oscilloscopes
Data Sheet

Included standard with oscilloscope:  Standard 5-year warranty 1

1. Applies to all orders on or after 1/1/2013.

It reads there in global data sheet. This do not differentiate any country. It is factory warranty.

Note this small text in page 20 bottom  in data sheet.
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5990-6618EN.pdf?id=2002854

What was warranty promise when originally  purchased, it was perhaps different.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:14:25 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:06 am »
Was it actually a Keysight facility or a 3rd party?
That's worth researching a bit. Lots of manufacturers don't have an actual presence in certain countries. Instead, they have an agreement with a local distributor. Sometimes they're difficult to spot because they are authorized to use the brand name, acting like they are the real manufacturer.

An example is Nikon, with an absolute disgrace of a distributor in Spain. So, if you purchase a pair of Nikon binoculars in the UK (which is part of the EU as well) you are covered by a ten year warranty. If you buy it in Spain, the standard two year warranty, with the added "plus" of an extremely awful service centres.

Of course there are two approaches to warranty by manufacturers. Some use it as an excuse to decline responsability for manufacturing defects whenever they can. Others are honest and, despite an expired warranty, will fix an obvious manufacturing defect regardless and apologise regardless of the warranty status. I saw this in a case with Sony in the 90's, for example.

Anyway, as Daniel from Keysight has asked for details I would let him work in peace. The fact that he is visible as a Keysight representative means that his presence is endorsed by the company itself, and that they value the direct interaction with their users in this forum.

Unless something goes terribly wrong, I am sure that you can rest assured.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2016, 10:55:43 am »
What relevance does consumer law have to the purchase of industrial equipment, especially when it has been used for industrial applications?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf