Author Topic: Old Fluke Multimeters  (Read 355911 times)

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Old Fluke Multimeters
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2014, 05:06:09 am »
Ended up getting a FLUKE 25.   WOW what a great metre, very smooth and nice.   Huge and substantially built.
I think this will do for all my needs.
Did you go for the one on ebay?

Yes. With shipping, I think it came to 17 total.  Glad I got it.

Wow, I missed that one.  Heck of a great deal on it!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2014, 07:11:37 am »
I've got a pile of Fluke 25 without the carrying case, PM me for details.

Offline vinlove

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:05 am »
Mine came without carrying case, and it is quite alright. 

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:46 pm »
A reader of my blog sent me some photos of an 8060A that he cleverly converted from LCD to 7-segment LED display.  I secured his permission to post the photos, so have a look if you're interested.

Online lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2014, 11:27:16 pm »
A reader of my blog sent me some photos of an 8060A that he cleverly converted from LCD to 7-segment LED display.  I secured his permission to post the photos, so have a look if you're interested.
Love it.  Always great to see 'display mods' people do for their favorite oldies.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:58:37 am by lowimpedance »
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:37 pm »
its not a fluke, its not a fluke, its not a fluke:

two are ibm and one is heath.

none are flukes.

(LOL)

just got my 2nd IBM in the mail today.  super clean condition.  why are there IBM branded ones coming on the market that show no use?  maybe IBM techs never used them?  did they know HOW to?  (semi lol)

btw, look at some of the manuf variations.  on the diode/beep button, the yellow color 'framing' is off on one of them.  on the bottom of the meters (not shown) the serial # stuff is engraved on one and raised on the other!  printing follows that on the back; the engraved serial is the engraved model # and static info stuff.
serial #'s are very different.  both came from different sellers, too, of course.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:53:16 pm by linux-works »

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2014, 02:12:44 am »
On most re-branded Fluke meters, the name "Fluke" appears on the meter, is molded into the back case, and it is molded into the holster as well.  This is true for the Matco, UTI, Heath, Lincoln Tech and other meters I've seen.

The Square D brand meter, has no "Fluke" on it at all - the back case just says "made in USA" without "Fluke."  Even the old, 70 series square hoster doesn't have Fluke on the back or the front.

It looks like the IBM is similar, but I can't remember if it's on the back of the meter or not.  If I recall, the old 80xx don't have Fluke anywhere on  the back, so the IBM won't either.

Offline ronsr333

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2014, 03:08:04 pm »
Need Advice! Picked up an 8024A (No display). With a new battery I have checked connections through the On/Off switch to U8. Full battery voltage is present at Vdd/Vss at U8. Need suggestions as to where to go next. Take display apart??  Clean and reseat U8???? Any help?

Offline unicornio

• Contributor
  • linving in the energy and water edge
    • http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2014, 12:05:07 pm »
Message to Dave: I worked at Fluke in the late 70s and early 80s as a design engineer. I started as a junior engineer on the original handheld DMM, the 8020.

hi, drtaylor and HOLA! all the forum, this is my post #1!...

I congratulate you for your story about the 'history of fluke'. sincerely fluke has my admiration and I used fluke instrumentation for over 40 years and I can only say that it has always been a great satisfaction and a sense of calm and reliability work with fluke equipment ...

's funny what you say about intersil, big manufacturer then. I bought in 1984 which I think is one of the best copies of multimeter fluke. How good is the copy that is still running and calibration over 30 years ... believe me I've used a lot, it's a good system, although false ... they should buy a few integrated  to intersil and copied your fluke ...;-)

it is a very goog machine!...

i post some photos that show i want to say.

Best regards from gredos, spain
electronic and microwave radio engineer for 30 years, radioamateur, and now work in #solar #energy hi-end equipments, #water #depuration and #ozone generation #technology
http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:22 pm »
Definitely going to read this thread in full, but until then if you are still getting rid of some send some my way  :-DMM

Oh man just read that your wife threw out all those parts, that's a damn shame, imagine someone building up one of those meters today.

I'm curious, what do you guys mean by NOS?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:07:50 pm by XOIIO »

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »
...I'm curious, what do you guys mean by NOS?
New Old Stock

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2014, 08:34:01 pm »
Hello Dr. Taylor,

I just scored a IBM 8060A/AA off of ebay. It seems that only 200mV and 2V ranges work correctly with all the other ranges displaying like the 200mV range (applying 190mv displays as 19000 and any more displays overload). I have not popped the cover yet. I suspect that either the divider is bad or I have a switch problem. Anything else I should look for?

If it is the Caddock divider any idea where to find one of those? The unit is mint otherwise.

Are there other Fluke meters that used the same divider?

Thanks,

Sam
W3OHM

Offline drtaylorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »
Sam,

I doubt that your problem is the divider. I would suspect the pushbutton switch assembly with the symptoms as you describe. Sometimes the little spring contacts in the switch get mangled.

With the 8060 off, check each switch to make sure the poles are connecting and disconnecting. The ground side of the divider has to go through several poles on several switches. Any pole not working would prevent the divider from dividing.

It's fairly easy to test if the divider is working. Just place 2V on the meter inputs and then monitor the voltage at the 100k resistor at the input to the MAC chip. Also, if you pop out both the Volts and ohms keys, then you can use another DMM to measure the resistors in the divider (8060 off).

Also a small possibility is that the silver zebra that connects the main board to the SM4 Micro just needs to be cleaned and/or repositioned. If this were the case, it would still divide in the analog world, but the micro may not know what range and function it is in.

Does it work in ohms mode? That would be a clue.

The divider was a custom part from Caddock to my specifications. I don't believe it was used ever again in newer meters. So unless Fluke has repair stock, that might be difficult to obtain except from a donor 8060. Hopefully your divider is fine.

I don't have an 8060 schematic where I'm writing this. If you want more specific instructions on trouble shooting this unit, let me know. Good luck.

If you have the User Guide, it tells you how to perform a digital switch check that will test the Micro's ability to figure out the range and function.

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »
Hey Dr. Taylor,

I think I previously posted about a near mint 8060a that I got from a local swap meet for $20.

Had to replace the lytics in it as several had leaked, but fortunately, not a lot and the damage was minimal.

Had to pull the LCD assembly off and clean that area up along with adding a  thin layer of silver solder on the pads in the center of the board as the board has a minor bow to it that reduced the contact to the elastomeric strip.

Outside the minor "bleeding" in the display, and it booting up properly, it works pretty well.

It seems that occasionally now, after being off for a while, that it doesn't boot up properly and hangs up just after doing it's self test. Not sure why but a power cycle seems to correct it.

Accurate little booger too.

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2014, 11:46:54 pm »
I have one near mint 8060a one very good condition both in excellent working condition and an ibm 8060a with case and probes for 61$ love the old meters. It has an almost expert kind offeel to it because u can't be and idiot and u kind of h and to put the range switches in the right spot or else......

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2014, 12:28:36 am »
Sam,

I doubt that your problem is the divider. I would suspect the pushbutton switch assembly with the symptoms as you describe. Sometimes the little spring contacts in the switch get mangled.

With the 8060 off, check each switch to make sure the poles are connecting and disconnecting. The ground side of the divider has to go through several poles on several switches. Any pole not working would prevent the divider from dividing.

It's fairly easy to test if the divider is working. Just place 2V on the meter inputs and then monitor the voltage at the 100k resistor at the input to the MAC chip. Also, if you pop out both the Volts and ohms keys, then you can use another DMM to measure the resistors in the divider (8060 off).

Also a small possibility is that the silver zebra that connects the main board to the SM4 Micro just needs to be cleaned and/or repositioned. If this were the case, it would still divide in the analog world, but the micro may not know what range and function it is in.

Does it work in ohms mode? That would be a clue.

The divider was a custom part from Caddock to my specifications. I don't believe it was used ever again in newer meters. So unless Fluke has repair stock, that might be difficult to obtain except from a donor 8060. Hopefully your divider is fine.

I don't have an 8060 schematic where I'm writing this. If you want more specific instructions on trouble shooting this unit, let me know. Good luck.

If you have the User Guide, it tells you how to perform a digital switch check that will test the Micro's ability to figure out the range and function.

Hello Dr. Taylor,

Well this is embarrassing for an old sparky like me to admit, but once I spent some time with it the problem was staring me right in the face. The real problem was the switches were in the wrong position! I had it in the high Z mode (all of the gray switches out) instead of the middle gray one in and the others out! A simple case of operator head space. I guess in my mind I did not think of that V/dB switch mattered when measuring DC! Sometime you just have to read the manual even if it is a PDF!

With that bit of head slapping out of the way I proceeded to check the unit on my voltage calibrator and it was (of course) dead on. Mine is serial number 4310057. After checking the cal I took it apart and cleaned the case with some water and a little dish soap gently with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (works wonders on surplus test gear)

Now the unit looks good as new ! Truly a great design. I do need to run the unit through its paces on AC but I don't have access to my AC test gear tonight, Maybe next week!

I do thank you very much for the troubleshooting hints as they will help someone else along the way for sure.

Sorry to have put you through that for such a simple solution!

All the best,
W3OHM

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #167 on: July 15, 2014, 07:45:23 pm »
Dr Taylor, glad you posted this thread for posterity, in many ways the modern hand held DMM as a device was "created" by Fluke, and moreso, IMHO, by you and your team.   I missed this thread and the AmpHour interview, but there are always the archives.

I could never afford a Fluke DMM until my post grad years, but worked summers enough to buy a clone. For decades I wondered about how they copied the design and function so well, until your story about Intersil.    It seems it was more than good reverse engineering  ^-^ Many HH DMMs, particularly low cost ones from Taiwan from the early 1980s used the ICL7106 and at times the 7107, for benchmeters.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:58:50 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2014, 11:22:20 pm »
Saturation- Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. You can listen to the Amphour interview anytime at   http://www.theamphour.com/180-an-interview-with-dave-taylor-multi-talented-meter-maker/.

For those who have been eagerly awaiting me putting some of my 8060s up for sale, I ran into a snag. Even though I used Tantalums in more positions than the production 8060s, I still had one 100uF aluminum cap that spewed. So the IBM labeled 8060 does not work accurately in the Megohms range. So next I will replace the one remaining alum cap and do a thorough IPA clean. All functions seem to be working other than high range ohms. A few segments on the LCD are light, which I'm sure will be fixed with a zebra strip cleaning. This one has not been turned on in 30 years. I'm amazed it worked as well as it did. Should be fully restorable.

After working on electronics all day, I sometimes just don't get up the gumption to work on them after I arrive home. Lazy, I know. Plus I'll have to go out and buy some 99% IPA... So, sorry I'm so slow.

Next I will test all my 8060s to see which ones need work. All have original caps, so I probably need to do some removals, cleaning, and new part installations.

Once fully restored, I'll post them on the Forum and offer the buyer a choice if he wants them signed, internally or externally or in just the User Guide. I have enough User Guides to cover all the 8060s I plan on selling, which is three right at the moment. 1 IBM, and 2 Fluke versions. Watch this topic over the next few weeks, and I'll announce it here right before posting them in the sales area. These are first hard model run units with the higher bandwidth Motorola TRMS circuit, and the higher AC input voltage range. So they will be the oldest 8060s available, but should perform as well as any 8060 ever made.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:43 pm »
My pleasure, listened to it yesterday.  When you read Fluke's own history of the HH DMM:

http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/download/asset/2386856_a_w.pdf

You came in a key moment in history and help add functions that became a defacto standard in DMMs.

Here are some clones that used the 7106 that was very popular at the time.  The manufacturers even copied the switch layout suggests how popular the 8020a and subsequent models were.

Saturation- Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. You can listen to the Amphour interview anytime at   http://www.theamphour.com/180-an-interview-with-dave-taylor-multi-talented-meter-maker/.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:41:58 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2014, 12:33:14 pm »
Thanky you drtaylor for your very interesting and detailed trip into the history of Fluke gear!
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:36 pm »
Here's something rare to find.  The history of the digital multimeter, and the folks that made it happen.  It also suggests how Fluke got involved.

http://www.hp9825.com/html/dvms.html

http://www.pa.msu.edu/~edmunds/DVM_HP_3440a/digital_volt_meter_history.txt

Best Wishes,

Saturation

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia, imaradiostar

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2014, 12:23:50 am »
My apologies if this has been discussed before, and if this isn't an appropriate thread. 

I purchased an 8024B - not newsworthy, except that on the back is stamped:

FLUKE (HOLLAND) B.V.
TILBURG, THE NETHERLANDS

MADE IN HOLLAND

This is the first Fluke that I've seen that isn't made in China or the USA.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2014, 04:46:43 am »

I purchased an 8024B - not newsworthy, except that on the back is stamped:

FLUKE (HOLLAND) B.V.
TILBURG, THE NETHERLANDS

MADE IN HOLLAND

This is the first Fluke that I've seen that isn't made in China or the USA.

Fluke for years had an assembly plant in Tilburg. It had production, engineering, and all aspects of product production. My first Fluke engineering boss was named Richard Van Saun and had ties to the Netherlands. Anyway many thousands of fluke handheld DMMs were produced there. So, not rare...

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2014, 11:59:50 am »
Hi DrTaylor

I have a question about the Fluke 8060. Maybe you can help.

I have one that has problems with the dot. It mostley stays in the 200V position.
But sometimes it changes.
I have checked the switches. All inputs on the MAC are grounded according to the switch position.

I am confused about the pull up for the open inputs.
When an input is grounded and switch position is changed it creeps up very slowly to about 1.9 Volts.

I wonder where the pullup for these inputs is?
Are they internal to the MAC chip?
What should the voltage on the pin be for reading a 1 on the input?

FYI
C12 has been leaky but I cleaned up the goo with IPA.
Pin 34 and 33 of the IC socked had been corroded but I have cleaned the socket and contact is now ok.
I checked the board with an ohmmeter (another 8060) but the dot does not want to move.

Thanks for your stories, i enjoy them very much.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf