Author Topic: Old Fluke Multimeters  (Read 356134 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Old Fluke Multimeters
« Reply #550 on: October 14, 2018, 12:27:47 am »
So perhaps I should stock up on relays in my next parts order just to be prepared for the inevitable.  Have you looked at the 8800A relays yet?  The BOM indicates that the two units use the same Fluke part numbers for the relays though perhaps not the same number of them.

Here's a peak inside my 8800A. The Ohms board has 4 reed relays which are 600 ohm coils and appear to be identical to the one's used in the 8600A so I will be replacing them with the same substitution. The AC board behind it apparently has 3 under that cover of a different part number and unknown coil resistance. I will be leaving those alone for now.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #551 on: October 14, 2018, 02:34:13 am »
The manuals I have give the same part for the 8800A AC board relays as the 8600A: Relay, reed SPST, 4.5V Fluke #357566 made originally by Coto Coil in Providence, RI. mfr #E8182

The Ohms board on both meters says Relay, reed SPST, 4.5V Fluke #357582, same mfr. #UF40070

Coto is still in business but they don't seem to have any cross-reference to their obsolete products.

Looking up the UF40070 ultimately gives this link: https://www.lintechcomponents.com/product/5945-010140618

Can't find any data on the E8182 as yet.   :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #552 on: October 14, 2018, 03:49:46 am »
The manuals I have give the same part for the 8800A AC board relays as the 8600A: Relay, reed SPST, 4.5V Fluke #357566 made originally by Coto Coil in Providence, RI. mfr #E8182

The Ohms board on both meters says Relay, reed SPST, 4.5V Fluke #357582, same mfr. #UF40070

Coto is still in business but they don't seem to have any cross-reference to their obsolete products.

Looking up the UF40070 ultimately gives this link: https://www.lintechcomponents.com/product/5945-010140618

Can't find any data on the E8182 as yet.   :(

You can bet that requesting a quote would result in taking out a mortgage to pay for them.  :scared:

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #553 on: October 14, 2018, 09:36:11 am »
Restoration Fluke 8300A

Problem1: Last Nixie off.
Problem2: Power switch always ON

Scope pics: 1 = working Transistor, 2 = fail transistor, tested at C (= Anode Nixie)
tested with Tek221, isolated ground free

Found a bad Transistor going to Anode of the non working Nixi, swapped to BF421 = OK
But the Nixi self seems to be defektive, the zero is mostly on and it fires multiple numbers, looks like a mechanical defekt inside, shorted plates.
Displaying of 0 is allready, other numbers NOT.
I have to look to buy a spare.

greetings
Martin

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:45:50 am by Martin.M »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #554 on: October 14, 2018, 10:22:04 am »
Restoration Fluke 8300A

Problem1: Last Nixie off.
Problem2: Power switch always ON

Scope pics: 1 = working Transistor, 2 = fail transistor, tested at C (= Anode Nixie)
tested with Tek221, isolated ground free

Found a bad Transistor going to Anode of the non working Nixi, swapped to BF421 = OK
But the Nixi self seems to be defektive, the zero is mostly on and it fires multiple numbers, looks like a mechanical defekt inside, shorted plates.
Displaying of 0 is allready, other numbers NOT.
I have to look to buy a spare.

greetings
Martin

I'll bet the shorted Nixie damaged the driver transistor. Hopefully you can find a replacement Nixie.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2018, 03:10:39 pm »
the Nixie is not shorted bec. they are all parallel on the bus,
this Fluke is multiplexing. If there is anything shorted, all nixies will display the problem.
The both transistors, the pnp and the npn are replaced now, and I have still the problem.
This will be not so easy

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #556 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
Q36, Q40

:)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, edavid

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #557 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:21 pm »
next:
+/- lights don`t work.

ACV DCV mV k \$\Omega\$ M \$\Omega\$ = OK

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #558 on: October 16, 2018, 11:13:44 pm »
Q36, Q40

:)

Not bad! It's coming back to life. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #559 on: October 17, 2018, 04:55:25 am »
OCD at work here - I was just browsing the 8600/8800 manuals to see what LED displays they used.  Interestingly, my copies of the manuals do not have the page numbers which contain the display board schematics!  I have a copy of the 8810A manual which does, however.  It looks to me that Fluke used a variant of the MAN72/MAN73 displays for all of these meters, based on a comparison of the 8810 schematic and BOMs for the other two meters.  Even my Dana 4200 uses essentially the same display.  I guess that shouldn't surprise me because the MAN72 was very widely used in the 70s.

My question: Has anyone ever had to replace a LED on one of these?  I suspect failure is very rare (in fact I bet switches, relays, and caps go out far more often), but since I plan to keep them running as long as possible it would be handy to have a compatible display part number in my archive.  Lacking that info I wouldn't hesitate to plug in a MAN72 compatible part and try it, but I'd like to know if anyone has actually done so.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: October 17, 2018, 08:27:05 am »
There are a few different LED display types in those. Some of the models had very early Monsanto dot matrix displays. Those buggers are (a) impossible to get and (b) totally unreliable. The later LED models are fine as long as they haven't been dropped. The mounting peg system was stupid. You can spot a dropped one a mile off up front by shaking it :)

Past LEDs, the main failure modes I have seen are dicky switches, reed relays packing in, power supply pass transistors with degraded beta, knackered electrolytics, entirely duff ASICs.

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #561 on: October 17, 2018, 05:28:28 pm »
8300A:  function display assy.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #562 on: October 17, 2018, 05:56:29 pm »
There are a few different LED display types in those. Some of the models had very early Monsanto dot matrix displays. Those buggers are (a) impossible to get and (b) totally unreliable. The later LED models are fine as long as they haven't been dropped. The mounting peg system was stupid. You can spot a dropped one a mile off up front by shaking it :)

Past LEDs, the main failure modes I have seen are dicky switches, reed relays packing in, power supply pass transistors with degraded beta, knackered electrolytics, entirely duff ASICs.

Thankfully, mine look like standard MANxx segment displays; and when I had the meters open to replace caps, one of the things I did was check the seating of the display assemblies in their sockets.  A few of the main board ICs were a little loose initially but it didn't seem to have any effect on the meters. I remember early computers which, after multiple on/off heat cycles, would lever the ICs out of their sockets and cause flakeys.  Hasn't happened to my meters yet.

I know they're not sexy like the VFDs or OLEDs, but I'll take LEDs or TN LCDs over anything else in a device I use as a tool every day.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:04 pm »
Yes agree with the displays. The LCD 8010 was a big regression unfortunately if you ask me.  I had one a while back and did actually consider backlighting it.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2018, 05:52:46 pm »
the 883A Differential Voltmeter :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:56:14 pm by Martin.M »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: October 19, 2018, 06:11:22 pm »
Yes agree with the displays. The LCD 8010 was a big regression unfortunately if you ask me.  I had one a while back and did actually consider backlighting it.

I think I would too.  I've actually passed on a couple of 801x series because they're only 3.5 digit and no autoranging.  No backlight = too many minuses.

Fingers crossed this weekend that the hamfest turns up another 8600A, 8800A, or similar model.  Can't decide whether the extra digit is more important than the current measuring ability, here on the bench...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: October 20, 2018, 05:31:08 pm »
the 883A Differential Voltmeter :)

That's a nice one, Martin!

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: October 21, 2018, 05:36:33 am »
I've got a question about the 8060a MAC chip part numbers... I've got two meters and the older meter's MAC part number is 612713 while the newer one's is 704759.  Wondering why there's two different numbers, is there any difference in functionality between the two chips?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2018, 06:42:49 pm »
Restoration of the 8300A is done.
There is still a problem, DC- is always on at DC and mV DC, it may be wrong in calibration of the +- comparator, the driver stages are allready.
V + mV + Ohms, all is allready working, except this +- bulb.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
........ except this +- bulb.
Little forum tip for showing plus/minus:

Use + and then underline it like this:

+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2018, 09:18:35 pm »
Most modern keyboards should be able to type it directly as well; it's a UTF-8 / ISO-8859 / Mac / Windows "0xB1" and an HTML code "±"

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2018, 11:54:26 pm »
Unicode support is actually quite new to the forums (½ to ¾ of a year or so). Before, there was only basic ASCII support and I am very glad those times are over. :)

± ∓

FIY: The \$\Omega\$ emoji is a relic from that time that can now pleasantly be substituted by the true Ω char.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:58:22 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #572 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:57 am »
FYI: The \$\Omega\$ emoji is a relic from that time that can now pleasantly be substituted by the true Ω char.

Thank goodness. I remember trying a real ohm before and, although it appeared correctly in the editor, it didn't display properly in the post. The emoji just doesn't fit in well with text, especially prefixes such as MΩ.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #573 on: October 29, 2018, 04:09:34 am »
   :box:  analog vs. digital, after 45 minutes of warmup  :box:

will John Fluke win the round?

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Marco1971

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #574 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:40 am »
Thank goodness. I remember trying a real ohm before and, although it appeared correctly in the editor, it didn't display properly in the post. The emoji just doesn't fit in well with text, especially prefixes such as MΩ.

Yes. Sad times. You could compensate a little by using the sub tag and a bigger font, but finally having unicode support is a blessing. I remember we had to put up a small fight, because Dave was afraid switching to unicode meant having people also write in Japanese, Russian and other languages, but we could provide enough evidence to persuade. :)
After all, writing a post that looked fine in the preview just to find the posted version missing a bunch of chars just wasn’t right.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf