Author Topic: Old Fluke Multimeters  (Read 356148 times)

Offline drtaylorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Old Fluke Multimeters
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:33 pm »
My collection of 8060s along with a first generation 8020 from 1976 and the very first production run 8026A. There are none older in the world as all of these came out of the first hard model runs. This is what we called the first units made by production combined with engineering.

The upper left unit is an IBM version. Upper center is a standard beige 8060A, but I stuck an IBM label on it (and no, I don't have any more, sorry). Upper right is my workhorse unit I've used for 30 years, still in calibration. Lower left was the original 8062 which is just a software limited 8060. Lower center is an 8026A/AA which used the 8060A TRMS chip. However, because it didn't have my frequency enhanced input structure, its bandwidth was significantly lower than the 8060. Last is an original 1976 8020A, the first product I worked on (but had little to do with the design). Just turned it on and it was in spec for DC which is the only precision source I have to test DMMs with.

I plan on selling the IBM unit in the upper left. I am replacing its caps and then it will be ready to go. At one time I had a box of about 40 8060A's all from the hard model run. I don't remember why they couldn't be sold, they were fully functional. It was just Fluke policy to not sell hard model runs. Anyway my boss at the time just said keep 'em. I used to give them away like candy and most went to other engineers and techs at Fluke. The ones you see are all I have left.

I'm looking forward to being on the Amphour on Monday. Stop by and say hi.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:50:14 pm by drtaylor »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:08 am »
More of my old Fluke gear. Of these I only worked extensively on the 8922 Thermal True RMS Voltmeter (and the never released Power Supply). Some of these I obtained from other Fluke Engineers because they all wanted an 8060 in trade. A nice little bartering chip.

I absolutely loved working on the 8920/8922. This was the best education because of the complexity of the analog circuitry. The 8920 had banana jacks and therefore was slightly lower in bandwidth than the BNC input 8922. The 892x used a Fluke designed Thermal RMS chip. This was a sensor only and had to have a lot of circuitry around it.

The Fluke 7260A Counter on top of the 8922 was also mounted in Fluke's PTI (Portable Test Instrumentation) case. This was the medium size. There was one shorter and one taller version. They snap together so you can carry them. I don't know if this ever caught on. As I said in previous posts, getting heat out of it was a bitch. The last picture is the Fluke power supply concept unit. A project that was dropped. On top is possibly the only existing smallest height PTI case. I designed and built a remote display for connection to DMMs. I don't think Fluke ever designed anything into the smaller case, but I could be wrong.

Now where's that 8860?...my wife better not have tossed it!

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2014, 01:05:08 am »
I do love the color of the IBM model. I particularly like the 'customized' IBM label on the standard unit, one of a kind i suspect  ;D
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2014, 01:10:09 am »
I do love the color of the IBM model. I particularly like the 'customized' IBM label on the standard unit, one of a kind i suspect  ;D

I've never actually seen a blue fluke from that generation. I'm curious if there were others
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:28 am »

I've never actually seen a blue fluke from that generation. I'm curious if there were others

Well, there were 10000 of them sold to IBM. Probably a bunch of them somewhere.

On a different subject, I just found about 20. 429100 chips. This is the Converter used in 8020, 8022, 8010, 8012, 8024, 8026 and probably some I've forgotten about. If you need one to restore a vintage 3.5 digit Fluke DMM, drop me a line. They've been in anti static foam for 30 years, but chances are good they work.

Yay I found my 8860! Almost afraid to apply power. Now where's my variac?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:15 am »
I have one an IBM blue one thanks to a poorly worded ebay auction title. I don't have any voltage sources at home, but a comparison with a Fluke 87V and 187 shows it spot on or +/- 1mV.   :-+

I also asked someone if they want to try and modify a 8062 into a 8060.

PS. Compiling my list of questions (plural).  Unfortunately, we can't call in like a radio show, but so it is just a 3 way conversation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:33:22 pm by retiredcaps »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:01 pm »
My last Fluke DMM, the 8860A 5-1/2 digit programmable DMM. This device was interesting as it could programmed from a keypad as well as through a GPIB port. It has a plug-in Battery backed SRAM module where the program is stored (a whopping  256 bytes on two 256X4 Intel 5101 SRAMS). You could set up an auto test procedure and run it without a GPIB controller.

This is an example of the tallest PTI case. There was a way to make even taller devices by inserting a mid section. I don't recall any Fluke units that were designed into an expanded PTI case, but the Industrial Designer had high hopes (pun intended).

Ah, I'd almost forgotten about GPIB controllers. Fluke went big time into designing a touch screen GPIB controller. I have a lot of negative comments about that decision and how it was managed, but all GPIB controllers were ultimately doomed by the advent of the PC.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2014, 08:46:20 am »
Interesting, I have an 8062 and this unit uses a quite different PCB for the keypad than the 8060 which would make it rather hard to convert without some major hacking. (although IIRC the top case half had the moulding cut outs of the 8060!).
 Would be interested to see any results of such an attempt.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2014, 06:43:29 pm »
My last Fluke DMM, the 8860A 5-1/2 digit programmable DMM.

Nice meter, but why did they decide to leave out the current ranges?

Ah, I'd almost forgotten about GPIB controllers. Fluke went big time into designing a touch screen GPIB controller. I have a lot of negative comments about that decision and how it was managed, but all GPIB controllers were ultimately doomed by the advent of the PC.

Do you mean the 1720A?  Where did they find those extra-wide (or extra-short) CRTs?

Offline ChrisGammell

• Supporter
    • Chris Gammell's Analog Life
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2014, 05:11:50 am »
We had a chance to hear all of Dave's stories on The Amp Hour this week. If you want to hear more about the history of the 8060 (and more!) check out the show: http://www.theamphour.com/180-an-interview-with-dave-taylor-multi-talented-meter-maker/

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2014, 08:53:37 am »
Thanks for the interview, it was a really nice one!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2014, 05:28:27 am »
This auction just ended with a new old stock (NOS) 8060A going for $356 + $15.85 = $371.85 USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310856956375

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
A lot to pay for a very old design. I wonder if the successful bidder is an EEVBLOG forum reader.

I have a rare Blue IBM 8060A/AA for sale with Blue User Guide. I just haven't figured out the best place to sell it at. Any suggestions? If the buyer cares, I'd be happy to sign it, or I can leave it pristine. I have only been able to test the calibration in DC and ohms. I do not have an accurate AC source, nor access to one. I checked into having it calibrated by my companies usual vendor, and it would cost more than I am willing to pay. So buyer beware, I can only certify that the AC function works on all ranges, but not how accurate it is at all frequencies. Then again, Flukes stay pretty darn accurate anyway. I also plan on selling my one-of-a-kind beige 8060A that has an IBM label. This one needs the caps changed, and I will finish it later this week. Both of these are in excellent condition and look new. This still leaves me with 4 8060s which is enough.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2014, 08:04:49 am »
Allmost 400 dollar for one of the ugliest meters Fluke ever made ? (sorry, my opinion)

The problem with NOS instruments is that if you use them, they are not NOS anymore and loose their value. And so much money only to look at it sounds a bit funny. I have some meters only bought to look at but they were less as 10 bucks and 60-90 years old

He wrote the Fluke was never outside the box before, and he ships it with a fresh battery. So the old battery was dead ?. But did Fluke ship them with batteries . And if so, what does the battery compartment look now after all this time with a bad battery.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Marvin

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2014, 12:25:05 pm »
That NOS is pretty useless - electrolytic capacitors age even when not used. Some capacitor manufacturers have procedures for starting to use electrolytic capacitors that have been on shelves for years by applying really limited current for an hour or so (reforming). The electrolytic caps in that NOS meter might fail with the first poweron!

Quote from: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/aluminum_app_dne.pdf

Leakage current of a capacitor increases with long storage times. The aluminium oxide film deteriorates as a function of temperature and time. If used without reconditioning, an abnormally high current will be required to restore the oxide film. This current surge could cause the circuit or the capacitor to fail. Capacitor should be reconditioned by applying rated voltage in series with a 1000 ohm, current limiting resistor for a time period of 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:27:42 pm by Marvin »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2014, 11:23:35 pm »
I have a rare Blue IBM 8060A/AA for sale with Blue User Guide. I just haven't figured out the best place to sell it at. Any suggestions?
There is a Buy/Sell forum here at

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/

Advertising it for sale on eevblog might attract buyers that have a nostalgia factor and appreciate a signed copy?

The other obvious choice is ebay. You could put something in the description that you were the chief designer and this is your own personal 8060A.  Putting it on ebay might attract buyers from the audio crowd that revere the 8060A.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:27:22 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline akanowitz

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:28 pm »
Still have an old grey '77 meter on my bench, always grab it before looking at the others..

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:27 am »
I am chomping at the bit to get a chance at the ibm8060a. Use the forum here if u can. I hope that I can afford it...

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:48 am »
Mr. Taylor do you have any info on a service manual for the 8060a. I just wondered bec I have 3 8060a meters and an 8062. I like to use them and I really don't want them to break and I am stuck not knowing where to go and what to check?   

Thanks

Mike m

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:18 am »
I have one an IBM blue one thanks to a poorly worded ebay auction title. I don't have any voltage sources at home, but a comparison with a Fluke 87V and 187 shows it spot on or +/- 1mV.   :-+

PS. Compiling my list of questions (plural).  Unfortunately, we can't call in like a radio show, but so it is just a 3 way conversation.

actually, I meant if they were produced in different colours.
I would definitely use a neon pink 8060 just to annoy people and to have an extremely unique meter.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2014, 01:59:34 am »

actually, I meant if they were produced in different colours.
I would definitely use a neon pink 8060 just to annoy people and to have an extremely unique meter.

Hell yeah!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2014, 06:20:19 am »
Mr. Taylor do you have any info on a service manual for the 8060a.
The manual posted on Fluke's website gives troubleshooting charts, schematics, bill of materials, etc.   :-+

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/8060a_3vimeng0200.pdf

I wish all current publicly accessible Fluke manuals had this much detail.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »
Also the original release article has some explanation on how the meter works. I will attach it again here. But the User Guide, written by yours truly has a lot of info on troubleshooting. Pretty much the only thing that goes wrong with 8060s is leaky electrolytic caps and occasionally the silver filled elastomeric conductor needs cleaned on both the PCB contact surface and the elastomer ends. Most of all, keep it clean. Thorough cleaning with IPA and acid brushes is a must!

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:06 pm »
Thank you guys very much!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:54 am »
great reading on this thread.  very enjoyable.

while browsing the bay, I found an ibm 8060a and snapped it up.  in very clean condition.  my first fluke in this series.

I grew up in the 80's reading electronics magazines and saw the 8060 style meters in every edition and grew to admire and want one.  I was a kid and could never afford that, but now, many decades later, I can ;)

thanks for the thread and posting the schematics, history, etc!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf