Author Topic: Old Philips Fluke 97 / 96B (maybe others?)  (Read 82107 times)

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
Re: Old Philips Fluke 97 / 96B (maybe others?)
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2021, 06:43:41 pm »
 Fluke 9x calibration adjust and verification procedures attached.

The following users thanked this post: lyonsk

Offline chrisc1122

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2021, 12:30:50 am »
This is a fascinating thread, lots of info.  However, lots of info regarding firmware that I would expect to be garnered from an actual service manual for the newer 92B, 96B, 99B and 105B scopes.

Does anyone have an actual service manual and or schematics for these scopes ?  If so, can you please share, as I have had no success finding one, and would greatly appreciate a copy, as using the 97 service manual has proved problematic on the digital side for all happening on this thread.  Making any real mods or repairs other than replacing visually compromised parts is proving difficult.  More than willing to pay for any expenses to make that happen.

Thanks

Chris

The following users thanked this post: chukin

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2021, 08:31:52 am »
Old scopemeter serial link updating at 38400 rate with LV:

Offline chukin

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2021, 09:20:24 am »
Hi all

As the owner of a dead Fluke 96B I can only confirm Chris' comments and add my voice to his plea for anyone with a service manual to please make it available one way or another. Trying to repair using the 93/95/97 service manual - which is tantalizingly similar, but not quite enough be sure of the detail - is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help

Peter
Modesty - my only failing!

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2021, 07:15:33 pm »
I´m trying to make a remote control, someone knows how is the QS answer encoded?

I attach a video, the first part is in scope mode pressing the move key, and the second in meter mode not key pressed.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:54:53 pm by harrimansat »

Offline smaultre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2021, 05:39:19 pm »
I also interested, how to get the serial number by terminal? Who knows any information?
Start a new life here!!!

Online BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2021, 05:50:47 am »
I have a 97 which I've just managed to resurrect : DM5570xxx. It has firmware version 3.20 (92-02-28).

Does anyone know if upgrading to V4 firmware requires a re-calibration, or will the saved cal constants from V3.2 work?
I'm waiting on parts to build an IR interface and while I pretty much have all the gear to re-calibrate it, I don't have a stable 300VDC source yet. It's more a "can I do it without having to go through the process"?

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2021, 08:44:29 am »
Hi Bradc,  I ran into cal issues with V4.05. constant warning bar about calibration. I think recalibration would work?.  I  managed to get V3.25 working without issues though.
see my earlier post #172.

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2021, 06:14:19 am »
Hi, I have firmware version 4.02 in PM97, it can be broken, due to bad behavior of
scopemeter, which I can reset /power-on+LCD/ but functions continue to beep...
There is one N28F010 flash which I tried replace by AM29C010B, which not working.
I enclose my file.bin, so Can I replace this file some working versions from this forum?

Offline Pete111

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2021, 04:11:30 am »
I have a printed service manual including schematics that covers the 92B,96B, 99B and 105B, all being series2. I don't know if there is much difference between series 2 and non series 2.
Also not sure of copyright implications of posting; nothing appears in the manual after having a quick flick through.

Regards,
Pete

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2021, 01:14:22 pm »
The processor S83C196KB has 8kByte EEPROM, there could be some way how
to refresh for 4.02 version in N28F010 ??

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2021, 02:21:44 pm »
I have a printed service manual including schematics that covers the 92B,96B, 99B and 105B, all being series2. I don't know if there is much difference between series 2 and non series 2.
Also not sure of copyright implications of posting; nothing appears in the manual after having a quick flick through.

I doubt it would be an issue at this point, but if you wanted to be absolutely sure, you could contact Fluke and ask for permission.  I'm sure the manual would be greatly appreciated as nobody has one AFAIK.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Tom D

• Contributor
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2021, 08:43:15 am »
I scanned my paper copy of the service manual for the 92B-96B-99B-105B Series II a few years ago using a cheap A4 scanner, so if you need to print any of the schematics, you need to tape the single A4 page sheets together. My manual contains the Supplement Issue #1 dated the 20th of October 1996 as well as the Supplement Issue #2 dated the 17th of November, 1996.

My manual PDF is almost 10 MB's in size so I can't attach it to this post as the limit is 4,000 KB. If someone can suggest how to get around this, please say so. Alternatively, those of you who need this, send me your email address in a PM, and if your mailbox can handle a 10 MB file, I will attach my PDF scan in an email to you.

Tom

The following users thanked this post: harrimansat, mahi, chukin, symphonystars

Online BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: July 02, 2021, 10:39:34 am »
Tom sent me the manual(s) to host :

http://www.fnarfbargle.com/private/210702-Fluke-92B-96B-99B-105B_SM/92B-96B-99B-105B_SM.pdf

Edit: And a later version of the non-B manual than I've seen anywhere including all the revision information for both hardware and firmware. Great quality scans, thanks Tom!
http://www.fnarfbargle.com/private/210702-Fluke_93-95-97_SM/93-95-97_SM.pdf
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 11:30:08 am by BradC »

The following users thanked this post: Swake, harrimansat, mahi, lyonsk, graybeard, chukin, symphonystars

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: July 02, 2021, 06:25:23 pm »
wow!!!! Thanks!

Offline Trafo

« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2021, 11:58:41 am »
Tom D & BradC

Many thanks for these manuals but I am still looking for a SM for the Fluke 98 Automotive Scopemeter (Series II).

Regards
Tom

Online mahi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2021, 08:01:35 pm »
Tom D: Thank you for the Fluke ScopeMeter service manuals!

A bit off topic, but may I ask what software you used to scan the manuals? I'm impressed by the quality.

Offline Tom D

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2021, 05:04:50 pm »
G'day mahi,

I created those manuals back in 2003 and 2006, so I'm relying on my memory here. I’m no expert at this manual scanning stuff, however, I’ll try to fill you in on what has worked for me. These manuals were my first attempts at scanning paper manuals and converting to PDF files. I had to make do with a cheap parallel port scanner a friend of mine gave me after my old HP SCSI scanner cashed its chips in, although I have to admit, this parallel port piece of junk performed a fair amount of work before it too eventually entered into a state of rigor mortis. I’ve been reluctant to buy another quality unit as I’ve been trying to find a good, not too expensive A3 scanner. The software supplied with that parallel port scanner was so flaky, it barely ran on XP at the time without crashing, even requiring Windows re-starts when it locked up. I must've had the patience of Job to get through both manuals at that time.

I used the scanner software to create individual monochrome BMP images with the exception of the colour cover for the 93-95-97 Service Manual, which I'll address later. I did not use "Grey Scale" or whatever the scanner software may call it, instead opting for "Line Art, Black & White or Monochrome," again, whatever your software terms it. These "Line Art" images are considerably smaller than "Grey Scale" ones which will ultimately result in a smaller PDF file after conversion later. The drawback with "Line Art" images is that if your pages have photos or shaded schematics, for example, the shading may come out very light or even very dark, whereas pictures or photos will be pretty poor quality depending on how the shading or photo was originally printed. I scanned the pages at 400 dpi or even 300 dpi to further keep the BMP image relatively small. (I found no discernable difference between 300 and 400 dots per inch with this particular scanner). I also noticed that even "Colour" scanned images ended up being smaller than the "Grey Scale" ones at the same resolution with that parallel port piece of junk. Another plus with "Line Art" scans is the fact that the text on the other side of the page doesn’t show up through the page, particularly with thin pages. I never save the scanned image as a JPG because the file becomes a large PDF file after conversion. I know that sounds odd, however, PDF conversion from a larger BMP file resulted in a smaller PDF file with the method I used - there are exceptions, of course. If you do have colour schematic pages to scan, one option is to save them as colour BMP files, however, choose 256 or even 16 colours to keep the individual file sizes small to allow for smaller PDF files after conversion.

I used Adobe Photoshop to edit the individual BMP scans. You’ve probably noticed that there are no binder ring-hole dots on the pages of the manuals as I’ve removed them. It’s relatively quick and simple to remove these or other lines, imperfections and such, straight after each page is scanned, before saving the scanned BMP image through Photoshop as individual PDF files. I then opened the first page with Acrobat 7 and then insert all the pages to make up the manual. Bookmarks were added after the manual was compiled. I performed OCR on the compiled pages and selected "Reduce File Size" in Adobe Acrobat to arrive at a rather small PDF manual at around 10 MBs.

Regarding the colour cover of the 93-95-97 Service Manual, the scanned colour BMP image is just over 100 MBs. Directly converting this colour BMP image to PDF with Adobe Acrobat 9 results in a PDF file size of 1.15 MBs. Selecting "Reduce File Size" from the Toolbar Menu results in a file size of 194 KBs, a far cry from the original colour BMP scan of 100+ MBs. 

There are probably other simpler ways around this whole process, however, I haven’t experimented with them. I tend to get used to doing something a certain way and then sticking with that. Maybe I was taking a "shortcut" by travelling from Chicago to Detroit via Mexico City, but it worked for me at the time. There are other PDF creation programs out there; QuarkXPress is one that comes to mind, however, I’ve had no experience with it, so I can’t tell you anything about it.

I hope this helps, kind regards,

Tom

The following users thanked this post: mahi

Offline jellytot

• Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2021, 03:16:46 pm »
Hi. Does anyone know were I can source the 30 way flat cable that connects the analog and digital pcbs' on the pm97?  Thanks.

Offline DeckelHead

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2021, 11:04:48 pm »
I was wondering if anyone who has actually updated their OS can create an "Idiot's Guide to the Update" for us.... Although most of us are technically savvy, I would assume, a good number do not know anything about the Fluke command set. etc.  For instance, I have no idea if a specialized application is required to upload the new firmware.  There has been mention of a Fluke tool, but when I looked for it, I could not find it anywhere; it really wasn't so 'universal' after all.  :(  And there are some other open questions that I know I would like to understand before I embark on this journey.  Chief among these is.... Will the current calibration be retained over an update?  Although most of our scope probably are way out anyhow (considering that most calibration was probably done 30 years ago), it still is better than nothing.

Basically, I'd love to be able to have steps that I can follow where I can feel confident will actually result in a usable F97 and not a brick.  Right now I just don't feel confident in that.

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2021, 06:36:43 pm »
With the tool created by Marrob is easy to change firmware, but calibration data is not compatible with some versions, 3.xx with 4.xx for example. If you have acces to a calibrator you can calibrete your scope/multimeter. If not is better dont do it. Anyway you can make a calibration data backup and return scope to original firmware. I have flash a B firmare in non B scope and it works. With the Marrob tools is you can always recover the scope.

Offline DeckelHead

• Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2021, 02:54:13 am »
Ah! Thank you!  When i was going over all of the pages of posts on the thread, I missed the one taking you to the other thread!  That helps a LOT.

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2021, 07:13:32 am »
This is working ID for broken scopemeter
 'nacteni identifikatoru pristroje.

CLS                     'Clears the PC screen.
    OPEN "COM1:1200,N,8,1,CS,DS,RB2048" FOR RANDOM AS #1
    PRINT #1, "ID"          'Sends IDENTIFICATION query.
    GOSUB Acknowledge       'Input acknowledge from test tool.
    INPUT #1, IDENT$        'Inputs the queried data.
    PRINT IDENT$            'Displays queried data.
    CLOSE #1
    END

Acknowledge:
    INPUT #1, ACK           'Reads acknowledge from test tool.
    IF ACK <> 0 THEN
       PRINT "Error "; ACK; ": ";
       SELECT CASE ACK
         CASE 1
            PRINT "Syntax Error"
         CASE 2
            PRINT "Execution Error"
         CASE 3
            PRINT "Synchronization Error"
         CASE 4
            PRINT "Communication Error"
         CASE IS < 1
            PRINT "Unknown Acknowledge"
         CASE IS > 4
       END SELECT
       PRINT "Program aborted."
       END
    END IF
    RETURN

It is possible to use for programing flash???

'nahrani flashe pristroje

CLS                     'Clears the PC screen.
    OPEN "COM1:1200,N,8,1,CS,DS,RB2048" FOR RANDOM AS #1
    PRINT #1, "PF"                                                          'Sends program flash query.
    GOSUB Acknowledge                                                'Input acknowledge from test tool.
    INPUT "c:\qbasic\basic\dumb\97.bin" ; IDENT$  'Inputs the queried data.
    PRINT #1, IDENT$                                                   'Sends queried data.
    CLOSE #1
    END

Acknowledge:
    INPUT #1, ACK           'Reads acknowledge from test tool.
    IF ACK <> 0 THEN
       PRINT "Error "; ACK; ": ";
       SELECT CASE ACK
         CASE 1
            PRINT "Syntax Error"
         CASE 2
            PRINT "Execution Error"
         CASE 3
            PRINT "Synchronization Error"
         CASE 4
            PRINT "Communication Error"
         CASE IS < 1
         CASE IS > 4
       END SELECT
       PRINT "Program aborted."
       END
    END IF
    RETURN

Thanks for any idea...

Offline masterok

« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2022, 02:54:19 pm »
Hi guys.
Maybe someone knows how to transfer calibration data of Fluke 97 memory from version 3.20 to version 4.02 and higher?
I extracted N28F010 memory chip, and put a socket instead. Now I can play with the dump.
It was also possible to read calibration data and flash memory of version 3.20.
I also found the location of the calibration data of version 4.
After re-flash device to version 4 by programmer, all additional functions appeared.
But when trying to insert calibration data from a dump 3.20 V 4, the device gives an error.

Offline zagor

« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2024, 08:18:00 pm »
hello I am looking for the firmware version 4.02 of the fluke 97 scopemeter if anyone could help me. thank you

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf