Author Topic: Opinion sought on Testo 760-2 multimeter  (Read 17399 times)

Offline LomaxTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
Opinion sought on Testo 760-2 multimeter
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:40 am »
So I finally got fed up with the poor viewing angle and the lack of a mA range on my Fluke 117 and got rid of it. In my search for a replacement I stumbled upon the Testo 760-2, which looks quite interesting. It certainly ticks all my boxes, wrt price, functionality, display and size (because the best multimeter is the one you happen to have with you). But before I jump in I thought I'd check here if anyone has any experience of these beasts? Here is a link to the datasheet, if anyone's interested.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Opinion sought on Testo 760-2 multimeter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »
That is a rather interesting meter. Buy it and give us a review and tear down!

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
Is it a

Cherman meter ?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:16:58 am »
That is a rather interesting meter. Buy it and give us a review and tear down!

Your wish is my command :) Ordered from Test4Less @ £140 inc VAT & free delivery. Can't promise anything on a tear-down (don't want to void the warranty), but I'll do a little review for y'all. As you say, it's an interesting little meter! On paper, it has all my "must have" features:
  • Pocketable size
  • Large display
  • Backlight
  • RMS
  • mA range
  • Kickstand
  • Min/Max
  • Bargraph
And some very nice bonuses, which tipped me over the edge:
  • Dual display
  • uA range
  • Duty cycle
  • Low pass filter
  • Wide frequency count range (up to 60MHz)
  • Wide capacitance range (down to 1pF)
  • AAA battery powered
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:04:20 pm by Lomax »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:26 pm »
I got the meter today, and here's my initial impression. It's a bit bigger bigger than I thought, blacker and more orange-y as well, and it feels quite light. Viewing angles on the display are excellent, and it remains readable at all angles. The backlight is nice and even with no noticeable hotspots, but it times out after just one minute with no way to force it to remain on. The display is responsive with the bargraph being particularly snappy, and this also shows the current range (e.g. 0-6, 0-600, etc). The dual display function is limited to displaying the frequency of the measured AC voltage/current, which is a little disappointing. On start up, the meter is autoranging and will select AC/DC measuring automatically based on the input signal - while this can be overridden by pressing the A/V buttons to force AC or DC mode, there is no way to manually set the range. Similarly, when pressing the Ohm/continuity/diode/capacitance/etc button, the meter will try to guess what you're trying to measure, which works as poorly as one might suspect, though it's easy to loop through the modes by repeatedly pressing the button. A reassuring "click" from one or more mechanical relays can be heard as you switch between the modes, and it will beep angrily at you (and refuse to switch) if you try to choose current measurement while the probes are in the wrong holes (and vice versa). The selected mode is easy to see thanks to the corresponding button lighting up. The min/max/avg functionality is good, with the meter emitting a gentle beep when the value changes. The kickstand and probe holders on the back are well designed and work very well, and the supplied probes are of high quality with supple silicone leads. The kit also includes a K-type thermocouple adapter with its own internal coin cell battery. This is a meter that has clearly been designed for field use, by a service engineer, and as such it is probably less suitable in an electronics lab.

I like:
  • The display and backlight
  • Buttons for selecting mode
  • That it's IP 64 rated
  • The A/V safety features
  • The kickstand and probe holders

I don't like
  • The inability to manually set range
  • The backlight timing out after 1 min
  • The toy-like colours
  • It's a bit bigger than I hoped!

Edit: Note that the photos have all been taken with the protective plastic still covering the screen - I haven't decided yet if this is a keeper or not!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:04:37 pm by Lomax »

The following users thanked this post: paulbt

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »
Can't wait to see the insides, the internal build quality will really tell if this is a serious contender or just an interesting idea.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:33 pm »
Can't wait to see the insides, the internal build quality will really tell if this is a serious contender or just an interesting idea.
The lengths I go to satisfy my fellow eevbloggers... I opened the case, which is sealed with a rubber o-ring, and rubber washers under the screw heads, and removed the PCB. I immediately regretted doing this; a bizarre design decision has made the LCD panel a separate unit, which stays attached to the front half of the case - while the backlight LEDs remain attached to the PCB, on a flimsy vertical structure which invetiably bent slightly. I managed to put it back together again but it was pretty scary since the diffusion film was loose and I know from experience how easily you end up trapping dust (and fingerprints!) when messing around with them. So, yeah, it's a toy. :(

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, paulbt

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »
Thanks for opening the meter! Input protection looks OK, not stellar, but certainly not bad. SIBA fuses are good, the other assorted input parts are there though they are rather small in size. The weird design decision is a huge fail. You need to be able to easily open the case to replace fuses if they blow. Very very disappointed in the soldering quality too. Flux flux everywhere, and not a sign of cleanup to be seen. Next time you open the case, you might want to take some isopropanol to that soldering flux.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:52:05 pm »
Typical China meter construction

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:58 pm »
A pro multimeter internal to make a side by side view

Look at the details

The following users thanked this post: Lomax

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 03:07:59 pm »
Yes, thanks for opening it up!

I can't help but wonder if all the FETs and/or bilateral switches required to make up for the lack of a rotary switch will make the front end more susceptible to failures.  It brings more control lines in close proximity to the input potentials.

Second the notion of cleaning up all that flux residue from hand-soldering.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:15 pm »
Look at the details
Look at the price tag.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »
You need to be able to easily open the case to replace fuses if they blow.

Yeah, and you can; the fuses are on the back of the PCB - no need to remove it from the case to get to them.

Very very disappointed in the soldering quality too.

Agreed!

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »
So, since I can't return the meter, it will probably end up being a christmas present for one of my non EE friends who is in need of a decent meter, and my own quest will go on. Not sure which brand/model to try next though?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 03:49:17 pm »
And a tip to anyone who might stumble upon this thread in the future, perhaps wanting to open/service one of these meters: in order to avoid damaging the LCD backlight and/or diffusion layer, you need to desolder the two points ringed in red in the attached image before attempting to remove the PCB. This separates the backlight LED module from the PCB.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:33:17 pm by Lomax »

The following users thanked this post: paulbt

• Frequent Contributor
  • Minimalist
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:18 pm »
I can't help but wonder if all the FETs and/or bilateral switches required to make up for the lack of a rotary switch will make the front end more susceptible to failures.

The switching isn't entirely solid-state; there are two rather nice looking Omron 3V relays on the back of the PCB - so I wasn't imagining hearing them!

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:10:34 pm »
Glued relays you mean

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »
Nothing says quality like hot glue inside your meter  :-DMM
for(;;);

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
Thanks for the review and look inside. I would guess that it probably doesn't meet the CAT ratings solely based on the appearance of the fuses. It would be nice to know their ratings too.

Offline vladimirmalic

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:30 pm »
In episode #986 Dave's is giving review of this Testo multimeter.

https://youtu.be/n-pZHhqP4XU?t=651

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 08:34:49 pm »
seems to be hackable in a way,  there is a footprint for an bluetooth module ??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:27:08 am by coromonadalix »

Offline Ralf_CT

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 06:47:20 pm »
Thanks for the review!  I'm a total electronics newbie from a mechanical background, was considering the Testo 760-1, but now decided against it. 

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 03:41:15 am »
May I ask where is it made? I know that Testo is a German company but the styling of the meter does look like a German design but don't know where it is made.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 02:32:05 pm »
I believe their head office is in Lenzkirch in the Black Forest, Germany. My 760-3 was inspected and tested at a facility in Titisee-Neustadt, a few miles north of Lenzkirch. Looking at their website though it implies that they started investing in development and manufacture in China in 2001.

https://www.testo.com/en-UK/company/testo-milestones

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf