Author Topic: Opinions on Oscium's new iPhone/iPad MSO?  (Read 6651 times)

Offline alexwhittemoreTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Opinions on Oscium's new iPhone/iPad MSO?
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:41:42 am »
Looks like there's a new MSO attachment that you can get from Oscium that attaches to an iPhone or an iPad and gives you one analog and four digital channels. http://www.oscium.com/.

It looks cool, and I've always thought it'd be awesome to have an oscilloscope or logic analyzer dongle for my phone, but at the same time, I don't know how I feel about $300 US for 5MHz analog bandwidth and 12MSPS, especially when I've been planning to get a Seeed Studio DSO Quad when it comes out and has some reviews available. $300 seems a little steep in the first place, but for the sake of handheld portable scopes, it kind of pales in comparison to 2 channels at at least 3-6x that bandwidth like the DSO quad has (ACTUALLY, the quad lists 72mhz analog bandwidth, 72MSPS, so either that's for repetitive mode or its simply not finalized, but in any event, 30mhz is believable in single-shot.

Alex

Re: Opinions on Oscium's new iPhone/iPad MSO?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:19:25 am »
The DSO quad you linked is far better in terms of technical specs.

As you say, if you want to look cool get the Oscium. After all, isn't that why you would get the ipad in the first place?

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com

Offline ArtemisGoldfish

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:10 am »
The only way it could possibly be useful (in my opinion) is if the software had some sort of serial decoding capabilities. A single analog channel at 5MHz? Not extraordinarily useful. 4 digital channels? Hahaha, yeaaaah.
John, Hardware Technician, F5 Networks

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:26 am »
if i want to convert linearly...

72MSa/S @ $199.00...                1GSa/S will be $2763.89
12 MSPS @ $297.99...                1GSa/S will be $24,832.5

dude, where you get your math? do you primarily considering this stuff due to asthetics? or try to impress some chicks?

and this is the real joke... Oscium Site...
"which is why it's the preferred scope for the next generation of inventors."
inventors? ??? inventors dont need iphone to invent! all they need is just a few rusty crappy metals.

last night i stumbled with 3GSa/S chip (chip alone!) that cost 3x the price of a complete Rigol, my point? ADC is the most important/expensive part in the DSO.
if you are considering portability, why dont you try to consider Hantek DSO1060 60Mhz or even the USB version 5GSa/S PicoScope 6402, thats more logical in term of math (price/sample rate)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:02:31 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf