Author Topic: Prime Day Heads-Up: Wiha Insulated Screwdrivers  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Re: Prime Day Heads-Up: Wiha Insulated Screwdrivers
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
I have a big set of Wiha drivers and they are great.  I was looking at the Wera driver plugged earlier in this thread but there are several bad reviews saying the magnet drops out and the bits break.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2019, 01:16:38 pm »
Ordered a random flat head for terminals, should have checked the spec, ended up with this :-DD
Sometimes you need them... a lots of them...
Those long ones I have for big plastic music centers. Their screws are deep in long narrow holes.
PH1 long WÜRTH and some of Wiha sets are 20 years in use. But some things like soviet flat
(pinkish head) I remember from childhood.
But in EU is hard to find good deals, some of them I had to buy from USA. Then there is a big
postage cost and import taxes. What you can do...

And yes, if I compare my old Wiha product with exactly the same new one there are light "feel" differences.
Like new products have bit lower standards.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:18:28 pm by janekivi »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Black Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
IMHO, in terms of bit/tip quality, three screwdriver companies stand out: PB Swiss, Wiha, and Wera. They're all superb. (I suspect there are some Japanese brands of equivalent quality that I'm simply not aware of.)

In other things, there are differences. The Wera grips (seen in a reply above) are love-em-or-hate-em (me, I hate them). Wiha's precision drivers have scratchy rotating caps, which I find annoying. (However, their selection of precision drivers is larger.)

So far, the brand I like most is PB Swiss. I've already got lots of screwdrivers of theirs (both precision and regular), which are great. I recently got a ratcheting screwdriver handle of theirs, and I've never in my life used a ratchet with so little play. It just feels gorgeous. Their bits are also super nice, and color coded by kind. (They also cost a fortune.) I am in the process of little by little replacing all my lesser screwdrivers with PB Swiss, as they go on sale from time to time. :)

Add to that list Felo. Have a E-Smart Kit (first revision, metal box, the new ones are a plastic box) that I bought in 2007 and we are now in 2019 and the tips are perfect, no breakage or wearing, bending or missing parts. Been used in all kinds of stuff: Electrical Instalations, Car Mechanics, IT Maintenance, HVAC Maintenance and General Use.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2019, 02:00:34 pm »
I have various Wiha and Wera sets, IMO Wiha > Wera in terms of tip quality, so lately mostly buying Wiha stuff except for L and T allen keys - Bondhus has me locked in there. Wiha's pico finish ones are great too.
Knipex for pliers, rest varies...

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2019, 04:52:41 pm »
IMHO, in terms of bit/tip quality, three screwdriver companies stand out: PB Swiss, Wiha, and Wera. They're all superb. (I suspect there are some Japanese brands of equivalent quality that I'm simply not aware of.)

In other things, there are differences. The Wera grips (seen in a reply above) are love-em-or-hate-em (me, I hate them). Wiha's precision drivers have scratchy rotating caps, which I find annoying. (However, their selection of precision drivers is larger.)

So far, the brand I like most is PB Swiss. I've already got lots of screwdrivers of theirs (both precision and regular), which are great. I recently got a ratcheting screwdriver handle of theirs, and I've never in my life used a ratchet with so little play. It just feels gorgeous. Their bits are also super nice, and color coded by kind. (They also cost a fortune.) I am in the process of little by little replacing all my lesser screwdrivers with PB Swiss, as they go on sale from time to time. :)

Add to that list Felo. Have a E-Smart Kit (first revision, metal box, the new ones are a plastic box) that I bought in 2007 and we are now in 2019 and the tips are perfect, no breakage or wearing, bending or missing parts. Been used in all kinds of stuff: Electrical Instalations, Car Mechanics, IT Maintenance, HVAC Maintenance and General Use.
Having never seen those in person (indeed, I've never heard of that brand), I can't say for certain, but from the pictures in their own catalog, they don't look like they'd be quite as good as PB Swiss.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2019, 05:05:48 pm »
Snap-on drivers are pretty good. I like them best. Strong shank and high torque handles but not so awkward that you can't spin them quickly. Lifetime warranty and free replacements. The precision selection is lacking though as well as insulated tools. It's the only reason I bought any of the Wiha stuff.

Offline ocw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2020, 12:57:44 am »
The Wiha prices, free overnight freight and some other the other prices make me wonder how Arrow survives financially.

I recently started servicing some equipment using QMA RF connector so I thought that I'd price some at Arrow.  I thought that I could afford the TE 2016027-1 QMA connectors for $0.0001 each!  I ordered a bunch and then saw a tariff of $0.386 each for each.  While still incredibly low, due to my limited actual need for them I reduced my order to just five.  That reduced Arrow's inventory of them from 180 to 175 and now the price is shown as $2.14 each, plus the tariff.

I saw a variety of other $0.0001 each items.  Common 1N5817-E3/4 diodes--I will take 100 of those for just one cent!  I can even handle the $0.0235 each tariff for those.  I see them now for $0.11 each.

100 ohm 0.05% 0805 SMD resistors for just $0.0001 each!  I cleaned out the 49 of those which they had.  They did not even charge me the $0.0049 for those and no tariff.

LM324-SR for just $0.024 each and no tariff!  They are still available, now for $0.0244.

The attachment shows some of my other low prices.  I have not checked on what is still available at those prices.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2020, 01:09:31 am »
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/attiny87-a15mz/microchip-technology

$0.05 each, MCU 8-bit AVR RISC 8KB Flash 3.3V/5V

2000 in stock

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2020, 01:15:34 am »
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/cy8c4013sxi-410t/cypress-semiconductor

32-bit ARM Cortex M0 RISC 8KB Flash

$0.13 each, 2000 in stock

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2020, 01:18:35 am »
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/attiny87-a15mz/microchip-technology

$0.05 each, MCU 8-bit AVR RISC 8KB Flash 3.3V/5V

2000 in stock
Ho Lee Fook! Those are $2.52 each on Digikey.  If I bought 2,000 at 5 cents each that would be $100, I could sell them for $2 each and get $4,000 or a $3,900 profit.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2020, 01:39:23 am »
Good luck with that, since you’d be selling against a $0.37 competitive part on DK: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATTINY87-A15MD/1611-ATTINY87-A15MDCT-ND/6833295

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2020, 01:45:31 am »
Buying is easy, selling not always quite so much!

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2020, 01:49:30 am »
Buying is easy, selling not always quite so much!
Very well said!

https://youtu.be/uZBu4mtALFo

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2020, 03:58:09 pm »
I was not serious - Happy New Year y'all!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf