Author Topic: oscilloscope advice  (Read 10644 times)

Offline asliyucegsmTopic starter

• Contributor
oscilloscope advice
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:07:28 am »
my firends
I want to choose me
50mhz and 100mhz
1.OWON SDS7102E
2.ADS-3102A
3.rigol 1052
asliyucegsm Laptop and cars electronic repair

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: oscilloscope advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:10:23 am »
my firends
I want to choose me
50mhz and 100mhz
1.OWON SDS7102E
2.ADS-3102A
3.rigol 1052

1. Owon pretty much suck, not good quality at all. Much better values and performance elsewhere.

2. ADS-3102A - This is a rebadged Siglent SDS1102 it looks like. Not a bad scope (at least that I know of) but the Rigol DS1054Z is hackable to better functionality and as a result is a better value.

3. DS1052E is VERY antiquated, it is not worth the money anymore. Much better to save a bit extra and get the DS1054Z.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:16:17 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:00:08 pm »
Unlike the Rigols that have had every bug listed on this forum in excruciating detail, I am yet to find a bug in my Owon SDS7102V.  Having said that, the feature list of the Rigols are much longer than the Owon for the same money, if you can get them all to work.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »
Could be because no one is looking very hard  :-DD

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »
Unlike the Rigols that have had every bug listed on this forum in excruciating detail,

All three of them.

(at last count)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:00 pm »
my firends
I want to choose me
50mhz and 100mhz
1.OWON SDS7102E
2.ADS-3102A
3.rigol 1052
Welcome to the forum.

In a similar class to those you have listed is the SDS1102CML, I challenge you to find a buglist or documented problems with them. They've been my biggest seller in my marketplace.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=27&T=2&tid=1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline firworks

• Supporter
    • Firworks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:07:35 am »
my firends
I want to choose me
50mhz and 100mhz
1.OWON SDS7102E
2.ADS-3102A
3.rigol 1052
Welcome to the forum.

In a similar class to those you have listed is the SDS1102CML, I challenge you to find a buglist or documented problems with them. They've been my biggest seller in my marketplace.

It seems like maybe the SDS1102X gives you more scope for only a little bit more money? That's the one I've been hovering over the buy button on all day but keep waffling thinking I should just get the 1054Z because everyone has it and it'll be fine. I've watched Dave's video on the Siglent though several times and even the interview he did with the CEO. I'm thinking I'd like to go with the Siglent but I don't want to make a stupid decision. Is there a reason you would suggest that SDS1102CML over the X?

EDIT:
Actually I'm even seeing the 1202X-S for a pretty good price online which has the waveform generator, though I can't find any videos about how that functions.

I've got my 500$ gift card from VW for the TDI debacle burning a hole and am thinking I could finally get a scope I've always wanted to replace/supplement my 20Mhz analog.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:13:31 am by firworks »
For fun, for information? http://firworks.net

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 03:20:34 am »
my firends
I want to choose me
50mhz and 100mhz
1.OWON SDS7102E
2.ADS-3102A
3.rigol 1052
Welcome to the forum.

It seems like maybe the SDS1102X gives you more scope for only a little bit more money? That's the one I've been hovering over the buy button on all day but keep waffling thinking I should just get the 1054Z because everyone has it and it'll be fine. I've watched Dave's video on the Siglent though several times and even the interview he did with the CEO. I'm thinking I'd like to go with the Siglent but I don't want to make a stupid decision. Is there a reason you would suggest that SDS1102CML over the X?
Only price, thinking it's your first DSO and it'd save you a few bucks. BTW the 100 MHz CML is my biggest seller.

But you're quite right the X series, not only is it a much more modern design but a more capable beast.
For the few I've sold buyers have been pleased with them. I'll add these buyers have had other DSO/CRO's before and have had expectations of performance to satisfy which the SDS1kX series has.

Is there further info you require, maybe we could provide a link.

Best wishes for your decision.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline firworks

• Supporter
    • Firworks
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 03:58:44 am »
This will be the first DSO I own but I've used quite a few DSOs over the years both in college and now in industry. They've all been very expensive Tek and Agilent scopes though that I don't need nor can I afford for home use. Your mentioning that the SDS1000X series has better performance is intriguing. Have you used them enough to compare against the reigning champ around here 1054Z? Is the UI generally more responsive on one over the other? Obviously the 1054Z has the advantage in having two extra channels, but I'm not sure how important that would be. Extra channels would be a nicety but not a necessity.

Also asliyucegsm sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread. Hopefully this discussion is useful to you as well trying to decide on a scope?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 05:25:34 am »
This will be the first DSO I own but I've used quite a few DSOs over the years both in college and now in industry. They've all been very expensive Tek and Agilent scopes though that I don't need nor can I afford for home use. Your mentioning that the SDS1000X series has better performance is intriguing. Have you used them enough to compare against the reigning champ around here 1054Z? Is the UI generally more responsive on one over the other? Obviously the 1054Z has the advantage in having two extra channels, but I'm not sure how important that would be. Extra channels would be a nicety but not a necessity.
How to answer that on this forum I'm not sure, other than to say I have not used a 1054Z.

I did mean the SDS1kX series has better performance than the CML series, just in case you misinterpreted my comments.
I know of no problems with the SDS1kX series UI.

If you've been lurking here a while and taking notice of things Yaigol (Google it), you might have second thoughts.
All I can do is offer info, to do more would be bad form so you'll have to make the decision for yourself.

Most of the SDS1kX series technical atributes are examined by rf-loop in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1000x-series-oscilloscopes/
Do take some time to study it.

Further guidance if you can ignore the high noise floor  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/should-i-buy-siglent-sds1202x-or-rigol-1054z/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:24:43 am »
Don't buy anything from Siglent if you are not sure you don't want to sell it on Ebay later...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:01 am »
Don't buy anything from Siglent if you are not sure you don't want to sell it on Ebay later...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

Bullshit. There was one very unclear single case where we do not know whole truth.

Just tell honestly it is used, second hand or what ever but do not claim it is new (if it is new, in original factory paackage untouched, just tell honestly what is this case you want sell it - example purchased accidentally or stolen or some other honest explanation).
What is motivation to continue repeating this disinformation about problems to sell your second hand Siglent equipment.

Also example my customers have sold some they old used Siglent's after they needs have changed.

There is not any Siglent company origin problem to sell your used Siglent equipment where ever markets, not even in ebayshit. For Siglent is is totally nonsense if someone sell, destroy or give away free as gift  his own used Siglent equipment Absolutely, not any problem. Who try tell other truth he do not know what he is talking or he is lying intentionally. Period.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:05:09 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:37 am »
What is motivation to continue repeating this disinformation about problems to sell your second hand Siglent equipment.

The same as the motivation to post that Rigol 'scopes are bugridden and unusable whenever they're mentioned here.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 10:15:24 am »

EDIT:
Actually I'm even seeing the 1202X-S for a pretty good price online which has the waveform generator, though I can't find any videos about how that functions.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-wd.aspx?id=1369&tid=1&T=2

In the Documents section you can download the manual and near the end there's a section for the inbuilt AWG that lists specs and describes function. AFAIK it has the same functionality as the other inbuilt AWG's in DSO's from Siglent and therefore any vids you can find on the AWG for the other models should help you get the picture.

Member Performa01 reviewed the SDS2000 V2 FW AWG in this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000-new-v2-firmware/msg825340/#msg825340

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 10:31:40 am »

The same as the motivation to post that Rigol 'scopes are bugridden and unusable whenever they're mentioned here.
So are you're saying they aren't?

Let's stop this tit for tat shit now, we should all be above this but sadly we're all guilty.

The forum's full of reported bugs in ALL brands, for many they're a big deal, others aren't worried about them at all.
I'd rather they be exposed for all to see, one would hope it gets manufacturers A into G from the ensuing confirmation and discussion.

That rival brands can coexist should be welcomed, without the marketplace competition we'd all be much poorer for it.

My scope's better than your scope....
No it isn't.
Yes it is.
No it isn't
Yes it is.
 :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »
My scope's better than your scope....
No it isn't.
Yes it is.
No it isn't
Yes it is.
 :palm:
:-DD
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 03:04:35 pm »

No, I'm saying they're exaggerated beyond all belief.

If there's a bug, fine, list it.  The list is really quite short.

Don't tell people they're useless and they'd be out of their mind to buy one, because... it's not true. It's a very sensible purchase (provided you know what the three bugs are).

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 04:46:38 pm »

... do not claim it is new ...

So, you say that siglent is right to file a trade mark claim and say the scope is a counterfeit without any proof?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 06:38:11 pm »

So, you say that siglent is right to file a trade mark claim and say the scope is a counterfeit without any proof?

I have never told this. It is your interpretation.
Do not interpret what I have said. Anyone can read what I say.

Here is what I told, exactly. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote from: rf-loop
Bullshit. There was one very unclear single case where we do not know whole truth.

Just tell honestly it is used, second hand or what ever but do not claim it is new (if it is new, in original factory paackage untouched, just tell honestly what is this case you want sell it - example purchased accidentally or stolen or some other honest explanation).

Also example my customers have sold some they old used Siglent's after they needs have changed.

There is not any Siglent company origin problem to sell your used Siglent equipment where ever markets, not even in ebayshit. For Siglent is is totally nonsense if someone sell, destroy or give away free as gift  his own used Siglent equipment Absolutely, not any problem. Who try tell other truth he do not know what he is talking or he is lying intentionally. Period.
QRU
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline firworks

• Supporter
    • Firworks
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 06:40:52 pm »
Dave asked Siglent's CEO about that in the interview they did and he said it was a mistake and they don't want to be doing that.

I'll have some more idea if this was a bad idea tomorrow but I did purchase the SDS1102X. Fingers crossed!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »
How to answer that on this forum I'm not sure, other than to say I have not used a 1054Z.

I did mean the SDS1kX series has better performance than the CML series, just in case you misinterpreted my comments.

Most of the SDS1kX series technical atributes are examined by rf-loop in this thread:
Most of the technical attributes? Only waveforms/s and noise! Noise is actually more interesting (I'm avoiding the word important here) than waveforms/s. There is so much more to a modern DSO than just noise. How about protocol decoding, FFT performance, saving screendumps, connectivity, PC software, overal ease of use, BUGS!, etc, etc.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline firworks

• Supporter
    • Firworks
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 06:46:40 pm »

Most of the technical attributes? Only waveforms/s and noise! Noise is actually more interesting (I'm avoiding the word important here) than waveforms/s. There is so much more to a modern DSO than just noise. How about protocol decoding, FFT performance, saving screendumps, connectivity, PC software, overal ease of use, BUGS!, etc, etc.

I actually meant more about the responsiveness of the UI, and how "well it works" kind of. Like the feel of using it to to testing. I've had to use a Fluke Scopemeter on machine before to do troubleshooting and while the performance stats on it aren't bad, it's very sluggish and frustrating to use. Everything is slow and choppy looking.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
I'll have some more idea if this was a bad idea tomorrow but I did purchase the SDS1102X. Fingers crossed!
You'll be pleased with it.

I actually meant more about the responsiveness of the UI, and how "well it works" kind of. Like the feel of using it to to testing.
As above ^.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 12:50:32 am »

No, I'm saying they're exaggerated beyond all belief.

If there's a bug, fine, list it.  The list is really quite short.

Don't tell people they're useless and they'd be out of their mind to buy one, because... it's not true. It's a very sensible purchase (provided you know what the three bugs are).

Don't mislead people about HOW MANY bugs there actually are in the Rigol DS1054z.

I can list 10 without even trying hard.... and that's NOT including the "fan noise" or the "can't push a knob without turning it" complaints.

And also please don't imply that I have ever claimed that the scope is "unusable"-- after all, I use mine every day, that's how I keep finding the bugs!
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:09 pm »
It's a very sensible purchase (provided you know what the three bugs are).

Don't mislead people about HOW MANY bugs there actually are in the Rigol DS1054z.

I can list 10 without even trying hard....

How many of those affect people who simply hook up the probes and look at waveforms?

The pulse count can be wrong, the math functions don't always work, and....?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf