Author Topic: Oscilloscope input noise comparison  (Read 31912 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope input noise comparison
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2018, 07:06:38 pm »
I guess that also a ferrrite on the USB-cable gives some improvement.

I have a ferrite on both USB and power cable, but when I installed it, I did not see a whole lot of difference. I also looked at the common mode noise "delivered" via the power cable, but did not find any correlation between the spurs and the common mode noise. Should do the same for the USB also. I will try to post some results of this later on.

I did see a bit of improvement on 4262 by making two loops of USB cable trough ferite... But not much..

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline ADT123

• Regular Contributor
    • Pico Technology
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »
The PicoScope 5000 contains 8 x ADCs each of which can sample at 125MS/s.  In 12 bit mode time interleaving is used to increase the sampling rate - matching between ADCs is not quite perfect hence the interleaving spurs.  These are small / within spec so this is normal.

In 14 bit mode each channel has 2 ADCs in parallel (to increase resolution / reduce noise) so there are no interleaving spurs.  In spectrum mode 14 bits is great unless you need > 62.5MHz. 

More generally for all scopes using FFTs its best to increase the number of points to spread the noise between as many bins as possible.  Also its best to measure to a higher bandwidth than you need.  Eg if measuring just audio to 20kHz then measure to say 10MHz and zoom in on the 0 to 20kHz range - this ensures higher frequency noise does not get folded back into the range you are measuring / displaying.  Add in some averaging and perhaps also the hardware bandwidth limit and its amazing what you can detect.
Disclaimer: I have worked for Pico Technology for over 30 years and designed some of their early oscilloscopes. 

We are always recruiting talented hardware and software engineers! Happy to answer Pico related questions when time permits but here as electronics is a hobby

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, _Wim_, 2N3055, Caliaxy

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2018, 08:20:43 pm »
These are the common mode profiles for both USB and power cable. These look "bad", but this is due to the sensitivity of the used current probe (>40V/A from 10Mhz and up). When I compare this with other result I have got in the past, the peaks are quite low and also did not match with the 31.25MHz. 
The probe used is a Tegam 95242-1 (some model number is also sold by ETS-lindgren, I suspect they are identical).
I also made a comparison plot (with shorted input) when the Picoscope power adaptor was plugged into a very clean power outlet (isolation transformer output) and from a normal "noisy" power outlet. Some very small differences were seen. The wider trace is due to shorter averaging time. For me this means that the spurs are mainly internally generated by the ADC (because they practically disappear when the "precision 14 bit mode is used".
P.S: the above current probe is normally intended to inject common mode current, but so far I have no suitable high bandwidth power amp for this.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »
The PicoScope 5000 contains 8 x ADCs each of which can sample at 125MS/s.  In 12 bit mode time interleaving is used to increase the sampling rate - matching between ADCs is not quite perfect hence the interleaving spurs.  These are small / within spec so this is normal.

In 14 bit mode each channel has 2 ADCs in parallel (to increase resolution / reduce noise) so there are no interleaving spurs.  In spectrum mode 14 bits is great unless you need > 62.5MHz. 

More generally for all scopes using FFTs its best to increase the number of points to spread the noise between as many bins as possible.  Also its best to measure to a higher bandwidth than you need.  Eg if measuring just audio to 20kHz then measure to say 10MHz and zoom in on the 0 to 20kHz range - this ensures higher frequency noise does not get folded back into the range you are measuring / displaying.  Add in some averaging and perhaps also the hardware bandwidth limit and its amazing what you can detect.

Hi, thanks for your explanation, I didn't notice before you had posted also (got no notification some-one posted while I was typing). Great to have somebody (previously) related to Pico here on the forum.

Can you provide some more info on the differences in clock specs between the 5442B and the 5444B? Is it only because of the higher ETS sample rate?

Offline ADT123

• Regular Contributor
    • Pico Technology
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2018, 07:26:06 am »
_Wim_ the crystal oscillator in the higher end model is simply a more expensive one that is calibrated at final test.  Other than the accuracy of frequency measurements there should be no other differences.  Other specs such as jitter are the same.
Disclaimer: I have worked for Pico Technology for over 30 years and designed some of their early oscilloscopes. 

We are always recruiting talented hardware and software engineers! Happy to answer Pico related questions when time permits but here as electronics is a hobby

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, _Wim_

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2018, 08:41:23 am »
_Wim_ the crystal oscillator in the higher end model is simply a more expensive one that is calibrated at final test.  Other than the accuracy of frequency measurements there should be no other differences.  Other specs such as jitter are the same.

Thanks for this info, if it is only about absolute frequency accuracy, that less of interest to me.

Offline maxwell3e10Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2019, 07:46:11 am »
I got a more recent model of Owon XDS3062A scope (due to a sale at Arrow.com). The input noise spectrum of it looks somewhat better than an earlier version of the same scope. White noise level is quite low at about 3.5 nV/sqrt(Hz). The rms noise is 46 uV and it remains the same up to full scale of 100mV, thanks to 12 bit ADC. But there is significant 1/f noise and a number of prominent noise  peaks, in particular one near 1.3 MHz. 

The scope also came with a built-in function generator and it has a basic frequency response analysis function (gain and phase) that seems to work OK. The function generator has the same clock as the scope, which can also have some advantages. Not bad for less than $200!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:48:11 am by maxwell3e10 »

Online srce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2019, 09:51:03 am »
Here are some results for a Keysight MSOS204A.

Vertical: 1mV/div - 8 divisions - 10bit
Horizontal: 5uS/div - 20GSa/s - 1Mpts

Yellow is 20MHz B/W (s/w filter) - 50 Ohm - 44uV AC RMS - 350uVpp
Blue is 2.1GHz B/W - 50 Ohm - 115uV AC RMS - 1.1mVpp
50 Ohm terminators on BNC inputs.

2GHz data 50 Ohm

20MHz data 50 Ohm

And here's another one with the same settings:

8.4GHz - 50 Ohm - 248uV AC RMS - 2.4mVpp

8.4GHz data 50 Ohm

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:34:51 pm by srce »

Offline Nanoman

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2020, 06:07:03 pm »
The Picoscope details I have seen show an integrated CMOS transimpedance buffer intended for DSOs from TI that by itself has 100 times the noise of a discrete front end at low frequencies.  I mean literally 1000nV/SqrtHz where a discrete design could be 10nV/SqrtHz.

So a broadband RMS noise of 125.7uV over 200MHz does not surprise me at all and that is about 5 times worse than my 40+ year old 200MHz analog oscilloscopes.

3000/5000 series ADA4817-1 (4nV), recent series of scopes. Obsolete versions (early 2000's) employed discrete jfet front ends.
2000 series          ADA4891-1 (9nV) or AD8065 (7nv) (25MHz versions)
4000 series          ADA4891-1 (8 channel scope) and AD8065 on older 20MHz scopes and 4817 on 16bit scope
6000 series          BF998 mosfet (~6nV, obsolete device), 6404 is ~12nv due to attenuator configuration

Either Analog Devices parts or discrete jfet/mosfets. The ADA4891 measures closer to 12nV due to 1/f contribution.

I used to design scopes at Pico and wanted to clear up this misinformation, noise is a critical scope spec and we'd use the best parts whenever possible.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, nctnico, egonotto, Andreas, _Wim_, ADT123, 2N3055

Offline ILIJA

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2023, 11:13:44 am »
Hi
Can you share script you used  to compute nV/sqrt(Hz)?
Thank you

The following users thanked this post: dobsonr741

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf