Author Topic: Oscilloscope Recommendation  (Read 12243 times)

Offline timwolfTopic starter

• Contributor
Oscilloscope Recommendation
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:53:27 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy an oscilloscope and at the moment I'm trying to decide between the Rigol DS1054Z or splurging for the Siglent SDS1104X-E, taking in mind that I think i can still generate a key for the rigol to bring it to 100Mhz. Which would be the better buy, or could you recommend something better? Thank you.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:04:53 pm »
Budget, required capabilities/what do you need it for?  I can recommend a hundred better but I don't know anything about you or your needs.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:12:19 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy an oscilloscope and at the moment I'm trying to decide between the Rigol DS1054Z or splurging for the Siglent SDS1104X-E, taking in mind that I think i can still generate a key for the rigol to bring it to 100Mhz. Which would be the better buy, or could you recommend something better? Thank you.
Forum searches reveal several threads on this same question:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-vs-rigol-ds1054z/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-vs-rigol-ds1054z-advice/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-vs-rigol-ds1054z/

And this one for the full picture of SDS1104X-E:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

Every such thread turns into a bun fight with supporters of each offering their views but despite this the Siglent is a higher spec DSO with an additional feature set that accounts for the higher price.

Happy hunting.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Someone

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:35:57 pm »
Preferably something around $500, I would like to use it for CAN and troubleshooting signal lines, as well as learning intermediate to advanced techniques.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:04:46 am »
Preferably something around $500, I would like to use it for CAN and troubleshooting signal lines, as well as learning intermediate to advanced techniques.
SDS1104X-E can easily meet these requirements plus more and fits perfectly with your budget.
I've had one in the beta stages before release and even with reasonable DSO experience took me some time to master all its features and capabilities and still we learn what it can do.....
It's a very fine little DSO and one of my best sellers.

Later down the track there are additional options it supports that can be added whenever the need arises like AWG, 16ch MSO and WiFi.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Illusionist

• Regular Contributor
  • Why is the rum gone?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:38:33 am »
...I think i can still generate a key for the rigol to bring it to 100Mhz...

You can still unlock the SDS1104X-E to 200MHz.

A few months ago I went through a similar decision process with a similar budget. The Siglent won and I've been really happy with it, especially turned up to 200MHz.

As a hobbyist, I couldn't afford/justify the cost of the 200MHz version but being able to unlock it meant that Siglent got a sale they might not have otherwise. Actually two sales, because I just bought the SDG1032x AWG while it's on offer to go with the 'scope.
Agilent 34410A, GW Instek 8251A, Thurlby 1905A, Siglent DS1104X-E(unlocked), SDG1032X(unlocked), Micsig DP10013 MX, LeCroy PP008 500MHz Probes, Fluke 179

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 10:14:12 am »
Hello Everyone,

If you just want a cheap 'scope that's built like a rock and does all the basics, get the Rigol.

If you want to spend a bit more: Skip the Siglent and go for a Keysight 1000X (about $670). It has way more processing power, much better/faster UI, and the stuff it can do makes the Rigols and Siglents look like toys by comparison.

nb. All three are hackable for bandwidth/features.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:18:01 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Illusionist

• Regular Contributor
  • Why is the rum gone?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:01 pm »
...Skip the Siglent and go for a Keysight 1000X (about $670)...

Is that a four channel at that price though? In the UK, the 4-channel DSO1204X is about double the price of the SDS1104X-E.

Tho OP mentioned CAN bus. Four channels is much better than two for troubleshooting communications buses.
Agilent 34410A, GW Instek 8251A, Thurlby 1905A, Siglent DS1104X-E(unlocked), SDG1032X(unlocked), Micsig DP10013 MX, LeCroy PP008 500MHz Probes, Fluke 179

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:20 pm »
Hello Everyone,

If you just want a cheap 'scope that's built like a rock and does all the basics, get the Rigol.

If you want to spend a bit more: Skip the Siglent and go for a Keysight 1000X (about $670). It has way more processing power, much better/faster UI, and the stuff it can do makes the Rigols and Siglents look like toys by comparison.

nb. All three are hackable for bandwidth/features.
A $670 Keysight 1000x will only be 2ch, while both scopes the OP refereed to are 4ch. The Keysight 4ch jumps to $1080.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 04:57:23 pm »
Where can I find the combo deal for the scope and the AWG, also where could i find the resource to unlock the scope?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 05:12:37 pm »
If you are talking about the Siglent, check its price at Saelig. It already comes with the entire protocol suite and you can add the AWG for $250.

If you want both equipment separate, they also sell a bundle with scope + AWG.

I think Saelig has a EEVBlog discount as well.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Illusionist

• Regular Contributor
  • Why is the rum gone?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 05:56:04 pm »
The unlocking post is here, the rest of that thread is worth scanning over too:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds1104x-e-hack-to-200mhz-and-full-options/msg2258400/#msg2258400

The method might now require downgrading the firmware from the latest (not a problem - you can upgrade again afterwards without losing the 'extras'). It worked for me on the previous firmware. Also read towards the end of the thread about keeping the ability to telnet in after (re)upgrading (thanks to Plurn - around post 95). It's all actually easier than it looks at first.

I don't know about combo deals, but here in UK/EU the SDG1032x is currently on a really good offer. Don't know if it is in the US. That's also unlockable up to 60MHz from 30MHz.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:04:39 pm by Illusionist »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 06:02:03 pm »
...Skip the Siglent and go for a Keysight 1000X (about $670)...
Is that a four channel at that price though? In the UK, the 4-channel DSO1204X is about double the price of the SDS1104X-E.

A $670 Keysight 1000x will only be 2ch

It's actually a three channel - two analog and one digital. I'm not sure why Keysight seems to avoid mentioning it in their marketing.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 06:18:03 pm »
Where can I find the combo deal for the scope and the AWG, also where could i find the resource to unlock the scope?
I bought my SDS1104X-E at Saelig, but did not get the AWG. They do offer an EEVBlog discount and free shipping and likely no sales tax if you don't live in NY state.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:44 pm »
Package deals will be dealer specific as I'm not aware of any factory promos for the SDS1104X-E + AWG.
In the US try these guys:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/equipment-discounts-from-saelig/

Unlocking:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/unlocking-siglent-sds1104x-e-step-by-step/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:53 pm »

I looked into the Siglent but it did not quite meet my needs at the time, I don't think there's a significant benefit to the 1000X unless you believe the marketing 'Toy' wank. I use my DSOX1102G from time to time, it's a nice scope but nothing special.

Don't know why there are so many noob 'What scope should I buy' questions, it's been well covered on the forum and unless it's for the mantel shelf look at the data sheet figure out what meets your needs and ask specific questions if you don't understand a spec/application note. There's no benefit to asking which is the best unless your trying to be the cool kid ion the block with the fancy toy.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 11:49:13 pm »

I looked into the Siglent but it did not quite meet my needs at the time, I don't think there's a significant benefit to the 1000X unless you believe the marketing 'Toy' wank. I use my DSOX1102G from time to time, it's a nice scope but nothing special.

Don't know why there are so many noob 'What scope should I buy' questions, it's been well covered on the forum and unless it's for the mantel shelf look at the data sheet figure out what meets your needs and ask specific questions if you don't understand a spec/application note. There's no benefit to asking which is the best unless your trying to be the cool kid ion the block with the fancy toy.

It's basically because I'm spending a lot of money, and I'd like to make sure my money is well spent, I do admit even though I haven't read all of the forum postings on oscilloscopes, I would like to know the very few i picked out, mainly the rigol and the sigilent were not the only options, i didn't realize the Keysight was an option before, now I will have to evaluate the keysight oscilloscope, but the price point is already around $850, so i may not go that route unless it has all the bells and whistles that would make sense down the road.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 11:50:28 pm »
Can anyone PM the discount code for saelig website?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 12:31:59 am »
Can anyone PM the discount code for saelig website?
Sure, ask for it in the thread please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 12:40:58 am »
I would like to know the very few i picked out, mainly the rigol and the sigilent were not the only options, i didn't realize the Keysight was an option before, now I will have to evaluate the keysight oscilloscope, but the price point is already around $850, so i may not go that route unless it has all the bells and whistles that would make sense down the road.
If you start looking at the KS it's a 2 GSa/s DSO and an equivalent Siglent SDS2202X-E is 200 MHz with 28 Mpts memory for $ 619 and has the same feature set as SDS1104X-E except 2 less channels.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 09:33:18 am »
It's basically because I'm spending a lot of money, and I'd like to make sure my money is well spent, I do admit even though I haven't read all of the forum postings on oscilloscopes, I would like to know the very few i picked out, mainly the rigol and the sigilent were not the only options, i didn't realize the Keysight was an option before, now I will have to evaluate the keysight oscilloscope, but the price point is already around $850, so i may not go that route unless it has all the bells and whistles that would make sense down the road.

If it's something you'll be using for a few years then $170 more isn't a lot for what you get.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 10:02:04 am »

The 1000X uses the same ASIC as the much more expensive Keysight oscilloscopes and therefore has essentially the same performance. That's a large part of the attraction for many people.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 02:28:04 pm »
The 1000X uses the same ASIC as the much more expensive Keysight oscilloscopes and therefore has essentially the same performance. That's a large part of the attraction for many people.

Yep.

Plus the firmware is really comprehensive/capable (this is the part that makes the others look like "toys", not the base hardware specs).

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 08:50:55 pm »
I don't think there's a significant benefit to the 1000X unless you believe the marketing 'Toy' wank.

No, I have both the 1102G and a 3000T, the 1102G is NOT the same performance and/or specs. Yes it shares the same now OLD ASIC but the FW on the 1102G cripples it severely. It's not a competitive low-cost value scope.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 08:54:06 pm »
No, I have both the 1102G and a 3000T, the 1102G is NOT the same performance and/or specs. Yes it shares the same now OLD ASIC but the FW on the 1102G cripples it severely. It's not a competitive low-cost value scope.
How is the performance crippled?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf