Author Topic: OSCILLOSCOPE SAFETY ALTERNATE METHOD  (Read 517 times)

Offline jisake2Topic starter

OSCILLOSCOPE SAFETY ALTERNATE METHOD
« on: February 15, 2024, 03:16:37 pm »
Relatively new to using an Oscilloscope. After viewing EEVblog#279 video - How NOT to blow up your oscilloscope (and/or High Voltage Oscilloscope Probe), joining the EEVblog. I have over 50 years experience working with VOM's. Now entering into an area I have need of an Oscilloscope.
I attached a photo in concept which I believe prevents an exploded probe or worse. Using a stand alone power supply (Trust that will isolate the grounding?) Then using a handheld oscilloscope that is battery powered.

Believe the only time common ground could be a factor is if devices are charged with grid power when used. Let me know your thoughts?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: OSCILLOSCOPE SAFETY ALTERNATE METHOD
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 03:37:53 pm »
Don't forget that the concept of "ground" and "earth" is merely a concept/model that is useful in some circumstances. Consider, for example, what "earth/ground" means in an aircraft.

Basically, it looks like you don't understand the many ways high energy circuits can damage you and/or equipment.

If you are going to be working on high energy[1] circuits, then I suggest you read the references given at https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/ to find out the different types of scopes and probes, why they exist, and what they do and don't do.

Pay particular attention to the anecdote about "someone that took precautions and still killed themself." Understand why HV differential probes can be useful.

[1] not all high voltages are high energy: I have school equipment with exposed terminals in the 250-500V range, and a handheld tester that puts out 3kV. Similarly some high energy circuits are low voltage: consider shorting out a car lead-acid battery
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:40:09 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 03:58:11 pm »
Instead of killing your scope, you may kill yourself!

Many handheld scopes are unsafe if the probe ground is clipped to a high voltage node.   Anything that lets you touch the metal BNC connector, or has a metal or part metal case is unsafe for floating use >50V.  The ones you can do this safely with are generally scopemeters with fully shrouded probe connectors and a Cat II or better rating.

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 08:43:05 pm »
Depending on the probes and the voltages involved, you can use two channels on your scope along with math to act as a pseudo-differential probe. Observe the maximum probe voltage limits (typically under 600Vp-p) and of course don't connect the scope probe grounds to the device under test.

Better option is to buy a high voltage differential probe.  I have the DP20003 and it's passable: https://www.micsig.com/Differential%20Probe04/

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 09:57:32 pm »
+1 vote for the differential probe.
It's not that expensive these days, Micsigs are around 200 USD. I think the person's safety is worth that much.

My method for maximum 500V AC measurement without Diff probe is that.
1. I use only one channel of the hand scope.
2. I insulate all the others with a rubber cap.
3. I only use a suitable probe, which was designed for this purpose.
Insulated BNC connection and the correct design for the measuring needle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134466286896?
Thanks coromonadalix, I didn't know that the Ebay link was only needed up to the question mark. I'm always learning something new :D

4. The grounding of the BNC and the grounding of the calibration square signal and, if there is one, the grounding of the built-in AWG are connected! You also have to insulate them properly!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:28:33 am by csuhi17 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf