Author Topic: Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk  (Read 66241 times)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2021, 08:20:45 pm »
It's been a long standing implementation of capture strategy by LeCroy, Pico scope and Siglent all of which are respected brands in their respective fields.
It allows more power to the user other than in corner use cases.

AFAIK it's still on a low priority list for Siglent to modify to suit those that can't/won't adapt to a different way of reaching the same result.
Not having a Siglent/LeCroy/Pico, I can't comment on the practicality aspects between Zoom In and Zoom Out, but this latest skirmish highlights Siglent's decision to not change the behaviour of their Mem Depth setting from "Maximum usable memory" to "User set memory" - IMHO a non-catastrophic bug, but still a bug.

Yes you can stop and after then zoom out and look if there is...It is difficult to understand how some believe they get more if this upper part of image is hidden and exchanged with some nearly nonsense horizontal bargraph. Or I just have to learn to see the emperor’s new clothes and know how to praise them.
rf-loop, is there a way to resize/collapse this top zoomed out part? If negative, then I am on the camp that prefers the "nearly nonsense horizontal bargraph" - I have more space to look at the waveform.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #451 on: March 05, 2021, 12:02:39 am »
It's been a long standing implementation of capture strategy by LeCroy, Pico scope and Siglent all of which are respected brands in their respective fields.

AFAIK it's still on a low priority list for Siglent to modify to suit those that can't/won't adapt to a different way of reaching the same result.
Not having a Siglent/LeCroy/Pico, I can't comment on the practicality aspects between Zoom In and Zoom Out, but this latest skirmish highlights Siglent's decision to not change the behaviour of their Mem Depth setting from "Maximum usable memory" to "User set memory" - IMHO a non-catastrophic bug, but still a bug.
No it's a design decision and for good reason and common to all 3 brands.

Any change to current behaviour could impact on specifications optimised by the current design philosophy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #452 on: March 05, 2021, 12:25:41 am »

Any change to current behaviour could impact on specifications optimised by the current design philosophy.
No, it doesn't (and not only on Siglent but also for Lecroy and Picoscope scopes). That is the real kicker! So quit the marketing BS. Nobody is buying it. You can't even explain what the benefit is of this so called 'design choice' is anyway.

The reason I know that there are no downsides to adding 'zoom out' is because I have designed & build oscilloscope (like) data acquisition systems.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:37:12 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:46 am »

No, it doesn't (and not only on Siglent but also for Lecroy and Picoscope scopes). That is the real kicker! So quit the marketing BS. Nobody is buying it. You can't even explain what the benefit is of this so called 'design choice' is anyway.

The reason I know that there are no downsides to adding 'zoom out' is because I have designed & build oscilloscope (like) data acquisition systems.

Well,  it is a design philosophy, by choice, which defines architecture. And you cannot know how easy is to add something to already released product, unless it is you who designed it or have privileged knowledge.

And I highly doubt what you designed some time ago was even close to complexity of SDS2000X+. And with that I don't mean you're not smart enough or something like that. Far from it. I simply don't think you had resources to undertake such a project and work on it for years doing nothing else. And with silicone available then. SDS2000X+ is a huge project.
To be honest, I don't know either whether it can be done or not or how "easy" it would be to implement this as an afterthought. Only Siglent does.

But what I do know, that it is not a problem per se. It is simply different way of working, and LeCroy, for instance, shows no intention to change it and customers are fine with it. They address usability the way I already explained to you several times, by having more flexible viewports and zoom windows.  If SDS2000X+ would allow for zoom overview window to be shrunk to very small, you wouldn't even know you're in zoom window and would work the same as you do on your RTM3000. On my Picoscope  I capture full timebase length by deciding I'm going to capture 200 ms, and then open as many different views I like, looking at different parts of waveform at different zoom settings at the same time. Beauty..  See attachment.

But to be honest, on SDS2000x+, when you enable zoom, what screen is left is still bigger than my whole screen on Keysight 3000T.. So yeah, not such a big deal....

Also, to repeat from before, better is better. If they can improve on this, so people like you can have it their way too, it is going to make it even better. But it is not a showstopper. It simply isn't perfect. Which (being perfect on entry level products) for some reason is not requirement for big brands like Keysight and R&S and LeCroy.  They are allowed to make products that are deliberately limited for marketing purposes. With them it is business decisions and "small niggles". With Siglent and Rigol it's "crap I wouldn't buy"...

For instance, on your RTM3000, when you grab your full memory (the way you do it, because it supports that  :-+), what do you do with it? How do you search through 400 MB of SPI or I2C messages?
You don't. Because of a small niggle that it doesn't even support that... You save data to the stick and take it to the PC and analyze it in Excel. To me that is not a workflow acceptable to me.
In my opinion, you would have been better off by buying Picoscope 6403E, and grab and analyze it directly on a PC. And what you have is a 9000€ scope when it is on special discount.

Your crusade over this "it works differently than what I am used to, so it must be wrong" is very much unimportant distraction over more important thing:

Will SDS2000X+ allow you to do more work and enable you to do stuff you cannot if you buy similarly priced DSOX1204G ?

Does DSOX1204G have:
- 10" touch screen
- histograms
- histicons
- trend plots
- low noise 500uV/div real hardware sensitivity.
- CAN FD trigger/decode
- 100 MPoints per ch (200 MPoint max interleaved)
- 50 Ohm inputs
- Zone  trigering
- all the advance triggering modes
- 2 Mpoint FFT
- Multichannel FRA
- 16 digital channels (paid option, but it is there to be had if MSO is needed)

All of these are real advantages, directly usable every day and in every scenario. All of that makes this SDS20000X+ more like something between R&S RTB2000 and RTM3000, for the price of DSOX1204G...
Apart from this "I would like to use memory differently" niggle, it's a steal... In it's price range it is a king. Together with some compromises, still a price category winner.

And know what, funny thing, people that actually own it and use it have no problems with it. Funny that... Only armchair warriors that don't even own one have problems with it.

I do get it, it is different than what you're used to. And when I first tried ANY piece of equipment it felt weird. MSOX3000T is touted by people here as "best usability, most intuitive, easiest to use". That's crap. It's not. If you're coming from 10 years of using Tektronix, it won't be logical at all.. But few weeks later, after you memorize things by doing it, it feels natural. Same as people, saying, "Picoscope is weird, I cannot use scope on a PC". Yes you can, and it's fine. It's just different. And after you let yourself go of the biases, you realize how superior is sometimes to Keysight 3000T. for some type of work.

Regards,
Sinisa

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2021, 10:34:41 am »

So you'll have no problem explaining the benefits of this design choice, right?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:07 am »

Well,  it is a design philosophy, by choice, which defines architecture. And you cannot know how easy is to add something to already released product, unless it is you who designed it or have privileged knowledge.
It is not a design philosophy. Remember that zoom mode can be used to force use of all the memory while the oscilloscope still works the same. All Siglent needs to do is add a flag to the software which causes the memory length to be what the user selected and hide the zoom window. All the lower level logic is already present in the hardware and software. It is a UI change only.  If Siglent makes this simple modification then they have a nearly ideal scope.

And for sure you can go raving on about other features but please read back to my 'wide turning circle car' example. Different people have different needs. I rarely (close to never) use search so for me this is not a deal breaker. However I'm not going to ridicule you for 'search on protocol decoding' being a deal breaker for you. I respect your needs so please respect mine. For me no 'zoom out' is a deal breaker because I use it often. Als note that I have owned a Siglent scope and not having the 'zoom out' mode enabled permanently annoyed the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:24:54 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2021, 12:06:34 pm »
It is not a design philosophy. Remember that zoom mode can be used to force use of all the memory while the oscilloscope still works the same. All Siglent needs to do is add a flag to the software which causes the memory length to be what the user selected and hide the zoom window.

Yep. No changes are needed at all. If it can capture the full memory when it's zoomed out then it can capture the full memory when it's zoomed in. No parameters have changed.

It's probably more work to not fill the whole memory.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2021, 12:26:13 pm »

It is not a design philosophy. Remember that zoom mode can be used to force use of all the memory while the oscilloscope still works the same. All Siglent needs to do is add a flag to the software which causes the memory length to be what the user selected and hide the zoom window. All the lower level logic is already present in the hardware and software. It is a UI change only.  If Siglent makes this simple modification then they have a nearly ideal scope.

And for sure you can go raving on about other features but please read back to my 'wide turning circle car' example. Different people have different needs. I rarely (close to never) use search so for me this is not a deal breaker. However I'm not going to ridicule you for 'search on protocol decoding' to be a deal breaker for you. I respect your needs so please respect mine.

I'm not raving when it's facts. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to express myself very concisely in a foreign language. So I do generate lots of words.. Sorry for that.

You cannot ridicule me for  for 'search on protocol decoding'  because that is valid point and very much important. What you propose is special case of optimization that is, while can be nice in your specific case , which I agree, is not a deal breaker, because it can be accomplished to the full if you sacrifice a little bit of (very large) screen.  Not being able to do something at all and being able to do something but with small compromises is a big difference. Big difference.
Is it ideal ? No. Would it be nice if they did this? Sure.
I couldn't care less, but they would gain potential new customers that do care. Win-Win.
But as thousands of buying customers that voted with their money show, it isn't a priority. They can't make them as fast as they sell.. So obviously, it is not a big deal.

I'm not ridiculing you. After lengthy discussion before, when I finally understood what you meant about this, I did concur that it might have merit in some cases, and that it is a valid request. But I do not consider it basic requirement, but more of refinement. For the record, my opinion was to add it if possible. Just, not very high priority, because it is scope in active development and some other stuff is higher priority. That is all.

And I'm sure that Siglent will be pleased with your comment: " If Siglent makes this simple modification then they have a nearly ideal scope." That is actually a big compliment, coming from you, as a user with vast experience and who is sometimes very particular about details. If that is all needed to be added, that means they are on a very good path. And once they get to it to add this too, they will have very, very good product.

Stay safe,

Sinisa

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2021, 12:47:44 pm »
That is actually a big compliment, coming from you, as a user with vast experience and who is sometimes very particular about details.

Totally agree there. I would say the strongest I've ever seen from nico regarding Siglent. :)

Even tautech will start coding...

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2021, 01:07:35 pm »
And pigs might fly.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: March 05, 2021, 01:50:48 pm »
“With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine“ (RFC1925)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, 2N3055

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #461 on: March 05, 2021, 04:04:27 pm »

It is not a design philosophy. Remember that zoom mode can be used to force use of all the memory while the oscilloscope still works the same. All Siglent needs to do is add a flag to the software which causes the memory length to be what the user selected and hide the zoom window.
Boy, that escalated fast.

At any rate, thanks Sinisa and tautech for the additional insights. I still am on the camp of "bug", but I guess that is how I roll... In my DS4014 I can set the full 140Mpts and leave it at that throughout the horizontal range (from 1ns/div to 1000ks/div) and take the penalty on the wfm.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: March 05, 2021, 07:03:57 pm »
Boy, that escalated fast.

At any rate, thanks Sinisa and tautech for the additional insights. I still am on the camp of "bug", but I guess that is how I roll... In my DS4014 I can set the full 140Mpts and leave it at that throughout the horizontal range (from 1ns/div to 1000ks/div) and take the penalty on the wfm.

Rafael, you are absolutely correct, it is nice to be able to chose. As I said before I'm all for that.  I don't call it bug, because, it would be bug if it was on the menu and datasheet and then, when you click it, it doesn't work. That's a bug.

What you could call it is a missing feature. That is it. How important it is, is a matter of debate, QED....  :-DD..
I would presume Siglent wants customers to be happy, and if feasible, they will add it. If that will attract more customers, adding features will happen.
But I would presume that changing fundamental features how timebase and acquisitions work, would need massive testing if all the rest of the scope still works as it should.
So even if it was implemented right now, it would probably warrant a new major FW number and testing that goes with it.

To make it clear, I have no clue what is really happening in Siglent in regard to this, those are my presumptions how I would do it if I was in charge of that.

Take care and stay safe,

Siniša

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2021, 07:11:15 pm »

I guess the benefit to Siglent of making this change, is that potential customers that are used to Agilent / Keysight products would no longer miss this feature.

It seems to me that it might be a problem to implement it in a responsive way without the magic of the Megazoom tech?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2021, 07:14:00 pm »
I guess the benefit to Siglent of making this change, is that potential customers that are used to Agilent / Keysight products would no longer miss this feature.
It is not just Agilent / Keysight; every other oscilloscope manufacturer out there has zoom-out on their DSOs! Siglent and Lecroy are the outliers who don't have it.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #465 on: March 05, 2021, 07:17:21 pm »
It is not just Agilent / Keysight; every other oscilloscope manufacturer out there has zoom-out on their DSOs! Siglent and Lecroy are the outliers who don't have it.

So, Rigol has it too?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #466 on: March 05, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »
So, Rigol has it too?

Yes. Even the low end DS1054Z can do it.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #467 on: March 05, 2021, 07:23:27 pm »
It seems to me that it might be a problem to implement it in a responsive way without the magic of the Megazoom tech?

It won't make any difference at all to responsiveness. An oscilloscope is always filling up the memory when it's waiting for a trigger event and that's all this is - filling up the memory.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #468 on: March 05, 2021, 08:17:56 pm »

So, Rigol has it too?
Check Dave's video:

Add Yokogawa to the list of manufacturers which support zoom-out on their DSOs as well.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #469 on: March 05, 2021, 08:22:56 pm »
But I would presume that changing fundamental features how timebase and acquisitions work, would need massive testing if all the rest of the scope still works as it should.
Yes, I really understand. At work I am usually the one that hates changing default behaviour/settings.  :-+

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #470 on: March 05, 2021, 08:45:35 pm »
That's the thing: it is not a big change. Only a some UI changes. All the necessary logic to support zoom-out is allready there. Go sit behind a DSO and enable zoom-mode. You can scroll left/right / change the timebase of the main window without any problem. Now imagine doing the same with the zoom window hidden. What is functionally different? You keep thinking it is a major overhaul and months of work but it isn't. Most of the work is likely for someone at Siglent to change his/her mind and to realise that zoom-out is a standard feature on every DSO of their competitors.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:48:15 pm by nctnico »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: March 05, 2021, 08:51:49 pm »

Agilent Infiniivision  series DOESN'T have it, the way you like it. While in a run mode, it grabs only screen full of data from trigger to trigger. On some timebases it will grab a bit more but far from whole memory.
And when you press Stop, it makes separate Single capture for the last one if there is triggerable event within 200-250ms (or so) from moment you press Stop. If not, you are left with only screen full of data.
I already demonstrated that before and documented it into detail.

So, no, Keysight doesn't do it. Please everybody stop repeating that, it is not truth.

Regards,

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: March 05, 2021, 09:08:09 pm »
That's the thing: it is not a big change. Only a some UI changes. All the necessary logic to support zoom-out is allready there. Go sit behind a DSO and enable zoom-mode. You can scroll left/right / change the timebase of the main window without any problem. Now imagine doing the same with the zoom window hidden. What is functionally different? You keep thinking it is a major overhaul and months of work but it isn't. Most of the work is likely for someone at Siglent to change his/her mind and to realise that zoom-out is a standard feature on every DSO of their competitors.

If I remember correctly, you are the person that actually said that you prefer fact that R&S releases software so rarely because it is a sign that they are testing properly. You said it was a sign of quality, and that Chinese manufacturers should test better. I don't know how big overhaul this would be, as I know how software is written. But I do think it is MAJOR change in the core of the system (what is scope of data for measurement? Zoom, gates, full buffer ?) If they do change this ( and I hope they DO ), I would WANT them to do it right and to test the crap out of it...

And zoom out doesn't exist. Competition have one memory strategy (that by the way is reason people say Tektronix scopes are slow, because they set it to 10Ms depth and then go: "Boy this thing is slow, cannot make more than few hundred triggers per minute..."). "Zoom out" is artefact that your scope captured more data than you originally set it to show on screen.
Rigol, by default, doesn't use that strategy, but uses same one as Keysight and Siglent, and Lecroy..

But Rigol has advantage that you can enable full memory, so user can  choose. I hope Siglent will add it too, if for nothing else to end this endless, repetitive dejavu....

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Martin72

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #473 on: March 05, 2021, 09:31:32 pm »

If I remember correctly, you are the person that actually said that you prefer fact that R&S releases software so rarely because it is a sign that they are testing properly. You said it was a sign of quality, and that Chinese manufacturers should test better. I don't know how big overhaul this would be, as I know how software is written. But I do think it is MAJOR change in the core of the system (what is scope of data for measurement? Zoom, gates, full buffer ?) If they do change this ( and I hope they DO ), I would WANT them to do it right and to test the crap out of it...
Sorry but this isn't the subject at all. I claim it is simple to add and now you jump to testing??? It makes no sense at all. 'Zoom out' is simple to add so it is simple to test. You keep grasping straws to justify 'zoom out' is difficult to add. With my software engineering hat on and knowledge about oscilloscope memory management I say it isn't difficult to add because I KNOW it isn't.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #474 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:56 pm »

Sorry but this isn't the subject at all. I claim it is simple to add and now you jump to testing??? It makes no sense at all. 'Zoom out' is simple to add so it is simple to test. You keep grasping straws to justify 'zoom out' is difficult to add. With my software engineering hat on and knowledge about oscilloscope memory management I say it isn't difficult to add because I KNOW it isn't.

OOkay......   :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf