Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 203975 times)

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »
It powers off quick maybe 3-4 seconds after I press power button
It shows an error msg that you can't see it. Check the batteries voltage: should be 4.0V - 4.1V
Btw, under left battery might be a debug port (?).

Check this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-hds-200-handheld-oscilloscope-w-builtin-dmmawg/msg3522164/#msg3522164
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:31:51 pm by tly »

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »
No it's like  something's "wong" with firmware type of power off and not battery low power off.

Unpopulated Debug serial header under batteries. Yes I seen that too!!! Never been so happy to see RX-TX-GND. After I finish up here and get back to the office I will see what voltage that TTL is and hook it up and hopefully have some output, it's intriguing that it has "RX"

Just for kicks I Re-Flashed the wrong 5.3.whatever firmware to see/experience what a successful flash would be like and it took it, powered off and did it's thing correctly. Hopefully that Debug header will give some output and I'll report back as such.

I thought about breaking the flash during flashing (Remove the batteries) in hopes it would break the validation process and maybe fall back to a certain mode and accept 3.2 or 3.3 firmware but that's VERY risky, right now I have a functioning bootloader and OS
it's just the Display driver in fw is different. Can't believe I'm the only Dumb a** that did this. (Yea I can).

Offline gtube

• Contributor
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2022, 01:25:34 am »
P2200 200Mhz Probe vs Owon stock OW3100 100Mhz Probe.
Both at 10x Settings. Source: Wenzel 12V 100Mhz OCXO.

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2022, 02:37:49 am »
Nice! You know the HOS Software has a FFT function don't you? Be nice to see the noise floor.

Offline gtube

• Contributor
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2022, 03:28:18 am »
The lowest it can go is 10mv/div. It is hard to tell the exact noise floor level. According to the screen, it shows 0.8mv - 1.2mv VPP when probe is short, or 1.6mv vpp without any probe.

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2022, 07:01:38 am »
Unpopulated Debug serial header under batteries.

Check the attachment.
Cheap programmer -> MXIC.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:03:17 am by tly »

Offline gtube

• Contributor
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2022, 03:46:30 pm »
Just received the new V1.4.1 firmware for HDS2102S from OWON.

Upgrade steps:

1. turn on the HDS scope, push "system" and then select F2 "system", to next page, select "upgrade"

2. connect PC with HDS scope by USB cable, push "system", in next page, select USB as "MSC", the removable disk will pop up.

3. copy the attached "Scope.upp" to removable disk such as H disk.

turn off your scope and then turn on again. The scope will upgrade and turn off after finish.

4. turn on your scope to check the version number changed in "system" menuļ¼ŒV1.4.1  .

This upgrade package is only applicable to HDS2102S, version   

V1.*.* Upgradeable.

**Remember to run the auto calibration after the upgrade.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 04:17:43 pm by gtube »

Offline hobbeeist

• Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2022, 07:41:22 am »
Following up on my previous post about the various issues reported in this thread:

Model: HDS2102S
SW: v1.4.1 (thanks for posting, gtube)

a-c) Presumed fixed. Didn't retest.
d) Fixed. Switching sampling mode does not appear to change frequency reported, at least for the probe cal square wave
e-g) Presumed fixed. Didn't retest.
h) Presumed present. Didn't retest.
i) Fixed. Trigger triangle and threshold line appear in all combinations of channel and trigger coupling (AC/AC, AC/DC, DC/AC, DC/DC)
j) Fixed. Flopdoodley's report of the auto usage vs channel selection is not correct for this version. Much more intuitively, pressing auto with a single channel signal present now results in that channel being both activated and selected
k) Present. Still no buzzer option in the system menu.
l) Fixed. The 2ns/div bug appears to be squashed. Setting horizontal to 2ns/div and viewing a 25MHz sine from the signal generator shows a quarter wave as 5 divisions. 2ns/div * 5div = 10ns. 10ns/quarter wave * 4 = 40ns. 1/40ns = 25MHz.

There are still a few quirks with the AWG menuing. The "fix" for most of them is to go to the sine, bump frequency up to over 5MHz, then cycle through the waveform types, then try setting stuff again. Since the AWG doesn't support over 5MHz on anything but sine, it will force an exact lower frequency when you change waveforms, thus resetting most of the parameters.

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2022, 04:29:37 pm »
Following up on my previous post about the various issues reported in this thread

I checked.
Are fixed now.

Offline thatDude

« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2022, 08:41:32 pm »
Nice! You know the HOS Software has a FFT function don't you? Be nice to see the noise floor.

I emailed them about implementing a spectrum analyzer mode with FFT, but no reply so far! Keeping you guys posted though.

The following users thanked this post: tly, e1ioan

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2022, 08:43:12 pm »

I emailed them about implementing a spectrum analyzer mode with FFT, but no reply so far! Keeping you guys posted though.

Nice  :-+

Offline GSR1600

« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2022, 06:35:13 am »
Nice to meet you.
We have received the HDS272S V.5.7.1 firmware from OWON and will provide it.
It is compressed with zip.
Have a good HDS200 life!

My Device : HDS272S
Serial : 2148***
Hardware ver. : Unknown
Old Firmware ver. : V.5.3.0

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A, rn777, Flopdoodley, tly

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2022, 07:49:51 am »
Nice to meet you.
Have a good HDS200 life!

For H/W revision 3, upgraded is well.
OWON HDS272s f/w 5.7.1, h/w 3.0, s/n 2152***

Offline thatDude

« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2022, 08:53:25 pm »
Nice to meet you.
Have a good HDS200 life!

Have you had a chance to find out what changed?

Offline hacs

« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2022, 10:23:01 pm »
Got myself a HDS242S from bangood (CZ). Arrived after a few days with Firmware v4.2.0, SN 2319***, HW rev. 2.2, Board date 2021-09-09. So I did not get the newest hardware revision :( . It has some of the bugs and problems mentioned in this thread like the "peak detect" mode frequency measurement being incorrect, the trigger level line not being visible in AC coupled mode, resistance measurement auto-ranging being quite slow and so on. I contacted owon support for a firmware update mentioning the problems and they quickly responded with an update to v4.6.1 (MD5 184510751767dfc4d7541b9911e82af3, SHA1 25b92f99afda6f78326d534dc7c64e2fb9e572c2). Unfortunately that fixed none of the problems I noticed. Not sure what was actually changed as no changelog was provided  :-// Bummer but the issues I found so far are not deal-breakers to me. Maybe there will be further updates down the line though I'm not sure how they handle that once newer HW revisions are out.

Apart from what I mentioned the device seems to work as expected and described elswhere. Got myself a Hantek PP-200 as a second probe (massive overkill frequency wise but it has a plastic shrouded connector and was available at a decent price) and the device is indeed capable of showing some oscillofun like shown in other posts :)

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #365 on: March 02, 2022, 12:41:52 am »
BE WARNED!!!
1. Ok the RX/TX header doesn't output anything it's specifically for firmware with Debug enabled.
2. Several others in another forum (Russian) are experiencing bricked HDS's also and they flashed the correct firmware for they're model S/N,etc.
3. OWON basically said "So sad Too bad", there's nothing we can do for you :-//
4. I can move up in firmware numbers but can't go back (Downgrade) I just get 3 beeps and shuts off.
5. So............... that LCD solution is looking more tempting :-// Albeit I don't know if FPGA part has changed.

I have a feeling I'm not dealing with an OEM, but a Distributor FOR the manufacture. I'd sure like to know the name of the Manufacture. All they would have to do is changed that if/then statement. ;D
I boxed it up and put it on the back shelf, 'Till then....... So be VERY CAREFUL flashing even the appropriate firmware for your model as it seems even they are being bricked.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Daniel H.

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #366 on: March 02, 2022, 11:11:24 am »
BE WARNED!!!
1. Ok the RX/TX header doesn't output anything it's specifically for firmware with Debug enabled.
2. Several others in another forum (Russian) are experiencing bricked HDS's also and they flashed the correct firmware for they're model S/N,etc.
4. I can move up in firmware numbers but can't go back (Downgrade) I just get 3 beeps and shuts off.
5. So............... that LCD solution is looking more tempting :-// Albeit I don't know if FPGA part has changed.

I have a feeling I'm not dealing with an OEM, but a Distributor FOR the manufacture. I'd sure like to know the name of the Manufacture. All they would have to do is changed that if/then statement. ;D
I boxed it up and put it on the back shelf, 'Till then....... So be VERY CAREFUL flashing even the appropriate firmware for your model as it seems even they are being bricked.
Daniel H.
1. Do such firmware exist? For what hardware version?
2. please tell a forum. Interesting view.
4. I upgraded and downgraded firmware on My device h/w v3. I not have a problem with it.

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #367 on: March 03, 2022, 03:39:17 am »
BE WARNED!!!

Daniel H.
1. Do such firmware exist? For what hardware version?
2. please tell a forum. Interesting view.
4. I upgraded and downgraded firmware on My device h/w v3. I not have a problem with it.

1. Not to consumer, that's usually just reserved for R&D as it adds a substantial amount of un-needed overhead to the device.
2. I'll look again, there's two foreign model's I found so far, one German and one Russian.
4. On some newer board revisions they changed the flash from "Gigadevice" to "Macronix" the Gigadevice has a type of OTP SecureRom that is read only with a hard coded checksum, that's why he told me my version is "NOT upgradable" even though it will accept the flash it will likely end up being bricked with no recovery option, which to me crazy. Even on Macronix's website it states "Not for mass production".

I think that's why their update request is so convoluted and not offered on their website, after reading the contents of the flash chip, sure enough the OTP fuse bit's were on and there's no way to write to it as it's OTP.
He gave me 3.2 tried to flash and it just beeped 3 times.
So lesson learned, don't ever ever assume they know what 'they're doing like I did, only to find out the jokes on me.
Daniel

The following users thanked this post: Andrew McNamara

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: March 03, 2022, 07:17:01 am »
1. Not to consumer, that's usually just reserved for R&D as it adds a substantial amount of un-needed overhead to the device.
2. I'll look again, there's two foreign model's I found so far, one German and one Russian.
4. On some newer board revisions they changed the flash from "Gigadevice" to "Macronix" the Gigadevice has a type of OTP SecureRom that is read only with a hard coded checksum, that's why he told me my version is "NOT upgradable" even though it will accept the flash it will likely end up being bricked with no recovery option, which to me crazy. Even on Macronix's website it states "Not for mass production".

I think that's why their update request is so convoluted and not offered on their website, after reading the contents of the flash chip, sure enough the OTP fuse bit's were on and there's no way to write to it as it's OTP.
He gave me 3.2 tried to flash and it just beeped 3 times.
So lesson learned, don't ever ever assume they know what 'they're doing like I did, only to find out the jokes on me.
Daniel
1. You are have engineering version firmware?
2. Please show link on this forum.
3. I have newer than that other on this forum device owon hds272s. But i not have problem on downgrade. The device is in the signature.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #369 on: March 03, 2022, 10:57:00 am »
I found a bug in my hds242 (ver. 4.1.0) - measurments on ch.2 not working, simply showing in state OFF, have anybody noticed same thing?

Yes! The same thing happened to me yesterday, my ch.2 stopped working and I been trying to figure out why since. How did you fix it?

I have the same model as you HDS242S and firmware version 4.1.0.

The way I test is connect ch.2 to the built in 1kHz signal generator and press Auto, but nothing appears on the scope. If I do the same but instead connect to ch.1 it works fine.

I have tried:
- Changing settings back to default (System -> Default settings -> F3)
- Doing a factory reset (F4 -> F4 -> Default -> F2)
- Running auto calibration (F4 -> F4 -> F3 (Auto calibration) -> F3)

But so far nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2022, 02:07:51 pm »

"What if": you change that SPI flash with another that's empty ??
(An winbond should work too I think.)

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #371 on: March 04, 2022, 11:34:35 am »
Do you remember what you did to fix it? I am having the same problem. I have the same model and firmware version.

Offline thatDude

« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2022, 07:58:28 am »

So far, I have not received an answer from them yet. I contacted them via email when I posted the initial message here and I contacted them via the webform last thursday I think. I don't know how long they normally take to reply, but this seems awfully long. So nothing new about FFT.

Offline mikea47

« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2022, 08:19:50 pm »
Brothers,

Need help my HDs272s came today and the display is in chinese how can I change it to English?

Thank you!

Offline Flopdoodley

« Reply #374 on: March 10, 2022, 09:00:44 pm »
Brothers,

Need help my HDs272s came today and the display is in chinese how can I change it to English?

Thank you!

1. Use the Mode button to get to the Scope screen.
2. Press the System button one time (you should be on page 1of 2)
3. Press the F2 button (also says system on the OSD)
4. Repeatedly press F1 to cycle through the languages.
5. Either hit the Return button or wait for timeout.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 09:49:51 pm by Flopdoodley »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf