Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 198909 times)

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2021, 09:00:18 pm »
I've just discovered something I *don't* like about this instrument. After resting for a couple of weeks, the battery drained. This is really bad I think. A electronics instrument should be able to be ready after spending days, weeks or months in a drawer. I charged it full, put it away and when I started it now I got a low battery warning within a minute or so.

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:18 pm »
Maybe I spoke too soon. After recharging the scope once again I haven't used since my last post. Just booted it up and the battery is at full charge. I don't know why the batteries depleted last time, maybe it was a fluke or maybe I was mistaken somehow. I will report further findings if something interesting comes up.

Edit: Incidentally, it's exactly one month since I charged my scope.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:15:04 pm by MBY »

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2021, 09:54:33 am »
Great new!

I had suspended the purchase for this unacceptable behavior...
Just to confirm this, are you able to measure the current draw when the meter is off?
In this way we will be able to estimate the battery life when the multimeter is in a storage status.

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2021, 08:05:44 pm »
Great new!

I had suspended the purchase for this unacceptable behavior...
Just to confirm this, are you able to measure the current draw when the meter is off?
In this way we will be able to estimate the battery life when the multimeter is in a storage status.
I knew I had to do it sooner or later. Were to lazy before, but now I've done some rough measurements. The off current at 4.00V is 2.2 mA instantly and doesn't seem to change. I measured ~40 minutes, and still 2.2 mA. That would deplete the batteries after about 2.7 months.

Interestingly, the current goes up as the voltage drops, to about 3.3 mA at 3V. So there seems to be a switched regulator going in off mode. It may be some kind of latchup, because the batteries were full yesterday when I checked after a month. And a month of 2.2 mA should have drained the batteries more than 1500 mAhs. I don't know whats going on really. The on current is about 700 mA.

I'm measuring with a lab power supply and it's possible that something in my setup is affecting the measurement. 2.2 mA is quite high for a standby current.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2021, 07:59:49 am »
MBY,

did you measure the standby current at the battery terminals or at the charger input? In the latter case you would have the input power detection circuit as additional load - most (LiIon) charging chips I know of draw more current if external power is available and go into standby only if that power is removed.

Greetings,

Rainer

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2021, 10:48:48 am »
At the battery terminals, of course! :)

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2021, 11:33:52 am »
Less than three months of st-by, would be unacceptable for this dmm, so I hope that your supposed latchup status may be a reality.
To clarify the matter, I would suggest you to proceed as follows:

1- leave the instrument off for at least a couple of days
2- without turning it on, acquire the battery voltage with mV accuracy (to avoid errors due to the temperature, do not touch the instrument or the batteries and take note of the room temperature)
3- leave the instrument off for about a week and repeat the previous step (with the same DMM and at the same room temperature...)
4- make the ratio between the voltage drop (in mV) and 900mV

This ratio will be an approximate indication of the number of weeks of expected st-by. If the real st-by current is in the order of 2.2mA, in a week you will acquire a voltage drop of about 80mV.
During the procedure, remember to never power on the instrument.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:58:37 pm by ExaLab »

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2021, 02:36:36 pm »
Here's another review: https://youtu.be/l5UIXxj7ABI

Offline Sobakin76

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2021, 01:29:01 pm »
Hi all, what's the probe's labelling?
As I understood scope shipped with only one probe and second probe needs to be purchased separately so I want it to be the same if it's possible.

Offline Toshik020392

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2021, 09:48:05 am »
I will take 242s and order these probes 604,10 руб.  20%СКИДКА | Цифровой осциллограф зонд X1 X10 80 МГц 150 МГц 200 МГц Φ/150B/200B тестовые щупы осциллографа 130 см в длину
https://a.aliexpress.com/_9G8zez. I can then unsubscribe how they will work in contrast to the original.

Or I'll post a video about the work of the new probes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:52:25 am by Toshik020392 »

Offline Sobakin76

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2021, 02:37:12 pm »
I ordered these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32350858868.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dy2EOx1 (2pcs P2200 option), will use it with my desktop 150 MHz scope and plan to test it with just ordered 242 model, also plan to compare with Hantek 2C42 which I have and only complain of a small display.

Offline fremen67

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2021, 04:35:10 pm »
This is the probe which is packaged with the device : https://www.hantek.eu/passive-probe-60mhz-hantek-p7060.html
I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

The following users thanked this post: Sobakin76, Toshik020392

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2021, 10:40:20 pm »
A review and teardown (PCB v2) from learnelectronics:

The following users thanked this post: sotos, HerbTarlek, Toshik020392

Offline pmaggi

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2021, 04:09:52 pm »
Hi, is there a way of loading my own arbitrary waveforms or they are just limited to the default ones?

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2021, 05:00:27 pm »
I can't seem to find a way of measuring volts RMS and duty cycle on the HDS272S, the most basic measurements on a digital oscilloscope. Surely it must support that? Am I missing something obvious?

And do we have an Owon representative on this forum? I tried emailing them, but so far nothing.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »
I didn't see any distortion figures for the function generator in the manual, so I did some measurements. The THD of the sine wave on 1KHz and 1Vrms is better than I expected at 0.029%. It does very similarly with the signal at 50Hz and 5KHz as well.

The left channel here is just a loopback on the QA401, for comparison, while the right channel is the HDS272S.

1231888-0

Offline Sobakin76

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2021, 11:02:26 am »
Just received my HDS242 and found some bug in firmware (I don't think it's hardware function) - bandwidth limit (20MHz) can be enabled on any channel, but has effect only on channel 2. Can anybody confirm this?
Update: firmware V1.8.0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:27:14 pm by Sobakin76 »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2021, 01:38:23 pm »
Just received my HDS242 and found some bug in firmware (I don't think it's hardware function) - bandwidth limit (20MHz) can be enabled on any channel, but has effect only on channel 2. Can anybody confirm this?

I tested with signals of varying frequencies and the 20MHz bandwidth limit restricted the amplitude on both channels the same way.
I am not sure if it does it correct though, since it's a feature I don't have much experience with.

The following users thanked this post: Sobakin76

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2021, 04:58:59 pm »
Update: firmware V1.8.0
I've got V1.6.0. Don't know if they just have different firmware for different models, or if you have a newer firmware than me. It's possible that they broke something in a newer firmware. Can't find any information about firmware for this device anywhere on the Owon site.

The following users thanked this post: Sobakin76

Offline Sobakin76

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2021, 07:44:20 pm »
I've got V1.6.0. Don't know if they just have different firmware for different models, or if you have a newer firmware than me. It's possible that they broke something in a newer firmware. Can't find any information about firmware for this device anywhere on the Owon site.
Maybe my is newer and they broke something. I searched for firmware info but unsuccessfull too.

Offline MBY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2021, 10:57:09 pm »
My 272S suddenly stopped to measure anything on the scope, and stopped output anything from the AWG. It took a while for me to rule out faulty probes, stupid settings and pebkac. I disassembled the thing and didn't discover anything suspicious. But, a factory reset did the trick and it's working again. Haven't the faintest idea of what was wrong, but this kind of bs of course impacts my confidence in the instrument.

Have anyone else seen something similar?

Edit: Nothing new to report on the battery side of things. It seems like it holds a charge now, but I will check it again later on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:58:59 pm by MBY »

The following users thanked this post: elantric

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2021, 07:33:32 pm »
I received an HDS272S  on Thursday and am quite impressed.  The FW is version 2.01.  I think I've tried everything It does and not run into a problem.  Very different from my experience with the Hantek 2D42.  Because of the size, the controls are klunky.  But for a non-electronics workshop instrument it's fine.  And OK for a budget/portable bench.

I bought mine as part of a portable RF and electronics test bench I'm putting together in a Pelican style case.

The 3 holes in the battery compartment PCB are labeled RX, GND and TX  on the other side of the board.  Ground is in the middle with RX on the banana plug side.  I haven't made a connection yet.  I opened it up to look over the details and saw it. 

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline sijmen

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2021, 02:35:57 am »
I also received a Owon HD272S over the weekend, ordered from Banggood.  I wanted this one so I could take it out on site and use it for automotive stuff.  It took about 2 weeks from date of order to delivery.

I only spent a little time playing with it, but so far am quite impressed.

My firmware version was 3.10.  From what I could tell from youtube and previous comments above, the multimeter auto ranging was very slow.  Owon seem to have improved it.

Using a 3.7v battery, with manual range set to 20V, I got a stable reading in less than half a second.  (I'm guessing the time here).  In auto-ranging mode, it was probably twice as long.  The key thing for me, was that it seemed very usable, compared to the youtube video where it did seem excessively slow to get a stable reading in auto-ranging mode.

I've also got the Element 14 Multicomp (rebranded Owon) power supply and found that the HD272S  meter reading matched up perfectly with the reading on the power supply.

The HD272S only came with one scope probe, but like a previous commenter stated, I'll probably get some additional Cleqee probes which are very affordable if I need more.

The device has lots of pros which others have already mentioned, and with a 20,000 count meter, I'll probably use this as my go-to meter for a while.  However, there are a couple of cons which I thought was worth mentioning:

1.  The stand on the back of meter is at a nice angle for me, but its very flimsy, and I feel it could break quite easily. 
2.  The bag that comes with the meter is not as protective as I'd like.  I think some better padding between the cable pocket and the meter would be helpful to protect the BNC fitting from being pressed into the meter display.  Currently I'm putting the meter in the bag face down to protect it, but this is not ideal.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, and would recommend it.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2021, 05:46:53 am »
Things are moving quickly in the firmware, with version 1.8.0, 2.01 and 3.10 being released in the 6 weeks since I got mine.
Anyone know what's changed? Almost sounds like something big should have happened when going to version 2 and 3.

Offline sijmen

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2021, 07:36:34 am »
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can send the waveform generator signal output into the oscilloscope channel 1 input, so I can see the waveform being generated.  I can't seem to get that to work, although nothing indicates that it should.

Has anyone else tried this and managed to get it working?

Regards,
Sijmen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf