Products > Test Equipment

OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG

(1/152) > >>

TrendX:
Dear EEVBlog Forum,

Having been a silent reader for some time now I finally have a question to you all:

OWON recently announced their new handheld multifunction test device as I would call it.
The HDS 200 Series includes a up to 70Mhz oscilloscope, a 20.000 count DMM and an 15Mhz AWG in a neat little enclosure.

For somebody like me this would be perfect for the hobby bench. As I already have good scopes at work and in my lab in the basement I don't need it to be highly accurate or have functions like serial decoding. My Siglent is doing that just fine.
I'm more thinking of buying it to have all these functions mobile, to for example check things on a car or work on arduino projects without having to leave the flat.

Do you guys think it is worth the price? And what quality should I expect from Owon? They seem to be quite a reputable brand?

At work I have a Siglent SHS for working on our EVs which is a fine scope by itself but with miserable DMM and no AWG, so no real alternative there. The old Owons and the Hantek Scopemeters are out as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinion and stay safe!

Greetings from Germany,
TrendX

MBY:
I'm also curious about these. Seems to be a competitor to Hantek's similar devices. I never had a good impression of Hantek in general, and I probably prefer Owons USB-scopes over Hantek (I own a Owon VDS2022I and is rather pleased by it) so I would be interested in review and such. I don't want to be an "early adopter" so I hope somebody else buys and reviews it... :)

gnuarm:
If it really will sample fast enough to support a 70 MHz bandwidth it would be useful for sure, but the sample rate is 125 MSPS, too low to even produce good results with a 40 MHz bandwidth.  Still, it could be useful for many tasks.

The problem for me would be the tiny screen.  My cell phone has a 5 inch display (130 mm) and that would be too small for me.  The unit is already an awkward form factor being a bit too wide for the hand and no good way to hold it.  They would be better off giving it a wider display and case with a hand hold on the back.  A wider case would also make the unit more stable on the work bench.

Personally, I'd like to see a 500 MSPS unit with 100 MHz bandwidth, 2 channel that works through a PC or mobile device for the UI.  The AWG can be useful, but often are not programmable enough and only support a limited buffer length, in this case 8 ksamples.  If I were designing an AWG it would have logic to generate various types of repetitive signals based on timers and a lookup table so it could be an NCO for example.  It doesn't take a lot to greatly improve on a simple memory buffer, but it requires more work in the UI to allow a user to program it. 

Aren't there open source projects for low end scopes and logic analyzers?  I never seem to hear of any reaching the point of being in production.

MBY:

--- Quote from: gnuarm on February 06, 2021, 09:32:28 pm ---If it really will sample fast enough to support a 70 MHz bandwidth it would be useful for sure, but the sample rate is 125 MSPS, too low to even produce good results with a 40 MHz bandwidth.  Still, it could be useful for many tasks.
--- End quote ---
Are you sure you don't confuse the AWGs sampling rate of 125 MSPS with the oscilloscope part? Owon claims 250 MSPS for the scope: https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_hds200_series_digital_oscilloscope

gnuarm:

--- Quote from: MBY on February 06, 2021, 10:07:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: gnuarm on February 06, 2021, 09:32:28 pm ---If it really will sample fast enough to support a 70 MHz bandwidth it would be useful for sure, but the sample rate is 125 MSPS, too low to even produce good results with a 40 MHz bandwidth.  Still, it could be useful for many tasks.
--- End quote ---
Are you sure you don't confuse the AWGs sampling rate of 125 MSPS with the oscilloscope part? Owon claims 250 MSPS for the scope: https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_hds200_series_digital_oscilloscope

--- End quote ---

Looks like I mucked that up.  But that doesn't change the issue of 250 MSPS being too slow to accurately represent signals at 70 MHz.  The good scopes use 10x oversampling.  In theory a band limited waveform can be represented at anything over 2x, but in practice that doesn't work so well.  At 250 MSPS it is better than the 125 MSPS number I initially used, but it still isn't going to be as good as an analog scope with a true 70 MHz bandwidth. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version