Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 202205 times)

Offline saresigi

• Contributor
Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2022, 09:40:35 pm »
Hello, has anyone ever received a firmware update at all?

I think it's pretty stupid that the CUSTOMER has to test the software (free of charge) or find the errors.
But I think it's even worse that OWON doesn't seem to give any feedback or updates.

OWON could, for example, say "all errors are traceable - repairs are in progress" (possibly also "sorry").

I had from "BetterAndBetter" (is that an OWON employee?)
got a message that my reported bugs were fixed and also reported me immediately to "info@owon.com.cn" but didn't get any feedback until now. Ok - it's only been 35 hours since then, maybe the employees at OWON all have Corona. Maybe I should wait a few more weeks/months ;)

Incidentally, I was able to reproduce all reported bugs on my device.

@tly - I don't think this is bgd's problem but rather OWON the manufacturer's.

My OWON HDS272S: SW-Version: 3.2.0 - Ser. Nr.: 2128xxx - Mainboard date: 2021-03-24 - Mainboard Version: V2.0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:38:16 am by saresigi »

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2022, 10:22:25 pm »
@tly - I don't think this is bgd's problem but rather OWON the manufacturer's.
It is: they sold those to me and . Everything I posted here was sent to seller too. My warranty is insured by the seller not manufacturer.
Check the "HDS200 series user manual.pdf" - it should be available on Owon site.
What doesn't Owon understands is that they don't hit in their own brand - but they hit in their own distribution channels too.
A product it's not only the item itself.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:04:30 pm by tly »

Offline saresigi

• Contributor
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2022, 10:33:20 pm »
Sorry, but what I meant is that bgd is responsible for the guarantee but does not repair any software.

The following users thanked this post: tly

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2022, 10:51:33 pm »
Bgd allready contacted me: I hope we will find a solution that will satisfy both parts - we both lost.
The only part that is gaining is Owon due to my feedback: they can't afford a real software/device tester.
I hope that - at some point in time in near future - they will fix all the bugs and you'll benefit too.
Good luck
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:04:01 pm by tly »

The following users thanked this post: saresigi

Offline hobbeeist

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2022, 02:31:44 am »
tly - you're doing a great job documenting clear failures in the software. I hope they address these ASAP, since even without a dedicated tester, I would have expected the software developers to run into these issues during development.

On a tangental note, it looks like Banggood figured out that they should put all the HDS200 series on a single page, but in doing so, they also decided to play some marketing games with pricing. Do you want 20% off of US$250.99, or just 9% off US$219.99? Looks the same to me!

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2022, 05:33:08 am »
Query:

I have an HDS272S, shipped from BangGood China, and my shipped firmware is 5.4.0 - is this the lastest firmware for the devices with which 5.4.0 is compatible?

Muchos appreciadios 😛
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:05:24 am by eti »

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2022, 02:41:33 pm »
I was thinking of getting the 2102S model, but that seems hard to find.  Any reason for that that we know of? 

It's a brand new addition to the product line, and they don't have the volume shipped yet. I'd bet on either production issues, or some outstanding software issues. Last I heard was that it would start shipping on Jan 19, but it was originally scheduled for release in late Dec, and then early Jan, and then Jan 12, and now Jan 19, so who knows.

All of my meters have either broken on their own or been killed by leaking Costco alkalines.  So I need something now and ordered this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165282520383

I'm hoping the display won't be too small for me to see easily.  I like the compact form factor so it will nest in my computer bag.  Once I add the scope I should be good to go.  I sure would prefer an attached scope rather than handheld, but I've never found one that was worth having. 
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline hobbeeist

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2022, 08:53:35 pm »
So I need something now and ordered this.

Probably a good call. Just saw the new shipping estimate for the HDS2102(S) is either January 20, or January 25, depending on which of the two pages on Banggood you look at.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2022, 09:30:40 pm »
A new video from TheHWCave -- see the description for a good synopsis...

#106: Getting Data from the OWON HDS272S Scope meter

The following users thanked this post: theHWcave

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2022, 09:09:19 am »
Time domain reflectometry on a 10M HDMI cable, using the built in function generator. Works well.

The following users thanked this post: luma, Markus2801A

Offline hobbeeist

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2022, 02:24:07 am »
Time domain reflectometry on a 10M HDMI cable, using the built in function generator. Works well.

What function settings did you use?

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2022, 08:51:49 am »

What function settings did you use?

Try these (attached). Ch2 (blue trace) is local (sig gen, incident) end, ch1 (yellow trace) is distant end. I was doing TDR whilst simultaneously measuring one-direction delay of the signal; around 32nS in a 10M HDMI cable.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2022, 01:58:13 pm »
I received the device.
Model HDS 272s
fw. 5.4.0
hw. 3.0
Not on the menu settings  - Buzer on/off
OWON HDS272s f/w 5.7.1, h/w 3.0, s/n 2152***

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2022, 08:55:57 pm »
I received the device.
Model HDS 272s
fw. 5.4.0
hw. 3.0
(Attachment Link)

You'll need to explain more, please:

# Buzzer as-in continuity buzzer, or do you mean the beeps when keypresses occur? I've tried this blank menu these ways:

1~ Turn scope off then on to ensure we start afresh.
2~ Depress rubber "System" button
3~ Depress F4 (currently marked "1/2" before depressed)
4~ Now, with label above F4 marked "2/2", depress F3 (blank label above it)
5~ Press the "back" button (under F4) a few times to back out of the menu
6~ Play around in different modes, to see if the keypress beeping has muted (of particular note, the range button [F4] in DMM mode is NOT muted after having pressed the blank labelled F4, in step 4 (above)

I have also tested pressing the blank labelled F4 after pressing "System" button, then F2 (labelled "System" at that point), and paging 1of2 and 2of2, and pressing the blank labelled F4 on both pages - NOTHING changes.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2022, 08:56:48 pm »
Bgd allready contacted me: I hope we will find a solution that will satisfy both parts - we both lost.
The only part that is gaining is Owon due to my feedback: they can't afford a real software/device tester.
I hope that - at some point in time in near future - they will fix all the bugs and you'll benefit too.
Good luck

Utter nonsense. They can afford to design and develop a somewhat complex piece of equipment, and market it, so they CAN afford one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:20:52 pm by eti »

Offline Flopdoodley

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2022, 04:44:05 am »
I received the device.
Model HDS 272s
fw. 5.4.0
hw. 3.0
(Attachment Link)

Try switching Mode to the frequency generator, then press System/System (on pg 1/2), Buzzer is on that page, or at least on my version 5.5.0.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2022, 05:23:16 am »
I received the device.
Model HDS 272s
fw. 5.4.0
hw. 3.0
(Attachment Link)

Try switching Mode to the frequency generator, then press System/System (on pg 1/2), Buzzer is on that page, or at least on my version 5.5.0.

Thank you.

Do you have the 5.5.0 firmware? If so, would you mind attaching it? Thanks

My serial begins “2149” hardware/board V3.0 (see attached photo) so it’s very new, and the same as yours, which I gather you must've upgraded based upon the 5.4.0 firmware yours was supplied with.

PS: Unlike the units I saw taken apart in YouTube reviews, mine seems to be lacking the copper screening tape on the input can. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:21:02 am by eti »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2022, 07:17:51 am »
Hds2102s (update 22/1/22 - one of these videos has suddenly be made private. No problem, I had the foresight to download all of the videos, so can mirror if needed)

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:l5a2amyylZkJ:https://blog.goo.ne.jp/electronics_diy_5/1+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=ms-android-google

.SRT subtitles attached

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:49:02 am by eti »

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2022, 11:50:01 am »
In menu generator, have this switch.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:56:46 am by rn777 »

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2022, 12:04:31 pm »
I received the device.
Model HDS 272s
fw. 5.4.0
hw. 3.0
(Attachment Link)

Thank you.

My serial begins “2149” hardware/board V3.0 (see attached photo) so it’s very new, and the same as yours, which I gather you must've upgraded based upon the 5.4.0 firmware yours was supplied with.

PS: Unlike the units I saw taken apart in YouTube reviews, mine seems to be lacking the copper screening tape on the input can.
Me too need new firmware. S/N 2152

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2022, 12:24:27 pm »
I requested new firmware in OWON.
Can you give Me software for PC?
I don't has CD in box.

Offline idolclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2022, 02:32:29 pm »
I requested new firmware in OWON.
Can you give Me software for PC?
I don't has CD in box.

Download from OWON, v1.2.4.20220114:
http://files.owon.com.cn/software/pc/HDS200_series_pc_software.zip

The following users thanked this post: rn777

Offline Flopdoodley

« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2022, 12:35:39 am »

Sorry, I typed that reply from my phone (big thumbs, poor eyesight), my FW is 5.4.0.   :palm:

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2022, 01:50:47 am »

Sorry, I typed that reply from my phone (big thumbs, poor eyesight), my FW is 5.4.0.   :palm:

Don't you worry, phones have a habit of messing up our intended writings. 😁

Offline Flopdoodley

« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2022, 04:04:42 am »
Testing the units I found or confirmed several firmware bugs.
I might be wrong so maybe some of you will do same tests and confirm or not - "it's not a bug is a a feature" style.
------------------
a) "Channel 2 is Off" on screen without any reason when using HOR menu or the Trigger menu.
How to test: just press HOR or Trigger menu. The message will pop up.
(@TheBay noted this bug and I can confirm it).

I think this is a feature with an undesired side effect.  I've found that the cause of the "Channel 2 is Off" message stems from the use of the AUTO button. There's also a slightly less annoying work-around than re-entering the CH1/2 menu and switching back to Chan-1.

It turns out that the AUTO button has different behavior depending on what's plugged into the scope's inputs and the channel that's selected in the trigger menu.

(Example-1)
1) Set CHAN-1 to ON and CHAN-2 to OFF and set trigger to CHAN-1. Apply a signal to CHAN-1 only.
2) Press the AUTO button -one time-.
3) The scope will properly display the signal on CHAN-1 but the AUTO button has also toggled the 'selected' channel to CHAN-2 but didn't turn it on. (Verify this by pressing the CH1/2 button and note the highlighted channel).
4) If the AUTO button is pressed again, it will toggle back to CHAN-1. That would be the work-around in most cases, just press the AUTO button a second time.

(Example-2)
1) Set CHAN-1 to ON and CHAN-2 to OFF, and set TRIGGER to CHAN-1. apply a signal to CHAN-2only.
3) CHAN-1 will turn OFF and CHAN-2 will turn ON and the TRIGGER will be switched to CHAN-2
4) Addition presses of the AUTO button will again toggle the 'selected' channel back and forth. CHAN-1 will remain OFF

(Example-3)
1) Apply signals to BOTH channels, it doesn't matter whether either channel is ON or OFF.
3) BOTH channels will turn ON and the scope will trigger on whatever channel the TRIGGER is set to, the AUTO button will no longer toggle between channels.

You may have noticed that certain functions get highlighted on the display after their button is pushed. CH1/2  button will highlight the V/Div in the lower left corner of the display, the HOR and TRIG buttons will highlight their respective functions. With a previous unit I had (and returned) running firmware V4.1.0, the AUTO button would only toggle channel selection when the V/Div indicators were highlighted, if either the HOR or TRIG info on the screen was highlighted the AUTO would not toggle. Seems that in V5.4.0, AUTO will toggle regardless of which function is highlighted.

There may be other behavioral issues with the AUTO button that I haven't run across yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf