Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 198864 times)

Offline Flopdoodley

Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2022, 12:38:07 am »
And about displayed frequency:
Connect the probe to signal generator
Set to Peak detect.
Set Signal generator to Square and 1 -> 10 KHz
Check displayed frequency on scope.
Set Signal generator to Square and 70 -> 80 KHz
Check displayed frequency on scope.
(Optional: use Auto button, change frequency on signal generator and check the result on scope).
 ----
Peak detect in use. Also, notice the arrow that shows trigger level on right.

Sorry my friend, I can't help you. I understand you have certain expectations and that the HDS272 is failing to meet them.

To me, this is not a defect, the peak detect mode is working as it should and the added captured data happens to be tripping up the freq display. The easy answer to getting a stable reading on the freq display is to simply use sample/normal mode. This device meets Owon's published specification and I find it to be quite a handy and unique tool at this price point.

I can tell you that FW Version 5.4.0 the freq display is still behaving in a manner that you would call defective. There may be a newer version available that might address your concerns.

One thing I noticed from other people's attempt to get new firmware, and the responses from Owon, it would not be a surprise to discover that there MAY be limited backward-compatibility between firmware versions.  After all, they've had at least three different versions of the PCB in less than a year's time, multiple FW changes, a known display screen change, the addition of post-production parasite components and a less that willing to attitude to dispense firmware updates (or even communicate).

One could only imagine the cost of technician/programmer/language translator time needed to support years of previous designs across their global product offerings, not to mention component obsolescence. It's much cheaper to ignore the requests unless there's a real problem that could impact current sales. That's how they can sell these units for less (sometimes much less) than $200.

If potential FW compatibility or lack of customer support is an issue, and you have a window of opportunity to return them, you might consider doing so before that window closes. Best of luck! :-+

Regards

The following users thanked this post: luma

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2022, 05:17:58 am »
Hint:

Good luck  ;)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2022, 08:05:25 am »
Hint:

Good luck  ;)

I can't afford to spend 1.5 hours, thanks for posting it anyway; what's the summary of the video please?

Online optotester

• Contributor
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2022, 07:40:04 pm »
For those with HW version 3.0, here is firmware version 5.6.2 for HDS272S (it might work with other devices but I would not take the risk and I assume no liability for any bricked device). Best is still to ask Owon directly to make sure you have the correct version.
The file includes FPGA + OS upgrade.

The following users thanked this post: fuho, eti, rn777, Flopdoodley, tly, oldo439

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2022, 08:12:32 pm »
For those with HW version 3.0, here is firmware version 5.6.2 for HDS272S (it might work with other devices but I would not take the risk and I assume no liability for any bricked device). Best is still to ask Owon directly to make sure you have the correct version.
Upgrade ok. Thank's for firmware.

Firmware 5.6.2 have this bugs.

1. Switching in resistance measurement mode is very slow.

2. In menu oscilloscope not have switch On/Off Buzer

3.FIXED Osciloscope measured frequency is flawed / wrong when Acqu Mode is set to "Peak detect"

How to test:
(Use Mode to switch to activate oscilloscope).
In HOR menu check that Acqu Mode is set to "Sample".
In Measure menu activate Frequency for the channel that you are using.
Connect oscilloscope probe to calibration port.
Check the measured frequncy on display ( it should be 1KHz).
Use HOR menu and set Acqu Mode is set to "Peak detect".
Check the measured frequency on display (on my units 2.2 Khz instead of 1KHz).

4.In Trigger menu: The line that represents Trigger level is shown if Coupling option is set to "DC" but is NOT shown if Coupling option is set to "AC".

How to test:
Press Trig button.
Set Coupling to "DC".
User arrows to set a level.
(Note that trigger level is shown on display like a popup message and a line).
Set Coupling to "AC".
(Note that trigger level is shown on display the line that represents the level is not shown)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:47:49 pm by rn777 »
OWON HDS272s f/w 5.7.1, h/w 3.0, s/n 2152***

The following users thanked this post: Flopdoodley, tly

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2022, 08:48:22 pm »

Wow! Thank you ever so much!  :-+ :D

Attached, proof of the upgraded HDS272S (h/w v3.0)

@rn777 - I have no idea what you mean re triggering - the trigger line is visible, and adjustable, in both AC & DC coupling modes. Obviously it disappears once it is set.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:09:54 am by eti »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2022, 09:07:20 pm »
Just for the laughs, I think I shall email Owon the version 5.6.2 firmware, and ask "Here, would you like this upgrade?" since they didn't bother themselves to reply back with it attached, after THREE emails.  ;D

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2022, 09:25:16 pm »
@rn777 - I have no idea what you mean re triggering - the trigger line is visible, and adjustable, in both AC & DC coupling modes. Obviously it disappears once it is set.
How to test:
Press Trig button.
Set Coupling to "DC".
(Note that trigger level is shown on display like a popup message and a line).
Set Coupling to "AC".
(Note that trigger level is shown on display the line that represents the level is not shown)
Are you testing it?

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2022, 09:28:44 pm »
Just for the laughs, I think I shall email Owon the version 5.6.2 firmware, and ask "Here, would you like this upgrade?" since they didn't bother themselves to reply back with it attached, after THREE emails.  ;D
This will not give a positive effect.
Instead, write to them about the fact that without improving the quality of technical support, they will begin to lose sales.

The following users thanked this post: luma

Offline geoffaus

« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2022, 05:24:06 am »
Hi Folks - first post, be gentle...

I have been reading up on the Owon handheld scopes and I'm keen to know if anyone has any experience using the 'Single' trigger mode.
I'm looking for a portable device that would help me onsite to look at vending style equipment - such as coin mechs and note validators.  These device normally output a pule per dollar - so one 50ms pulse for a $1 coin and two 50ms pulse for a $2 coin with a 50ms gap. Pulses from this gear can be either AC or DC depending on the type of vending machine.

I have a cheap Hantek digital scope I normally take onsite which I set to single trigger mode to 'capture' the waveform which lets me measure the length and amplitude of the pulses.
The Owon HSD200 manual says these handheld units can do 'Single' trigger which reads "When a trigger is detected, a waveform is sampled and then stopped" - which sounds perfect.

I'm just keen to know if anyone has and real life experience using single trigger on these units?
Thanks in advance

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2022, 06:49:57 am »
Hi Folks - first post, be gentle...

I have been reading up on the Owon handheld scopes and I'm keen to know if anyone has any experience using the 'Single' trigger mode.
I'm looking for a portable device that would help me onsite to look at vending style equipment - such as coin mechs and note validators.  These device normally output a pule per dollar - so one 50ms pulse for a $1 coin and two 50ms pulse for a $2 coin with a 50ms gap. Pulses from this gear can be either AC or DC depending on the type of vending machine.

I have a cheap Hantek digital scope I normally take onsite which I set to single trigger mode to 'capture' the waveform which lets me measure the length and amplitude of the pulses.
The Owon HSD200 manual says these handheld units can do 'Single' trigger which reads "When a trigger is detected, a waveform is sampled and then stopped" - which sounds perfect.

I'm just keen to know if anyone has and real life experience using single trigger on these units?
Thanks in advance

Owner here. Yes it works well.  Have a look at Kim Wong's review of the HDS272S on YouTube.

PS: I remember playing around with "Mars" MS111/ME111 coin mechs, back in the 90s .my friend got then from an arcade she worked at here in England. They were (are?) made from very robust  black glass reincorced nylon, if I recall. They had sense coils embedded into the plastic with clear resin, a stainless steel, solenoid-controlled gate (reject ramp?) and IR break-beam opto coupler pairs in the coin path, and I think a PNP output via pin headers.

I don't suppose you have any you could spare? I've been looking  for years, merely for sentiment, as they are fascinating devices.

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:12:57 am by eti »

The following users thanked this post: geoffaus

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2022, 11:25:18 am »

It should work OK for what you need.
(In image: constant 1V power source output that has a 5V spike at power off.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:29:26 am by tly »

The following users thanked this post: geoffaus

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2022, 03:14:23 pm »

To spare effort for HDS272 (without signal generator) owners, this fw does not apply.
HW 3.0 FW5.4.0 - get "Upgrade error 3"

Offline Rigattoni

« Reply #263 on: January 29, 2022, 04:34:59 pm »
Hi folks,

I have read already for a couple of months now and I decided to get one for car repairs.So I am new in the world of these handhelds.
So I got now the OWON HDS 242S, but I have an issue, because this damn thing is in Chinese and I can not switch it to English as this is nowhere written...

Can anybody give me a hand on it, please?

I even don´t know how the get the firmware version out of it... Any hints?

Thanks a lot.

Offline tly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #264 on: January 29, 2022, 05:19:10 pm »
So I got now the OWON HDS 242S, but I have an issue, because this damn thing is in Chinese and I can not switch it to English as this is nowhere written...

System button -> F2 button  -> F1 button
System -> [System] -> [Language]

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline Rigattoni

« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2022, 06:10:42 pm »
Ahhhh... there we are.
Thanks a lot @tly, appreciate that! :-+
Now it is usable. Why the heck don´t they just add a note somewhere on their page.  :palm:(don´t want to speak about changing the manual...  :-DD )

Offline hobbeeist

• Contributor
« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2022, 09:34:13 pm »
Why the heck don´t they just add a note somewhere on their page.

To Owon's credit, they actually did include details on how to change the language back, in the upgrade instructions PDF in the firmware attached to post 83 of this thread. I'm not sure why that PDF wasn't included in the latest upgrade zip that was posted.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2022, 10:04:05 pm »
Why the heck don´t they just add a note somewhere on their page.

To Owon's credit, they actually did include details on how to change the language back, in the upgrade instructions PDF in the firmware attached to post 83 of this thread. I'm not sure why that PDF wasn't included in the latest upgrade zip that was posted.

An intelligent company would save prefs and restore them after updates.

Offline Rigattoni

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2022, 10:19:19 pm »
So they really "forget" the settings on updates? Really???   :palm:
I didn´t yet update it, because I was otherwise engaged, to look how to find out the current firmware. That was the plan for tomorrow.

Let´see what I got so far.

...and please be patient with me. I am new in the world of these handhelds. At work we have better oscilloscopes but not usable at my car. That was the reason to buy an own. I think I will have the one or the other question within the next weeks.... pretty sure.
And nice to have a community here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:23:47 pm by Rigattoni »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2022, 10:23:06 pm »
So they really "forget" the settings on updates? Really???   :palm:
I didn´t yet update it, because I was otherwise engaged, to look how to find out the current firmware. That was the plan for tomorrow.

Let´see what I got so far.

I don't know about any other settings, but forgetting the language is a HUGE faux pas, and demonstrates incompetent programming.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2022, 09:42:42 am »
Please I need Help!! I flashed V5 firmware on an older version board (2.0 stupid me didn't know owon had different board rev's) and it essentially bricked the display portion. I do have button functions but no display and can still flash new firmware so if anyone has ver 3.1-3.2 for VER 2.0 board HDS272S, PLEASE I need it badly!! it would be extremely appreciated :-+
Thank you very much!
Daniel

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2022, 09:02:47 pm »
Please I need Help!! I flashed V5 firmware on an older version board (2.0 stupid me didn't know owon had different board rev's) and it essentially bricked the display portion. I do have button functions but no display and can still flash new firmware so if anyone has ver 3.1-3.2 for VER 2.0 board HDS272S, PLEASE I need it badly!! it would be extremely appreciated :-+
Thank you very much!
Daniel

Bless you, Daniel. You are not "stupid" - we only know what we know, and we learn from our mistakes - they are invaluable. I hope someone can find the firmware for you, and I'll try to remember to have a trawl around the net, later on. GOD bless you.

Offline harddkyss

• Contributor
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2022, 10:17:44 pm »
Thank you eti. I think the swelling is finally going down from banging my head on the table.
 |O

Offline rn777

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2022, 10:28:07 pm »
Thank you very much!
Daniel
You need send e-mail to this info@owon.com.cn adres and request last firmware fore you h/w vercion pcb.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2022, 10:48:13 pm »
Thank you very much!
Daniel
You need send e-mail to this info@owon.com.cn adres and request last firmware fore you h/w vercion pcb.
Good luck, the Chinese are all on holiday for CNY.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf