Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 202990 times)

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #625 on: March 29, 2023, 10:13:25 pm »
https://owonna.com/products_owon_hds300_series_digital_oscilloscope

Has anyone bought the "new" model HDS307/310(S) and can say something about it? The main changes mentioned by the manufacturer are: 30 MHz generator (sine), 6 MHz (square) and RMS value in the oscilloscope. The price is higher than the HDS200 series.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 10:24:19 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline janiorib

« Reply #626 on: March 31, 2023, 11:13:06 pm »
https://owonna.com/products_owon_hds300_series_digital_oscilloscope

Has anyone bought the "new" model HDS307/310(S) and can say something about it? The main changes mentioned by the manufacturer are: 30 MHz generator (sine), 6 MHz (square) and RMS value in the oscilloscope. The price is higher than the HDS200 series.
A simple measurement function from RMS to
hds 200 line doesn't have it, here comes this one from the hds 300 series with this more expensive function, my hds272s doesn't have it. :--

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #627 on: April 01, 2023, 09:34:28 am »
Review of the HDS2202S by Kerry Wong: https://youtu.be/1UaankSg1YI

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2023, 01:30:51 pm »
Hello, I have a new HDS272 it works very well but I have detected that when it is stopped for a few days (or not) sometimes when it starts up a message appears

(white letters on a black background) of an error similar to something in the system image, I could not to be able to take a photo, after that error the oscilloscope

starts and everything works, what problem could it have?

I have sent an email to info@owon.com.cn but I don't know if someone will answer

Model : HDS272
SN : 2303XXXX
Ver : V8.1.0
Checksum : c1c4fd14

Offline JacobPilsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #629 on: May 02, 2023, 06:41:00 pm »
I could not to be able to take a photo
So, make a video, and then take a screenshot from that.

The following users thanked this post: Jon.C

Offline VaZso

« Reply #630 on: May 02, 2023, 10:18:30 pm »
Hello, I have a new HDS272 it works very well but I have detected that when it is stopped for a few days (or not) sometimes when it starts up a message appears
(white letters on a black background) of an error similar to something in the system image, I could not to be able to take a photo, after that error the oscilloscope starts and everything works, what problem could it have?

I haven't checked it right now but I had a suspect earlier that this message appears the next boot after selecting firmware update in scope's menu, so if update was selected but no update file was present at next boot.

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2023, 04:51:17 am »
(white letters on a black background) of an error similar to something in the system image, I could not to be able to take a photo, after that error the oscilloscope starts and everything works, what problem could it have?

I haven't checked it right now but I had a suspect earlier that this message appears the next boot after selecting firmware update in scope's menu, so if update was selected but no update file was present at next boot.

interesting , it is possible since I was going through all the menus to learn them, I will do the test
thank you

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #632 on: May 18, 2023, 05:44:53 am »
opinion

Which oscilloscope is better HDS272 or DSO2512G for PC and laptop motherboard repair?

I like the direct single button of the DSO2512G

thanks for the opinions

Offline pvalila

« Reply #633 on: May 19, 2023, 07:11:52 pm »
opinion

Which oscilloscope is better HDS272 or DSO2512G for PC and laptop motherboard repair?

thanks for the opinions

Same question, but I would add audio repair etc.

HDS272 is 250 MSa/sec only. HDS2102S would be more like DSO2512G (500 MS and with a function generator) but it is twice the price of DSO.

No FFT in Owon - except its PC software is said to have that option (which was also said not to work).

Owon's own screen is ok (size and quality) and, thereafter, its PC software does not give much value to most users (remote screen update is very slow).

DSO has no PC software but it has an analog video out for an external monitor. The resolution is terrible but at least the screen update is fast.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #634 on: May 20, 2023, 03:14:13 am »
opinion

thanks for the opinions

The thread reviewing the DSO2512G is not very kind. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-2ch-pocket-dsosg-sigpeak-dso2512g/msg4282615/#msg4282615

The HDS series works very well and clearly meets its specifications.

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #635 on: May 20, 2023, 12:49:23 pm »
opinion

thanks for the opinions

The thread reviewing the DSO2512G is not very kind. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-2ch-pocket-dsosg-sigpeak-dso2512g/msg4282615/#msg4282615

The HDS series works very well and clearly meets its specifications.

very very interesting

thank you

The following users thanked this post: NoMoreMagicSmoke

Offline miklas

« Reply #636 on: May 23, 2023, 08:18:27 pm »
Hello guys, I bought 2102s, and it seems it got some issue with noise. I got about 120-160mV on 1V/div,
1,2v-1,6V on 10V/div and so on. Does anybody had similar issue with it? I contacted seller(bg), but they claim that manufacturer said that "small noise is no problem" :palm:

https://youtu.be/N5MOkVwMtk8

And by the way the internals in my unit are propably the same as higher 2202s model, because it seems the same comparing with teardown photos, and it has Linsi brand ADC.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #637 on: May 24, 2023, 01:06:57 am »
Hello guys, I bought 2102s, and it seems it got some issue with noise. I got about 120-160mV on 1V/div,
1,2v-1,6V on 10V/div and so on. Does anybody had similar issue with it? I contacted seller(bg), but they claim that manufacturer said that "small noise is no problem" :palm:

And by the way the internals in my unit are propably the same as higher 2202s model, because it seems the same comparing with teardown photos, and it has Linsi brand ADC.

In your video it appears that the BNC connections are not connected. What do you see if you attach the probe and short the probe to the ground clip?

Offline miklas

« Reply #638 on: May 24, 2023, 01:21:34 am »
Aww, sorry. I forgot to put it in film, but there is literally no difference. Of course at first I thought the same, so shorted probe to ground and outcome is the same. On both channels exactly. Later on, I thought maybe my computer, or monitor, or something is transmitting noise so i powered down my whole place and closed myself in voltageless bathroom for autocalibration  :-DD But still, no improvement. Even changed probes from my siglent, and others cheapo's but obviously no change.  |O

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #639 on: May 24, 2023, 01:36:32 am »
Aww, sorry. I forgot to put it in film, but there is literally no difference. Of course at first I thought the same, so shorted probe to ground and outcome is the same. On both channels exactly. Later on, I thought maybe my computer, or monitor, or something is transmitting noise so i powered down my whole place and closed myself in voltageless bathroom for autocalibration  :-DD But still, no improvement. Even changed probes from my siglent, and others cheapo's but obviously no change.  |O

I just tested my HDS2102s, and I have a consistent noise of 1.5%fs on all input ranges (ex. in the 1V/div range full scale is 8V and I see 120mv of noise).  Looking at your video, when you zoom in on the last portion, the noise was recorded at the 20V scale, and zoomed in showed to be about +-0.500V. Doing the math, at the 20V range the full scale is 160V, which on an 8 bit scope results in 160/256=0.625V/count, or +-1 count of noise.

Doing the same math on the image in your post, the 1V/div range has 8V full scale which has 8/256=0.0315V per count. The noise is 0.2V which is 0.2/0.0315 = 6.349 counts of noise, or +-3 counts of noise.

Honestly seeing +-1 to +-3 counts of noise seems to be pretty good for a $200 scope.

Offline miklas

« Reply #640 on: May 24, 2023, 10:56:28 am »
It was on 10V/div an it showed 1,6Vpp. Now when im doing the math the way You showed me, it results constantly 1/40 os the scale is noise so 256/40=6,4 counts off. And You say this is normal for those? For example I am measuring 9V battery on 2V/div(so 16V full scale), and I see 400mV of noise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I expected some more accuracy :( I watched some videos before buy, and seems there was perfectly stable line.

And btw, did You maybe chcecked your's hardware inside? They differ, and mine unit when boots up there is a progress bar(there is none in those I saw reviews), and it eats about 0,92A @4V. The software version is v4.1.0

The following users thanked this post: pso

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #641 on: May 24, 2023, 12:48:21 pm »
It was on 10V/div an it showed 1,6Vpp. Now when im doing the math the way You showed me, it results constantly 1/40 os the scale is noise so 256/40=6,4 counts off. And You say this is normal for those? For example I am measuring 9V battery on 2V/div(so 16V full scale), and I see 400mV of noise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I expected some more accuracy :( I watched some videos before buy, and seems there was perfectly stable line.

And btw, did You maybe chcecked your's hardware inside? They differ, and mine unit when boots up there is a progress bar(there is none in those I saw reviews), and it eats about 0,92A @4V. The software version is v4.1.0

My scope is firmware version 2.4.1 and has the progress bar when booting. I don't know which ADC chip it has.

I tested a 9 volt battery on mine using the 5v/div scale since the 2v/div maxes at +8v. I see the 0.6v of noise (again 1.5% of full scale or +-2 counts of noise) that you suggest in the measurements, but I also see a nice straight line on the graph. BUT if I wanted to see the ripple on the battery I would put the scope into AC coupled mode and use whatever range would most fill the screen with the signal. This means that I would be in a mV range to measure ripple NOT the 5v/div range.

Scopes in general are not precision measurement instruments. Scopes are great visualization tools that have gross measurement capabilities. In my experience zooming in on a frozen signal is always quite noisy on a scope even the nice tek scopes I use at work.

Could you post an image of your scope measuring a 9v in the 5v/div range?

Offline miklas

« Reply #642 on: May 24, 2023, 01:39:49 pm »
You're right. In 10mV/div it shows almost nothing. Maybe I have some bias from using better siglent scope(not for long, I got it last december), and I have not been using many models. I attached some pics, in 2V/div I pushed vertical position -3V so it is visible on screen.

Interestingly about the software, it seems there are couple of batches for 2102s. From 1.5, 2.4, 3something, to 4.1
and there is none available for download for 2202s, so maybe, just maybe, some of them are just software downgraded and there is possibility for upgrade :)

And from another bottle, the battery issue some of users descibed, is also present in mine unit, but let's say it is no big deal, just little annoying. Some said that this is scaled well, but from my measurements, when scope screams low battery, there is still at least half of juice in them. Ignoring this message it can work for long long time still.
So it shows a full battery bar until it drops to 3,98V.
Another step(like 2/3) is below 3,89V.
Another(half) is at 3,81V which is quite right.
And it shows almost empty with little red bar, and low battery message at 3,69V when battery is still about half full. It might be 40-60% depending by cell chemistry, but definitely not low ;)
In the end little red bar disappears at 3,57V and battery bar seems fully depleted.
and it powers down at 3,43V. So the scaling could be better definitely.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:42:06 pm by miklas »

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #643 on: May 25, 2023, 01:49:30 am »
You're right. In 10mV/div it shows almost nothing. Maybe I have some bias from using better siglent scope(not for long, I got it last december), and I have not been using many models. I attached some pics, in 2V/div I pushed vertical position -3V so it is visible on screen.

Interestingly about the software, it seems there are couple of batches for 2102s. From 1.5, 2.4, 3something, to 4.1
and there is none available for download for 2202s, so maybe, just maybe, some of them are just software downgraded and there is possibility for upgrade :)

And from another bottle, the battery issue some of users descibed, is also present in mine unit, but let's say it is no big deal, just little annoying. Some said that this is scaled well, but from my measurements, when scope screams low battery, there is still at least half of juice in them. Ignoring this message it can work for long long time still.
So it shows a full battery bar until it drops to 3,98V.
Another step(like 2/3) is below 3,89V.
Another(half) is at 3,81V which is quite right.
And it shows almost empty with little red bar, and low battery message at 3,69V when battery is still about half full. It might be 40-60% depending by cell chemistry, but definitely not low ;)
In the end little red bar disappears at 3,57V and battery bar seems fully depleted.
and it powers down at 3,43V. So the scaling could be better definitely.

Based on my reading, it appears that Owon is creating firmware specific to each hardware revision of the board. Which is unfortunate because it means it's not possible to simply update the firmware.

Interesting that our scopes seem to both have the startup graphic, but drastically different firmware numbers. Could you post a picture of the other side of your board? I am curious how it compares to mine.

I tested my battery out and noticed that it to turns off at 3.5v and charged to 4.20 volts. I am ok with this, because that is mostly discharged, and it's harder on the batteries to go much deeper. I would rather sacrifice a small amount of runtime for a longer lifespan of the battery. Mine does run for almost exactly 4 hours though, which is less that the 6 hours that they originally advertised.

Overall I think this scope is great for what it is and its price. I wish it had a higher output frequency of the signal generator, could do FFT, and calculate RMS for the waveforms, but even without that it is extremely usable and a great addition to my toolbox. The DMM is complete garbage, but I had no intention of actually using it when I purchased it so I don't really care.  :-DD

Offline miklas

« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2023, 11:40:38 am »
Sure here's the photo. Sorry I've been little busy.
Yep it is nice for the price, but could be great if soft would be open source  :horse:
I saw that the higher model 2202s have RMS, and allover one more page(3 more options) of measuring options.
And about DMM, I totally forgot that it even has one  :-DD, For my liking it could had none, and cost less, and be even smaller. But whatever :)

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #645 on: May 27, 2023, 11:03:14 pm »

I have very similar noise in hds2102s (hw:v1.1, fw:v3.0.0). I feel like quality control is going downhill. I saw various videos on youtube with models 272 and 2102 - the oscillograms were less noisy. In my owon more noise appeared after a few months of use.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:28:54 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline miklas

« Reply #646 on: May 28, 2023, 11:03:59 pm »
Yep, it is not much maybe, but I decided to buy it after Mr. Kerry Wong's video's. And in there the oscillogram sat still as f.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2023, 03:30:11 am »
Sure here's the photo. Sorry I've been little busy.
Yep it is nice for the price, but could be great if soft would be open source  :horse:
I saw that the higher model 2202s have RMS, and allover one more page(3 more options) of measuring options.
And about DMM, I totally forgot that it even has one  :-DD, For my liking it could had none, and cost less, and be even smaller. But whatever :)

Interesting. Your board model matches mine, but your is slightly higher revision.

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2023, 11:50:49 am »
@miklas, this is a video from my owon from 3-4 months ago (there are other videos about hds2102s):

An another video:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 12:56:39 pm by orb »
I came here for a while.

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #649 on: May 31, 2023, 04:23:36 am »
What is your acquisition mode set to? If I set mine to sample I see a thinner trace, but more visible noise (like Orb's video). If I set my aquisition mode to peak detect however, I get a thicker but very stable trace (like Kerry Wong's videos).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf